Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Palpek posted:

My mental list of side poo poo that I need to finish before escaping the loop is getting unreasonably long. Like, I haven't even started on that hidden stash map in Updaam or on delivering crank wheels to areas that don't have them or figuring out the other 2 of 3 codes in that one Updaam building where Eternalists are getting high or those 3 codes on the wall inside the RAK bunker in Fristad Rock etc. On one hand I could probably just let it go but on the other I don't want to end this game yet lol.

How does this work? I don't understand how to use the delivery stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In one of the 4 zones there is a guy who manages the delivery stations and you can discover his office and how to use them. Get explorin’!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't know how anybody was supposed to figure out that spy room quest with the apartments on their own. I used a guide, and I know for sure I'd never have worked that poo poo out. Kudos if you did.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

BigglesSWE posted:

God the music that kicks in when you go loud at the party is so. loving. GOOD.

The soundtrack is certainly one of the best in recent memory. Some of the diagetic music in particular is fantastic while adding to their respective characters.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

God the music that kicks in when you go loud at the party is so. loving. GOOD.

"bahh bahh bah bah bah bah bah make them tits slap bah bah bah bah"

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't know how anybody was supposed to figure out that spy room quest with the apartments on their own. I used a guide, and I know for sure I'd never have worked that poo poo out. Kudos if you did.

I got it on my own once I figured out that "OHHHH radio in the morning means the hackable radios, not just the morning announcements or something", but also I am a veteran Myst player who loves puzzles and had already noticed that the maps had coordinates and there were doors with doorbells that didn't do anything. :V The glyphs one was absolute catnip for me haha. I think I've gotten almost all the puzzles done by now, so if anyone just wants a nudge in the right direction and not a whole spoiler answer, I can help

Good at puzzles, absolute fuckin garbage at multiplayer. Maybe someday I'll get more than one hit in on a Colt, oof.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It seems to be divisive but I really like the adaptive difficulty. The game is never that hard but even with all of my fancy gadgets it feels much harder at the end. Just face tanking a group of enemies is much more of a challenge. I really think they should have the base difficulty be a bit harder though. it's kind of distracting how easy the early game is.

I really hope they rejigger some stuff and release some sort of hard mode. maybe with some objectives changed to keep things fresh.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Since I know a couple of people in the thread mentioned interest in seeing speedruns of the game, I noticed that Distortion2 has been running the game recently.

The latest upload has the run down to 20:47.

https://youtu.be/lQ5LS8HozOg

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Since I know a couple of people in the thread mentioned interest in seeing speedruns of the game, I noticed that Distortion2 has been running the game recently.

That's loving crazy. If anyone is curious how that's possible, but not wanting to watch the whole video, he uses grenades to go out of bounds at the bunker to kill Fia and Charlie, and accesses Frank's fireworks console through the wall to skip both of those entire quest lines

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
...Ok I finally gave the multiplayer as Julianna a whirl for a few hours and...

1) Julianna that started out and has just a handful of random equipment getting pitted against well-stocked Colt is hilariously unfair. Just getting thunked with exploding nail by a Colt who had both the "power doesn't drain while standing still" and "offensive action doesn't break invisibility" Aether while all I have is a Pepper Mill.

2) As Colt, you get more invasions the more you progress, so fighting against well-stocked Colts is actually far more likely than against someone who just started out, when playing as Julianna.

3) The random loot you get as you progress in ranks is infuriating. I am rank 8, I have 3 Sniper Rifles, 5 Constances, 6 Pepper Mills and meanwhile, the only Slab I possess is the one I started with. And of course no upgrades for it either. I guess there is another Julianna somewhere that is drowning in Slabs while having like 3 weapons. There really should be some kind of shop where you can sell and buy equipment that would allow you to get rid of dupes, while also covering the holes in your roster. (please tell me it exist and I'm just blind/too low rank to see it).

4) Colt running away without achieving any objectives, or (far more importantly!) Colt disconnecting after I killed him once or twice should really count as a win for Julianna. I mean yeah, it could be a bad connection or exploits or ecetera, but c'mon, we all know he rage-quitted and this is not supposed to be some kind of well-balanced, competitive, serious businesses multiplayer anyways, throw the girl a bone.

