Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Every couple of months I like to run around the Discovery Tours in AC Origins and Odyssey. It's a really nice peaceful thing to do before bed. I'm really excited because Valhalla is finally getting the update in a month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm an idiot. I completely missed a HUGE shortcut in Nioh before fighting the first real boss on the boat. At least I've seen how it connects now, so I can just do it on the second run, and I've dropped all the ladders for other shortcuts in the level.

Something I like is how it does framing and a sense of scale. At the start of the village it feels very sparse, just a few bandits lying around and some dead people, maybe 10 houses then a big house. Then after the first fight with a big Yokai, you get the key to the gate and open it, and see the entire rest of the village laid out in the small valley in front of you. And most of it is on fire. It's a good moment of "Oh. This village is bigger, and more hosed, than I thought..."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In Tales of Arise there's these special team-up attacks you can do to finish off or heavily damage enemies. In one of them, the party member with the magic rifle throws two shells into the air and then the karate boy jumps up and punches the bullets at the bad guy, who then explodes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Crowetron posted:

In Tales of Arise there's these special team-up attacks you can do to finish off or heavily damage enemies. In one of them, the party member with the magic rifle throws two shells into the air and then the karate boy jumps up and punches the bullets at the bad guy, who then explodes.

God dammit stop making me want to play it I have enough poo poo I’ve never even booted up already.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Karate Boy's with the Mage is cool too.

She creates a magic lightning... portal? that he jumps through, which charges him up with lightning so he can punch the enemy dead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Playing the remastered version of the Last of Us. I used someone as a human shield, my gun ran out of ammo and the guy immediately broke free.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Some fun Hades interactions:

Trying to use Hades' own call during the fight with him rather predictably just causes him to become irritated and wonder what you want, he's right there.

One time when a fishing point spawned behind the big guy at the end of the run, he actually commented on it.

Good poo poo. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've died a bunch of times but I'm figuring out the first boss in Nioh, gradually. Things get easier if I start switching between low stance to dodge it and high to attack it, but then that stops working when the Chains break and it get a ton more mobile. I can get to that bit more consistently though now.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've died a bunch of times but I'm figuring out the first boss in Nioh, gradually. Things get easier if I start switching between low stance to dodge it and high to attack it, but then that stops working when the Chains break and it get a ton more mobile. I can get to that bit more consistently though now.

Yeah, both the Niohs' combat takes a while to really click, but when it does it's amazing.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

One of my favorite little details has to do with fishing. If you catch a fish up on the surface, it has an Earth fish name like Carp. And Zagreus is like, WTF is this thing??? because he's only lived in the underworld.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's not even a little thing, but I'm just completely loving Deathloop so far. I finally got to a point where real Juliannas could invade me, had an awesome firefight with one and a tense rest of the time period trying to build my resources back up from the fight and avoid drawing too many Eternalists at once.

I saw somewhere that the devs were basically trying to make a game where people actually used their awesome Outsider/mimic abilities to get out of trouble instead of instantly reloading any time the player gets spotted, and they really succeeded. The fact that there's no penalties for going loud (or, worse, bonuses for stealth KO'ing everyone without any kills) means that even when you're in stealth and unseen, you can pop into a group of enemies and blow half of them away with your shotgun and machete before the survivors even know what's happening, and it's fun and expedient to play that way sometimes!

Really the only weird thing about the system that I've run into so far is that the enemy awareness distance seems REALLY variable, even for things like gunshots. In the game world that's not even hard to justify, Blackreef is a violent, weird place full of psychopaths, but occasionally I'll draw a bunch more attention than I'm expecting and suddenly I'm frantically warping across rooftops and hacking turrets and fighting half of a city district at once.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

John Murdoch posted:

Trying to use Hades' own call during the fight with him rather predictably just causes him to become irritated and wonder what you want, he's right there.

One time when a fishing point spawned behind the big guy at the end of the run, he actually commented on it.

Good poo poo. :3:

Yeah the fishing thing is funny. He accuses the fish of mocking/taunting him.

All of the gods apparently say something unique when you try and use their own call against them. Dionysus said,” Seriously bro?”. I want to see the others too but it’s such a specific set of circumstances you have to set up in order to make it happen.

The amount of unique dialog in this game is astounding. Seriously, I have no idea how many “Zagreus dies” narrations there are after he escapes, but I have yet to hear a repeat.

