Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean I guess it's true to real-life that the police are so incompetent that they send a patrol car out somewhere to investigate a disappearance, they don't come back, and then it takes seven months before anybody does anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I mean I guess it's true to real-life that the police are so incompetent that they send a patrol car out somewhere to investigate a disappearance, they don't come back, and then it takes seven months before anybody does anything about it.

Texas police also let the Sawyer family collect what looked like ~30,000 bodies and skeletons in TCM2.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I like Sleepaway Camp 2 more than the original. It's not as interesting as the original, but less skeevey and can't really roll with the twist because of personal life stuff. Sleepaway Camp 2 is just fun.

All the Purge movies are better than the unnecessary original.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm just going to say this but I don't like it:

You can skip Mad Max and go right to the Road Warrior.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

moths posted:

I'm just going to say this but I don't like it:

You can skip Mad Max and go right to the Road Warrior.

it's the god's honest truth. hell, i think we can safely say at this point that Fury Road was a whole lot of people's first Mad Max movie. probably a lot of people's only Mad Max movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Shameful to skip Mad Max

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Shameful to skip Mad Max

I dunno... I finally watched the original for the first time a few years ago, and I was struck both by how little it looked or functioned like the sequels and how dull it was in comparison. I think it's perfectly fine to jump right to The Road Warrior instead.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Class3KillStorm posted:

I dunno... I finally watched the original for the first time a few years ago, and I was struck both by how little it looked or functioned like the sequels and how dull it was in comparison. I think it's perfectly fine to jump right to The Road Warrior instead.

But you wouldn't have this experience if you had seen it first. There is a natural escalation that occurs with all of them.

I watched them all chronologically growing up, and there's a lot of moments in the original that still stand out as impressive/disturbing and iconic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mad Max is an awesome movie and one of the few “upcoming apocalypse” movies out there. I can’t think of many that deal with the slow collapse of it all.

Idk it’s good if you tamper your expectations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Mad Max is an awesome movie and one of the few “upcoming apocalypse” movies out there. I can’t think of many that deal with the slow collapse of it all.

Yeah. It's an awesome "Society is Collapsing, The Bad Guys Have Already Won" vibe that's palpable but not direct. I grabbed the new 4k UHD recently but still haven't watched it yet. Might get it in before October, or it'll have to wait until after.

Toe Cutter is an awesome villain. He's the most human of the Mad Max villains, and that makes his brand of anarchic evil just really mundane and horrific.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm meeting Michael Berryman tomorrow at a drive in theater that's showing The Hills Have Eyes :neckbeard:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

feedmyleg posted:

What are some horror sequels that:

1) Don't require you to have seen the first movie, and
2) Are better than the first movie

?

Maniac Cop 2

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Toecutter, Johnny the Boy, and Bubba Zanetti are better villains than most of the others and we also get that incredible police chief

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Texas Chainsaw 2 is a perfect example honestly

its so tonally out of synch with the original and the entire story is bugnuts that you could easily watch it first

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
More than anything else, OG Mad Max lacks the modern action movie pacing of the later films. It's more atmospheric.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Silent Night Deadly Night 2 is 50% clips from the first movie but introduces one of the greatest horror performances ever yes I’m serious

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 23, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mad Max is a fantastic film, but it's also a lot more subtle. I didn't appreciate it until I was an adult. It's a more mature film. In a lot of ways, it makes a better prequel to Road Warrior.

Road Warrior is just pants on fire awesome with car chases and the humungous and the feral child. It's also a smaller film, more of a western without the implicit racism. It's so over the top and absurd.

I honestly couldn't say which is a better movie, but Road Warrior is easily more accessible. Other films do what Mad Max does, but Road Warrior is uniquely gonzo.

Not horror, but you can also skip Star Trek the Motion Picture.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah skipping Mad Max is a bad choice if you absolutely must skip one of the series when the back half of Thunderdome exists.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Tampering with expectations is a dangerous game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
While you can watch Mad Max movies without the original, I feel like it’s important to have the context that when you’re seeing these insane post-apocalyptic civilizations, they didn’t grow after centuries like in Fallout. Something that resembles our world existed in living memory to all of this. And I feel like that makes it all very hilarious.

People who enjoy Mad Max’s slow upcoming apocalypse should read Children’s Bible. It’s the most realistic depiction of the end of the world where you don’t even realize the world is ending until well into the novel.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mad Max is just a slight exaggeration of the situation during the Oil Crisis of 1973.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

People who enjoy Mad Max’s slow upcoming apocalypse should read Children’s Bible. It’s the most realistic depiction of the end of the world where you don’t even realize the world is ending until well into the novel.

I'm gonna need an author or something because that is the single most unsearchable title.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't, but here's the top 200+ on Amazon Prime US, via Average Ratings on Letterboxd.

