Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

To have him unseen felt wrong and off, so I added his perspective

This is all but outright admitting that Snout doesn't give a gently caress about anyone else in the comic, even the characters that are supposedly his friends, because his perspective does not include them. He only cares about himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

TheHan posted:

lmao holy poo poo

What do ya even say.

I feel like pure landscapes could have been pleasant and even, if he were a better artist, exciting. A character being bored could even be good as well - maybe make a bunch of simple small panels of Snout being bored, chatting with the others, being bored again, and so on along the bottom of the page for each landscape page.

I realize this is an unfair comparison but Bill Watterson was really good at depicting Calvin being bored in fun and interesting ways, along with being an absolutely beautiful landscape artist with relatively simple designs. Mookie could have even called it an 'homage' to Calvin & Hobbes!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheHan posted:

lmao holy poo poo

quote:

. I constantly asked myself, “Is this too slow?” or “Am I ruining my story’s momentum?” or “Have I made a mistake doing this?”
What do ya even say.
The answers to those questions are "yes", "yes", and "yes".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Happy Landfill posted:

Haha, so what do I win?

Congratulations!

You can think like Mookie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zereth posted:

Mookie's only critic is himself, and he already answered no to all these.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Okay yeah, but the rest of the comic is boring as well.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Chapter 52: A Long Flight was boring on purpose, to simulate the tedium of real-world long trips.

Chapter 51: The Library Card was, uh....

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
"challenging myself as a comic creator"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

He stepped out of his comfort zone by making it poo poo on purpose instead of accidentally.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
God, it's always an "experiment" with him.

Wasn't Stonewater the "heroic" rapist an experiment also? Did he ever describe it like that or am I misremembering?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Yep. I don't remember the quote word for word, but he definitely said making a sexy rapist was an experiment for him because no one's done it before.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's just an admission of "I don't know what the gently caress I am doing" twisted into a form of self-assurance. "Is this section of the comic I am planning out going to be boring? It looks like it, so by following through with it anyway I am displaying boldness!" It's like an extension of his general philosophy towards passion vs expertise; much like he portrays a love for books as good but being actually well-read and studious as bad, he sees creative challenges as a dare rather than an intellectual exercise. It's about "do I dare challenge my limits by writing a boring scene?" and not about "do I challenge my limits by trying to figure out how to deliver a boring scene in a satisfying way?".

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

"I work full time as a comic creator and there is no way I could have planned it in advance so I didn't have weeks of boring low effort filler"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I remember way back this dummy was waxing poetic about his darn imposter syndrome making his comic making hard and I was just thinking you absolute buffoon you have to be a high achiever to have imposter syndrome you absolute fool wannabe humble bragger.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheHan posted:

lmao holy poo poo

What do ya even say.

I'd say there's a reason shaggy dog stories are hated.

Mors Rattus posted:

Still loving that at no point does Mookie or Snout ever think of the possibility of interacting with the people nearby who are theoretically his friends.

That's the thing about it, this was the perfect downtime in the plot to flesh out these characters. Instead we got pointless filler and he's proud of having made it. Pacing is all about moving from one story beat to the next, the only time you should show the downtime is when something important is about to happen or the characters are going to interact. Otherwise just skip to the next important thing or have a quick montage.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Looks like the real boredom was the friends we made along the way.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mx. posted:

"I work full time as a comic creator and there is no way I could have planned it in advance so I didn't have weeks of boring low effort filler"

Of course he can't plan it in advance, then it wouldn't be a surprise to him!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Mors Rattus posted:

Still loving that at no point does Mookie or Snout ever think of the possibility of interacting with the people nearby who are theoretically his friends.

I find it even funnier that originally Snout himself had been left out of this chapter, and even Mookie thought that was too lazy. So he copy pasted in some poses and called it a day. Way to go champ, nobody can say Mookie didn't try. Except Mookie, who told us in this very blog post that he didn't try.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's pretty telling that none of the characters or events or goals matter more than Snout's feelings moment to moment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Remember, Snout's defining characteristic is curiosity. He's always seeking new knowledge. That's why on an hours long ride, rather than picking the brains of the people who seem to know a lot of things, he chooses to pick his nose and whine about how boring it is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Remember, Snout's defining characteristic is curiosity. He's always seeking new knowledge. That's why on an hours long ride, rather than picking the brains of the people who seem to know a lot of things, he chooses to pick his nose and whine about how boring it is.
Or examine the terrain in a place he's never seen before.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Howard Beale posted:

Looks like the real boredom was the friends we made along the way.