Also little stuff like - if you happen to fight Tisiphone a LARGE number of times, she starts attempting (and failing) to say your name rather than just screaming “MURDER!” over and over.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Sep 23, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My favourite "Zagreus dies" narration bit that I've heard is "Zagreus met a snake and greeted it as a friend! The snake bit him and he died."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RoboRodent posted:

My favourite "Zagreus dies" narration bit that I've heard is "Zagreus met a snake and greeted it as a friend! The snake bit him and he died."

The narrator starts saying stuff like “yeah let’s just say he inhaled mold or something” later on. My favorite one is where he steps on a rake Sideshow Bob style and somehow that kills him. I think he also got murdered by a goat at some point.

Edit: I also genuinely laughed at the part where the narrator gives away a major story beat just before Zagreus discovers it himself. Zagreus freaks out (because he can hear and often comments on the narrator’s dialogue) and the narrator says “Well, he would have found it anyway”.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Sep 23, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Y’all mind going and editing spoiler tags in there for people that haven’t beaten it yet?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Y’all mind going and editing spoiler tags in there for people that haven’t beaten it yet?

Sure, no problem. It’s a 2 year-old game though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hell, I've beaten the game twice, and the last several posts have been nonsense to me.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

Hell, I've beaten the game twice, and the last several posts have been nonsense to me.

Do you mean you’ve escaped twice? Because if so, you’re nowhere near the end of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Frank Frank posted:

That doesn't mean literally everyone ever has played it though. There's only so many hours in the day and so many games to play nowadays.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Frank Frank posted:

Do you mean you’ve escaped twice? Because if so, you’re nowhere near the end of the game.

I know, but the game hates me to the point where it's dead-ending ongoing storylines for no reason, so I have to call that 'beating it twice' to maintain some modicum of dignity.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

I know, but the game hates me to the point where it's dead-ending ongoing storylines for no reason, so I have to call that 'beating it twice' to maintain some modicum of dignity.

Well, the game assumes you will keep playing. The storylines don't advance every time you reappear back at the house. Hell, I'm nearly done-done with the game and I still have one character left that I don't have max affinity with yet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Frank Frank posted:

Well, the game assumes you will keep playing. The storylines don't advance every time you reappear back at the house. Hell, I'm nearly done-done with the game and I still have one character left that I don't have max affinity with yet.

No, you misunderstand. Eurydice and Patroclus' storylines just stopped dead and will not progress, no matter how many runs I do. It's been at least twenty with no progress.

Sisyphus' won't either, but that never started, so technically I can't say it stopped.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

No, you misunderstand. Eurydice and Patroclus' storylines just stopped dead and will not progress, no matter how many runs I do. It's been at least twenty with no progress.

Sisyphus' won't either, but that never started, so technically I can't say it stopped.

Some of them won’t advance until you escape more. Several, you can’t finish until you (MAJOR spoilers here) convince Persephone to return to Hades and she hatches a plan to repair their relationship with Olympus. This sequence of events won’t start until you escape 10 times. You can’t advance these storylines because to do so you need to have a good relationship with your pops. Other key players are Thanatos, Nyx, Hypnos, Megara and Dusa.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Sep 23, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

The amount of unique dialog in this game is astounding. Seriously, I have no idea how many “Zagreus dies” narrations there are after he escapes, but I have yet to hear a repeat.

Those lines finally repeat once you've cycled through them all once, but there is an incredible one that announces you've seen them all

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you can't really target a specific storyline to completion in Hades. Just do what's available, talk to everyone with an exclamation point every reset, and be generous with the nectar and ambrosia and eventually you'll notice storylines are advancing around you.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I’m at like…25 completions now, about 42 runs overall, and while I’ve gotten a lot of the characters to their Nectar max, I still haven’t boosted any of the Olympians past the first so as far as they know I’m just kind of a deadbeat, lmao. I’ll probably get to them last since I don’t really need that much more to max out Zag’s friends and the other cthonic gods

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kit Walker posted:

I’m at like…25 completions now, about 42 runs overall

I've beat it one time in about that many runs, with god mode turned on, lol.

I wonder what it's like to be good at games

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda overrated imho, if you’re good at the game you get less dialogue from Asterius and Hypnos so sucking actually means you have more fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hades was solid gameplay but I finished it with each weapon and don't care about any plot line enough to keep going.

Sorry everyone but your stories are boring!

