Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If we're talking oddball incredibly unlikely video game suggestions, I'd say Titanfall 2 would work incredibly well for the following reasons;

1) unlike a lot of Mecha video games the main character has an actual personality and their personal robot has a set design rather than being interchangeable or customizable

2) the game has a tight cohesive story

3) BT would work as a SRW unit quite well as he has a lot of things one could base attacks on

4) the IMC and Blisk's mercenaries would work really as enemies in a SRW context

5) some ripe crossover possibilities, especially with shows centered around either rebellions or AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Monaghan posted:

G reco is probablly one of the most polarizing gundam series I've seen, people either love it or really don't like it. I'm the latter(though I do like the mechs, hence my avatar).

People outside Japan have really weird loving taste in mecha in general i find period. Either they just plain dont even give stuff a chance at all or they pick some of the most aggressively mediocre stuff to absolutely champion that Japan just doesn't seem to give a right gently caress about honestly or just gets filtered into the plethora of also ran stuff they've gotten plenty of over the decades. Gundam is practically a non starter outside Japan these days it seems period whereas there it still feels like king poo poo of the mecha heap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

G-Reco's great, but it's paced kind of odd and the way it presents things seems to throw a lot of people off. The currently-ongoing movies seem likely to be the best way to watch it, but unfortunately they're not finished and are only available as Japanese imports (with subs) at expensive Japanese home media prices.

The first two movies were briefly available on the Gundam youtube channel, so they might pop up again.

I wasn't too hot on it, myself. One of Tomino's greatest strengths and weaknesses as a director is his tendency to not give details when most people would. When there's enough to fill in the gaps, it's great, and it makes the viewer feel a deeper connection to the story. When there isn't, well, you get G-Reco, where important details are intentionally excluded so the viewer is left in the dark for major setting elements until you get clunky exposition on the subject later that sometimes just makes it more confusing.

Still. Pretty good looking, good sound design, and some creative ideas. I'm not sorry I watched it. I just wish it came together better.

Kale posted:

People outside Japan have really weird loving taste in mecha in general i find period. Either they just plain dont even give stuff a chance at all or they pick some of the most aggressively mediocre stuff to absolutely champion that Japan just doesn't seem to give a right gently caress about honestly or just gets filtered into the plethora of also ran stuff they've gotten plenty of over the decades. Gundam is practically a non starter outside Japan these days it seems period whereas there it still feels like king poo poo of the mecha heap.

Eh?

Bandai has released multiple US focused Gundam toylines now, you can pick up the models from target, most IBO episodes got over a million viewers when it was on Toonami, and even the Build Divers shows got full dubs.

Gundam's not as big in the West as it is in Japan, and it's maybe not quite where it was when Wing was released, but it's still a pretty big deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The first two movies were briefly available on the Gundam youtube channel, so they might pop up again.

I wasn't too hot on it, myself. One of Tomino's greatest strengths and weaknesses as a director is his tendency to not give details when most people would. When there's enough to fill in the gaps, it's great, and it makes the viewer feel a deeper connection to the story. When there isn't, well, you get G-Reco, where important details are intentionally excluded so the viewer is left in the dark for major setting elements until you get clunky exposition on the subject later that sometimes just makes it more confusing.

Still. Pretty good looking, good sound design, and some creative ideas. I'm not sorry I watched it. I just wish it came together better.

Eh?

Bandai has released multiple US focused Gundam toylines now, you can pick up the models from target, most IBO episodes got over a million viewers when it was on Toonami, and even the Build Divers shows got full dubs.

Gundam's not as big in the West as it is in Japan, and it's maybe not quite where it was when Wing was released, but it's still a pretty big deal.

It's also worth noting that we haven't actually had a new Gundam series in five years. Just a Build Divers thing and movies. There's not a New Shiny Thing to get excited about in the same way there was a while ago. You don't hear people talk about it much because aside from the constant SEED arguments or discussing the 1/3rd of a story that is Hathaway's Flash there's not a lot of fresh meat.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gundam is probably the second most popular mecha series in the west behind Evangelion, but I guess mecha in general is fairly niche. I think that's largely true in Japan as well, though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

WrightOfWay posted:

Gundam is probably the second most popular mecha series in the west behind Evangelion, but I guess mecha in general is fairly niche. I think that's largely true in Japan as well, though.