Wow.

No wonder I hate you all and myself.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I know if I was a reclusive hermit who only interacted with the world through books because of my burning curiosity and desire to see and learn more, and was finally encouraged to go on a world-spanning adventure to discover a mystery no one apparently has the answer to, getting to literally FLY in a bizarre ship with magical wizards who hold mysterious secrets they've only hinted at, speeding across wild scenery I'd only imagined about in a book and from a perspective I'd never even thought possible, I'd get bored in 5 seconds and start playing with my toes and wondering when someone was going to cuddle naked with me again.

Like anyone ever drive over the causeway in Louisiana, like I've driven over bridges before but WOW the bridge is so long you can't see the other end! And I've driven over it a dozen times and I'm still impressed and psyched up by it every time! I've SEEN bridges and I've seen THIS bridge before and it was just as exciting on trip 6 as it was trip 1! This is Snout's first time seeing an expansive body of water in his LIFE and his reaction is to PLAY WITH HIS TOES LIKE A TODDLER.

Why is Snout THIS much of a soft babyman that he is literally an actual child????

Like I don't wish Mookie ill I wish him BETTER. I wish he was better at this. I wish after 20 years of this being his job he'd improved upon it at all. Like we've all done sophmoric creative works we should be and are ashamed of but they're critical learning steps in being a creative animal, Mookie we are all waiting on the other side of artistic adolescence it isn't a thing that happens with age you have to learn the secrets they aren't even that hard secrets buddy please you're on the level of 12 year old me's meandering fanfiction where each chapter was focused on what I was thinking about that given week Mookie please be better than 12 year old me I am pleading you I want to see you earn a fifth of your own ego please.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
i wouldnt consider 'curiosity' a defining character trait of mine but if i was riding in that ship i'd be asking about every part of the landscape I saw, and when they first visited/found out about this place, and any fun facts they knew about it? Its weird for a 'curious' person to act like this when faced with a new environment.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

A crucial problem is that curiosity assumes a world outside of the character. Snout can only be curious about things that exist, and since only what is on the page right now exists because object permanence is dead and the author has killed it, and the panel is always framed on Snout. There is nothing! There is only Snout!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zereth posted:

IMO:

1. If you have to ask...
2. What momentum?
3. The whole comic is actually the mistake

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Good thing nobody is injured from a high speed crash into waist high water.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Giant lake, waist high water at the point where the ship crashes, despite having visibly middle-of-the-lake waves in the crash sequence.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I cant wait for this character to have no backstory, personality, or influence on the non-existant plot

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Personally, I like how at a distance of about 5 meters the female characters have absolutely no facial features and the male characters have about 3 seconds worth of doodling for their faces.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Softface posted:

Personally, I like how at a distance of about 5 meters the female characters have absolutely no facial features and the male characters have about 3 seconds worth of doodling for their faces.

the ladies lost their faces in the crash

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

A crucial problem is that curiosity assumes a world outside of the character. Snout can only be curious about things that exist, and since only what is on the page right now exists because object permanence is dead and the author has killed it, and the panel is always framed on Snout. There is nothing! There is only Snout!

I'll keep leaning on the Neverending Story comparison because yes, this is the true form of the Nothing. The few times something has happened it's always collapsed into a non-event.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, at least Snout looks happy in that last panel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Swear we've seen that Snout 'two dots and a triangle' face before.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Swear we've seen that Snout 'two dots and a triangle' face before.

I have to say it is the one thing I find kinda charming about this comic, I am always kinda amused by his minimalistic face in these situations.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
The figure facing them looks like Snout from behind sans tail.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What the gently caress. It barely looked like they were crashing in the last page. It didn't look like they were crashing into water at all? Was that giant mess of texture brushes supposed to be a water splash??

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Stahlgeist posted:

The figure facing them looks like Snout from behind sans tail.

For a brief moment, I thought it would be. But that would mean some mystery or intrique, and that's not happening here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

FlocksOfMice posted:

What the gently caress. It barely looked like they were crashing in the last page. It didn't look like they were crashing into water at all? Was that giant mess of texture brushes supposed to be a water splash??

You know how bad editing and cinematography in a movie can make it feel like there is a discontinuity and poo poo just teleported around?

That's what this page feels like. I went back in the thread to see if I had skipped one because from the last one to this one it doesn't parse at all.
This would be genuinely infuriating in a book format.