Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

henpod posted:

It all seems kinda fast, but I guess he has some FOV stuff going on. But yeah, running, driving, shooting, sliding etc, this is going to be a faster-paced BF game for sure. Hopefully not to COD levels.

Didn’t I hear something about people increasing the speed of the video to help prevent it from being taken down or did I dream that?

That said that tank does haul rear end.

Him with the pistol everything just moved so loving fast I got a little concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

ZeusCannon posted:

Roblox breaks my mind because i have NEVER seen an uglier game. I assume its got a lot of variety or something.

You should lookup Battleborn. One of the most horrible visual artstyles I've ever seen.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Thirsty Dog posted:

The hunt isn't a battle royale. It's twelve players max, for a start, which is barely a battle. Aside from that it has very little in common with BRs like Fortnite, Apex, Pubg, Warzone, etc, which all follow the BR formula with some differences.

And yeah, I'm someone who would enjoy Hunt and thinks BRs are unsatisfying and a lovely game mode that are inexplicably popular.

Hunt is pretty close to a BR. It's similarities are far greater than its differences. I'm hoping Battlefield Hazard Zone will be the same. They keep on saying it's not a Butthole Royal. (I don't like the Battle Royal genre but I love Hunt).

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

Hunt is pretty close to a BR. It's similarities are far greater than its differences. I'm hoping Battlefield Hazard Zone will be the same. They keep on saying it's not a Butthole Royal. (I don't like the Battle Royal genre but I love Hunt).

So, I've not played Hunt, but watched a bit of it back in the day and I thought I had a good handle on what sort of game it was.

A Battle Royale commonly does this:

1) "Hot drops" where you choose where you enter into a large zone
2) Large player counts, can be played solo or in a squad
3) You start unarmed and must scavenge weapons & items
4) You are funnelled into an ever-smaller area, either with the traditional "circle of death" that gets tighter and tighter, or with funky zone/quadrant destruction
5) The objective is simply to be the last person/squad left alive

How much of that does Hunt do? I don't want to argue from a position of ignorance!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Thirsty Dog posted:

So, I've not played Hunt, but watched a bit of it back in the day and I thought I had a good handle on what sort of game it was.

4) You are funnelled into an ever-smaller area, either with the traditional "circle of death" that gets tighter and tighter, or with funky zone/quadrant destruction

How much of that does Hunt do? I don't want to argue from a position of ignorance!

Literally none of them lol, at least in the game mode people actually play

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hope the movement speeds are as fast as in that vid

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

found an in-game timer in that vid and the footage doesnt seem sped up :getin:

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Hunt is (as a BF player) an excellent squad (or solo, if you're crazy) shooter that allows for outwitting and outgunning other squads. It scratches an itch I've previously gotten from bf4 squad play and to a lesser degree pubg and apex. Despite the lack of bullet drop, every shot feels physical and satisfying once you get a hang of it. It very often results in interesting narrative structures within a reasonable 30-minute span, and losses are punishing but reasonable. You can play it roguelike-fashion by setting weird rules or tactics to focus on, much like BF.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1441109372340297744

Not official but please dice

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1441113061545238528

kri kri fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 23, 2021

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
50mm canon, wtf ?
Probably 50 cal unfortunately

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Krogort posted:

50mm canon, wtf ?
Probably 50 cal unfortunately

There's 50mm guns in use for missile defense currently and under development for armaments so I can definitely see the main gunner on an air transport having a 50mm cannon.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

There's 50mm guns in use for missile defense currently and under development for armaments so I can definitely see the main gunner on an air transport having a 50mm cannon.

I cant wait to shoot the ground one inch by a guy's feet with the 50mm and him not even taking 1hp worth of damage from it.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Mordja posted:

Thirsty Dog posted:

Literally none of them lol, at least in the game mode people actually play

You are hot dropped into a random area on the edge of the map, which you can't select.
Instead of scavenging for weapons or supplies, you need to collect clues. So instead of starting out with no equipment, you start out with no information. You have to scavenge for information to reach the objective. You can also scavenge tons of stuff to help you out, such as health packs, traps, replacement equipment, and even guns. You can even bring in a person with almost nothing on him and deck him out with equipment you find around.
You absolutely do get funneled into a smaller area, but it's not a hard requirement. 95% of people that play choose to get funneled.
Every game results in the teams being widdled down until there's only one team remaining. Rarely there's more than 1 team that successfully evacs, but in over 90% of games that doesn't happen.

When you actually play you use a lot of Battle Royal tactics and phrases. Being loud puts you at a major disadvantage since players can ambush you from almost any angle on the wide open map, third partying, resources such as ammunition and equipment being in short supply, health doesn't fully regenerate, team mates being knocked out and having to spectate until their friends revive them or being permanently knocked out of the game, and probably more poo poo that makes it similar to most other BRs.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can’t wait til someone adopts the term Battle Royale+

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jisforjosh posted:

Would appreciate 50mm quad cannons for air defense versus flying transports

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Charles 1998 posted:

You are hot dropped into a random area on the edge of the map, which you can't select.
Instead of scavenging for weapons or supplies, you need to collect clues. So instead of starting out with no equipment, you start out with no information. You have to scavenge for information to reach the objective. You can also scavenge tons of stuff to help you out, such as health packs, traps, replacement equipment, and even guns. You can even bring in a person with almost nothing on him and deck him out with equipment you find around.
You absolutely do get funneled into a smaller area, but it's not a hard requirement. 95% of people that play choose to get funneled.
Every game results in the teams being widdled down until there's only one team remaining. Rarely there's more than 1 team that successfully evacs, but in over 90% of games that doesn't happen.

