Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yes you can notice the glow of the backlighting on an LED during dark scenes in soft light fairly easily imo. I have a C8 OLED and an X90H and the former has way better blacks while the latter is way brighter overall. I like the Sony for our very well lit lounge room and the OLED for the den.

I can't tell you that it's worth the price, but it is noticeable and the OLED is a nicer picture in most scenarios to me overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So a little confused on something on the Sony TVs this year.
According to all the reviews online I致e seen none of the Sony痴 support ALLM.
But on a number of models on Sony痴 website they specifically list ALLM as supported on specific HDMI ports.

I知 inclined to believe the reviews but is this a recent change that was implemented on the TVs after the reviews were made?

Looking at the A80J, X90J and X95J

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
In case gaming is a concern you should really consider LGs Oleds if you haven't already.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's safe to assume that nothing HDMI 2.1 works until you read a third party hands on report that it does, because most of those features don't or are "coming soon" where "soon" can mean "never."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
4k hdr really ruins sci-fi, cause you can see where the makeup and latex stop around every alien's/etc. eyes

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I just got the LG C1 83" and it's amazing. Once I start FPS gaming I don't want to stop. Everything is incredibly fluid. And I'm only sitting 4 feet away from it lol.

I still need to get the TV configured properly for streaming movies and shows. Some outdoor scenes appear too dark, though I can notice the details.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Setting Dynamic Contrast to Medium does a good job of brightening darker scenes, but you can sometimes see it change levels if the room is dark enough.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung 70" QLED $1,149 Shipped
from Amazon, Best Buy will pricematch

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Incessant Excess posted:

In case gaming is a concern you should really consider LGs Oleds if you haven't already.

I really want to. But I知 not certain it will work in my room.

I知 putting room darkening blinds on the three windows closest to the tv. But that patio glass door I知 not sure what to do with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Again, the whole "OLEDS need a dark room!" thing is a half myth and half FUD.

MAYBE if you want to have eye reactive highlights during the storm scene in Mad Max Fury Road at high noon, you should seek out a 1500 nit LCD.

If you've ever watched any non-HDR content in that room without issue, that content isn't going to be any brighter on an LCD vs OLED.

In HDR content, it's only the peak highlights that are clipped on an OLED, but those are still going to be several times brighter than any SDR content and will still be plenty visible.

The dark parts of scenes are going to be just as dark on LCD vs OLED leading to the same visibility issues in a bright room, you just get to have blooming on the LCD at night.

The only time display needs special attention for brightness is if you are putting one outside under broad daylight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have the slats down on my blinds as I live in Florida, but have never had any issue with an OLED.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Is it considered "normal" for an OLED to develop a dead pixel/subpixel after being used for a couple of weeks?

I got a 48" C1 a couple of weeks back and tonight I noticed a black spot in the middle of the screen, but it's only clearly visible from certain angles. It was late by the time I saw it, so I haven't checked it with the fullscreen single colours, but it showed up when a static area of white was displayed on the area. I set the pixel refresher to run before going to bed, but I don't know if that would improve or fix anything if it's an actual dead pixel/subpixel.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Could it be that a part of the image was dimmed due to a static image? I noticed that the corners sometimes had "dark" blotches after playing for a while, eventually realized that was the after effect of the logo dimming function.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

xgalaxy posted:

I really want to. But I知 not certain it will work in my room.

I知 putting room darkening blinds on the three windows closest to the tv. But that patio glass door I知 not sure what to do with.

All shutters all the time

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should get blinds where you have your TV just because it's good to have light control, but you won't have any additional problems with an OLED.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Could it be that a part of the image was dimmed due to a static image? I noticed that the corners sometimes had "dark" blotches after playing for a while, eventually realized that was the after effect of the logo dimming function.
Huh. It's weird. I don't know if it was the logo dimming function kicking in, if the pixel refresher actually fixed it, or if I just can't see it now, but I can't seem to find that black spot anywhere. Oh well. Hopefully I won't notice it again and nothing else will crop up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grog posted:

Huh. It's weird. I don't know if it was the logo dimming function kicking in, if the pixel refresher actually fixed it, or if I just can't see it now, but I can't seem to find that black spot anywhere. Oh well. Hopefully I won't notice it again and nothing else will crop up.