God drat do good runs feel great though

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Frank Frank posted:

Lmao at this poo poo take. Good to know you can play every game ever to 100% completion on release day man.

Was playing CKII, working on my Got Land run. Haven't got enough to make the empire yet but its just a matter of time. The voting for my heir ended up split, cause the elders in Denmark liked some useless dink son more than the good one. So I antagonized him into a duel. My badass 70+ year old viking easily won, and I took the option to kill cause that was the whole point.

Then I noticed that he was posthumusly given a nickname. The Headless :v:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Quit bitching. I added spoiler tags immediately when asked and the spoilers in question were bits of funny dialogue, not major plot points. I was just surprised anyone would want spoilers for 2 year-old game.

Anyway, I'm 49 clears for 120 runs
Best clear time 18:17

I saw some guy on Youtube clear the game with zero boons the other night. Like, what in the actual gently caress?
(I actually do plan on 100%ing this game because I freaking love it)

Edit: No god mode ever

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Sep 23, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Been playing a lot of Rimworld again and you can end up with a lot of funny poo poo between the base gameplay and the million mods that everyone plays with all interacting in weird ways.

So first let me tell you about the alcoholic beavers. There's an event called Alphabeavers that can randomly occur where a horde of giant genetically engineered, wood eating beavers pops up at your colony. They aren't aggressive, but they'll absolutely strip the map of all trees in short order if you leave them unchecked. This can be really bad for an early or low-tech colony where you're relying a lot on wood. However, my colony was in a desert and there were no trees on the map.

With no food source readily available, they all immediately bee-line to the most accessible source of nutrition on the map: my colony's booze storage. The beavers proceed to get absolutely hammered drinking the entire booze supply and all pass out from extreme alcohol poisoning. Lost the booze, but gained a pile of beaver fur for hats.

The second thing was a hilarious bug. There's a mod that adds dinosaurs to the game as huntable/tameable fauna. My colonists were attacking a nearby raider camp, and after they'd cleared out all the raiders I noticed mortar shells were still falling on my guys despite the game telling me all the humans were dead.

Turns out thanks to some weird mod conflict the game had decided that a Brontosaurus could load and fire artillery and loving Littlefoot was running back and forth firing high explosives at my guys.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Frank Frank posted:

Quit bitching. I added spoiler tags immediately when asked and the spoilers in question were bits of funny dialogue, not major plot points. I was just surprised anyone would want spoilers for 2 year-old game.

Anyway, I'm 49 clears for 120 runs
Best clear time 18:17

I saw some guy on Youtube clear the game with zero boons the other night. Like, what in the actual gently caress?
(I actually do plan on 100%ing this game because I freaking love it)

:jerkbag:

Two years is not a long time, and when a big part of a games appeal and fun is learning about and talking with all the characters, it matters. Its also just common courtesy to not drop spoilers you dickhead.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ShootaBoy posted:

:jerkbag:

Two years is not a long time, and when a big part of a games appeal and fun is learning about and talking with all the characters, it matters. Its also just common courtesy to not drop spoilers you dickhead.

Two years is a pretty long time for the story of a game to remain minor dialogue details to remain a big secret and as I said, I edited in spoiler tags immediately when asked.
Knock off the name calling and please drop it. I wasn't rude to you.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Hades came out like, just over a month ago for people who didn’t buy it on Switch or PC, so maybe cool it on the “two years old” refrain.

Anyway, Lost Judgment has a combat style all based on parries and stunning people, and it has multiple finishers where you fake someone out with a huge glowy supermove and don’t actually hit them. Instead, they just pass out from fear. :allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also Hades came out Sept 2020 so it's barely a year old.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dewgy posted:

Hades came out like, just over a month ago for people who didn’t buy it on Switch or PC, so maybe cool it on the “two years old” refrain.

Anyway, Lost Judgment has a combat style all based on parries and stunning people, and it has multiple finishers where you fake someone out with a huge glowy supermove and don’t actually hit them. Instead, they just pass out from fear. :allears:

Honestly if I was fighting someone and they started glowing blue and charging an attack I'd probably pass out too.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dewgy posted:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The spoiler issue has been resolved. Let the thread move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

YggiDee posted:

Also Hades came out Sept 2020 so it's barely a year old.

Apparently it came out a lot later for some of the other consoles. It was out for Switch and PC in December of 2018 - so actually more than 2 years I guess. At any rate, my mistake. I apologize.