Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Popoto posted:

I’ve heard that while it has neat art and atmosphere, gameplay is barely a thing and most of it is an overbearing story that takes all the place, especially in the later half.

Confirm/deny?

Gameplay so far is ultra simplified Zelda and the dialogue can be very redundant so er uh, confirm? I'm only five hours in so can't speak to the second half yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Serephina posted:

She has the power to move the earth, but hides timidly in combat. Counterpoint: She occasionally teleports in new cover. Counter-Counterpoint: Who cares, her job is to be a damsel in distress and you can hand-wave her lack of participation however much you wish..

I actually don't remember it that well so I might be totally wrong, but wasn't her whole deal that she was timid, despite her powers? And that that was kind of the foil to Comstock who used his powers to exert his will over people? And then her arc is her coming around to using her powers to exert her will over someone for the greater good / becoming Comstock?

I dunno, maybe that was just my terrible read of it, maybe that didn't happen at all?

Also yes though, who cares, she was a good side kick mechanically and that's all that matters.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Eastward sounds like it has little to no gameplay, with hours of in-engine cutscenes. The art is the reason I took a closer look at it, but it's not enough for a purchase.

Serephina posted:

She has the power to move the earth, but hides timidly in combat. Counterpoint: She occasionally teleports in new cover. Counter-Counterpoint: Who cares, her job is to be a damsel in distress and you can hand-wave her lack of participation however much you wish.

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said about B:I in here: It's a pretty setting ruined by the tepid rail shooting, the teleportion into Vox-controlled realities was trash for multiple narrative reasons, and Elizabeth was an ok character with doe eyes and a mechanically excellent sidekick.

!Klams posted:

I actually don't remember it that well so I might be totally wrong, but wasn't her whole deal that she was timid, despite her powers? And that that was kind of the foil to Comstock who used his powers to exert his will over people? And then her arc is her coming around to using her powers to exert her will over someone for the greater good / becoming Comstock?

I dunno, maybe that was just my terrible read of it, maybe that didn't happen at all?

Also yes though, who cares, she was a good side kick mechanically and that's all that matters.

Yeah, I thought she wasn't in full control over her powers at the start of the game (horse scene). It's not until the end that she can just wave her hand and change reality on a massive scale (Songbird scene).

Which is why the DLC is 100% contrived trash. Way to end a franchise on a wet fart.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 23, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doesn't bioshock infinite have a press x to save Elisabeth moment at its climax that hangs there forever if you wait?

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Since the remake just came out today: What are you playing/going to play in Diablo 2? I’m thinking a werewolf Druid, but that also seems like it might get boring? Idk yet. Like if I roll with a werewolf Druid and go the melee route, will I just wish I was a barbarian or paladin the whole time?

Also considering trap assassin

Sorc seems cool but my daughter already called dibs on her

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 23, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
sorceress is the best class obviously, necromancer is second

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I already played that game to death, there's too much poo poo I haven't experienced to give a gently caress about a fresh coat of paint

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

its_my_birthday posted:

Since the remake just came out today: What are you playing/going to play in Diablo 2? I’m thinking a werewolf Druid, but that also seems like it might get boring? Idk yet. Like if I roll with a werewolf Druid and go the melee route, will I just wish I was a barbarian or paladin the whole time?

Why would I play a bad game?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
oh wait is $60 on switch. ahahahahah gently caress off blizzard you rapists scum.

maybe when its $20

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Rutibex posted:

sorceress is the best class obviously, necromancer is second

I liked sorc in d3 cause disintegrate melted everything outside of super high difficulties I never played lol and teleport is cool

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

its_my_birthday posted:

I’m not going to play that game because

Diablo 2 is not a good game, and Blizzard is a cesspool. A real standout in an industry that’s about 95% cesspool.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Rutibex posted:

oh wait is $60 on switch. ahahahahah gently caress off blizzard you rapists scum.

maybe when its $20

I bought in for 40 for ps4 on the ps store and pre loaded it last night

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I already played that game to death, there's too much poo poo I haven't experienced to give a gently caress about a fresh coat of paint

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

Diablo 2 is not a good game

lets not go crazy here

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
When I played games on pc I pretty much only played first person shooters like quake 2/3 and tribes. It wasn’t til I got a console and had to use a controller that games like Diablo 3 seemed cool. Never touched d2.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm gonna play nothing because:

1) gently caress giving Blizzard money

2) Based on Warcraft 3, Blizzard blows rear end at remasters

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it really hasn’t aged well

“It” could mean basically anything Blizzard has put out, including the company itself, not just D2. Recent events have shined a light on some of the more awful excesses of those pieces of shits and it really kills any positive impression I’ve ever had on their video games.

