Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Apple seems to be celebrating the arrival of Foundation and has released all of the shows that normally have new episodes on Friday early (I believe it’s 3 hours earlier than normal?)

This also specifically includes Foundation too so there that.

If you’re a person who avoids the internet with a passion until you can watch the episode yourself… well, you’ll need to start that now. (Or enjoy watching things early tonight!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I dont look forward to seeing what Nate turns into after whatever it was Rupert said to him. I really havent been enjoying them dragging out that plotline all season long.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
This latest episode of Ted Lasso made me feel sad and happy, and I normally don’t feel anything, so they must be doing something right.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Tedthoughts!
  • Dani Rojas having the same reaction to dress shoes as me was very cathartic. (Also Roy's views on death!)

• Trying to figure out if the whole team turning up for the funeral breaks the reality of the show? Or does it actually make sense?

• Ted talking about his father was a super compelling scene and I enjoyed the strange but fascinating weaving edit with Rebecca's scene.

• Curious if they're going to leave the characterisation of the suicide this vague, or go more in depth on it.

• HATE the sudden Keeley/Jamie love triangle thing.

• That goatee actually looks great on Rupert.

• Sassy telling Rupert how much she craves his death was her best moment in the entire show. "gently caress off and die, Rupert!"

• "AVENGE ME!"

Scott Forstall posted:

i'm impressed by 2x10 of Ted Lasso. The Rick Astley thing seemed odd at first, but also appropriately Ted Lasso, as it were.

Plenty of plot development, with more plot setup for future drama. 2 more to go for this season and 2x11 looks like possibly Sam's dad might make an appearance
Oh I thought that was the last episode, and was about to poo poo all over the season. That makes more sense with the two filler episodes that got added.

Really not sure what message was intended with the Never Gonna Give You Up bit. ...

DurosKlav posted:

I dont look forward to seeing what Nate turns into after whatever it was Rupert said to him. I really havent been enjoying them dragging out that plotline all season long.
Fascinated by that little mystery! I kind of hear you on the pacing of that plot though, they've been teasing it out for so long.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 24, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My guess (based on nothing) is that Rupert’s buying another football team and wants to poach Nate.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

My guess (based on nothing) is that Rupert’s buying another football team and wants to poach Nate.

Yeah. And as a villain Nate being the anti Ted the monster Ted creates is actually pretty good.

Best episode of the season easily. Sassy is fantastic and more of her please.

But the love life relationship of Sam and spoiler really, really doesn’t work. Like it’s so tone deaf it’s sort of shocking at this point.

Take the scene with all the woman talking about it. Funny, fun scene right?

Now gender swap it.

Total horror show. Your 13 year old nephew finds out you’re hooking up with their major sports crush the hot female soccer player who you are the boss too and saying “what a stud” and throwing up a thumbs up while you are talking about how much fun it is to be hooking up with her bragging about it but because of the obvious power dynamic issues you know you need to break it off…

And Roy Kent was fantastic in this episode, the most him he’s almost been since the first few episodes of this season… and then they do it loving again.

Twitter fantasy boyfriend apologizing to Keely who was arguable being just as much of a jerk from the jump as he was. (The Apple bit made him a jerk but before that point it was pretty even and a classic couple fight where no one person was more right or wrong than the other).

And I loving loved Keely season 1.

Still the best ep of the season though.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 24, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the first two episodes of Foundation, but it barely has anything to do with the book, given how much new content they have added to make it more interesting to the casual viewer.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Oasx posted:

I liked the first two episodes of Foundation, but it barely has anything to do with the book, given how much new content they have added to make it more interesting to the casual viewer.

What we're seeing mostly seems to be natural extension or at least not incompatible though. And the look and feel is pretty solid. They get a similar but distinct feel to the Star Wars ancient and lived-in galaxy, and they're doing a decent job presenting a society and history so vast that even people in the thick of it don't comprehend its scale, with a Space Roman empire that's powerful but increasingly fragile. I guess they feel like a straighter adaptation really would feel like an early prototype of its genre of space opera, and I don't really blame them. Only doing the first two stories in the season feels a bit too padded, but the padding seems pretty neat so far.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Killer robot posted:

What we're seeing mostly seems to be natural extension or at least not incompatible though. And the look and feel is pretty solid. They get a similar but distinct feel to the Star Wars ancient and lived-in galaxy, and they're doing a decent job presenting a society and history so vast that even people in the thick of it don't comprehend its scale, with a Space Roman empire that's powerful but increasingly fragile. I guess they feel like a straighter adaptation really would feel like an early prototype of its genre of space opera, and I don't really blame them. Only doing the first two stories in the season feels a bit too padded, but the padding seems pretty neat so far.

the writers are super solid. Jokes about Goyer aside, he's capable of strong writing in the right moments, and Jane E is a fantastic sci fi writer. (Buffy, Battle Star G among many other credits)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
so far Foundation is like.... look at all that loving MONEY

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Great ep of Ted Lasso.

