Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Roundboy posted:

Im surprised there is no power option between biofuel and coal. Sure its easy to get it up and running, but i dont have all the unlocks in place to make the coal area nice and its too ingrained to take it apart and redo it.

I (stupidly?) went for the rifle this playthrough, and it is god drat annoying to keep it loaded, but its my go to for the boss spitter/spider/lion. I wish there was more of a reaction when it hits so I can tell its working vs just burning ammo

...Also something to bridge the gap of jetpack vs blade runners. I really need the quick movement

i grabbed a mod that added some wind power stuff which was a nice supplement to biofuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Leal posted:

The rifle is for shooting spiders cause gently caress getting close to those things

You mean cat things?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dear God, never enough of them loving screws. I think I'm gonna stake another iron+coal claim and make a huge factory that just makes screws.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dear God, never enough of them loving screws. I think I'm gonna stake another iron+coal claim and make a huge factory that just makes screws.

My initial factory has like 5-6 rod constructors --> screws dedicated, and I was still running behind with just simple ranforced plate / rotor production. Getting the steel screw recipe was a god send and 1 almost replaces all of it (when i get around to it)

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Well poo poo, I just watched one of the latest dev videos, and the area where I built my base, along the north central coast, is due for a massive revamp before 1.0. I had planned to use this build to complete the game, but now I’m thinking it’s time for a fresh start.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hate screws. The game goes out of its way to discourage making buses by decentralizing basic materials from most parts. Except it in the case of screws, but even then it’s not enough because recipes requires a crap ton of them and you can only move so many of down a belt. They bottle neck everything and not in a fun way that encourages you to be creative; the only solution is to brute force it or get stupidly lucky with an alt. recipe. :argh:

E: Stupid iPhone autocannon

E2: Why would you change “auto-correct” to autocannon!?:negative:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 23, 2021

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe your phone is threatening you with an orbital weapon of some kind.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Screws can technically be cut entirely using alternate recopies, but the alternate's that DO require screws allow you to minimize the total number of machines by being extremely fast.

So you just make screws on location when you need them. Cast Screws make that easy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

M_Gargantua posted:

Screws can technically be cut entirely using alternate recopies, but the alternate's that DO require screws allow you to minimize the total number of machines by being extremely fast.

So you just make screws on location when you need them. Cast Screws make that easy.

It's one of my main beefs with the game. Cast Screws is a real game changer, to the point where it makes sense to save scrum to get the recipe.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If you find enough hard drives early on, you are almost guarunteed to get it as it only pulls recipes from a limited pool.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A simple improvement to the game would be to make Cast Screws the standard screw recipe and the alternate be made from rods but produce more screws.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tenebrais posted:

A simple improvement to the game would be to make Cast Screws the standard screw recipe and the alternate be made from rods but produce more screws.

This.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Making the rods to make screws wasn’t really a problem for me so much as just an extra step to make work. The real problem for the first 3/4 of the game was making enough screws, and the last 1/4 was the transfer rate even with max level belts.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
it is a problem when a single machine needs 100/min. but the standard one only puts out 15 or 30

...and you want multiple machines. But I can see myself redoing whole factories when a new recipe comes in

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Coal, finally. :getin: can’t wait to gently caress around with pipes.

How many coal generators should I be using? I found a coal deposit RIGHT on a lake which is awesome, I’m hoping I can just split it and send it to like 3-4 generators depending on input/output speeds. Is it better to just generate power at the source and run power over to my base, or run the water and coal over closer to my base?

Pros of building near coal/water: Easier to update when I get faster pipes, less effort since I just need to run power lines instead of pipes, conveyor belt speed is irrelevant

Cons: pipes look cool, can stack pipe with conveyor and eventually a hyper tube on the same stack, looks cooler and easier to change settings with if they’re closer to base

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
depends on the node, but 60m/s coal (Normal?) will support 4 coal plants. and you need like 1.5 water generators for 4.

