Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goth smoking cloves posted:

This is good for bitcoin

now they have to hodl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hammerite posted:

(dr strangelove voice) china is allowing a buttcoin gap to open up!

the crack

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jin-ping

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i bet america goes way softer on crypto because of this, can't ban it or tax it that's what those drat communists have done

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he’ll yeah

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Well poo poo now I'm gonna have to move to Shenzhen and take fart up on that beer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Armitag3 posted:

Well poo poo now I'm gonna have to move to Shenzhen and take fart up on that beer

is your name hbag?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just kidding! the offer extends to all yosposters

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1441343293858611201 -3.47%, not great, not terrible

https://twitter.com/KoruKinshi/status/1441333239616970760 :roflolmao:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
sovcit yelling i do not consent to the cop who pulled him over only the sovcit is the bitcoin guy and the cop is the market

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
hear that bois

chinese money about to pump your real estate harder

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1441330221249032195?s=20

monopoly money printer go brrrrrrrr

actually that's not fair to monopoly money: it actually has some intrinsic value in that it can be used to sop up spills or burned for brief warmth

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can't even wipe rear end with buttcoins

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1441330221249032195?s=20

monopoly money printer go brrrrrrrr

actually that's not fair to monopoly money: it actually has some intrinsic value in that it can be used to sop up spills or burned for brief warmth

i think that message means that 12m shitcoins were destroyed, not created

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
did anyone ever really figure out what days destroyed meant?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
somewhere mullah @jack is buying a dip

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

@jack is a dip

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

blugu64 posted:

did anyone ever really figure out what days destroyed meant?

apparently 'burned' means a withdrawal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

(dr strangelove voice) china is allowing a buttcoin gap to open up!

dr. strangelove didn't say that, general turgidson did :argh:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
you can tell it's not the tether printer because it isn't a completely natural neat number with 8 trailing zeroes

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The_Franz posted:

apparently 'burned' means a withdrawal

I think it actually means tokens that were sent to irrecoverable addresses. A reminder that tether mints tokens on other blockchains, existing as a overlayer on top of other tokens. So to shrink supply, they have to effectively "burn" tether on one or another chain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol that Erik video is great

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

eat poo poo lmao

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
really wanna move back to China now

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
just buy an nft of living in china

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
have you guys ever seen those dumb 'adoptables' otherwise good artists do where you like, buy a character I guess? Even though I don't know that any kind of contract gets signed?

those feel like the NFT prototype

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

nah, those are basically buying a character design for whatever you need it for

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

world's second largest economy declares thing to be illegal and bans businesses from having anything to do with it -> thing drops ~4% in value.

K.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
China has seemingly been banning crypto in various ways every 6 months or so for several years. Each time has a bit of "but this time we're serious" energy to it, so its kinda hard to argue that today's announcement is actually much of a shift in policy. If crypto folks start disappearing for months at a time for "reeducation", you'll know they're actually serious.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shifty Pony posted:

world's second largest economy declares thing to be illegal and bans businesses from having anything to do with it -> thing drops ~4% in value.

K.

maybe that 4% was the entirety of the real money in the ecosystem :thunk:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

drk posted:

China has seemingly been banning crypto in various ways every 6 months or so for several years. Each time has a bit of "but this time we're serious" energy to it, so its kinda hard to argue that today's announcement is actually much of a shift in policy. If crypto folks start disappearing for months at a time for "reeducation", you'll know they're actually serious.

I dunno, you are right but the Pandemic high has given the party a lot of latitude to maneuver. If they actually let Evergrande hose all the foreign bond holders to save domestic clients I feel like a genuine, no fooling ban isn't beyond them. time will tell.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

KnifeWrench posted:

maybe that 4% was the entirety of the real money in the ecosystem :thunk:

lol sometimes I wonder that. No actual financials or tracking on money coming out of exchanges, not clear it even could. What does a bank run on coinbase look like, would they even let people exit?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
sure they would.

oh no our systems went offline all of a sudden!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

have you guys ever seen those dumb 'adoptables' otherwise good artists do where you like, buy a character I guess? Even though I don't know that any kind of contract gets signed?

those feel like the NFT prototype

it's only like an nft in the sense that nothing stops anyone else from copying the jpeg of the character and using it elsewhere

the biggest differences is that it involves actual money and the actual artist gets paid

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Shifty Pony posted:

K.

Second largest economy, sure. But here we're talking about percentage of the global credulous suckers supply..?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Desiderata posted:

Second largest economy, sure. But here we're talking about percentage of the global credulous suckers supply..?

USA #1!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
shot:

chaser:

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 25, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there should be a 500% tax on private education

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

power companies mining it and cutting out all the middlemen seems like a logical end state to this stupid arms race, and I hope there's a lot of whiny "b-b-but that's not fair!" bullshit from bitcoiners as bitcoin becomes centralized to the point of being controlled by literal utility companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

power companies mining it and cutting out all the middlemen seems like a logical end state to this stupid arms race, and I hope there's a lot of whiny "b-b-but that's not fair!" bullshit from bitcoiners as bitcoin becomes centralized to the point of being controlled by literal utility companies

looking forward to twitter being full of "lost life savings because transaction did not go through due to everyone turning on ac and power company diverting the capacity to serve the peak"

not that any of these transactions take place in the public blockchain anyway, it's more likely to be in the excel sheet of an exchange