If we're talking mainstream recognition it's probably Transformers -> Voltron -> Gundam.

In the anime community it's more Eva -> Gurren Lagann -> Gundam.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Gimme IBO already god drat, I need to see Barbatos get the budget love.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Underestimating code geass a bit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neo_Crimson posted:

If we're talking mainstream recognition it's probably Transformers -> Voltron -> Gundam.

In the anime community it's more Eva -> Gurren Lagann -> Gundam.

Gurren Lagann's heyday was a long time ago now. I'd almost definitely put it behind Gundam overall.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I was gonna say I cant wait to see what Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury is like so we can get hype for it in SRW but then was reminded here that IBO is STILL not in this franchise. Dude Terada wtf.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Policenaut posted:

I was gonna say I cant wait to see what Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury is like so we can get hype for it in SRW but then was reminded here that IBO is STILL not in this franchise. Dude Terada wtf.
Isn't IBO in DD or X-Omega? So, yeah it technically has made it into SRW. Just not one of the ones many people have access to/want to play.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Policenaut posted:

It's in both X-Omega and DD. He generally wants to wait for a Gundam to get into G Gen first before doing it in SRW.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zore posted:

Its definitely not all new animations, that would be prohibitive especially when they have 'good enough' ones for a huge chunk of the mechs in the game and need to make up a bunch for the new ones/any new attacks.

My guess with Rayearth is that they're just giving Umi and Fuu more attacks to fill things out with the returning attacks being the same or very slightly modified from T. As Endorph mentioned though we already saw Van has almost the same animations in at least one of his finishers as T (with a slight tweak). Ditto Mazinger Infinity. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the mechs we haven't seen like the CCA ones reuse their old animations completely.

It's almost tradition for them to completely reanimate the Nu Gundam with insanely high effort animations nearly every time it appears despite the last set of animations being gorgeous.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

super-redguy posted:

It's in both X-Omega and DD. He generally wants to wait for a Gundam to get into G Gen first before doing it in SRW.

and IBO was just in Cross Rays, so it could very well be in the next main SRW, since they've all but announced the next SRW after 30 is OG.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Didn’t they say they want to keep IBO as a DD exclusive for a while or is that just an internet rumor?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean, Eva just made 10 billion yen, and Hathaway broke a billion this year. Two of the top ten most success films of the year so far, including the highest grossing wide release, doesn't strike me as particularly niche.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ethiser posted:

Didn’t they say they want to keep IBO as a DD exclusive for a while or is that just an internet rumor?

I dunno about exclusive but they did debut IBO in DD probably to draw attention to that game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO is also not a super easy SRW to work in. In some ways it suffers from the SEED/OYW problem in that the first season is largely a desperate attempt to get from Point A to Point B and you end up having to stretch the plot a lot to compensate for that. (Which is why they love teleporting to other dimensions to force it.)

It also doesn't quite slot as easily or smoothly in adventures as some other Gundam series in terms of big setpieces. I would argue it isn't really until Season 2 that it gets to a point where it'd slot more naturally into SRW but Season 2 relies heavily on the Tekkaden making terrible decisions and without that you... don't have much of a plot really. It doesn't even have a real final battle.

I'm sure it'll show up in a mainline game before long but it isn't like Narrative or whatever where you can just slap it in with two stages and be done or 00/Wing where you can just use the movie plot.

I feel like IBO will end up like AGE or G-Reco where it gets one game and then gets shelved for a while since it can't even do the "Well we're post-series" thing without rewriting the end of the series in a way that removes a lot of the character from the series. Tekkaden being safe, healthy and no longer having to kill themselves to survive is sort of no longer Tekkaden.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 23, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

IBO is also not a super easy SRW to work in. In some ways it suffers from the SEED/OYW problem in that the first season is largely a desperate attempt to get from Point A to Point B and you end up having to stretch the plot a lot to compensate for that. (Which is why they love teleporting to other dimensions to force it.)

