Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GreenNight posted:

90s? Supernatural tried the same thing a few years back where Sam and Dean were in it for all of 5 minutes.

Yeah but 90s sitcoms were especially blatant. They always follow the same formula too, the episode starts like normal, then they Go To A New Location with All The New And Likeable Characters where they spend 75% of their screentime setting up their relationships, then the original show characters show up again for a minute or two, then the episode ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Blackish and Goldbergs did the same, the tradition has not died.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

socialsecurity posted:

Blackish and Goldbergs did the same, the tradition has not died.

They were doing it in the 80's, there's an episode of Three's Company all about the Ropers looking at a new apartment.

Luckily that one took, because Mr. Furley was a better foil anyway.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm not opposed to spinoffs, my all time favorite TV show is a spinoff, I just thoroughly enjoy how blatant and poorly conceived most 90s spinoff setups were done.
Like Cheers didn't have an episode where they all went to Seattle to meet Frasier's wacky friends and off-kilter family; Cheers ended and everyone adored the character of Frasier so the writers all went well, why not and TV royalty was born.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

gently caress, now I need to rewatch Frasier

Hell yeah

Also I keep trying to catch up on The Good Fight and Evil but the Paramount+ app has suddenly decided to start doing some kind of boot loop type of poo poo on my fire stick. I don’t know what it is about that app, I’ve had it go weird on three devices now :negative:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
For every Frasier there's like at least five The Tortellis.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

they kept doing that with sitcoms because in the 70s and 80s norman lear managed to do it repeatedly to incredible success. people forget just how many sitcoms that are classics in their own right are just spinoffs of all in the family. hell, good times is a spin off of the jeffersons which is a spin off of all in the family. i dont think maude was progenitor to any other shows but i cant remember. then all in the family managed to spin off into...itself, with archie bunker's place.

of course, sitcom writers in the 90s and 00s were emphatically NOT norman lear, so it never worked. but once upon a time, it really did!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpBwt4hFN8

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but 90s sitcoms were especially blatant. They always follow the same formula too, the episode starts like normal, then they Go To A New Location with All The New And Likeable Characters where they spend 75% of their screentime setting up their relationships, then the original show characters show up again for a minute or two, then the episode ends.

On the softer end Office and Superstore both had episodes that were potentially the spark of a spinoff. Office tried a Dwight show and Superstore was trying to do a Cheyenne/Bo, but those still featured more regular characters than new potential ones and if you didn't know would seem like episodes just heavily focused on a side cast member.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The pandemic has really given me an opportunity to watch Frasier all the way through six or seven times. Its great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

On the softer end Office and Superstore both had episodes that were potentially the spark of a spinoff. Office tried a Dwight show and Superstore was trying to do a Cheyenne/Bo, but those still featured more regular characters than new potential ones and if you didn't know would seem like episodes just heavily focused on a side cast member.

I never kept up with Superstore, but I can’t imagine a Cheyenne/Bo centric show being remotely watchable.

I probably would have watched the Dwight spinoff, though. Rainn Wilson deserves an easy paycheck and that detective show he did post-Office was not a good fit.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never kept up with Superstore, but I can’t imagine a Cheyenne/Bo centric show being remotely watchable.

I probably would have watched the Dwight spinoff, though. Rainn Wilson deserves an easy paycheck and that detective show he did post-Office was not a good fit.

It might have been ok, it woulda been Dwight on his farm; like an office-ified green acers with his siblings playing the city people.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I'd watch the Dwight show, there's plenty of places to go Dwight became a pretty interesting person as the show went on. Superstore bo/chey, I even like the guy who plays Bo independently of that show and Cheyenne was funny in Superstore, but there's nothing really there to build a show off of.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

AceOfFlames posted:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1440574744776962054

"I'm here to tell you about the Glass Elevator Initiative."

John Carmack broke my brain and I will never not expand "The BFG" into "The Big loving Gun."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Backdoor pilots" have always been a thing. The Incredible Hulk had two or three of them in their 5 season run (and an additional TWO with the TV movies years later).

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

they kept doing that with sitcoms because in the 70s and 80s norman lear managed to do it repeatedly to incredible success. people forget just how many sitcoms that are classics in their own right are just spinoffs of all in the family. hell, good times is a spin off of the jeffersons which is a spin off of all in the family. i dont think maude was progenitor to any other shows but i cant remember. then all in the family managed to spin off into...itself, with archie bunker's place.

of course, sitcom writers in the 90s and 00s were emphatically NOT norman lear, so it never worked. but once upon a time, it really did!