Escobarbarian posted:

My first thought was maybe Rupert's been talking to Nate for a while, and that explains his heel turn somehow? But I like yours better. Could also explain Rupert's divestiture of their Richmond share, maybe there's some rule forbidding owning a stake in multiple teams?

LionArcher posted:

Take the scene with all the woman talking about it. Funny, fun scene right?

Now gender swap it.

Total horror show. Your 13 year old nephew finds out you’re hooking up with their major sports crush the hot female soccer player who you are the boss too and saying “what a stud” and throwing up a thumbs up while you are talking about how much fun it is to be hooking up with her bragging about it but because of the obvious power dynamic issues you know you need to break it off…

I felt this way about Rebecca and Sam earlier, but for some reason I didn't think about it at all in this episode. You're not wrong though, I think that says more about me.

I don't think Rebecca's wariness is about the power dynamic, or at least the explicit reasons the show offered were "age difference" and "if the press finds out". The latter could imply power imbalance I guess, but it feels like the show's going out of its way not to address it.

LionArcher posted:

And Roy Kent was fantastic in this episode, the most him he’s almost been since the first few episodes of this season… and then they do it loving again.

Twitter fantasy boyfriend apologizing to Keely who was arguable being just as much of a jerk from the jump as he was. (The Apple bit made him a jerk but before that point it was pretty even and a classic couple fight where no one person was more right or wrong than the other).

And I loving loved Keely season 1.

I don't understand this complaint. Your issue is Roy apologizing for too much?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Haven't watched the second one yet, but the Foundation premiere was extremely good.

Never read the books, though. What a wild premise! I love it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Almost threw my remote at the TV when they did the Jaime-Keely-Roy love triangle bit. Jesus loving christ what rear end in a top hat thought that was a good idea? You've made Roy into the perfect boyfriend so if you break them up so Jaime and Keely get back together then either Keely goes from an absolutely delightful character to complete rear end in a top hat, Roy suddenly becomes a monster, or it goes nowhere and you just wasted the audiences time.

Didn't love the editing of Ted's confession with Rebecca's. That weaving implies they're going through similar emotional journeys but I'm sorry your dad killing himself when you're a teenager and you finding his body is not remotely comparable to catching your dad cheating. That said both confessions were quite good and I'm glad we got more of Ted talking about his dad.

They better land this Nate plane. They've been teasing that poo poo for 2 seasons and the Rupert thing massively ups the ante. I would love if Rupert's doing the team purchase and poach thing another goon suggested.

Lastly Sassy is the best, I could watch her relentlessly go after Rupert forever.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Great ep of Ted Lasso.

My first thought was maybe Rupert's been talking to Nate for a while, and that explains his heel turn somehow? But I like yours better. Could also explain Rupert's divestiture of their Richmond share, maybe there's some rule forbidding owning a stake in multiple teams?

I felt this way about Rebecca and Sam earlier, but for some reason I didn't think about it at all in this episode. You're not wrong though, I think that says more about me.

I don't think Rebecca's wariness is about the power dynamic, or at least the explicit reasons the show offered were "age difference" and "if the press finds out". The latter could imply power imbalance I guess, but it feels like the show's going out of its way not to address it.

I don't understand this complaint. Your issue is Roy apologizing for too much?

My issue is Roy Kent no longer feels as much like a person and more like he’s been required to complete the same character ark most episodes this season (best fantasy boyfriend ever that makes mistakes but then comes around and don’t we all love him?) At the same time, Keely has also become a worse character because they keep repeating the same story beat.

Also, in this episode it’s not an equal relationship. They both acted like jerks, but it was only Roy Kent who apologized. The writers can’t have a couple who’s just learning and getting better as a relationship, so they threw in a love triangle that really doesn’t need to happen. Jamie was becoming a better character because he was growing this season without it being about her, and this cheapened his growth.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, there's been two episodes now where Keeley absolutely flips on him instead of just communicating her feelings, and both times ended with him apologising. It is a little weird for her characterisation.

pokeyman posted:

Could also explain Rupert's divestiture of their Richmond share, maybe there's some rule forbidding owning a stake in multiple teams?
Think I heard recently that this was a thing with someone who had stakes in two clubs that got in trouble, so this seems likely.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Lastly Sassy is the best, I could watch her relentlessly go after Rupert forever.
It's still so weird for me having seen Ellie Taylor go from modelling to standup on a reality show called Show Me The Funny a DECADE ago, to this.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LionArcher posted:

My issue is Roy Kent no longer feels as much like a person and more like he’s been required to complete the same character ark most episodes this season (best fantasy boyfriend ever that makes mistakes but then comes around and don’t we all love him?) At the same time, Keely has also become a worse character because they keep repeating the same story beat.