It also doesn't quite slot as easily or smoothly in adventures as some other Gundam series in terms of big setpieces. I would argue it isn't really until Season 2 that it gets to a point where it'd slot more naturally into SRW but Season 2 relies heavily on the Tekkaden making terrible decisions and without that you... don't have much of a plot really. It doesn't even have a real final battle.

I'm sure it'll show up in a mainline game before long but it isn't like Narrative or whatever where you can just slap it in with two stages and be done or 00/Wing where you can just use the movie plot.

I feel like IBO will end up like AGE or G-Reco where it gets one game and then gets shelved for a while since it can't even do the "Well we're post-series" thing without rewriting the end of the series in a way that removes a lot of the character from the series. Tekkaden being safe, healthy and no longer having to kill themselves to survive is sort of no longer Tekkaden.

Could just have the "well we're post series" be in the after season 1, before season 2 status quo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

This is a big thing. Even the organizations and people they end up dealing with are mostly forced upon them by being the least-of-all-bad-options in the moment. Tekkadan sailing off and making a blood oath to the Space Mafia makes less sense if they're good friends with the Super Robot Army, as an example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

This is a big thing. Even the organizations and people they end up dealing with are mostly forced upon them by being the least-of-all-bad-options in the moment. Tekkadan sailing off and making a blood oath to the Space Mafia makes less sense if they're good friends with the Super Robot Army, as an example.

Yeah. Like they'll write around it, they wrote around Evangelion after all, but IBO is a series based so much on Bad Decisions that it'll take a deft hand to not make it one of those series where you get frustrated about the plot events not getting subverted enough.

Though I admit I'd enjoy them going full crazy with it and you can just save everyone and the game ends with Biscuit and Fumitan making an amazing dinner for everyone while you attend Akihiro and Lafter's wedding next to Mika and his two wives.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
did not expect an SRW-exclusive unit upgrade for Lelouch but here we are

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I was relived to see Banagher despite unicorn not being a listed series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

To be fair, they're more the Space Yakuza. Still legally shady, but not an illegal organization per se. It's also fairly common in SRW games for you to have somewhat unreliable official backing at the best of times, so having the largest megacorp in the Solar System providing funding would be something even Super Robot Armies would at least be interested in, especially with the government of Earth out for blood.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Maybe they could make the IBO characters that early game pursuing enemy force, like you know the deal they're hanging around the cosmic bad guy getting pushed around and their heart's not in it and around mission 10 they finally get fed up and switch sides mid-mission that's always a crowd pleaser.

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's also worth noting that we haven't actually had a new Gundam series in five years. Just a Build Divers thing and movies. There's not a New Shiny Thing to get excited about in the same way there was a while ago. You don't hear people talk about it much because aside from the constant SEED arguments or discussing the 1/3rd of a story that is Hathaway's Flash there's not a lot of fresh meat.

Maybe among the 30+ crowd yeah it's still a thing, but I don't detect all that much interest in Gundam these days among anime watchers that weren't around in the 90's and early 2000's. Anyway the 5 years thing (7 actually) that's about to change since they are doing a new series apparently called The Witch of Mercury next year. Again though I think outside of Japan your not going to see particularly much interest outside the 30+ crowd or niche of mecha lovers the same way you would see say your average popular fantasy light novel or Shonen Jump manga adaptation.

To be quite honest though I don't think a whole lot of people outside Japan even understand what Gundam is and actually about generally considering a lot of people seem to think it's basically just Transformers.

Mecha is not niche in Japan btw IMO. Well okay it's more like Gundam and Evangelion aren't, but they sure seem to be having a hard as poo poo time getting anything to stick in over a decade besides entries in those two specific franchises.

Kanos posted:

It's almost tradition for them to completely reanimate the Nu Gundam with insanely high effort animations nearly every time it appears despite the last set of animations being gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia1hZmtR8tw&t=193s

Except for the part where they took the cool Lalah swan animation at the end of Hi-Nu Gundam's ultimate attack out between X and T. :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWU0XgTLLKs&t=59s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFqiV6Ua54&t=94s

Also regarding Rayearth, Fuu still definitely does that CLAMPy pose during the Emerald Cyclone attack in T as well and ditto Umi doing the twirling thing with Selece Dancing Ice Blades attack.

