Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You do see it in the harvester scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You see the mouth but never the full worm until the end.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Is this musical cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk&t=125s somewhere on the soundtrack or was it written specifically for the trailer?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm pretty sure that's trailer music.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
movie was pretty meh they might as well have cut yueh entirely for more zendaya looking over her shoulder jfc

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Zendaya visions were a bit much but that’s what zero pussy does to a mf

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hakkesshu posted:

The Zendaya visions were a bit much but that’s what zero pussy does to a mf

He's 15, give him a minute drat.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

DanTheFryingPan posted:

It's not that common now, but going back maybe a decade, a lot of non-US countries would get big US tentpoles like 1-3 months after the US debut.

And back in the 80s and 90s it'd sometimes be half a year. In Denmark we got T2 a full five months after the US release.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Steen71 posted:

And back in the 80s and 90s it'd sometimes be half a year. In Denmark we got T2 a full five months after the US release.

By which point, the T1000 as a bad guy was already in the public consciousness, fully ruining the T2 "twist" (which had already been ruined by some of the marketing, the GnR video, and the fact that Robert Patrick looks creepy as poo poo).

A few years ago I forced my girlfriend to a cinema double bill of The Terminator and T2, and she was actually pretty :aaa: at the reveal, which was wild

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

By which point, the T1000 as a bad guy was already in the public consciousness, fully ruining the T2 "twist" (which had already been ruined by some of the marketing, the GnR video, and the fact that Robert Patrick looks creepy as poo poo).

A few years ago I forced my girlfriend to a cinema double bill of The Terminator and T2, and she was actually pretty :aaa: at the reveal, which was wild

One of the trailers gave it away but man, if you were able to avoid spoilers that was a good twist

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
I saw the movie at Imax yesterday. It was fantastic, best scifi I've seen in ages. It was an absolute masterclass in worldbuilding that managed to keep everyone paying close attention. Even my boomer mom knows what the Kwisatz Haderach is now.

All the negative review stuff was wrong, such as white savior poo poo. The movie makes it very clear what the relationship is between the Fremen, House Artreides and Paul. He really doesnt come off as a savior to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

People claiming white saviour I feel like are deliberately choosing to take away the wrong reading. Not only is it an entirely manufactured prophecy specifically designed to manipulate the Fremen, but Paul's visions show that it's going to end poorly. His mistake is believing he can change that outcome and comes off as arrogant and naïve more than anything because he was taught to believe how special he is. Granted, we don't really see the results of it in this film, but all the warning signs are there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'll say again, if you only show the first half of the book then that looks an awfully lot like an unironic white saviour story. Hell, outside of Paul's internal doubts (not unusual for a white saviour) it's only really in Children of Dune that the reader gets a recap of events since the end of the book 1 that says outright "the Jihad was not a good thing also the Fremen are not happy with the new order of things"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i want to watch Dunc goddamnit why do you euros get it first

that french canadian gently caress is punishing us

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I'll say again, if you only show the first half of the book then that looks an awfully lot like an unironic white saviour story. Hell, outside of Paul's internal doubts (not unusual for a white saviour) it's only really in Children of Dune that the reader gets a recap of events since the end of the book 1 that says outright "the Jihad was not a good thing also the Fremen are not happy with the new order of things"

He literally calls himself work than Hitler in Messiah

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Alchenar posted:

The first half looks like nothing because it ends with Paul joining the Fremen, there is no "saving" going on at all. If people decide that "white boy joins oppressed minority and nothing more" must be the setup for an "unironic white saviour story", as you put it, that's entirely on them and their expectations.

Actually, there are some possibilities presented within the movie how this story could play out - the vision where Paul becomes best friends with Jamis, presumably after gaining his respect after sparing his life. That would be similar to a story where the white outsider is just so drat noble with his pure ideals that the savages have to begrudgingly accept as better than theirs.

Instead, Paul is forced to kill Jamis because that's not how it works.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

He literally calls himself work than Hitler in Messiah

I mixed up Messiah and Children - regardless, it's the second book where this stuff really comes ou.t

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

People claiming white saviour I feel like are deliberately choosing to take away the wrong reading. Not only is it an entirely manufactured prophecy specifically designed to manipulate the Fremen, but Paul's visions show that it's going to end poorly. His mistake is believing he can change that outcome and comes off as arrogant and naïve more than anything because he was taught to believe how special he is. Granted, we don't really see the results of it in this film, but all the warning signs are there.

Not only is the book extremely explicit in how all this loving with Fremen culture by the Bene Gesserit inserting prophesies and 'preparing the way' backfires in spectacular fashion, I'd argue that it actually condemns the 'white savior' trope and reveals it to be massive bullshit; In the end, once the train gets going it takes on a life of its own beyond anyone's control. If anything, Paul is the one who needs saving from the Fremen and what's about to happen.

Especially since events are least of all under Paul's control... as we are very clearly being shown, in no uncertain terms, thanks to Paul's absolutely utter and massive freakout in the scene where he can see the great Jihad spread from Arrakis, the Atreides banner held aloft by Fremen as they rampage across the galaxy. The movie takes pains to make this abundantly clear.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 23, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TLM3101 posted:

Not only is the book extremely explicit in how all this loving with Fremen culture by the Bene Gesserit inserting prophesies and 'preparing the way' backfires in spectacular fashion, I'd argue that it actually condemns the 'white savior' trope and reveals it to be massive bullshit; In the end, once the train gets going it takes on a life of its own beyond anyone's control. If anything, Paul is the one who needs saving from the Fremen and what's about to happen.

"This is the climax, Paul thought. From here, the future will open, the clouds part onto a kind of glory. And if I die here, they'll say I sacrificed myself that my spirit might lead them. And if I live, they'll say nothing can oppose Muad-Dib."

