Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner M

by Hand Knit
And its felt really important. It felt big.

FYI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

oh yeah, the permian, it's kind of cool I suppose . . . if you like [googles furiously] the diversification of the two groups of amniotes, the synapsids and the sauropsids (reptiles)

ty nesamdoom!

Ventral EggSac

the Permian would've lasted longer but it got rained on

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

oh yeah, the permian, it's kind of cool I suppose . . . if you like [googles furiously] the diversification of the two groups of amniotes, the synapsids and the sauropsids (reptiles)

ty manifisto

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

apparently all the permian period is in this big basin in west texas now and they suck it up from the ground with big straws like a milkshake and then we burn it in our cars

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Honestly it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to avoid a permian but you usually get probated a few times as a warning

more falafel please

forums poster

I didn't need to read about it, I lived it! in the 80s! with my wife! please!

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Dimetrodon!!! This is a really interesting period to study because of the terabiota but specifically DIMETRODON EVOLVED DURING THIS TIME.

Arguably one of the coolest things to happen during that period.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Mormon Nailer posted:

Dimetrodon!!! This is a really interesting period to study because of the terabiota but specifically DIMETRODON EVOLVED DURING THIS TIME.

Arguably one of the coolest things to happen during that period.

You can't convince me they weren't feathered.

alnilam

My kid has a bunch of lil rubber dinos but dimetrodon aka "sail dino" is her fav

Ankylosaurus aka "ouchy dino" is a close second though

ty manifisto

alnilam

I don't have the heart to tell her they missed coexisting by like 200 million years

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

I don't have the heart to tell her they missed coexisting by like 200 million years

a caring dad would jurassic park up some dinos for her

ty nesamdoom!

The Hello Machine

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
You ever wonder what humans would be like during a permian?? Like. Would we be rocks? Would we be worms? Would we be trees? Would we be the sky/air? Would we be the moon?

Or would we simply be

You and me

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

dae permian

makes u think

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I would definitely be plankton. Just, you know, floatin around, eatin stuff, maybe gently caress my plankton friends, make some new plankton, who the gently caress knows, the world is not yet your oyster because Ostreidae had a mass extinction during the Permian era so maybe the world is your Nautilida I dunno

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

apparently all the permian period is in this big basin in west texas now and they suck it up from the ground with big straws like a milkshake and then we burn it in our cars

lived there for 12 years can confirm

it’s 112 degrees 2/3 of the year and looks like the surface of the moon if the surface of the moon was covered with tumbleweeds

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

HUSKY DILF posted:

lived there for 12 years can confirm

it’s 112 degrees 2/3 of the year and looks like the surface of the moon if the surface of the moon was covered with tumbleweeds

You sig url needs attention

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Natural history is wild, it's just rocks moving or something. Or maybe glaciers shaering out valleys out of basalt or something? And continental plates shifting perhaps?

GoutPatrol

*Stupid Babby*

we're not talking about my hairstyle again please

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Really wish I were an algal bloom fuckin floatin on some acidic high salt seas rn

Stoner Sloth

Prurient Squid posted:

Natural history is wild, it's just rocks moving or something. Or maybe glaciers shaering out valleys out of basalt or something? And continental plates shifting perhaps?

natural history is amazing - i studied a bit of geology along with biology and the whole 'deep time' stuff is both humbling and fascinating imo

there's a spot just down the coast from here where you can see the deep gouge marks that the last glaciers that moved across the country left and even see the direction they were moving in from it

also the ediacaran geological periood is named after the ediacara hills in the flinders ranges here which have some of the oldest fossils of multicellular life that we know of (from 635-541 million years ago)

GoutPatrol posted:

we're not talking about my hairstyle again please

lol also love your av mate

Finger Prince

I'd like to see the Burgess shale fossil beds, but so far the closest I've got is stopping for gas in Field on a motorbike trip. One day I will do more than stop for gas or drive past. One day. As a ghost maybe.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

I'd like to see the Burgess shale fossil beds, but so far the closest I've got is stopping for gas in Field on a motorbike trip. One day I will do more than stop for gas or drive past. One day. As a ghost maybe.

Gas, mass, or Panthalassa, nobody gets through the Permian period for free

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

:perfect:

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

also the ediacaran geological periood is named after the ediacara hills in the flinders ranges here which have some of the oldest fossils of multicellular life that we know of (from 635-541 million years ago)

I have seen maybe not those fossils exactly but some real old fossils in situ in the flinders ranges and it's really cool

if anyone has the chance to visit aus and get off the beaten path, I highly recommend the flinders ranges, it's danged beautiful there with extremely interesting geology

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

Escape From Noise posted:

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

I have seen maybe not those fossils exactly but some real old fossils in situ in the flinders ranges and it's really cool

if anyone has the chance to visit aus and get off the beaten path, I highly recommend the flinders ranges, it's danged beautiful there with extremely interesting geology

agreed - there's also some interesting living biology, i reckon our good friend GaG would love it there cause there are ant-mimicking spiders around in numbers for starters!

also great place if you like looking at stars - some of the best in the world really cause the combo of desert + no light pollution + good southern viewing angle makes for spectacular views of the heavens (chile and parts of south africa maybe similar though, although in the flinders you got less people around so light pollution maybe one area we win at)

went a few times as a kid, and i used to go camping there on occasion and went up there with geology trips and stuff - would love to get back there some day in the not too distant future

e: also if you do make it up there make sure you take a look at arkaroola - trust me

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 26, 2021

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
yeah dimetrodon is pretty cool i guess when you're coming from like, t-rex and triceratops, but once you've been in the scene for a bit there's way cooler sail dinos

i've been more into post-permian lately

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Sherbert Hoover posted:

yeah dimetrodon is pretty cool i guess when you're coming from like, t-rex and triceratops, but once you've been in the scene for a bit there's way cooler sail dinos

Wow rude af I've been into dimetrodon for millennia, I bet you haven't even looked into their greatest hits let alone the back catalog

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Fuckin Dinosaur Jr fans every time

Stoner Sloth

Sherbert Hoover posted:

an interesting dimetrodon fact is that they were not actually dinosaurs but rather synapsids - this means they were more closely related to mammals than to dinosaurs, reptiles and birds!

(mammals themselves are synapsids too)

rad dino tho!

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
yeah definitely man. i've been a big fan for a long time.

oh my favorite synapsid fact? probably that Unlike other amniotes, they have a temporal fenestra, an opening low in the skull roof behind each eye, leaving a bony arch beneath each; this accounts for their name.[5]

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Stoner Sloth

Sherbert Hoover posted:

yeah definitely man. i've been a big fan for a long time.

oh my favorite synapsid fact? probably that Unlike other amniotes, they have a temporal fenestra, an opening low in the skull roof behind each eye, leaving a bony arch beneath each; this accounts for their name.[5]

ah but this leads me to the best and most BYOB dimetrodon fact of all - mammary glands evolved in the carboniferous period SO our good friend the dimetrodon was in fact fully sexual with proto-mammalian titties!!

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

Stoner Sloth

:sickos:

Ventral EggSac

wawawewa

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

:captainpop:

Manifisto

<:mad:>

:rznv:

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon

by sebmojo
more like gas thread permian op

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!