Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah I really don’t get what people are backlashing against here lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Stan Taylor posted:

Some people just want non-descript military mans fighting a brutal war where giant robots rip pilots out of machines and squeeze them till they pop.

They don't want D.Va cutely voicing 'meow meow' while flashing the peace sign and shooting baddies.

I get the annoyance with character shooters because zaniness always creeps in, but I would be fine if TF3 had player characters that were closer to the faction-leaders of TF2.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tetrabor posted:

They don't want D.Va cutely voicing 'meow meow' while flashing the peace sign and shooting baddies.

What about M.R.V.N cutely trying for a high-five and displaying a crying emote when it fails before you drop into combat in Titanfall 2? Did people actually get legitimately angry about that and rage about those gosh darn zoomers and their 'tudes :bahgawd:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

i like other characters in the world having personality.

i just don't want my avatar's personality to be defined by their abilities - i should be able to play stim and not be a hyper adrenaline junkie or whatever.

let me choose what set of voice lines is used and i'm happy.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Agreed. First Titanfall handled that brilliantly for both pilots and titans. Also had a burn card for ultra stim :twisted:

Was also really satisfying when someone was going wild with a very rare burn card and you finally kill them and get the satisfying notification that you took that out as well. I know they were a contentious aspect of the game but I liked how they mixed things up, such as people starting the match in titans or someone having a card that auto-hacked nearby spectres to slowly build a little robot army following them around or camo so they mixed in with the AI. Was hoping Titanfall 2 would expand on that even more, not ditch it :(

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh I hated the burn cards. Those always felt bad. Using them felt bad and dying to someone rolling a strong one felt bad. Not a fan!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh I hated the burn cards. Those always felt bad. Using them felt bad and dying to someone rolling a strong one felt bad. Not a fan!

:same:

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I loved regular burn cards, but rare burn cards shouldn't have been a thing. Getting three small power ups during the match was fun. I never used any of my rares, eventually getting a full deck of 100 of them and never using a burn card again.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Codeacious posted:

They did, but then he left some time in-between TF2 and Apex. Not sure where he's at now.

He’s actually at Infinity Ward now and he did some animations for MW 2019 iirc

Edit:

https://youtu.be/5MVwn5zZAwQ

Also his animation showcase for TF2

https://youtu.be/pBbcRhDCbcM

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Senethro posted:

Yeah, some cosmetics absolutely can be distracting or an eyesore, but a radical tude is way more bearable than pofaced military mans oscar miking to the El Zees.

No one wants that poo poo either.

Stan Taylor posted:

Annoyance.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Stan Taylor posted:

we've explained it multiple times.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

I guess this clip is floating around today. Respawn community manager saying don’t get your hopes up for any new Titanfall. Kind of figures. He does clarify they are working on some type of fix for the DDOS but I’m sure that’s not really a priority.

https://twitter.com/thetitanfallguy/status/1440142857310928896?s=21

Edit: I also think a lot of the people in the “Titanfall community” are over dramatic and a lot of their posts are pure cringe so I don’t endorse whatever this Twitter person is saying. I think you just have to be realistic about an almost 5 year old game that didn’t sell well to begin with that has a niche fan base.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 22, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

And to think I liked Respawn. :negative:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wazzit posted:

I guess this clip is floating around today. Respawn community manager saying don’t get your hopes up for any new Titanfall. Kind of figures. He does clarify they are working on some type of fix for the DDOS but I’m sure that’s not really a priority.

https://twitter.com/thetitanfallguy/status/1440142857310928896?s=21

this would hurt if it didn't look so much like a deflection

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, I know I'm definitely in the minority and some should not have been in the game (amped smart pistol was ridiculous) but I liked how they mixed things up. Looks like we're unlikely to get a Titanfall 3 anyways it seems so I guess it's irrelevant, which is a shame.

The whole situation is quite bizarre really since even if Titanfall 2 didn't perform as well as expected, the original game sold over 10 million copies so given the tremendous success of the first Titanfall, why would you write-off an IP just because the sequel had really unfortunate circumstances for launch?

My confusion isn't directed purely at Respawn either, although I'm sure they're busy working on another Star Wars game or something, but also EA in general. As a publisher they are sitting on so many excellent IPs that really do need to make a comeback. Titanfall, Burnout and SSX would be wonderful to see again, but the best we seem to be getting from the vault of great IPs is a remake of the first Dead Space.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

drrockso20 posted:

I've talked about this before but my thoughts on what Titanfall 3 needs...

You're in the wrong franchise. You need to be playing Battletech.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're in the wrong franchise. You need to be playing Battletech.

Several of my ideas are essentially just rolling the balance between Pilot and Titan back to how Titanfall 1 had it, so it's not like I'm really suggesting some radical changes here(at least not all of them)

Also speaking of Battletech, well I probably will be playing a lot of Mechwarrior 5 soon since its getting a PS4/5 release on Thursday

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, I know I'm definitely in the minority and some should not have been in the game (amped smart pistol was ridiculous) but I liked how they mixed things up. Looks like we're unlikely to get a Titanfall 3 anyways it seems so I guess it's irrelevant, which is a shame.