Neither was Norman Lear in the 1990s, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwf3d4WocA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has Netflix or streaming services done that yet, or they have so little control or stakes over it that there's not much way or reasons or timing to do that sort of thing?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Crazy to think that 25 years ago MTV still had music... :corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTFAiYbR9o

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Khanstant posted:

Has Netflix or streaming services done that yet, or they have so little control or stakes over it that there's not much way or reasons or timing to do that sort of thing?
Every single Marvel Netflix show backdoor piloted another show, for one.

Every single Marvel and Star Wars Disney show has at least attempted to pilot multiple other shows, doesn't always work out

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
There was a screening of the first two episodes of Midnight Mass tonight. Really great atmosphere and setting, good performances (Hamish Linklater was a standout) and looked gorgeous. Feels like a pretty slow burn, only a couple of spooky scares so far. I know not everyone cares for Mike Flanagan but I'm a sucker for his stuff, really excited for the series to come out on Friday

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fun drinking game, take a shot everytime there's a scene shot through a mirror in Saul. Keep an ambulance on speedial

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stop Lying to your wife you prick

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The Dwight farm episode wasn't even planned as a backdoor pilot. It was originally filmed as a straight pilot. The result was so disappointing for everyone involved they just said gently caress it and added a few scenes including the other Office actors and moved on to other projects.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 23, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The announcement of the spinoff of Kim's Convenience botched things up since it spoils that a couple in the show is going to break up. The show wasn't even done airing yet when they announced the new cast.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah, looking forward to that as I'm wondering if the lack of audience is connected to my slight waning enthusiasm for the show.

Might I recommend Taskmaster New Zealand season 2 that recently ended? I thought it was great and I've seen a lot of people rate it as one of the top 3 TM seasons ever.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The first thing I think of when I hear “backdoor pilot” is when MacGyver had this entire family of bounty hunters who would one by one that would cross paths with Mac until all of a sudden they all came together for an episode where Mac only showed up at the very end. It felt like the oddest thing because even back then I didn’t understand why anyone who liked watching Mac makeshift gadget his way out of trouble would want to watch a generic crime show.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Davros1 posted:

"Backdoor pilots" have always been a thing. The Incredible Hulk had two or three of them in their 5 season run (and an additional TWO with the TV movies years later).

I knew about Thor and Daredevil but what were the others?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

oh man is Doom Patrol back. Fraser Nation baby

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MechaSeinfeld posted:

oh man is Doom Patrol back. Fraser Nation baby

gently caress yes. The last season ended on a cliff hanger, but not a normal season ending one, it was very abrupt and I assume because of COVID.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they literally had to shut down partway through shooting the final episode lol

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It doesn't match "All in the Family," but "Happy Days" was no slouch in the spin-off department:

Laverne & Shirley
Mork & Mindy
Blansky's Beauties
Out of the Blue
Joannie Loves Chachi

Plus three (3) Saturday morning cartoons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doom Patrol status: still owns

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sentinel Red posted:

I knew about Thor and Daredevil but what were the others?

I got confused; there was only one backdoor pilot (the confusion was because the backdoor pilot was actually a sequel to another Hulk ep). It wasn't comic book related; it was for a series that was to star Rick Springfield as a cop who had been mentored by a wise man played by Mako

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

If I remember right (and it is entirely possible I'm forgetting by now) the Dwight spinoff was passed on before the backdoor episode aired, which meant that they then reshot parts of the backdoor episode to make it less backdoor-sy. It also helped that some of the characters in the backdoor pilot had already been in The Office, and the new love interest from the backdoor then got brought into a few more episodes, so it didn't stick out quite so much.

Davros1 posted:

In comics, wasn't the Hulk himself kind of originally backdoored into Spider-Man as an intro before getting his own title?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Might I recommend Taskmaster New Zealand season 2 that recently ended? I thought it was great and I've seen a lot of people rate it as one of the top 3 TM seasons ever.

I’m still making my way through s1, but good to hear it continues strong.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Khanstant posted:

That 1 off episode of Stranger Things where Eleven went on an 80's punk adventure in Chicago with other psy-mutants or whatever they are felt a lot like a backdoor pilot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate that episode so much.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The announcement of the spinoff of Kim's Convenience botched things up since it spoils that a couple in the show is going to break up. The show wasn't even done airing yet when they announced the new cast.

Are they even still making that? Such a strange character to try and spin-off, she was fine in small doses on Kim's Convenience, but just odd to make a whole show out of, even without all the shittiness that was going on around it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Foundation starts tomorrow on Apple+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4QYV5GTz7c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It looks like [adult swim] is losing the 8PM Eastern hour to regular Cartoon Network.