Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But it is more than fine junk food. If you’re not digging this season that’s fine but it’s no reason to make silly assertions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

But it is more than fine junk food. If you’re not digging this season that’s fine but it’s no reason to make silly assertions!

Nah. I’ll explain it better, going into the fast food metaphor.

There’s levels of burgers.

1)Fast food cheap
2)Fast food expensive (in and out, five guys, shack shack)
3)Independent Portland style fast food
4)Fancy restaurant/a good home cooked burger.

The average marvel show and movies is at 2)fast food expensive. Fun to eat, everybody loves talking about it, still can leave your stomach upset later, pretty greesy.

Ted lasso first season was brilliant. A surprise, a fresh concept that didn’t feel gimmicky, a focus on a complex main character that rippled out and effected other characters who we wanted to know more about grew as the show went on. At worst it was level 4 of the burger.

Season 2 is a straight up level 3). As in, it’s a fancy burger joint that tastes pretty drat good, they probably have an amazing milk shake, but it’s still greasy and makes you not feel awesome afterwards.

Characters that felt compelling and deep in season one have gotten a lot more focus and yet they’ve become caricatures of the character. Roy Kent was great for a lot of reasons in the first season. Roy season two has become a fantasy boyfriend for Twitter folks, and is was written accordingly.

Beard being in an unhealthy relationship in his 40’s who’s unstable but exciting isn’t a bad thing by itself. But framing it the way they did lacks a level of self awareness the writers have generally shown to have.

Same goes for framing the relationship with Sam as anything as hosed up because of obvious reasons of power dynamics.

The two characters who they’ve stayed true to this season have been Jamie and the assistant coach. Both feel written to the same level as season 1.

So yes, it’s better than the in and out burgers that are the marvel shows, but it’s not a home cooked burger, and it isn’t what it was season 1.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 19, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LionArcher posted:

1)Fast food cheap

The average marvel show and movies is at 2)fast food expensive. Fun to eat, everybody loves talking about it, still can leave your stomach upset later, pretty greedy.

Ted lasso first season was brilliant. A surprise, a fresh concept that didn’t feel gimmicky, a focus on a complex main character that rippled out and effected other characters who we wanted to know more about grew as the show went on. At worst it was level 4 of the burger.

Season 2 is a straight up level 3). As in, it’s a fancy burger joint that tastes pretty drat good, they probably have an amazing milk shake, but it’s still greasy and makes you not feel awesome afterwards.

Characters that felt compelling and deep in season one I’ve gotten a lot more focus and yet they’ve become caricatures of the character. Roy Kent was great for a lot of reasons in the first season. Roy season two has become a fantasy boyfriend for Twitter folks, and is was written accordingly.

Beard being in an unhealthy relationship in his 40’s who’s unstable but exciting isn’t a bad thing by itself. But framing it the way they did lacks a level of self awareness the writers have generally shown to have.

Same goes for framing the relationship with Sam as anything as hosed up because of obvious reasons of power dynamics.

The two characters who they’ve stayed true to this season have been Jamie and the assistant coach. Both feel written to the same level as season 1.

So yes, it’s better than the in and out burgers that are the marvel shows, but it’s not a home cooked burger, and it isn’t what it was season 1.

:goonsay:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LionArcher posted:

1)Fast food cheap

The average marvel show and movies is at 2)fast food expensive. Fun to eat, everybody loves talking about it, still can leave your stomach upset later, pretty greesy.

Characters that felt compelling and deep in season one have gotten a lot more focus and yet they’ve become caricatures of the character. Roy Kent was great for a lot of reasons in the first season. Roy season two has become a fantasy boyfriend for Twitter folks, and is was written accordingly.

Why are non chain burger places called Portland style?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Where does Bob's Burgers fall on this scale?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Roy Kent is written as a mix between Roy Keane on the pitch and Peter Crouch off it. Which is why his playing style is described as a dying breed of midfield hard-men but he’s intelligent and says funny things.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Total Meatlove posted:

Roy Kent is written as a mix between Roy Keane on the pitch and Peter Crouch off it. Which is why his playing style is described as a dying breed of midfield hard-men but he’s intelligent and says funny things.

I wish that meant we’d get Roy doing the Robot at an extremely opportune moment.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Emmy #1 goes to Hannah Waddingham

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Emmy 2 to loving Roy Kent (Brett Goldstein)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Really didn't like this Ted Lasso episode, mainly because I realized I don't care about Beard and I don't really feel like they made me care about how he's suicidal (?) about not standing up to Ted more, and I also don't really care about his relationship with either Jane or God. I did like the three barflies and wish the episode had been about them instead.

My girlfriend, who is not online at all, has absolutely loved every episode of Ted Lasso but hated this one, so I don't think it's just "online people."

On the See front, another great episode and the acting is really solid. Also I love that I just now realized that Pennsa = Penn State. Trivantes is obviously Pittsburgh, but not sure what the other faction (Gianites?) are supposed to be.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Emmy 3: Jason Sudeikis

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Juno Temple for all the awards

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Emmy 4: Ted Lasso for Best Comedy

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hannah Waddingham's slightly manic acceptance speech included a line that feels like it could've been from the show:

quote:

Juno Temple! *points to award* I swear to god if I could break off one of her arms and give it to you- because that's what you are to me. There's no Rebecca without Keeley! And if you ever leave my life, I'm gonna stalk you.

