Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bold Robot posted:

There isn't any real downside to disinheriting other than the renown cost. It's really powerful.

Tbf, the renown cost can be pretty rough earlygame. Also you run the risk of your "perfect" heir dying from something random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Yeah, it's so powerful I've been avoiding it because it seems like it has to have some major malus.

It’s makes the disinherited not like you as much and makes renown perks harder to get I guess

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Broken Cog posted:

Tbf, the renown cost can be pretty rough earlygame. Also you run the risk of your "perfect" heir dying from something random.

Totally. Disinheriting is really powerful but I think it's decently balanced for the reasons you pointed out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Well, you can always disdisinherit

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I apparently misunderstood what causes you to game over and what lets you keep playing, because I surrendered to a faction to put my half-sister on the throne right after dying as the father figuring I'd just switch to her. Turns out that no, it's game over. Overall I think I'm having a tougher time of things in this than CK2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Male-only title rather than male-preference?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

zoux posted:

Male-only title rather than male-preference?

Ireland, so should have been male-preference. Plus, would the faction have been able to be created at all with her as the one to take over if that was the law?

I already deleted the save, but I believe the "choose a character to continue as" had her heading the petty kingdom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seeing as she's your half sister, you're sure she was part of your dynasty?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
It's certainly possible she wasn't, and I can't check now, but as far as I remember the wives I took didn't have any pre-existing children, and didn't have enough time after the father's death to remarry.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Red Minjo posted:

I apparently misunderstood what causes you to game over and what lets you keep playing, because I surrendered to a faction to put my half-sister on the throne right after dying as the father figuring I'd just switch to her. Turns out that no, it's game over. Overall I think I'm having a tougher time of things in this than CK2.

I'm pretty sure if your character gets unlanded for any reason, you get a game over, even if there are fellow dynasts landed out there in the world.

As Folques d'Anjou in the 1066 start it's real easy to get unlanded if the Duke of Champagne comes knocking, and even though your heir is your landed brother, you still lose.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Red Minjo posted:

IIRC a claimant faction war takes every title they have a claim on. So you probably game-overed due to being unlanded.

In general, warfare doesn't cause a succession like that. Like if I lose my titles to someone of the same dynasty I don't suddenly play as them, I have to find a way for them to be my dynastic heir to play as them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You should always be able to manually swap to any given character in the world at will in the game menu?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not in Ironman

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

M_Gargantua posted:

You should always be able to manually swap to any given character in the world at will in the game menu?

SMH not playing ironman

(Kinda wish more mods could work with it tbh, especially since a heap are QoL but disable cheevos)

Actually, I wish that a game over would let you continue playing in an Ironman game, just setting it to a non-ironman from that point

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

scaterry posted:

In other news, there's a dev diary today: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-74-please-kaiser-can-i-have-some-more.1491791/

Not too fussed about this one. I will find it funny if "The Stumbler" overrides your current nickname

More ways for vassals and lieges to interact in a way that isn't seduction or hooks/demands seems reasonable, and can involve councilors too. Definitely feels like they're trying to play up the "medieval court" sim in a way that CK2 didn't really touch on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Magil Zeal posted:

More ways for vassals and lieges to interact in a way that isn't seduction or hooks/demands seems reasonable, and can involve councilors too. Definitely feels like they're trying to play up the "medieval court" sim in a way that CK2 didn't really touch on.

Thats exactly my thing

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
I've got an unexpected problem, and I thought I'd ask for advice. I'm playing the Premyslids, and I won the first crusade, putting one of my cousins on the throne. What didn't occur to me at the time was that said cousin would eventually inherit Bohemia due to seniority. Under other circumstances I might not mind so much, but I really don't want to get entangled in the Middle East this game. Besides, I liked having another king in the family.

What can I do here? The new king could give away his title to his son, but that seems wrong somehow. Not to mention he's done a good job building up the country--he even took Cairo and Fayyum, and all his vassals are terrified of his 100 dread (Seriously man, what have you been doing?). It wouldn't make much sense for him to give all that up and go back to Bohemia, but I don't see another choice. Plus, the son would eventually also inherit Bohemia, and I'd have to do this dance all over again. Did I mention Jerusalem is also seniority? Jerusalem is also seniority.

I suppose I could give the title to a non-family member, but that feels wrong too. I should have considered all this when I joined the crusade, I guess. Any thoughts?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

jwalrus posted:

I've got an unexpected problem, and I thought I'd ask for advice. I'm playing the Premyslids, and I won the first crusade, putting one of my cousins on the throne. What didn't occur to me at the time was that said cousin would eventually inherit Bohemia due to seniority. Under other circumstances I might not mind so much, but I really don't want to get entangled in the Middle East this game. Besides, I liked having another king in the family.

What can I do here? The new king could give away his title to his son, but that seems wrong somehow. Not to mention he's done a good job building up the country--he even took Cairo and Fayyum, and all his vassals are terrified of his 100 dread (Seriously man, what have you been doing?). It wouldn't make much sense for him to give all that up and go back to Bohemia, but I don't see another choice. Plus, the son would eventually also inherit Bohemia, and I'd have to do this dance all over again. Did I mention Jerusalem is also seniority? Jerusalem is also seniority.

I suppose I could give the title to a non-family member, but that feels wrong too. I should have considered all this when I joined the crusade, I guess. Any thoughts?

Are you playing Ironman? Can you give Bohemia to the son and load up as the son?