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 23, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kale posted:

Maybe among the 30+ crowd yeah it's still a thing, but I don't detect all that much interest in Gundam these days among anime watchers that weren't around in the 90's and early 2000's. Anyway that's about to change anyway since they are doing a new series apparently called The Witch of Mercury next year. Again though I think outside of Japan your not going to see particularly much interest outside the 30+ crowd or niche of mecha lovers the same way you would see say your average popular fantasy light novel or Shonen Jump manga adaptation.

To be quite honest though I don't think a whole lot of people outside Japan even understand what Gundam is and actually about generally considering a lot of people seem to think it's basically just Transformers.

Iron Blooded Orphans was one of the highest rated shows on cable when it aired a couple years back, Netflix paid for a full dub for Hathaway released less than a month after, and Gundam models are selling out pretty much everywhere. Bandai even did a US exclusive online event just a couple months back.

Even on Reddit, IBO got decent engagement. Numbers weren't much compared to the modern standards (the last couple seasons of Attack on Titan drove up the averages like crazy) but by the standards of the season, it was one of the bigger shows.

Everybody runs in different circles, and you not seeing much in the way of Gundam fandom isn't the weirdest thing, but Gundam is far from obscure, and the general profile of the series is higher than it was back in the SEED and 00 era.

(Edit: As for getting other sticks to stick, Gridman was pretty successful, and Shikalion is one of the most popular kid's shows right now.)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really unusual for SRW to include series themed around a single collection of renegade teenagers fighting their way through a lonely journey with no allies while being hunted by one or more evil armies, and it's not even that rare for one of those evil armies to be a major human government. And there's plenty of mecha shows where Team Main Character makes some extremely poor decisions and ends up having something blow up in their face. I don't think it'd really be that hard to fit it in. The nice thing about SRW is that if part of a series is a little plot-light, they don't have to include all the filler or monster-of-the-weeks, they can just flip over to another series' plot for a while.

Hell, much of season 1 could probably fit pretty well with the first half of Nadesico without even much tweaking. Nadesico has a generally unpleasant relationship with the government and a period of time when they're complete outlaws being hunted by the government, and it involves trips between between Earth and Mars. Just mash up Gjallarhorn with the Federal forces, adjust/replace the jump gate bit so they still have to fly at least part of the way back to Earth after Gai's sacrifice, and make up some excuse for why they can't do IBO's earth-side plot immediately when they get back to the planet.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

IBO and SPT Layzner. Make it happen Banpresto.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'd be kinda interesting to have post-series IBO with actual post-series IBO, but I'm not sure people would sign up for an IBO inclusion where the only playable characters are Eugene, Chad, Julieta, Punished 'Venom' Ride, Azee, and everyone's favorite ibo character, DANTE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the time dante got out of his mech mid-fight to get into a downed enemy mech to hack their communications was pretty cool.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Just do the VX(T?) thing and whisk the IBO boys away during the finale, like they did with Amuro and Char.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

It'd be kinda interesting to have post-series IBO with actual post-series IBO, but I'm not sure people would sign up for an IBO inclusion where the only playable characters are Eugene, Chad, Julieta, Punished 'Venom' Ride, Azee, and everyone's favorite ibo character, DANTE.

From the Devil May Cry series?!

Only slightly more seriously, you could probably get Gaelio back in the saddle in a post-series IBO game without too much messing with the plot. He only removed the cybernetics years after the series, and losing the Ein system is a good excuse for him to need to build back up to top ace levels.

Thinking of it, IBO might be fun in one of the time travel SRW. You've got the end of the show as part of the "bad future" early in the game, and then going back lets things change.

You could even have Julieta or Eugene come back to butt heads with their past counterparts. (They're both very good fits for the classic "I can't believe I was ever that unreasonable!" scene, where someone else comments "You're still that unreasonable")

Dance Officer posted:

Just do the VX(T?) thing and whisk the IBO boys away during the finale, like they did with Amuro and Char.

