Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

mcbexx posted:

Did you forget the final scene at the swimming pool?
The out of focus person walking up to the kid?

Oh,oh, wait I didn't finish the movie :sweatdrop:. The yellow filter annoyed me greatly and stopped watching but because of more personal reasons (my country is always given sepia/yellow filters just to convey how "hot" and how much of a "desert" it is. And it irks me because it's loving stereotypical). Then I forgot about it and never picked it up again.

:sweatdrop: I mean, it took me a whole year to remember to finish watching The Witcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cattail Prophet posted:

Although I don't remember if it was ever established exactly how long she'd been stuck with Ego in the main MCU.

Mantis says Ego raised her from a larva.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Episode was great. I think this is my favorite so far, with Dr. Strange right after. At the start when Frigga says goodbye, I was like "oh, it's a teenager ruins the house while the parents are gone story. nice." It was outright stated by Darcy later, but was still great.

Also, Drax should not have been talking about party pooping, as his species is entirely literal. Furthermore,

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hoping Mantis shows up in Hawkeye and they get real comic-booky with it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm all for letting Hemsworth ham it up, he's wonderful and who cares anyway, Marvel is silly comics stuff, right?

Until we get to the OBVIOUS SPLENDOR OF VON DOOM, of course, at which point it is all srz bznz :colbert:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/uzuriartonline/status/1441182341435695104?s=20

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

live with fruit posted:

There's still a good amount of comedy in the earlier Thor movies, especially the first one, it's just mostly tied up in Jane, Darcy and Selvig. But there was still all the fish out of water scenes with Thor where he's smashing mugs and whatnot.

Apparently the mug smashing scene was improved by Hemsworth. Portman and Denning’s reaction was real.

He was always a funny guy, Ragnarok just let him show that off.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

That looks cool but it also looks more like Brad Pitt than Chris Hemsworth - at least to me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, so do I.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Party Thor's jawline/chin is a bit different from Hemsworth's anyway.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I want live action Thor with flowy hair~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Party Thor's jawline/chin is a bit different from Hemsworth's anyway.

Thor from the Fury's episode looked more like Chris, Party Thor was a bit more cartoony but I had no problem with it! It fit the mood of the episode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Desperado Bones posted:

Party Thor was a bit more cartoony but I had no problem with it! It fit the mood of the episode.

Yeah it was a good change, made him look more like a doofus cartoon prince.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah that felt like a waste of 20 minutes to me.

It's me. I'm the party poopah.

Though the end with Marvel vs Capcom 4 Infinity Armor Ulto-Vision was nice.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

live with fruit posted:

There's still a good amount of comedy in the earlier Thor movies, especially the first one, it's just mostly tied up in Jane, Darcy and Selvig. But there was still all the fish out of water scenes with Thor where he's smashing mugs and whatnot.

I always loved it when he gently places his hammer on the coat hook

Which apparently was also an improv thing by Hemsworth lol

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Watched the latest What If...? and my main question throughout most of it, that I THOUGHT they were hinting at answering, was why was everyone partying?

I get Thor et al. partying. Their big, dumb Asgardians, and I can easily see that Odin was able to have better peace in the Nine Realms by giving baby Loki back to the Frost Giants, so Thor, The Warriors Three, etc... are more into the "drunken revelry" part of Asgard than the "war mongering" part. Sure, fine.

But why was seemingly almost everyone he came into contact with so up for partying, too?

With the lines about the last planet he partied at getting destroyed, and how the "party" atmosphere was spreading across the globe, I fully expected Thor to admit he was using magic to MAKE people party, but with disastrous side effects. And, with no Loki around, it's even conceivable that Frigga taught him the magic she had previously taught to Loki, AND why Thor was even more afraid of her, since she would want him to use magic responsibly. But he used it for partying.

Also, the first thing I thought of after the ep. aired:

Do you not have that one friend who cajoles you into partying harder and longer than you'd intended due to their raw party energy, and whose parties seem to get bigger and bigger and ultimately out of control? Dude just throws a great party.

Also most of the partying is done by extraterrestrials. So it''s that more people are turning up to a great party. There are plenty of people you see not partying, like the members of SHIELD.

