Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'm starting to delve into family history, while I wait for the stupid anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers to settle the gently caress down.

It looks like my ancestors were a bunch of hard drinking eastern European farmers, but my wife's ancestors, well, it looks like she is a member of not one or even two, but three Scottish clans.

My wife is literally a Highlander.

Anyone else looked at their family history and found something cool or even better, something very strange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

my family came from helldump

naem
May 29, 2011

I am a Kraut-Mick or Uruk Hai as we call ourselves

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
My family apparently came from a royal family in the UK back in the 1800s. I have the crest somewhere. Its neat.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my moms side of the family is tremendously boring but my dads side has our progenitor pop into existence around 1912 here in canada. we did some digging and found the italian village he came from, we're pretty sure he was an indentured servant smuggled in by some minor landowner fleeing increasingly tumultuous europe. they landed in cape breton and then just stayed there for like 80 years until my dad left to travel canada lol. it's cool tho cause they're landowners now and rest assured they vote straight conservative every time (no immigrants allowed!!!!)

anyway i'm basically descended from a slave

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Richie Rich here working from home and its so fun he made a hoby out of it

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Half my family came to the US illegally. My mere existence is incredibly upsetting to racists.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

My family was obliterated by Hitler, thanks for the reminder rear end in a top hat.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Half my family came to the US illegally. My mere existence is incredibly upsetting to racists.

How many are named Mario

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

dr.acula posted:

My family was obliterated by Hitler, thanks for the reminder rear end in a top hat.

Hitler was obliterated by my family

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dr.acula posted:

have you considered that maybe they had it coming?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my family teleported to earth from mars during the great zomboid-lizardpeople wars of 452GDe

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

my father was a mountain top, my mother an egg of stone. that's right i'm the punkiest monkey that ever popped.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

dr.acula posted:

I know no practicing jews but so many people whos grandparents were in lived/died in a camp

naem
May 29, 2011

apparently the Scottish in my fam tree are all women who left Scotland to marry dudes they met here in the US, on both my maternal and paternal sides, also both of their parent’s maternal and paternal sides again and again

so just decades of women fleeing Scotland

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I'm descended from that time the queen got railed by a ghost

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Im decended from kings, some kind of mario rear end wog short kings lineage

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
One of my ancestors was an OG Massachusetts Bay Colony guy.

But it turns out 200 years later in the 1830s a distant cousin paid to have a false biography written that alleged he was a descendant of royalty going back to Crusade times. Ya think about Jacksonian era racism and you can see the motivation I guess. We fought the English just to have some people decide being English is better than everybody else who wound up over here.

There are countless boomers on the genealogy sites repeating this royalty falsehood, with geocities links as citations. My mother repeated this account back when she did genealogy in the early 2000s. I did the fact checking. In the biography it talks about our ancestor being on John Winthrop's ship, the Argus iirc. But his name doesn't show up on anything but a land title in the 1630s so that's when I started really questioning the account.

An obscure academic basically blew up this fraud biographers work back in the 1930s, but he didn't author that many so it's kind of forgotten inconsequential history. I'm still getting around to emailing this dude at the Massachusetts historical society, I'm sure looking into this would be a fun project.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 24, 2021

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

20 Blunts posted:

One of my ancestors was an OG Massachusetts Bay Colony guy.

But it turns out 200 years later in the 1830s a distant cousin paid to have a false biography written that alleged he was a descendant of royalty going back to Crusade times. Ya think about Jacksonian era racism and you can see the motivation I guess. We fought the English just to have some people decide being English is better than everybody else who wound up over here.

There are countless boomers on the genealogy sites repeating this royalty falsehood, with geocities links as citations.

An obscure academic basically blew up this fraud biographers work back in the 1930s, but he didn't author that many so it's kind of forgotten inconsequential history. I'm still getting around to emailing this dude at the Massachusetts historical society, I'm sure looking into this would be a fun project.

Sucks 2 B U

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My dad's step father was involved in some plot to take down the US government. They were planning on using wall street money to give jobs to white industrialists in exchange for those guys later joining an army to take over the US. Some general was in on it, but later he realized they were clowns and turned them over, though they all used their financial resources to escape any consequences.

My grandmother did divorce him though and take a chunk of his change with her.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Well my father's side came from the mountains, while my mothers side came from the caves.

As you may suspect I was born in my father's village but raised with my mother's people.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

DandyLion posted:

Well my father's side came from the mountains, while my mothers side came from the caves.

As you may suspect I was born in my father's village but raised with my mother's people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CI3lhyNKfo

Boner M fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 24, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
My great-grandparents on my mother’s side came to the US fleeing the Armenian genocide. That’s about the most interesting part I guess.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Boner M posted:

Sucks 2 B U

I honestly don't think I would've been as interested in genealogy if I didn't have something disprove. It is cool to have a lineage going back that far because with my German & Polish ancestors, for example......you hit a bit of a wall if they were just super poor farmers who came in the 1870's. I'm not sure of the next steps into digging into those histories, and then a language barrier will come up if there are any documents out there.