Nothing Paul does matters because the Fremen will twist anything that happens to match their religious beliefs. The Jihad is completely unavoidable; the supposed 'white savior' really is just an excuse to start it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!
What Paul ultimately represents is access to the reigns of established power through a legitimate claim to the imperial throne and a matching upbringing, pedigree, and education. Also professional military training that is actually massively better than that available to the imperial elite forces for their insurgency.

And the nukes were very helpful.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The Bene Gesserit plan backfires because Lady Jessica democratizes kung fu.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Weirding modules made them equal

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Hakkesshu posted:

People claiming white saviour I feel like are deliberately choosing to take away the wrong reading.

Not much is free of recreational outrage these days.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Nothing Paul does matters because the Fremen will twist anything that happens to match their religious beliefs.

He's NOT the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

A double feature of dunc and LoB would be a hoot.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 24, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

i want to watch Dunc goddamnit why do you euros get it first

that french canadian gently caress is punishing us

Consider it penance for ironic racists jokes on Italians.

Just saw it live a few hours ago. :italy: dub is better than our mcu/modern sci-fi standard but gurney/josh brolin VA is different and two octaves higher than usual, providing unintended comedy to that “smile gurney - I’m smiling” line. Highly recommend, esp as cinemas are deserted right now, my showing had six people(me included) so it was a nice experience.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I might see this again tomorrow with a buddy who hasn't yet. Should I look out for something special on second viewing

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Simply Simon posted:

I might see this again tomorrow with a buddy who hasn't yet. Should I look out for something special on second viewing

Every time Shadout Mapes is on screen shout out "that's Mapes!"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

Blood Boils posted:

Every time Shadout Mapes is on screen shout out "that's Mapes!"

listen here buddy, that's the Shadout Mapes :toughguy: :jihad:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd just like to give a big Shadout to my girl Mapes

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

okay here goes

"I think she's gonna choose the fifth one in line! Because that's SHADOUT MAPES"

"He saved someone from the Hunter-Killer, that's right - SHADOUT MAPES"

"who's that corpse? oh boy - it was SHADOUT MAPES"

fin

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
need some shadout mapes looking over shoulder visions

maker

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The most powerful scene in Dune Messiah is when the Fremen are attacking an Earth-like world and are just totally blown away by the amount of water and the realization that their culture is gone forever.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Shadout Mapes sounds like a late Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog character.

Help me settle an argument. How does the Baron survive the dinner scene? Some guy in a group chat says he saw his shield break

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Spermando posted:

Shadout Mapes sounds like a late Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog character.

Help me settle an argument. How does the Baron survive the dinner scene? Some guy in a group chat says he saw his shield break

It's not outright shown, but the implication is that the shield takes some of the brunt of it, and then his repulsors kick in to float him out of reach of the rest of it. Which leads to the fantastic, creepy scene where the Harkonnen troops finding him curled up and gasping on the ceiling, like some weird, alien creature.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I loved it. Really liked the books (up to a point lol) and I am middle eastern so I always liked that part of it. I have to say I always had the impression that Herbert’s stance on like, colonialism and ME culture was VERY well researched especially for a book in the 60s. Like I see why people want to have the reading of “white boy saves Arabs” but I know where he’s going with this

I’ve watched 1984 dune and the miniseries and this is the first time I thought what was onscreen didn’t just match my feeling of what I thought the books looked like it elevated it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I loved it. Really liked the books (up to a point lol) and I am middle eastern so I always liked that part of it. I have to say I always had the impression that Herbert’s stance on like, colonialism and ME culture was VERY well researched especially for a book in the 60s. Like I see why people want to have the reading of “white boy saves Arabs” but I know where he’s going with this

My take with Herbert is he believed most strongly that the USSR was evil incarnate and anything that stopped them was an improvement, and while he was probably generally anti-colonialist it was probably mostly directed towards that evil empire. On top of that it's not hard to read from him a respect for Arab people as a noble savage type thing, but that if they ever got an inch of real power they'd kill everyone out of pure unbridled fanaticism

What sticks out to me was when Maiden wrote a song about Dune and contacted his estate about using the name, the response was something like "my father hated rock and roll, but the kind of rock and roll he hated most was heavy metal. And of all the heavy metal, the kind he hated the most was Iron Maiden."

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Villeneuve and a lot of the fans treat Dune like something sacred, it's a good genre book, and that's about it.

The white saviour thing is warranted...even if having a saviour is a bad thing in the end it seems to me that Paul is very much portrayed as the magic man who has destiny at his fingertips, and his children are also magic superbeings or whatever who inherit his empire by birthright.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rabelais D posted:

The white saviour thing is warranted...even if having a saviour is a bad thing in the end

It's not really a "white savior" story if having a white savior is bad, the whole point of the trope is white people taking over makes things better, that's why it's seen as a problematic storytelling element.

It might not be obvious in a movie about the first half of the first book, but uh that's not where Herbert went with it lol

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 25, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I disagree that his kids inherit by divine birthright. Leto II literally turns into a worm god and beats the poo poo out of anyone who opposes him, then calls all the leaders of the fremen together to hit him with all of their weapons. Once hes decisively proven they cant resist him he declares himself in charge and thats that. If anyone had the power to stop him they probably would but there is literally not anyway to resist him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I actually kind of love that Leto2's whole thing is setting up a generations-long plot to have himself assassinated because he's loving over it and the only way for the universe to go on is if he's not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

What sticks out to me was when Maiden wrote a song about Dune and contacted his estate about using the name, the response was something like "my father hated rock and roll, but the kind of rock and roll he hated most was heavy metal. And of all the heavy metal, the kind he hated the most was Iron Maiden."

Well yeah, everyone knows Frank Herbert's first musical love was trap music.