Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

90s? Supernatural tried the same thing a few years back where Sam and Dean were in it for all of 5 minutes.

They did it a second time with the home of orphaned girls and some dimension jumping action hero. But they were working with already existing recurring characters and they worked the dimension jumper in across multiple episodes and the main story arc. There was still this kind of awkward backdoor pilot episode complete with a series starting point/cliffhanger that never gets resolved but its nothing like Bloodlines which might as well have had Sam and Dean introduce the episode.

And of course there were the Ghostfacers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Foundation starts tomorrow on Apple+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4QYV5GTz7c

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980051

Threw together a quick and dirty thread as I'm definitely going to be checking it out.

Edward Mass posted:

It looks like [adult swim] is losing the 8PM Eastern hour to regular Cartoon Network.

This is one of those things that just kind of comes and goes. Every like 5 years or so they trade off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Apple TV, they announced that David Oyelowo and Rashida Jones are joining the cast of the Wool adaptation. Oyelowo is playing Sheriff Holston and Jones is playing his wife, Allison.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Jared Harris is in it, I'm watching it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress yes. Excited about Wool.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Nintendo announced a big budget animated Mario movie coming out December 2022 with Chris Pratt voicing Mario and Anya Taylor Joy as Peach.This is just bizarre. Also Jack Black is Bowser and Charlie Day is Luigi.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek Sebastian Maniscalco

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

So Nintendo announced a big budget animated Mario movie coming out December 2022 with Chris Pratt voicing Mario and Anya Taylor Joy as Peach.This is just bizarre. Also Jack Black is Bowser and Charlie Day is Luigi.

Its going to be less bizarre than the Dennis Hopper 90's movie

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Whats this about elvira

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whats this about elvira

Elvira(Cassandra Peterson) put out a book recently that included the fact that she's been partners with a woman for the last ~19 years. So now an implicit gay icon is now an explicit one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

GreenNight posted:

Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek Sebastian Maniscalco

Charlie Day would be better as Toad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Danny DeVito as toad

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you wanna race the rainbow road
You gotta take the Toad load

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
We already know who's got the appropriate physical feature to play Toad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Early reviews for Foundation are glowing. I am excited.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm watching Clickbait on Netflix and what is with the acting of the detectives? I thought maybe it was the dude's accent but there's just something off with the performances of all the cops

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/KevinTPorter/status/1441178369534554116?s=20

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Mu Zeta posted:

So... what, was Charles Martinet somehow not available, or something? Because having Mario be voiced by someone other than the guy who's been voicing Mario for the past, what, 20, 25 years? That seems like a strange choice, to me.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 24, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nah.

Nah.

You made some poor and bizarre choices, my dude.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chris Pratt is a weird choice for Mario but at least maybe the movie won't be two hours of a dumb stereotypical Italian accent then like he has in the games. I'm always happy he doesn't talk much in the games with that dumb accent. I see no problems with any of the other choices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Argus Zant posted:

That seems like a strange choice, to me.

Really? Casting a star to headline a big budget Hollywood movie seems like a strange choice to you?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Steve buscemi was right there being perfect for the role

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

Really? Casting a star to headline a big budget Hollywood movie seems like a strange choice to you?

When the movie is about an extremely fake-Italian plumber, yes. You could plug any of those cast members into any other role in the film and it wouldn’t matter one bit because they’re just there for name recognition. The whole list reads like a loving Robot Chicken or Family Guy bit.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

bull3964 posted:

It seems strange to not cast the guy who's already been doing the role for the better part of 2 decades, yes.

I also think it's strange because I don't think Pratt is very good in leading roles (and I certainly don't have any faith in his being able to VA a leading role), but that's subjective.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I kind of don't want Mario to talk at all. The same way seeing Legos talking weirds me out. But Pratt was fine in his Lego movies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sekhmnet posted:

Elvira(Cassandra Peterson) put out a book recently that included the fact that she's been partners with a woman for the last ~19 years. So now an implicit gay icon is now an explicit one.

The best tweet I saw about it was something like "Great for her, but we should trust the nuclear launch codes to her girlfriend because she managed to avoid telling everyone in the world Elvira was her girlfriend for 19 years, she can keep any secret"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Edward Mass posted:

It looks like [adult swim] is losing the 8PM Eastern hour to regular Cartoon Network.
No point in keeping it without endless family guy reruns

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still think it's hilarious that anyone is incredulous over a big movie studio hoping to launch a tentpole movie franchise for not casting a relatively unknown voice actor in the main role. With respect to his long standing work on the various games, it's still only a handful of phrases and uttered gibberish and he's had virtually no other acting credits.

I'm not saying Pratt is the best choice ever, but it was never not going to be a headline star for a project like this.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The whole movie better just be an adaptation of Platform.
:colbert::ussr:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah.

Nah.

You made some poor and bizarre choices, my dude.

Pretty sure the guy in the Tweet isn't actually responsible for this, and is just being drily sarcastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I hate that episode so much.

It was a bad episode on its own but it also was slotted in right as everything really got going and it just killed so much of the momentum of the final episodes for a bit. It was this absolutely baffling misstep in an otherwise really good season of TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Watched the first episode of Foundation (unfortunately I'm out of time and can't watch episode 2 for another week even though it's up.)

Really drew me in. That was a masterclass of world building in just 70 minutes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Didn't Chris Pratt get semi-cancelled?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Nah, not remotely.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Argus Zant posted:

It seems strange to not cast the guy who's already been doing the role for the better part of 2 decades, yes.

I also think it's strange because I don't think Pratt is very good in leading roles (and I certainly don't have any faith in his being able to VA a leading role), but that's subjective.

I agree that Pratt isn't a very good leading man, but he's the lead VA in The Lego Movie's and he is legit good in those.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So Mario is going to be the Lego movie main character

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

No, not really, but he's a loving weirdo and a member of a notorious church that is basically a cult so it's kind of a Tom Cruise situation I suppose.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hakkesshu posted:

No, not really, but he's a loving weirdo and a member of a notorious church that is basically a cult so it's kind of a Tom Cruise situation I suppose.

Tom Cruise is a better actor and does his own stunts, so point goes to Cruise.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Outside of his conservative Christian stuff coming to light, there's also the fact that he divorced Anna Faris and then almost immediately married Arnie's daughter, which I think rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and seemed a bit craven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

Tom Cruise is a better actor and does his own stunts, so point goes to Cruise.
Pratt: "ok but the church was really nice to me, a white popular millionaire, when I was going through a divorce so I know in their hearts they're not "homophobia" or whatever!"