Also, in this episode it’s not an equal relationship. They both acted like jerks, but it was only Roy Kent who apologized. The writers can’t have a couple who’s just learning and getting better as a relationship, so they threw in a love triangle that really doesn’t need to happen. Jamie was becoming a better character because he was growing this season without it being about her, and this cheapened his growth.

Got it, and I agree Roy's walked that path a few times now. Maybe if they had him apologize just for the apple bit, "that was too far" or something.

Jamie seems to have approximately one friend in his life, so it wasn't surprising he said that to Keely, and this is a rare show where I trust they're not just wasting our time with dumb love "triangle" stuff (I refuse to call it a triangle straight up unless all three parties are into one another, triangles have three sides dammit). They even had Ted call it out explicitly in season 1.

Also kept waiting for a hard-J "Rojas" from Jamie, but no luck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hope they do whatever it is they are going to do with Nate soon, because he's loving annoying. He keeps trying to act like he's a smart and important boy while just being mediocre and happening to have made one good call a while ago. He's cringy as hell and I can't stand listening to him this season.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Honestly, I kind of wonder if this will all end up with the last episode this season getting them back by the smallest of margins into the Premier League, only to have Sam on another team (probably Rupert's) Nate leading said team and outting the other coaching staff's confessions from the episode a couple back which would lead to probably either a gutting of the staff or other fallout. If Sam and Rebecca get outted into the press, it is easily possible that they'll lose their current sponsor due to it being their app that got them together.

Honestly, thinking about it a bit more here, I believe the worst case scenario would be that Rupert let go of his shares because all this is going to come out into the open (either naturally or via Nate), the fans and board will side with him and he'll come riding in like a white knight to swoop in, fire the coaching staff, put Nate in as coach, devestating everyone and being the ultimate revenge on Rebecca. And everything will look like it was both Ted's personal issues that pulled the team down and that Rebecca was too distracted/too bad at her job because it's half true and Rupert would absolutely do this. This being the "analog to the Empire Strikes Back" makes me think that while Season 1's ending episode was devestating but had hope to it at the end, that Season 2's ending episode will absolutely be crushing even more so.

Which will make this feel even more awesome when they (or whatever team makeup they've got) manage to come back from and crush Manchester City in the finals in the final episode of Season 3

Also on a non-spoilery note, did anyone else notice that Ted started swearing more in this episode? I feel like that while his outward persona of super nice guy that he projects helped to also protect him from dealing with his issues, it might also be the others around him rubbing off on him a bit. Or that's what he's really like but it seemed way more evident in this episode than the rest. Could just be me though.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It does feel like this season would be a lot stronger if they had accelerated whatever they're doing with Nate. That seems like the actual antagonistic element they need but they've just strung it out for so long.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Seiyal posted:

Also on a non-spoilery note, did anyone else notice that Ted started swearing more in this episode? I feel like that while his outward persona of super nice guy that he projects helped to also protect him from dealing with his issues, it might also be the others around him rubbing off on him a bit. Or that's what he's really like but it seemed way more evident in this episode than the rest. Could just be me though.

I figured it was his not having control. He's not picking his words too carefully in the middle of a panic attack or when reliving the worst moment of his life.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I like the incredibly simple psychology of Ted saying "I wish I'd told him [he was good at the things he didn't care about being good at]" with his constant "I appreciate [x]" trait, including Doc confirming she will bill him for this mid-hug and "I appreciate your professionalism."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This was definitely the best episode of Ted Lasso S2 so far and IMO the only one that's on the quality of the S1 average. Hopefully they can at least keep it up for the ending.

Also every time Rupert was on screen I felt like he was made to look like Roger Delgado as the Master from 1970s Doctor Who.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The church sing-along was just dreadful. Writers getting high on their own supply here

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It does feel like this season would be a lot stronger if they had accelerated whatever they're doing with Nate. That seems like the actual antagonistic element they need but they've just strung it out for so long.