When you actually play you use a lot of Battle Royal tactics and phrases. Being loud puts you at a major disadvantage since players can ambush you from almost any angle on the wide open map, third partying, resources such as ammunition and equipment being in short supply, health doesn't fully regenerate, team mates being knocked out and having to spectate until their friends revive them or being permanently knocked out of the game, and probably more poo poo that makes it similar to most other BRs.

You're pretty largely wrong.

To your first point, yes people all spawn on the edge of the map, thats true.

You can try and scaenge weapons on a naked player but I don't know why you would. You can always bring into the bayou an equipped player for free (has basic weapons). And while there are weapons occasionally around the map they are incredibly rare (like one a compound with no reliable way to find it) and can be of any type. I have almost 1000 hours in Hunt and I can count on my hand the number of times I've swapped out for something I found as a world spawn. So "deck him out" is not even remotely correct.

You kind of get funneled into a smaller area, but at a decently high level most players will choose more clever ways to play than just "GO TO THIS BOSS COMPOUND". Because of how sound works tons of ifghts happen independent of the "shrinking" play area, and also some people choose to ambush extraction or sit between boss compound and extract. The entire playable area is always in play and thats what makes the game so dynamic.

A ton of games don't end in only one team remaning. Maybe 50%? There are tons of maps where there are double bounties, meaning two teams can seperately extract with two different sets of bounties and that happens fairly often. Sometimes teams will opt to make a run for it and extract meaning two teams are left alive (or more). Sometimes people even just straight up extract if the round feels lost (less common). Though full server wipes happen they are hardly every game.

Everything you are describing that makes it "like a BR" is mostly just things that make it like a shooter. Hunt showdown is only BR adjacent.

Boy thats a lot of words. Turns out if people mischaracterize my favorite game I become insufferable.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Hunt: Showdown is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + Epic Showdown Heroes!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can’t wait til someone adopts the term Battle Royale+

Battle royale with cheese

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hunt is way more Tarkov than BR.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lotta posts about something that doesn't exist

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

Lotta posts about something that doesn't exist

Yeah it's important to remember we mostly have conjecture until the government Dice releases more official UAP gameplay footage

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDOfkU3zUjY

Probably the best quality gameplay footage so far.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant make sense of the metrics in the top right corner

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

codo27 posted:

I cant make sense of the metrics in the top right corner

Frames Per Second/ MilliSeconds
so overall its like 30 fps and each frame takes 33ms to render. the next two lines are how much of that is being spend in the simulation thread and how much in the gpu context.
the bottom statistic looks like MegaPixels per Second, how many millions of pixels are being pushed to the monitor every second.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Jenny Agutter posted:

Frames Per Second/ MilliSeconds
so overall its like 30 fps and each frame takes 33ms to render. the next two lines are how much of that is being spend in the simulation thread and how much in the gpu context.
the bottom statistic looks like MegaPixels per Second, how many millions of pixels are being pushed to the monitor every second.

Imagine having to display the same exact number multiple times.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

Battle royale with cheese

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Charles 1998 posted:

Imagine having to display the same exact number multiple times.

It's actually quite informative when you're actually TESTING the game in a technical test instead of just playing it. If you're having any issues with performance like hitching; it's good to know if it's in the rendering side of the GPU, a delay in the CPU queueing up frames, or something wrong in the game's engine causing a delay in software before it even gets to hardware so you can accurately report those issues in your feedback.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

oh man I really need to get used to that ugly light green-blue (cyan?) HUD and menu color.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1442474964217524227

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I would also like purple and green flames please

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I will preorder for some dazzle camoflage pants for my digital barbie thanks in advance

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I would also like purple and green flames please

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
An extremely accurate “I have a daily video conference call with headquarters” look.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I hope they add camo where you have to decode Morse code on a map no one plays again

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

I hope they add camo where you have to decode Morse code on a map no one plays again

The high point of spring "lock down" last year

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Give me the All Points Bulletin character customization you cowards

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

lmao lord have mercy

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Right, something less realistic than this

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
the real reason to include portal and the Hazard zone is to allow themselves to go off the rails selling whatever kind of cosmetic poo poo they want to

BF5 got tons of blowback on that front because they tried to throw fortnite level cosmetics in a WW2 game where now everyone looked like a costume party clown so it no longer felt like a WW2 game. now they have a nice little zany side mode that they can add terminator and rambo licensed skins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The cosmetics in BFV sucked poo poo and didn't appease anyone and they didn't even start adding them until the game had been out for months

Like they didn't release the cosmetics that were in the beta for almost a year lmao gently caress that game was such trash