Meanwhile with the English ancestry, the other side of that is so many scholars & amateurs have thrown themselves at the American Colonial era that it may be the case some nerd lawyer in the 1970s already wrote your family tree out for you.

It did blow my mind on Ancestry.com to find the hundreds of thousands of pages of English church records that are all fully-scanned and up for your review. I looked at some of these and the scribe would literally pack like 50 years of Church events onto a single page, in handwriting. So it would be stuff like:
"1601: Mary & Thomas got married in April. Paul & Elizabeth got married in May. Thomas died in August." but all scrunched together and then like 100 more years squashed in after that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i had a great grand uncle named "pleasant" who was a bootlegger that died in a shootout with the cops on a riverboat in alabama

i am also a direct descendant of john proctor, famously executed for witchcraft in salem

thats all on my moms side, who came to the us in like the 17th century and spread all over the goddamn place and mixed up with all kinds of peoples, fought on both sides of the civil war, etc.

my dad's side are jews who fled pogroms in romania and russia and settled in the lower east side of manhattan and brownsville in brooklyn where they all became typical work obsessed neurotic new yorkers. at some point one of them ran a candy factory. my grandparents eventually moved to pennsylvania where my grandfather went into pharma and was part of the team that developed the polio vaccine

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 24, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
3 I can think of:

- In the 1800's, I had a relative who was a rural doctor. His homestead was attacked by some local tribesman and he was killed. His wife hid the kids under a laundry basket and shot two of them before help arrived. She and the kids survived. There was an actual newspaper article on it, which was pretty cool.

- One of my relatives died when she attempted an abortion with a hatpin.

- My great grandfather had polio and ran a successful wallpapering company. He would use his crutches to push the wallpaper up the walls. Not world-changing, but my mom uses it a lot to describe his character and it's pretty much my only image of the man.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
One of my ancestors was a British soldier during the Revolutionary War who deserted, got a job on a farm, and stayed here ever since.

Another is the progenitor of 95% of the people in this country with my last name. Which makes searching for specific ancestors afterward a slog.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My great great great (blah blah blah) grandfather was born on the Mayflower. My grandpa told me that and in like 3rd grade we were reading our history book and his name came up in there. I was excited.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I've had at least two very dorky type of guys try to convince me they were descendants of some kind royalty that had to flee from their respective countries in attempt to impress me. I guess it must be some kinda thing people pick up somewhere, but being related to weird rich aristocracy (even if true) is the opposite of impressive to me. I laughed, but I didn't really let on as to why I was laughing.

naem
May 29, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My great great great (blah blah blah) grandfather was born on the Mayflower. My grandpa told me that and in like 3rd grade we were reading our history book and his name came up in there. I was excited.

we’re probably related

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

hell astro course posted:

I've had at least two very dorky type of guys try to convince me they were descendants of some kind royalty that had to flee from their respective countries in attempt to impress me. I guess it must be some kinda thing people pick up somewhere, but being related to weird rich aristocracy (even if true) is the opposite of impressive to me. I laughed, but I didn't really let on as to why I was laughing.

I have a line queued for that!
"Oh, cool! I'm from Kentucky, so it isn't often I meet someone even more inbred!"
Only got to use it once. :smith:

e: Kyoo

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 25, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

naem posted:

we’re probably related

I still have his last name. You?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I'm a mix of scandinavian and british heritage with a bit of french on my mom's side, which means I am certifiably White as gently caress.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm starting to delve into family history, while I wait for the stupid anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers to settle the gently caress down.

It looks like my ancestors were a bunch of hard drinking eastern European farmers, but my wife's ancestors, well, it looks like she is a member of not one or even two, but three Scottish clans.

My wife is literally a Highlander.

Anyone else looked at their family history and found something cool or even better, something very strange?

how did this post get lost for a year and a half?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

After the James-Younger gang got run out of Northfield, MN they retreated across southern Minnesota. They stopped at a farm and asked the farmer how to get to Missouri. The farmer told them to keep going the way they were and they'd hit the river, and it was straight on from there. The farmer told Jesse James he might want a hat because it's a long and hot ride, and gave him his. That farmer was my great great grandfather.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Hitler was obliterated by my family

hitler killed himself so that means hitler was your family

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's cool though, i'm not suggesting any guilt by association

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Perhaps they're desended from Mr. Luger.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ventral EggSac posted:

I'm descended from that time the queen got railed by a ghost
Statistically speaking 75% of us are likely descended from the queen that got railed by a ghost by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Statistically speaking 75% of us are likely descended from the queen that got railed by a ghost by now.

just becuse your right doesn't mean you should say something