Definitely agree with this. It’s been so long of him just being a jerk without them playing their hand as to what the actual plan is, and it’s uncomfortable to watch. I really like it from a psychology viewpoint, the once-bullied guy who has unresolved trauma so he now picks on people below him, but it’s been stuck on the same note the whole season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This was definitely the best episode of Ted Lasso season 2 for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a fantastic episode.

I’m really not sure where people are getting that Keely and Roy were both in the wrong in their argument. Keely didn’t even do anything

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m really not sure where people are getting that Keely and Roy were both in the wrong in their argument. Keely didn’t even do anything

She asked him about his personal beliefs on death and then got upset with him when he didn't bring sufficient gravity to the conversation and maybe a hint of not respecting his views on death. You can't force someone into existential conversations and then get upset with them if they don't respond in the way you wanted.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the argument is that Keely got angry at how Roy approached funerals. Which doesn't seem fair, there are absolutely different valid ways to deal with a funeral.

Roy escalated by turning it into making fun of Keely's dying wishes etc., so he was certainly More Wrong, but Keely wasn't a bystander.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Keely behaved so inappropriately at the funeral. There is no right or wrong way to grieve but she wasn’t grieving and in some instances treated it more like a party or event. A great example is her reaction to seeing Sassy show up.

Roy was also a huge dick to her when he mocked her from the previous conversation.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Worth mentioning for anyone who hasn’t seen it, Foundation has its own thread.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I like this episode, though I'm not a fan of Jamie coming back in. That seems a bit unearned, because while he has improved as a person he's still a pretty big rear end in a top hat.

I'll spoiler it, because I think it hasn't been 48 hours so just in case, but the last scene in Ted Lasso The tape all of a sudden switching to Rick Astley honestly felt like the writers really, seriously wanted to Rick Roll people and while it worked in the episode it just struck me weirdly.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does anyone remember what the song easy lover was referencing? I thought it was mentioned earlier in the season but can't recall.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Does anyone remember what the song easy lover was referencing? I thought it was mentioned earlier in the season but can't recall.

I’m not sure the exact episode but Ted had mentioned something along the lines of that it shouldn’t take any longer than the duration of Easy Lover to get dressed in the morning iirc. (I may be butchering the exact circumstances/quote a bit, apologies)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

seaborgium posted:

I like this episode, though I'm not a fan of Jamie coming back in. That seems a bit unearned, because while he has improved as a person he's still a pretty big rear end in a top hat.

I'll spoiler it, because I think it hasn't been 48 hours so just in case, but the last scene in Ted Lasso The tape all of a sudden switching to Rick Astley honestly felt like the writers really, seriously wanted to Rick Roll people and while it worked in the episode it just struck me weirdly.

That was the weirdest bit of the episode for me. Did I miss that the song was her dad's favorite or something? It felt weird that it kept coming out, then she sung it during her Eulogy. It's possible I just missed something, but it felt really out of place that the song kept coming up.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Cojawfee posted:

That was the weirdest bit of the episode for me. Did I miss that the song was her dad's favorite or something? It felt weird that it kept coming out, then she sung it during her Eulogy. It's possible I just missed something, but it felt really out of place that the song kept coming up.

Her mom talked about its importance at the beginning of the episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alex Levy is a terrible loving character

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Alex Levy is a terrible loving character

Wait, you mean Aniston‘s character? Or do you mean Witherspoon‘s? I get those two mixed up. Witherspoon‘s character is awful but totally believable. Aniston‘s character is wonderfully awful and also completely realistic.

Morning show is handling me too and the culture better than basically everything else that’s going on, which is why it’s hilariously being ignored most of the time on Twitter by the same people that the show is doing a very good job of mocking. The fact that Aniston and Witherspoon are clearly major creative forces behind it just makes me respect them all the much more. And Steve is doing a fantastic job playing a miserable terrible person.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aniston’s character. She’s awful and Aniston doesn’t have the chops to make her compelling besides that. I also have no idea why Carell is even in this show now and his storyline is not interesting to me at all. Very mixed on the scene with the lovely woman trying to call him out publicly because yeah those people are exist and are obnoxious and awful but it didn’t really feel like the show had anything to say about it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not really sure if I care about The Morning Show at the moment since it seems like they are trying to reset things. Though I did enjoy that random lady (I think she was random) who got upset that Steve's character had the gall to visit HER favorite gelato place and personally ruin her life while her friend filmed it. It seemed so unrealistic but also so believable at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s absolutely believable lmao. I lost it when they reveal that her friend was filming it the whole time. The other woman is less believable and I’m really not sure where they’re going with her and also am not interested at all tbh