I had a panic moment day before yesterday where I thought there was a long scratch on my new OLED. Turned out it was just that the opening title screen for Pathfinder: Kingmaker has a long white line artifact that's only visible on a very high quality 4k display. Pretty clearly just something they didn't see to edit out in development.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Any thoughts/experience on the LG A1 OLED? I am in the market for a 65" set, and WANT an OLED, but previously hadn't thought the value to be there because I have young kids and don't want to spend a lot for the living room TV (have been looking more in the 1000-1200 range) that they would smudge and push and whatnot. This is our main TV, so I don't want a stinker, but I also find it hard to justify the 1600-1800 to get into OLED territory.

But Costco has the 65" on sale and with a bonus shop card, and the 5 year warranty included making it ~1440 or so pre-tax. Are the A1 trade offs dealbreakers? Would this be worth the cost increase over the like, Sony X900H range at 999 for this size?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This could probably go in several different threads, but I'll try here first:

What do y'all think about Dolby Vision? I have a ShieldTV (2019) going to a Denon AVR-X3500H that is connected to a LG C8. The Shield has been prompting me to enable DV for awhile now, and this morning I decided to mess around with it. I enabled it and opened Disney+ and found a movie that supports it...and it just looks loving weird. Almost like motion smoothing is enabled but not awful like that looks. It gives movies (even old stuff like Iron Man) a weird depth effect that I don't normally see with DV disabled and just normal HDR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dolby Vision doesn't do anything for motion, it's simply another way to HDR and should look just like HDR10 with better tone mapping.

It does light up different picture modes though on the TV and maybe it defaulted to trumotion being on.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

It does light up different picture modes though on the TV and maybe it defaulted to trumotion being on.

That's exactly how it works on the CX at least.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yep, that's what I just figured out. Things look much better now with all of that off. Seems like it's about on par as normal HDR stuff so I'll probably leave it disabled for now since my ambilight really doesn't like it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Important and essential innovations in televisions:

First television->color->flat screens->motion smoothing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

Important and essential innovations in televisions:

First television->color->coaxial cable input->remote control->flat screens->motion smoothing

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cozmosis posted:

Any thoughts/experience on the LG A1 OLED? I am in the market for a 65" set, and WANT an OLED, but previously hadn't thought the value to be there because I have young kids and don't want to spend a lot for the living room TV (have been looking more in the 1000-1200 range) that they would smudge and push and whatnot. This is our main TV, so I don't want a stinker, but I also find it hard to justify the 1600-1800 to get into OLED territory.
The biggest difference compared to a C1 is that the A1 uses a gimped controller that doesn't support HDMI 2.1, 120Hz, or VRR. It also might be slightly less bright but reviews indicate you wouldn't notice unless you had them side by side.

I'd say if you don't care about high end gaming the A1 is fine.

There's also the online-only B1 that has 120Hz and partial VRR support, but I've never seen those be significantly cheaper than a C1 where it'd be worth caring about.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

wolrah posted:

The biggest difference compared to a C1 is that the A1 uses a gimped controller that doesn't support HDMI 2.1, 120Hz, or VRR. It also might be slightly less bright but reviews indicate you wouldn't notice unless you had them side by side.

I'd say if you don't care about high end gaming the A1 is fine.

There's also the online-only B1 that has 120Hz and partial VRR support, but I've never seen those be significantly cheaper than a C1 where it'd be worth caring about.

Yeah, this wouldn't be for gaming at all. Just TV and movies.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Local store has two 77" Lg G1 available for $3400 and 0% financing.
So tempting.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

xgalaxy posted:

Local store has two 77" Lg G1 available for $3400 and 0% financing.
So tempting.

Why do you want to buy two G1's?

Is the plan to eventually own four G1's and arrange them in such a way that they operate simultaneously as some super screen?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

The Question IRL posted:

Why do you want to buy two G1's?

Is the plan to eventually own four G1's and arrange them in such a way that they operate simultaneously as some super screen?

Just need the one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I like his idea better

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
One mounted vertically for couch coding

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I'm trying out HDR mode on my LG C1, for gaming, starting off with Doom: Eternal. After configuring Windows 10 and the C1 for HDR I noticed the Game Optimizer set the Pixel brightness to 100, the Contrast to 90 or 95, and the Screen Brightness to 50.

And being in a darkened room, I also noticed my Windows 10 file explorer screens had become extremely bright once in HDR mode. I had to go back to the C1 and turn down the Pixel Brightness and Contrast settings, which, in doing so, maybe defeated the purpose of going into HDR mode.

For HDR mode Is it OK to let the C1 set the Pixel Brightness to 100 and Contrast to 95? That seemed excessively high to me, and not sure if that's good for the longevity of the TV or not.

