Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I know this is a fantasy, but, literally just don't tie skills to gear. It sucks having to pick between not getting to have fun with skills to look the way I want or getting the skills I want and looking like a clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bleck posted:

I know this is a fantasy, but, literally just don't tie skills to gear. It sucks having to pick between not getting to have fun with skills to look the way I want or getting the skills I want and looking like a clown.

Looking fresh is the most important thing in the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bleck posted:

I hope they do this. Also make it less grindy to get the chunks you want. I never bothered really even in 2 because of that.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Looking fresh is the most important thing in the game.

the ugly clothes have good abilities for game balance

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i think i had to play close to 100 hours of splatoon 2 to finally get enough chunks to min-max one outfit for one gun

i dont mind chunks in theory, its nice being able to put any ability in any sub-slot, but the prices are 10x what they should be to put chunks into those slots. The amount of grinding you need to do, if you aren't lucky enough to have gear randomly roll the stuff you want, is absurd

tbf tho, this is only a problem if you are literally trying to min-max. Its relatively easy to get an outfit about 75% there with just luck alone

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, chunk grinding is a pain and I hope that they replace all currencies with a generic one that can be used in a manner similar to chunks.

I'd also like to share a shortcut for grinding. If you have sea snails, pick a piece of gear that favors the chunk you're after and reroll its abilities a bunch of times. You'll get what you need in no time.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bloodly posted:

I'm left with a feeling.

"Them city slickers and their Zapfish....Don't know what work is like." "The problems here are a lot different than in Inkopolis."

City/area rivalry sort of thing.

The big fancy tourist parts of town from Inkopolis vs the residential districts. That's the kind of vibe I got.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'm mixed on the chunks thing. Them costing 10 points to add abilities followed by 20 and 30 there after is brutal, but I kind of get it since then it would completely homogenize the clothes. I remember in Splatoon one that there was a period of time where the only headgear most people wore was the Captains Hat since it had attack up which was really beneficial for chargers.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just want to see the hairstyles already.

Like, I'm probably going with Octopompadour? But maybe there's something even cooler.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope they add a bunch of hairstyles. I wanted many more in 2.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

These are the same gun, I says.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

These are the same gun, I says.

Weapon attachments in 3 would make a lot more sense than having multiple guns of the same type.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Weapon attachments in 3 would make a lot more sense than having multiple guns of the same type.

Not even going that far. I think 3 is gonna give us cosmetic weapon styles.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That would also be cool. I just want the game to focus more on being fresh.:cool:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
shout outs to all the people tonight who are playing Salmon Run for what is apparently the first time

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

My big want is to just completely decouple abilities from clothing. Ideally with a "point buy" system where abilities cost a certain amount and you can slot in whatever as long as it fits the point budget, to completely remove grinding from setting skills. I'm fully expecting to have to grind for abilities again though :negative:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Definitely agree that not having abilities tied to specific clothes would be rad. At a minimum I hope the shop with different main ability options comes back in the phone app.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Posted this in another thread but I figured you nerds should see it too

One of the splatfest songs chorus sounds just like a TMbG song and it's really distracting because my brain is trying to recognize the lyrics or something instead of paying attention to the drat game.

Relevant Timestamps:

Splatoon 2: Muck Warfare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-xvUfi21Zg&t=42s

They Might Be Giants: Icky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6xzIPhnsCE&t=38s
[/quote]

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1407157017723031557

App-based Online lobby gonna get disconnected in July. I guess someone might be using it, we're still hanging around discord.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

End of an era.

(Join the discord)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's funny how a lack of voice chat can improve an online experience.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Sorry it took so long to get it done, but the amazing tag Korean Boomhauer made is finally available. You can see it on their posts soon, probably.

If you want it, please quote this post and say "tag me please" so I can search for the posts in case a bunch of people want it. I'm only going to give out a handful every day just so I don't clog up the admin queue, since they're being nice enough to let me hand it out for free. Also if it's been a few days and you haven't gotten a tag you requested, feel free to PM me because I probably just got distracted halfway through doing them or something.