I’m gonna change my official review of Diablo 2 from “best remembered” to “best forgotten”.

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 23, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Without even touching the Blizzard controversy I just can't imagine having any fun playing Diablo 2 in the modern day no matter what it looks like. It's mechanics and overall design are absolutely archaic.

Gonna be a lot of people logging off when they get to Act 3 Normal on the first weekend then never booting the game again.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Was kinda half interested in the D2 remake but honestly I got enough of a nostalgia kick from watching a few minutes of twitch streams and now I'm gonna play my new obsession - Dead by Daylight

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Was kinda half interested in the D2 remake but honestly I got enough of a nostalgia kick from watching a few minutes of twitch streams and now I'm gonna play my new obsession - Dead by Daylight

That game owns so hard.

I'm pretty good at survivor but killer is tough.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Can't wait for Monday's update. Amazing changes announced today.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

That game owns so hard.

I'm pretty good at survivor but killer is tough.

I tried it when it was first on PS Plus and just didn't like the overall mechanics but its a real atmospheric game and having a roster of familiar survivors and killers just makes it all the cooler

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rutibex posted:

lets not go crazy here

Nah, they're right. I beat it exactly once out of God knows how many attempts and the one time I didn't get bored and quit was when the game played itself as a skeleton man.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
“An issue occurred while communicating with the game servers. Please check that you are connected to the internet and try again”

Lol thnx Blizz. Just wanna play your dumb game no one else wants to buy

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Dude I’m a dumb rear end. This game doesn’t have couch co op in the year of our lord 2021? lol I just wasted money

I feel like that shoulda been a bigger point of emphasis considering dumb asses like me who never played Diablo 2 are coming from Diablo 3. I literally bought this game cause my daughter and I were bored of Diablo 3.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

As much as Blizzard loving sucks Diablo 3 is (now, at least) a good game when you’re on drugs. And it has 4P couch coop.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

jokes posted:

As much as Blizzard loving sucks Diablo 3 is (now, at least) a good game when youre on drugs. And it has 4P couch coop.

The thing that made D3 good was getting rid of the Normal/Nightmare/Hell cycle from D2.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

archery in video games has been in a steady decline since the original Thief

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It sure makes oblivion trivial, even before you can enchant stuff to batshit levels

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

rydiafan posted:

The thing that made D3 good was getting rid of the Normal/Nightmare/Hell cycle from D2.

What? You didn't like having to beat the game multiple times to finish your build because the game wanted to pad its length?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The dodge roll in the console versions of D3 made it great. I remember mentioning it to a pc player and he had no idea what I was talking about.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

What have you done

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It sure makes oblivion trivial, even before you can enchant stuff to batshit levels

*Arrow thuds into guard's head*

"Huh? What was that? Who's there"

"Nothing there. Must be hearing things."

*Second arrow thuds into guard's head*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

its_my_birthday posted:

Dude I’m a dumb rear end. This game doesn’t have couch co op in the year of our lord 2021? lol I just wasted money

I feel like that shoulda been a bigger point of emphasis considering dumb asses like me who never played Diablo 2 are coming from Diablo 3. I literally bought this game cause my daughter and I were bored of Diablo 3.

get Titan Quest its on sale right now and its better than Diablo 2 and also the company is better than blizzard. it has couch coop

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/titan-quest

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Torchlight 2 is honestly a good game and I don’t know why it’s so maligned.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jokes posted:

Torchlight 2 is honestly a good game and I don’t know why it’s so maligned.

how is it "maligned"? the reviews are solid from both journalists and regular players

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yeah Torchlight 2 rules. though we shall not speak of Torchlight 3....

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I decided to play though torchlight 1 recently, but had to give up because I made a summoner and the minion pathing is dire

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I dislike the feel of all the classes in every torchlight game, though I did finish the first one. There weren’t a ton of options in the genre at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I didn't know you could finish Torchlight

I thought it was an infinite dungeon run game