The whole situation is quite bizarre really since even if Titanfall 2 didn't perform as well as expected, the original game sold over 10 million copies so given the tremendous success of the first Titanfall, why would you write-off an IP just because the sequel had really unfortunate circumstances for launch?

My confusion isn't directed purely at Respawn either, although I'm sure they're busy working on another Star Wars game or something, but also EA in general. As a publisher they are sitting on so many excellent IPs that really do need to make a comeback. Titanfall, Burnout and SSX would be wonderful to see again, but the best we seem to be getting from the vault of great IPs is a remake of the first Dead Space.

The big issue impeding a TF3 is how succesful apex legends has been. One of the big lessons that was learned in the games industry over the last 10-15 years was 'do not be your own competition' with a corrolary of 'don't split your playerbase,' which doubly goes for BRs, which require very large playerbases to get properly quick matchmaking and balanced enough games that they aren't all stomps. Given that Apex is now a billion+ dollar game, they likely see apex as a good refinement of the titanfall experience but reshaped into something that clearly has huge mass appeal and, for better or for worse, they aren't really wrong.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The big issue impeding a TF3 is how succesful apex legends has been. One of the big lessons that was learned in the games industry over the last 10-15 years was 'do not be your own competition' with a corrolary of 'don't split your playerbase,' which doubly goes for BRs, which require very large playerbases to get properly quick matchmaking and balanced enough games that they aren't all stomps. Given that Apex is now a billion+ dollar game, they likely see apex as a good refinement of the titanfall experience but reshaped into something that clearly has huge mass appeal and, for better or for worse, they aren't really wrong.

Except that Apex sucks rear end.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Respawn hit it big. Please be happy for them. Blame gamers for their bad taste if anyone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I am happy for Respawn, they worked hard to get where they are.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Respawn managed to create the one BR that had actual fun gunplay, sucks that titanfall is dead because of it but they're still a fantastic company.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
The bright side is even though they can’t actually address the previous games they haven’t forgotten the universe. If Apex’s popularity wanes or BR really dies off they could switch. Pretty sure they’ve addressed this by saying that maybe Apex could look/play different down the road. We might not get Titanfall 3 but I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Titans.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Quite a few of the people who made Titanfall are no longer at Respawn. If Apex dies, Respawn will likely suffer the same fate all EA-acquired studios do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

drrockso20 posted:

Several of my ideas are essentially just rolling the balance between Pilot and Titan back to how Titanfall 1 had it, so it's not like I'm really suggesting some radical changes here(at least not all of them)

Titans were, in fact, radically rebalanced for TF2 so reverting those changes is extremely radical.

TF's decision to grant Titans a perpetually regenerating shield with no regen cap, 360 degree coverage, that was totally brain dead and required no management beyond "disengage when depleted" and did not have any effect on their offense or mobility was very bad game design unless the point was to punish Pilots for daring to be outside their Titan and not on comms with a stack. Every single thing in your post was "let's poo poo on Pilots ability to hurt Titans" which functionally makes them second class players once the metal bois start dropping. You are not supposed to drop your Titan and be in it for the rest of the game unless you pick Monarch and some specific kit, and if you do that your offense will be subpar.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Codeacious posted:

Quite a few of the people who made Titanfall are no longer at Respawn. If Apex dies, Respawn will likely suffer the same fate all EA-acquired studios do.

Yeah I’m not entirely sure who from the original team is around. Even Vince Zampella is overseeing the DICE LA studio I think? The original art director (the guy who kitbashed the original titan designs) went back to Infinity Ward (along with handful of other key senior people), some even started their own studio, Gravity Well I think the name was?

I think it’s not surprising that Titanfall 3 isn’t in development, a majority of the new blood there signed on to work on one of the biggest BRs, not TF3.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Codeacious posted:

Wazzit posted:

Yeah I’m not entirely sure who from the original team is around. Even Vince Zampella is overseeing the DICE LA studio I think?

Zampella's on the board. He oversees Respawn and DICE LA and prolly does other poo poo, too. He's EA's 'fixer'

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Titans were, in fact, radically rebalanced for TF2 so reverting those changes is extremely radical.

TF's decision to grant Titans a perpetually regenerating shield with no regen cap, 360 degree coverage, that was totally brain dead and required no management beyond "disengage when depleted" and did not have any effect on their offense or mobility was very bad game design unless the point was to punish Pilots for daring to be outside their Titan and not on comms with a stack. Every single thing in your post was "let's poo poo on Pilots ability to hurt Titans" which functionally makes them second class players once the metal bois start dropping. You are not supposed to drop your Titan and be in it for the rest of the game unless you pick Monarch and some specific kit, and if you do that your offense will be subpar.