T went through ZZ to CCA, and had Char and Amuro survive due to the narrative changes, rather than bailing them out at the jump.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

chiasaur11 posted:

T went through ZZ to CCA, and had Char and Amuro survive due to the narrative changes, rather than bailing them out at the jump.

But I thought Narrative's debut was 30?!

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

ImpAtom posted:

Though I admit I'd enjoy them going full crazy with it and you can just save everyone and the game ends with Biscuit and Fumitan making an amazing dinner for everyone while you attend Akihiro and Lafter's wedding next to Mika and his two wives.

You completely messed up the order here, it’s Kudelia and her two wives, I mean did you even SEE her timeskip design, come on now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

It's not really unusual for SRW to include series themed around a single collection of renegade teenagers fighting their way through a lonely journey with no allies while being hunted by one or more evil armies, and it's not even that rare for one of those evil armies to be a major human government. And there's plenty of mecha shows where Team Main Character makes some extremely poor decisions and ends up having something blow up in their face. I don't think it'd really be that hard to fit it in. The nice thing about SRW is that if part of a series is a little plot-light, they don't have to include all the filler or monster-of-the-weeks, they can just flip over to another series' plot for a while.

Hell, much of season 1 could probably fit pretty well with the first half of Nadesico without even much tweaking. Nadesico has a generally unpleasant relationship with the government and a period of time when they're complete outlaws being hunted by the government, and it involves trips between between Earth and Mars. Just mash up Gjallarhorn with the Federal forces, adjust/replace the jump gate bit so they still have to fly at least part of the way back to Earth after Gai's sacrifice, and make up some excuse for why they can't do IBO's earth-side plot immediately when they get back to the planet.

The thing is that IBO isn't just about bad decisions but desperate helplessness where you have no support or help and joining the space mafia is one of your best options.

You can hit some of those beats for sure but the aura of raw desperation and self sacrifice loses a bit if you have GoShogun right next to you.

They've done it before of course bit it involves plots built around it.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ethiser posted:

IBO and SPT Layzner. Make it happen Banpresto.

You could even add Nadesico and Tobikage. You'll get the desperate attempt to flee, and crossover opportunities.

Also, I've been watching the SRW 64 translation, and it's nice the desperate situation in the first few episodes, but still with a lot of crossover happening.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that IBO isn't just about bad decisions but desperate helplessness where you have no support or help and joining the space mafia is one of your best options.

You can hit some of those beats for sure but the aura of raw desperation and self sacrifice loses a bit if you have GoShogun right next to you.

They've done it before of course bit it involves plots built around it.

Season 1 is about hopelessness. Season 2 is about keeping that decisionmaking process long past the point you need it, and how bad things can go from there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ethiser posted:

Yamato was not in X and Zero was playable for all of one stage.

This actually reminds me of one thing I really, really hope they do for 30: give me a proper new game plus. I don't care if units or characters carried over don't have story dialogue or anything. But please stop letting me unlock cool units for the last like three missions and no more. Zero, Neo Zeong and TTGL are really bad about this; but I think the absolute worst goes to Great Zeorymer in J where you have to forgo most of the other upgrades in the game and jump through all kinds of tedious hoops to get it, then you get it for the very end of the game and while it's incredibly powerful on paper; it's not actually that strong because by that point you'll have upgraded other units to be just as overkill if not even better without needing all of the bullshit to get it every playthrough.

Basically - if I get something I just want to be able to use it on a fresh playthrough :negative: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

This actually reminds me of one thing I really, really hope they do for 30: give me a proper new game plus. I don't care if units or characters carried over don't have story dialogue or anything. But please stop letting me unlock cool units for the last like three missions and no more. Zero, Neo Zeong and TTGL are really bad about this; but I think the absolute worst goes to Great Zeorymer in J where you have to forgo most of the other upgrades in the game and jump through all kinds of tedious hoops to get it, then you get it for the very end of the game and while it's incredibly powerful on paper; it's not actually that strong because by that point you'll have upgraded other units to be just as overkill if not even better without needing all of the bullshit to get it every playthrough.

Basically - if I get something I just want to be able to use it on a fresh playthrough :negative: .

I am sad they never really went back to the Unit Shop from W. I'd kind of like the opposite where I can stick people in super lovely gimmick units.