Love to see it.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 20, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/djkevlar/status/1439805801179222022
It's good to see they're enjoying their moment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VagueRant posted:

Hannah Waddingham's slightly manic acceptance speech included a line that feels like it could've been from the show:

Love to see it.

The videos I’ve seen on YouTube of them for EW etc have shown their relationship to be just like the shows, and I love it. Also anything with Brett is hilarious. I don’t usually watch those things, but the Ted ones are a lot of fun.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhEpas0TXsA

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I’m liking this season because it’s not a rehash of last season and I think the characters are more human. Then again, I enjoy pathos.

I also liked this last episode with Beard because a strong Neil Gaiman “NeverWhere” vibe.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
What pathos? Ted talking about his dad is the only thing I can think of the entire season. There was way more pathos last season.

Edit:
I guess Jamie and his dad could fit in there too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Marsupial Ape posted:

I also liked this last episode with Beard because a strong Neil Gaiman “NeverWhere” vibe.

I absolutely got this too, to the point where I wondered if it was somewhat intentional. I couldn’t say why but it felt very, very Neverwhere.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
From the man that spearheaded nickel and diming at the parks, Bob Paycheck is at it again

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-ceo-bob-chapek-considering-advertising-on-disney/

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Isn't that normal for streaming services? That way they can charge another $5 a month for an ad-free version? I think Netflix is the only one that doesn't do that stuff. Even HBO is jamming previews of their shows before streaming now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No, you’re meant to be paying to not have the ads. Not paying then paying more to not have ads. Most streaming services will do a pre-roll trailer for something else (that you can skip) but not have full bore ad breaks, that’s meant to be the whole point.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
See also: cable tv a few decades ago.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Actually I’ll say my biggest issue with the second season of Lasso, I hate that the episodes are getting longer. A big part of the season one appeal was having episodes be half an hour only, and now they’re pushing into 40-45 minutes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

34 / 33 / 36 / 30 / 38 / 35 / 35 / 45 / 43

It’s only the last 2 episodes that have run particularly long. Personally, I love this whole streaming ideology of letting the episode run the length to tell the story. Cutting to 22/44 has always sucked for the viewer.

E: just to note that not a single episode in s1 ran under 30, and this Friday’s episode runs 46 which makes me happy. There’s a clip of it on the Kimmel interview with Hannah and it looks to be a great storyline progression from that.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 23, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I do like that about streaming shows. Every once in a while a show is just 70 minutes long for no reason and it's usually a pleasant surprise.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

EL BROMANCE posted:

34 / 33 / 36 / 30 / 38 / 35 / 35 / 45 / 43

It’s only the last 2 episodes that have run particularly long. Personally, I love this whole streaming ideology of letting the episode run the length to tell the story. Cutting to 22/44 has always sucked for the viewer.

E: just to note that not a single episode in s1 ran under 30, and this Friday’s episode runs 46 which makes me happy. There’s a clip of it on the Kimmel interview with Hannah and it looks to be a great storyline progression from that.

Hard agree. I would rather the story dictate the time than ad breaks and TV scheduling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

njsykora posted:

No, you’re meant to be paying to not have the ads. Not paying then paying more to not have ads. Most streaming services will do a pre-roll trailer for something else (that you can skip) but not have full bore ad breaks, that’s meant to be the whole point.

Tell that to discovery+, Hulu, Paramont+, and Peacock.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I've been debating just going back to pirating everything since there's commercials and like five hundred streaming sites now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I mean that's the thing right, piracy was rampant because of how locked down and fragmented everything was, then a few streaming services sprang up and had almost everything for one subscription so piracy died down, now it's all locked down and fragmented again so people are going to start pirating again.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Can't wait to get those flaccid "please stop downloading" letters from AT&T again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

njsykora posted:

I mean that's the thing right, piracy was rampant because of how locked down and fragmented everything was, then a few streaming services sprang up and had almost everything for one subscription so piracy died down, now it's all locked down and fragmented again so people are going to start pirating again.

Just wait for whatever post-streaming service starts up that collates several streaming services into one subscription.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

tsob posted:

Just wait for whatever post-streaming service starts up that collates several streaming services into one subscription.

Disney+ in fifteen years?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Every media company will have its own streaming service, which means we'll be back down to 3 within a few years since Discovery+ is probably getting merged into HBO Max if they end up merging with Warner Bros. Even the free services in the UK (because the BBC iPlayer established free streaming as a default here super early, as poo poo as the early iPlayer was) keep expanding, especially when Viacom bought Channel 5 and My5 got a good chunk of the Paramount library added to it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 23, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

swickles posted:

Hard agree. I would rather the story dictate the time than ad breaks and TV scheduling.

both sentiments can be true. some show makers appreciate being able to cut episodes to different lengths. some viewers appreciate having a consistent episode length

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

howe_sam posted:

Tell that to discovery+, Hulu, Paramont+, and Peacock.

Peacock at least has the decency to be free.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

Peacock at least has the decency to be free.

The mid-tier Peacock "Premium" plan also has ads.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

howe_sam posted:

The mid-tier Peacock "Premium" plan also has ads.

Well, free is still an option for commercial-having, unlike Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
i'm impressed by 2x10 of Ted Lasso. The Rick Astley thing seemed odd at first, but also appropriately Ted Lasso, as it were.

Plenty of plot development, with more plot setup for future drama. 2 more to go for this season and 2x11 looks like possibly Sam's dad might make an appearance