The problem is 2 went too far in the opposite direction and made Titans too fragile and this results in actually using your Titans a suboptimal move way too often

Overall I'd say perfectly balancing the two sides is an impossible thing and if we have to choose one to be the superior side I'm going to be in favor of Titans as they're the more interesting part of the game in the first place

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

drrockso20 posted:

The problem is 2 went too far in the opposite direction and made Titans too fragile and this results in actually using your Titans a suboptimal move way too often

Overall I'd say perfectly balancing the two sides is an impossible thing and if we have to choose one to be the superior side I'm going to be in favor of Titans as they're the more interesting part of the game in the first place

None of this is true to me and so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think you may forget that unlike in TF2 where the best a pilot could do in close quarters is steal a battery, in TF1 the rodeo mechanic would completely wreck a titan when a pilot mounted it. There was no automatic jumping off like in TF2, you could stay on there and it did not take long to doom the titan or outright destroy it. Obviously the pilot could get out to engage the person rodeoing but this was very well conveyed via the animation of the titan kneeling down and pilots would very often plant explosives to automatically frag a disembarking pilot anyways, and if that did not get them the rodeoing pilot still had an advantage via the heads-up and already being primed for combat.

I think it worked incredibly well and was actually balanced perfectly, especially when pilots had a tactical ability to cloak against titans and anti-titan weaponry was very powerful (and captured turrets firing at titans had to be neutralized or re-hacked since they could really drain a titan over time). I found the tactic of titans firing explosives at a wall point blank and turning around to frag rodeoing pilots an interesting development as time went on and even doing that would take a chunk off the titan's health, which unlike shields would not regenerate. I consider this much more graceful than TF2's battery system.

Map design also plays a huge part in this as well, I think, and whereas TF2 had far too many wide open spaces leaving pilots incredibly vulnerable to compensate for glass cannon titan design, the original game had vastly better map design that really allowed for some excellent titan vs. pilot interactions that further balanced combat between the two.

I suspect this may well be another agreement to disagree but amped smart pistols aside? I personally consider the original Titanfall to be one of the best and most balanced multiplayer shooters ever made, and easily sits alongside all-time greats such as Unreal Tournament, Halo, Quake & Gears of War.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TF2 has the superior mechanics and design and is the best fps of all time, don't @ me!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I prefer Titan combat of 1 but even if this hypothetical Titanfall 3 didn’t revert back to something similar I would at least want them to lean back on some of the aesthetic things 1 was doing. I miss a lot of that outlaw west vibe of 1

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Spitfire will always be my favorite gun thanks to rodeos. :clint:

(then drop a titan on 'em when they get out)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

vanilla TF2 Devotion, and also R97 for life

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Spitfire will always be my favorite gun thanks to rodeos. :clint:

I have killed myself far too many times rodeoing a titan while using a sidewinder :negative:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://twitter.com/respawn/status/1440852257390546949

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SUNKOS posted:

I think it worked incredibly well and was actually balanced perfectly, especially when pilots had a tactical ability to cloak against titans and anti-titan weaponry was very powerful (and captured turrets firing at titans had to be neutralized or re-hacked since they could really drain a titan over time). I found the tactic of titans firing explosives at a wall point blank and turning around to frag rodeoing pilots an interesting development as time went on and even doing that would take a chunk off the titan's health, which unlike shields would not regenerate. I consider this much more graceful than TF2's battery system.

tf1 suffered from the same thing a lot of games do in their latter years which is that people found the absolute most optimal loadout, which broadly speaking for mechs was the light mech, 40mm cannon, cluster missiles, and electric smoke. The 40mm was absurdly consistent and accurate such that you basically had to have a specific reason to justify using anything else, cluster missiles and smoke were both extreme utility for anti-pilot generally and anti-rodeo specifically, as well as being just good general choices for area control/denial. The cluster missile in particular was an absolutely guaranteed kill against a rodeo pilot if you did it right (I guess unless you are in an area without walls to splash against but in that case pilots are extremely disadvantaged by the open terrain).

not saying there were no other viable loadouts, personally there were maps and situations where I was extremely fond of the triple threat due to the extreme damage against mechs at close range (this paired well with the mech that could do damage boost, don't remember if it was medium or heavy) as well as the ability to splash a large area inside buildings and gently caress up pilots (similar to what the cluster missile could do), but generally speaking 40mm was balanced for controller and wasn't toned down for PC and was just too accurate, the light mech's ability to dash core and force a kill against a disadvantaged enemy was extremely strong, and the combined ability of cluster and smoke to control area is a massive advantage.

with that loadout rodeos were never a challenge, often a free kill

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

This smells of a PR move to keep up brand value.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Not dismissing the viability of that build at all because it is a solid one, but there is still a lot of variety in TF1 matches and I still see a good mix of titan chassis and weapon choices in games, it's definitely not everyone using the dash core and 40mm.

Aw jeez this is just mean if they don't actively have TF3 in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lmao this is the weaker than divisions "we're totally working on new content! game's not dead! just wait (until maybe next year)!"