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Are you playing Ironman? Can you give Bohemia to the son and load up as the son?

I'm in ironman mode. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Can you disinherit him perhaps?

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Masonity posted:

Can you disinherit him perhaps?

Would that prevent his descendants from inheriting Bohemia again? That's the problem here; every solution I come up with just puts me back to square one. I separate the titles, and eventually they come together again.

But I had a thought: Does high crown authority prevent people outside the realm from inheriting? I wonder if that would work; set Bohemia to high authority and then give the crown to his son. I noticed Jerusalem is already high authority, and wondered if that would have any effect.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Wouldn't it only cause titles to leave your realm?

How close to primo or ultimo are you, if you focus them? Maybe that's the solution. Rush primo and make sure Jerusalem goes to a fairly distant dynasty member so it's unlikely the two will ever come back together?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

jwalrus posted:

I'm in ironman mode. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

Well, have fun playing Jerusalem, it is the will of God. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

jwalrus posted:

Would that prevent his descendants from inheriting Bohemia again? That's the problem here; every solution I come up with just puts me back to square one. I separate the titles, and eventually they come together again.

But I had a thought: Does high crown authority prevent people outside the realm from inheriting? I wonder if that would work; set Bohemia to high authority and then give the crown to his son. I noticed Jerusalem is already high authority, and wondered if that would have any effect.

You could go absolute CA and designate heir. That would ensure your titles pass downwards rather than laterally

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shook off them haters again fellas

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

zoux posted:

ah yes, nothing more stress-relieving than executing a bunch of '''rivals''' you have locked up in your dungeon

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

zoux posted:

You know, having met 12 year olds, I can sympathize with declaring them your rivals

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

scaterry posted:

ah yes, nothing more stress-relieving than executing a bunch of '''rivals''' you have locked up in your dungeon

I have no idea where he came from, I'd never seen him before, because I am the 54 year old potentate of unarguably the strongest nation on the face of the earth and he is a 12 year old boy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

People you have imprisoned tend to get events that cause them to consider you a rival. Since a rivalry is always a two way street that means that suddenly you consider them a rival too. So you probably got him from a siege or something as a kid and just forgot about him since no one would pay for him.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think characters might become your rivals when you steal their land in a war

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Hellioning posted:

People you have imprisoned tend to get events that cause them to consider you a rival. Since a rivalry is always a two way street that means that suddenly you consider them a rival too. So you probably got him from a siege or something as a kid and just forgot about him since no one would pay for him.

Pretty much this. The majority of rivals you make are people you forgot about in prison. It's notably quite difficult to become rivals with someone outside your realm.

Elias_Maluco posted:

You would think so, but winning a conquest war doesn't give rival progress or anything, just the opinion loss from declaring war

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah they should really make it such that to become rivals like that you have to be of approximately equal rank, or at least landed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think if you're a dick to people at feasts you get more chances to be rivals. Also if you execute their family probably, I think I've gotten that option.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Hellioning posted:

Was playing a William the Conqueror game. 8 years into his reign, I say gently caress it why not when a tiny count level ally in Central Europe asks for help in a war. I send men at arms only to go deal with it, have a large army sprung on me, get captured, and waste away in his dungeon for four years before going insane of dying of a seizure. He wouldn’t ransom me because the war was ongoing, and I had an internal war to deal with.

But. But as soon as that was put down….my next king rolled in with armies and mercs I spent money on just to prove a point and I killed every goddamn captive I could grab. In a stroke of good luck, the dude had converted to something before I got there so every execution was above board and blessed.

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 24, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Trevor Hale posted:

Was playing a William the Conqueror game. 8 years into his reign, I say gently caress it why not when a tiny count level ally in Central Europe asks for help in a war. I send men at arms only to go deal with it, have a large army sprung on me, get captured, and waste away in his du vein for four years before going insane of dying of a seizure. He wouldn’t ransom me because the war was ongoing, and I had an internal war to deal with.

But. But as soon as that was put down….my next king rolled in with army’s and mercs I spent money on just to prove a point and I killed every goddamn captive I could grab. In a stroke of good luck, the dude had converted to something before I got there so every execution was above board and blessed.

gently caress yeah. Love a good vengeance play!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Revoking titles twice is a guaranteed way to get a rival if you need one, just like offering to join a war twice is guaranteed friend.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah they should really make it such that to become rivals like that you have to be of approximately equal rank, or at least landed.

Yeah rivalry system could definitely use some work. Randomly finding out some baron halfway around the world was my rival when they died is a very 'huh, well ok' moment.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Trip report: My problem has solved itself--sort of. I handed off Jerusalem to the king's son, and he shortly thereafter created a cadet branch. Since then, I am no longer in the line of succession for his titles. Seems that seniority in a cadet branch restricts itself to that branch. His sons and daughters are all in the line of succession, but not anyone else. TIL.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothBear posted:

Yeah rivalry system could definitely use some work. Randomly finding out some baron halfway around the world was my rival when they died is a very 'huh, well ok' moment.

I feel like a simple fix would just be to make hatred one-way - if two characters hate each other, then the game flags them as rivals and gives all the appropriate events. But if only one character hates the other, the one that doesn't care won't get rivalry events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I think it makes perfect sense if rivalry is one-sided, the rivalry flag could be hidden or something. The other side could even get some stress-relieving laughs from some nobody hating them or could become rival later due to some actions of someone who sees them as a rival.