I was watching a video on how to calibrate the in-game HDR settings for Doom:Eternal, and in the Youtube video the image of the blue-health bottle power-ups in Doom were a color of white instead of blue, which told me the HDR settings were way too bright, either in Windows 10, my Nvidia settings, or the C1's settings.

I get the impression the implementation of HDR was not coordinated well in the electronics and software industry, as there are too many things to fiddle to with to get HDR setup properly.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nnnotime posted:

I'm trying out HDR mode on my LG C1, for gaming, starting off with Doom: Eternal. After configuring Windows 10 and the C1 for HDR I noticed the Game Optimizer set the Pixel brightness to 100, the Contrast to 90 or 95, and the Screen Brightness to 50.

And being in a darkened room, I also noticed my Windows 10 file explorer screens had become extremely bright once in HDR mode. I had to go back to the C1 and turn down the Pixel Brightness and Contrast settings, which, in doing so, maybe defeated the purpose of going into HDR mode.

For HDR mode Is it OK to let the C1 set the Pixel Brightness to 100 and Contrast to 95? That seemed excessively high to me, and not sure if that's good for the longevity of the TV or not.

I was watching a video on how to calibrate the in-game HDR settings for Doom:Eternal, and in the Youtube video the image of the blue-health bottle power-ups in Doom were a color of white instead of blue, which told me the HDR settings were way too bright, either in Windows 10, my Nvidia settings, or the C1's settings.

I get the impression the implementation of HDR was not coordinated well in the electronics and software industry, as there are too many things to fiddle to with to get HDR setup properly.

There is a Windows setting that allows you to lower the brightness of the desktop while keeping it at a max value for games. As for settings, you can use this post as orientation: https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

There is a Windows setting that allows you to lower the brightness of the desktop while keeping it at a max value for games. As for settings, you can use this post as orientation: https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/
Thank you. I had found earlier the same reddit OLED-guide and used it to configure my C1 and Windows 10 HDR settings. I was confused by this setting, "HDR/SDR brightness balance: 12% (8-20%) or 20-33%". I had found in Windows 10 HDR settings a control with a slider and two images down below. I assume this adjusts the balance of brightness between HDR and SDR modes? I'll have to go through all the settings again to see if I missed anything.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nnnotime posted:

I assume this adjusts the balance of brightness between HDR and SDR modes? I'll have to go through all the settings again to see if I missed anything.

Believe this is the setting I referenced, it darkens your desktop to make programs not eye searingly bright in HDR while not affecting games.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Speaking of HDR on PC, how can you tell that something like VLC is even using HDR since you're just enabling the Windows setting and VLC doesn't seem to have any feedback in that regard.

I'm guessing an HDR file is just always going to play HDR so the Windows setting basically just tells your display to enable HDR so I think I kind of answered my own question with that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

The Question IRL posted:

https://www.datapathltd.com/datapath-products/multi-display-products/datapath-fx4-hdr

Totally worth it.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Speaking of HDR on PC, how can you tell that something like VLC is even using HDR since you're just enabling the Windows setting and VLC doesn't seem to have any feedback in that regard.

I'm guessing an HDR file is just always going to play HDR so the Windows setting basically just tells your display to enable HDR so I think I kind of answered my own question with that.
I'm not sure. Once I got HDR setup in Windows 10 and fired up Doom:Eternal, I saw a purple logo with HDR pop-up briefly in the upper-right side of my TV, which I believe came from the C1's Game Optimizer system. Went I went back into one of my TV menus I thought I saw reference to HDR active but I will have to check again.

Speaking of HDR and Windows, it appears in Windows 11 they are adding an HDR feature to enable HDR for games that support at least DirectX 11, if your TV or monitor also supports HDR. They also added a toggle switch for HDR to be set automatically or not.

Here's one video I found demonstrating some of the new HDR settings in Windows 11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBEDaMSiZpo

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I bought a couple actual arcade cabinet DDR pads this last weekend like the insane nerd that I am. Now I need to figure out a setup for the non-pad bits.

I'm planning on getting some rando budget TV, but of course DDR demands at least halfway decent speakers, at least better than what TV's come with. I'm planning on using one of those rolling TV stands to hold the TV so it can be moved around, but I don't know how to handle speakers in that framework. Obviously ideally I'd hang them off of the TV itself or have them mounted onto the stand somehow, but I have no clue if that's a thing. Is that a thing?

edit: it looks like there are soundbar mounts that work with the VESA holes on the back of the TV, but I have no idea if I can do that at the same time as having the TV mounted on a stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG 55" C1+$100 Visa gift card $1,497 - also the 65" for $1797 with a $50 GC.