3 of the top 16 horror movies on Prime are Gamera? is really neat. He is made of turtle meat.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm gonna need an author or something because that is the single most unsearchable title.

I’m assuming they mean A Children's Bible by Lydia Millet, I haven’t read it myself yet but it’s been on my list for a while

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I'm trying to remember a short film I once saw, where a guy was stuck in some kind of a storm drain in a city as a storm hits and water begins to pour into the drain.

Does that ring a bell for anyone, or did I make that up?

Anyway haven't posted in a million years, just hit the 600 mark on the list of horror movies I've watched over the last 20 years or so.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AKZ posted:

Tampering with expectations is a dangerous game.

In my opinion having any is a dangerous game. I flat out just don’t care for anyone’s opinion that starts with “I expected…” “I was hoping” ect

Or people that hate a film because of the film they made up in their mind through word of mouth or trailers or whatever. Personal thing that annoys me…

Idk. I guess it comes from hearing critics say that. It’s annoying lol. Never gave it a fair chance

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Lydia Millet. To be clear, it's a different tone than Mad Max as it's about a bunch of privileged teens, but I like it a lot.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

CelticPredator posted:

In my opinion having any is a dangerous game. I flat out just don’t care for anyone’s opinion that starts with “I expected…” “I was hoping” ect

Or people that hate a film because of the film they made up in their mind through word of mouth or trailers or whatever. Personal thing that annoys me…

Idk. I guess it comes from hearing critics say that. It’s annoying lol. Never gave it a fair chance

I agree but also say the one exception is that film with Nicolas Cage fighting evil fast food mascots.

I expected him to say some cool lines.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

While you can watch Mad Max movies without the original, I feel like it’s important to have the context that when you’re seeing these insane post-apocalyptic civilizations, they didn’t grow after centuries like in Fallout. Something that resembles our world existed in living memory to all of this. And I feel like that makes it all very hilarious.

Mad Max is the only one of the movies that is based on events that were true within their world. All the others are myths told around campfires. That's why Max can be roughly the same age as Furiosa, even though he's supposed to have been a grown man with a family before the Collapse and she was born well after it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Turns out House II: The Second Story isn't just a great title, it's a damned fine movie too

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I'm having a bit of fun

tamper vs temper :ghost:

I do agree with the sentiment

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, why is Spookies so good? It's like Spirit Halloween: The Motion Picture, or the movie equivalent of a haunted sound effects tape. Love it so much

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

Ok, why is Spookies so good? It's like Spirit Halloween: The Motion Picture, or the movie equivalent of a haunted sound effects tape. Love it so much

It’s great because it’s a trainwreck sort of movie but also fun to watch because it’s constant puppets and monsters and gags. Perfect Halloween movie.

I see it as the equivalent of a bad haunted house theme park ride. Like the kind where the animatronics barely work and it’s operated by a drunk carnie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo, the ending of the new Creepshow episode with the giant queen bee animatronic and Aliens-esque honey beehive monster feeding is the coolest thing I've seen on screen in a long long time :stare:

The other segment's ending was also fantastic. Both got off to a slow start but finished strong. I've got a very good feeling about this season.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AKZ posted:

I'm having a bit of fun

tamper vs temper :ghost:

I do agree with the sentiment

Yeah sorry I wasn’t tryin to come at you specifically. Idk it’s a thing that annoys me bc a lot of people including me have loathed stuff because of my expectation, including formerly mentioned mad max which I thought was lame the first time I saw it.

Rewatched it a bit later and I was like yo this is cool

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo, the ending of the new Creepshow episode with the giant queen bee animatronic and Aliens-esque honey beehive monster feeding is the coolest thing I've seen on screen in a long long time :stare:

The other segment's ending was also fantastic. Both got off to a slow start but finished strong. I've got a very good feeling about this season.

The monster actually gave me The Thing vibes

I love that they are using practical effects, and they look really good!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

The monster actually gave me The Thing vibes

I love that they are using practical effects, and they look really good!

Yeah, the transformation for sure. But the girl being stuck to the honeycomb and used for food reminded me of Aliens, or even the Alien cocoon deleted scene.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Turns out House II: The Second Story isn't just a great title, it's a damned fine movie too

It’s definitely the best thing Bill Maher ever did at least

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ambitious Spider posted:

Spookies is one of my top favorite movies. Even the behind the scenes story's fascinating. https://thedissolve.com/features/oral-history/788-the-strange-saga-of-spookies/

I still would like to've seen the Twisted Souls version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Mad Max chat:

Apparently, in Australia at the time, they would send some reporter out to cover all the major car accidents, and apparently they were pretty gruesome. The character came about when George Miller thought what would happen if he had been sent out to cover the accident that killed his family.

Of course when you realize that the opening of Mad Max makes a whole ton of sense. Also if you skip Mad Max, you skip the opening which is just flat amazing.