I usually end up building 8 power plants and 3 water extractors. Unless you start underclocking them and connecting them special, which i never bother with. As for distance, you really are at a function of the water height, as you need pumps to lift it, but i think once you lift it really high initially, you can return to that height at any point without pumps.... although that might need a valve to go in there somewhere.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It might be a pure node, actually, I’ll have to double check. Once I gather materials I’ll go build a miner over there. Luckily it’s almost perfectly flat over to it once I pump it high enough.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
always build as many as physically possible and don't over/under clock them. Just build more.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i have no idea what over/underclocking is but whatever. i just want to stop refueling my own poo poo

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

i have no idea what over/underclocking is but whatever. i just want to stop refueling my own poo poo

I don't think there's much reason to figure out overclocking until your buildings can run nonstop without you having to do something, which until you have coal power is the case.

If you've seen glowing slugs around, you can craft them into devices to plug into your buildings, allowing you to "overclock" them by 50/100/150% (for one two and three devices, I think those are the levels). You get faster production, but there's usually a tradeoff in the form of much higher power consumption or something. You don't super need to worry about rates of production until you are trying to balance a multi-stage production process, which you don't really need to worry about until you can just leave your poo poo running by itself without it shutting off, which generally you can't do until coal unless you REALLY like cutting down trees.

Generally, it will be more efficient to just build two factories rather than overclock one, but there might be other factors.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Thumbtacks posted:

You might not have overclocking unlocked yet, you have to research it in the MAM. Lets you adjust the rate at which machines are producing items, but you have to turn power slugs into power shards first. Each shard lets you raise the input/output rate of any given machine by 50% at the cost of using more power. Underclocking generally isn't that useful unless you're extremely OCD about the game and want your factories running at 100% efficiency all the time.

I wouldn't worry about it for now, but once it starts to be a consideration the main rule is you only want to use your power shards to overclock miners, especially on rare nodes like caterium. You can always build more machines to process that ore into whatever you need, the only way to get the most out of the limited nodes on the map is through overclocking.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 23, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Underclocking gives you significant power savings early game, which helps increase the time between biofuel generator refills

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I overclock almost everything with at least 1. There’s so many slugs it doesn’t even matter. Need a little more ingots but your ingot space is filled to the brim and you don’t want to play tetris making more? Slap some power cells in there. Want something to to faster just because? Boom power cells.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

turns out that's a pure coal node so if my math is right i can power like 8+ coal generators off of it. :science: time to upscale, i've been waiting for this

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, tier 6. Seems everything you need to go big. Time to tear most down and make proper specialized factories.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Thumbtacks posted:

turns out that's a pure coal node so if my math is right i can power like 8+ coal generators off of it. :science: time to upscale, i've been waiting for this

8 with 3 water pumps. Beware, the pumps cannot all be on one side for input! 8 generators need more water than one pipe segment can carry!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just set three up with a water splitter and a conveyor splitter, at the moment a mk1 conveyor is enough to power all three of them, i'll start upgrading my belts once i redesign my iron area and start mass producing reinforced plates. three normal iron nodes might be enough for everything i need right now, although i'll need to do some math and figure out where i need splitters and how many. no one told me this was a math game but the part of my brain that needs to solve puzzles is very happy

necrotic posted:

8 with 3 water pumps. Beware, the pumps cannot all be on one side for input! 8 generators need more water than one pipe segment can carry!