There is a somewhat flexible, ask me and I'll see what we can do if you really like your tags general 2-tag limit, so if you're already at 2, please consider which one you would like to drop or consider asking for a marquee scroll on your tags, for an example please click Relax or DIE's profile. Ignore the fact that Relax somehow decided to stack 2 marquees at the same time.

:eyepop::popeye::eyepop:

Now...I gotta reinstall Splatoon 2 because I really enjoyed it when I was playing it way back when. Thanks for the reminder!

Tag me please!

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
Also, to provide actual content to this thread, I’ve been trying to get back into playing in preparation for the new game (and also because I really enjoy it and it’s a better way to unwind than like resident evil village). It’s actually pretty nice to see a lot more lower level people in the game again! The last time I had picked it before now it felt like everyone was max level or at least over 100 so seeing even like a handful of level 20’s or 40’s is extremely nice and I feel like it’s making the games more hectic and less games go to the tune of “take a handful of steps out of spawn and immediately get splatted”.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/Z4ngPsn5d5A

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks great. I hope they do another beta like they did before 1 and 2.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fuzzy tentacles are strange.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Very excited

Squid sisters all up in the trailer but did anyone see off the hook anywhere

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Bloop posted:

Very excited

Now I'm wondering if they're gonna be involved as the news casters again or if they'll do another dlc campaign expansion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I like how much smoother the S3 specials look. The S2 specs had the issue of being powerful, but feels awful to use and they felt kind of stiff. Stuff like Sting Ray felt so awful to control, and Ink Armor isn't exactly a fun special to actually fight against, and using it was just click the stick and go. Hopefully they can hit a nice middle ground between S1 and 2 specs, cause S1's specs had the issue of locking the other players out of the game entirely with the invincible specials. Crab mech looks way more dynamic than Kraken and Baller.

The Bloop posted:

Very excited

No. They'll likely show up with Agent 4 and 8 later in the campaign.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Off The Hook as the hosts again but it seems like too good of an opportunity to not introduce new hosts with each game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Off The Hook as the hosts again but it seems like too good of an opportunity to not introduce new hosts with each game.
it would be criminal to bring back squid sisters but not off the hook

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/slogsdon/status/1441209670174056453

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's impressive to me how much worldbuilding there seems to be, especially given that a few short years ago it was a totally new IP that Nintendo just kind of gave a shot and had no idea if it would flop or be a success.

Like, you could just say "it's a game where squids transform into humanoids and shoot ink at each other with water guns and a cat judges who won, don't worry about how or why" and get away with it.

Oh yeah and the games are fun to play and Splatoon 3 looks insanely fun to play too, so there's that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It's impressive to me how much worldbuilding there seems to be, especially given that a few short years ago it was a totally new IP that Nintendo just kind of gave a shot and had no idea if it would flop or be a success.

Like, you could just say "it's a game where squids transform into humanoids and shoot ink at each other with water guns and a cat judges who won, don't worry about how or why" and get away with it.

Oh yeah and the games are fun to play and Splatoon 3 looks insanely fun to play too, so there's that.

They got it right from the start too. I was interested the moment I started playing 1’s campaign.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

They got it right from the start too. I was interested the moment I started playing 1’s campaign.

And for some reason they refused to do this with ARMS and it crashed and burned.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm expecting the new squid idols this time around to be boy band style squid celebs, like K-Pop boys. I'm sure there's some kind of ocean pun there, the K stands for Kelp?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waffleman_ posted:

And for some reason they refused to do this with ARMS and it crashed and burned.

If there’s ever an Arms 2 then a fleshed out single player is a must.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm expecting the new squid idols this time around to be boy band style squid celebs, like K-Pop boys. I'm sure there's some kind of ocean pun there, the K stands for Kelp?

The new idols are gonna be the unused rabbit concepts from early Splatoon development.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ok the new trailer was cool but where’s the update on Salmon Run / whatever the horde mode is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Squirrel Scramble