Anyway that was a fun and stupid episode and I've so far preferred the fun and stupid to the Dr Strange/Captain Carter self-serious side. I feel like when MCU gives its characters space to breathe, and isn't just about giving dumb nerds another serving of dumb nerd canon to add to the manifold wiki pages, you remember that there are actually talented writers at the helm who can tell creative and reflective stories, and actors that can give compelling performances. Like those episodes in Loki (or Loki's whole big final monologue) that didn't necessarily move the overall machinery of the MCU forwards but made for interesting and thoughtful TV.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 24, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Party Boat posted:

It's still good advice although you might need to adjust for inflation

I don’t know, you could get Hades last year for $20, that’s all you really need.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I liked the explicit reveal that if Odin just hadn't stolen a child then the result is that everyone would have been much happier and in healthy relationships with each other.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's a clear thoroughline in the Thor-movies that anything good happens in-spite of Odin rather than because of him. He's just the worst father and/or ruler ever.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah before presenting himself as a wise and venerable ruler he was going around with hela doing just a tad of pillaging and conquering

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah before presenting himself as a wise and venerable ruler he was going around with hela doing just a tad of pillaging and conquering

and genociding

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Alchenar posted:

I liked the explicit reveal that if Odin just hadn't stolen a child then the result is that everyone would have been much happier and in healthy relationships with each other.

I am curious about the size discrepancy between normal Loki and this Loki. Did Odin just gently caress up and assume Loki was a runt in the normal timeline or was this Loki big enough as a baby that Odin thought it would be a good gesture of peace instead of saving a baby he assumed was left to die.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Loki just would have naturally become a giant like all of his family and friends, but because he was raised to believe he was a pink little scarecrow, his magic reflects that. It’s like a magic version of The Matrix, Loki’s “base” is however he sees himself.

I know we’ll never get to see Frost Giant Hiddleston on the big screen loving poo poo up, but holy poo poo I want it more than anything. Loki//Hulk rematch when!!!??

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This latest episode was so dumb.

I loved it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I am curious about the size discrepancy between normal Loki and this Loki. Did Odin just gently caress up and assume Loki was a runt in the normal timeline or was this Loki big enough as a baby that Odin thought it would be a good gesture of peace instead of saving a baby he assumed was left to die.

Turns out Asgardian food stunts your growth something fierce.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Watched the latest What If...? and my main question throughout most of it, that I THOUGHT they were hinting at answering, was why was everyone partying?

But why was seemingly almost everyone he came into contact with so up for partying, too?

I take it you've never been to college

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CornHolio posted:

I take it you've never been to college

It's easier than that. If a Norse god suddenly showed up and said it's time to party, you party. We've all seen the technoviking youtube vid from a while back.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This latest episode was so dumb.

I loved it.

This episode is like the Platonic Ideal of a What If? Stupid, fun and even the watcher saying WTF?!?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

While I like the art style of What If, everyone's lips remain extremely distracting and off-putting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Growing up watching loving horrorshows like this, I will never complain about mouths in modern animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQI_XjoSSY&t=105s

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cattail Prophet posted:

There was a Mantis cameo that definitely felt a little weird imo.

Ego being destroyed by a Thor party is definitely in the realm of possibility.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Growing up watching loving horrorshows like this, I will never complain about mouths in modern animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQI_XjoSSY&t=105s

There has to be a middle ground between What If...?'s big distracting lips and those.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gavok posted:

Ego being destroyed by a Thor party is definitely in the realm of possibility.

I don't care if you're a planet, you're not beating a Norse god at a drinking contest.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

8one6 posted:

I don't care if you're a planet, you're not beating a Norse god at a drinking contest.

Uhhhhh...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think that Thor is just projecting an electro-magnetic “good vibes” field which causes people to chill out, relax, loosen up… it’s just that when this field reaches a high enough frequency, you end up with pilots and surgeons and fire fighters and nuclear engineers just crushing up pills and phoning it in and tying one on or just not even showing up and by the end of the month you’re probably looking at multiple full scale global catastrophes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ya'll act like you never been to a party that just spread for days and houses like an infection until it left destruction and devastation in its wake.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

At the end of the episode, it sure did take a long time for Frigga to rainbow road her way to Earth, didn't it?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Vandar posted:

At the end of the episode, it sure did take a long time for Frigga to rainbow road her way to Earth, didn't it?

About exactly as long as it took for Ferris Bueller's parents to drive down their street to their house.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AJA posted:

About exactly as long as it took for Ferris Bueller's parents to drive down their street to their house.

Or Wyatt's parents. I felt the party and Frigga showing up at the end had more of a Weird Science vibe

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Extraction was an international sensation, it did very well

The funny thing about Extraction, at least as a franchise for Hemsworth, is how serious it is. It seemed like he had found his niche as a funny action guy and then went and hitched his wagon to something that makes Thor: The Dark World look like a laugh riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

The funny thing about Extraction, at least as a franchise for Hemsworth, is how serious it is. It seemed like he had found his niche as a funny action guy and then went and hitched his wagon to something that makes Thor: The Dark World look like a laugh riot.

I don't know about "franchise." He's doing a sequel, but he's still played Thor way more often. Maybe he just wants to do different stuff. I'm cool with that. Hell I thought he did a good job in his one villain role as a nasty cult leader in Bad Times at the El Royale.