I figured I'd need more than one pipe, i think three coal generators per pipe is about all I can squeeze out of it, but I designed the pipes to fit nicely together so hopefully it works. What do you mean about them all being on one side?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I just set one of these up and make sure your first few main bits of belt at least are mk2. The ones on the end will get starved otherwise

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If you’re building to ratio, the construction game in this revolves around balancing rational functions and it never stops, welcome to the Factory

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It's a pure coal vein so it's 120 coal/min, I don't think my belt can get particularly starved from that. i'll start replacing them once I can, though

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Thumbtacks posted:

It's a pure coal vein so it's 120 coal/min, I don't think my belt can get particularly starved from that. i'll start replacing them once I can, though

Mk1 belt can only take 60/min out of the miner. Mk2 does 120/min

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I just set three up with a water splitter and a conveyor splitter, at the moment a mk1 conveyor is enough to power all three of them, i'll start upgrading my belts once i redesign my iron area and start mass producing reinforced plates. three normal iron nodes might be enough for everything i need right now, although i'll need to do some math and figure out where i need splitters and how many. no one told me this was a math game but the part of my brain that needs to solve puzzles is very happy

I figured I'd need more than one pipe, i think three coal generators per pipe is about all I can squeeze out of it, but I designed the pipes to fit nicely together so hopefully it works. What do you mean about them all being on one side?

You will be getting upgraded miners later on that will let you run even more coal plants off of a single node, so plan for expansion.

The part about not putting all the extractors on one side, what they're saying is that you can't fit the water required to run 8 coal plants through a single pipe. Which is true if you try to cram it in all at once, but you can also just space out the inputs along the length of your pipe and use them to refill it as the coal plants at the start of the line have emptied it out. So you have one pipe running from an extractor the length of your coal plants, with intersections feeding each coal plant individually, and then after the third or fourth coal plant you put in a pipe running from a second water extractor, and another one at the end of the line. That ensures you have full water capacity the whole way down the line.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I set up a copper shop at late night yesterday, with tired eyes. Because I found a pure copper node. Or so I thought. I wired it up today, started it and wondered why the vein gave 60 units instead of 240 per min. It said impure. :toot:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, tier 6. Seems everything you need to go big. Time to tear most down and make proper specialized factories.

Don't tear anything down. Instead, build somewhere else then later come back and look upon your humble beginnings.

In my case I kept most of my initial factories but built a new hub over the top of it Hengsha style.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

You will be getting upgraded miners later on that will let you run even more coal plants off of a single node, so plan for expansion.

The part about not putting all the extractors on one side, what they're saying is that you can't fit the water required to run 8 coal plants through a single pipe. Which is true if you try to cram it in all at once, but you can also just space out the inputs along the length of your pipe and use them to refill it as the coal plants at the start of the line have emptied it out. So you have one pipe running from an extractor the length of your coal plants, with intersections feeding each coal plant individually, and then after the third or fourth coal plant you put in a pipe running from a second water extractor, and another one at the end of the line. That ensures you have full water capacity the whole way down the line.

Can confirm this works. Though I gotta say once you I hit coal then oil power pretty much became a thing I didn't worry about anymore. No need to even min max to any real degree.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Spent a while rerouting some water, I was either extremely far away from the ocean or had to send water over lke two full mountains, but I have a setup now I think. I dont think i fully understand pipes and pumps and probably have WAY more pumps than I need, but whatever, it works. now i have a plan for my iron area but to really get it to work i would have to just tear it down and if i do that and it DOESN'T work out then i'm hosed

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I set up a copper shop at late night yesterday, with tired eyes. Because I found a pure copper node. Or so I thought. I wired it up today, started it and wondered why the vein gave 60 units instead of 240 per min. It said impure. :toot:

The rock that sits on top of a node can be pure, even if the node itself isn't

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Are Biomass Burners still not able to be belt-fed? I was a little hype for Update 5 but I guess I'm waiting for mod updates if that's still the case.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Plastik posted:

Are Biomass Burners still not able to be belt-fed? I was a little hype for Update 5 but I guess I'm waiting for mod updates if that's still the case.

That's one of the main points of the biomass burners, according to how they designed the game, that it's impossible to automate them fully. Don't expect that to ever be changed in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's a design decision to push the player into more advanced, more powerful alternatives.

Trust me: a handful of coal turbines is not only 100% hands off once set up but puts your starting biomass setup to shame. You'll only keep a few burners around for emergency restarts.