5) Despite all of the above, the multiplayer mode is outrageously fun and anyone who doesn't give it a try is missing a huge and extremely entertaining part of the game, IMHO.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Lt. Lizard posted:

...Ok I finally gave the multiplayer as Julianna a whirl for a few hours and...

4) Colt running away without achieving any objectives, or (far more importantly!) Colt disconnecting after I killed him once or twice should really count as a win for Julianna. I mean yeah, it could be a bad connection or exploits or ecetera, but c'mon, we all know he rage-quitted and this is not supposed to be some kind of well-balanced, competitive, serious businesses multiplayer anyways, throw the girl a bone.

I feel like this is kinda key to enjoying the MP.

It's not meant to be balanced and Julianna is going to be left behind more and more in the gear department because Colt can eventually get EVERYTHING while Julianna can get hosed by the RNG unlocks, and once she hits max level what you got is what you got. Even with all that being equal, Colt still has 3 lives vs 1 and the ability to hack and set up turrets that Juliannas have to either destroy or avoid.

It's just stupid fun that'll dry up in a month when the hype is dead and people beat the game and move on. I'm getting in while the getting's good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kamikaze Raider posted:

... while Julianna can get hosed by the RNG unlocks, and once she hits max level what you got is what you got...

Wait, are you telling me that there is a max rank AND no way to trade (the entirely random) unlocks, so it's entirely possible you just get stuck in MP without getting the Slabs/trinkets/upgrades/weapons you want and no way to switch them or get more? That's.... remarkably badly thought out. :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m pretty sure you’ll have everything unlocked if you hit rank 50

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Got to rank 15 before calling it a day. My last rank-up was 5 gray trinkets, my third exact duplica of a sniper rifle (ie. : with same ability), a purple pistol with the quiet ability and a skin. I still don't have any other Slab than the Aether I started with. So I am far less optimistic than you. :v:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Doesn’t sound like you’re playing very… sharp

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Yea, confirmed. Normally you get a slab upgrade or skin every few levels, but I hit 50 tonight (that's a lot of invasions, yeesh) and i got 15 upgrades including multiple slab upgrades like the MVP shift reach, as well as the last julianna skin i was missing.

That said, as others have mentioned I hope they add some alternative modes to remix the existing environments and make it more deliberately adversarial. There's potentially some rebalancing that multiplayer could use but I'm not sure that it's appropriate. When invading, it's boring to just rush in and try to kill Colt, because half the time they're not prepared and they just die a bunch. It's more fun to try and set traps and spook em!

A mode where as colt I can guarantee an invasion would be nice too, although at high 'loop stress' that's basically what happens whenever you load up a map with a visionary.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

bsamu posted:

Yea, confirmed. Normally you get a slab upgrade or skin every few levels, but I hit 50 tonight (that's a lot of invasions, yeesh) and i got 15 upgrades including multiple slab upgrades like the MVP shift reach, as well as the last julianna skin i was missing.

Oh, I had heard to the contrary, but I haven't personally hit max rank yet. I'm glad to hear that isn't the case. It seemed like a really dumb decision on their part not to give Julianna access to all the gun variants and trinkets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finding Fias paintings is one of the most garbage tier quests I have done in a game in a while.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

Got to rank 15 before calling it a day. My last rank-up was 5 gray trinkets, my third exact duplica of a sniper rifle (ie. : with same ability), a purple pistol with the quiet ability and a skin. I still don't have any other Slab than the Aether I started with. So I am far less optimistic than you. :v:

You started with Ether? I started with Nexus. What use is Nexus going to be for a Juliana player? Could you zap an Eternalist and hope Colt gets close enough to them that's he's linked when he kills them?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My newly acquired purple Stone Wall trinket combined with the purple "max health increased" trinket is hilarious. I got into a fight with multiple guys and was just running into mines and the mines were only doing like 1/10 of my health.

Fight with Frank was funny. Just hacked at him with my sword for like 30 seconds straight until he finally died (likely took so long due to the purple Stone Wall dramatically cutting my own damage; I also have to shoot like 15-20 body shots with an SMG to kill a normal mob, though being able to still kill them instantly with head shots reduces the downside). Fortunately I managed to get a max quality Turtle Shell from that run (my first non-grey Turtle Shell), so I'll have another damage mitigation option that won't cut my own damage. Also got Constancy, though tbh it's hard to rationalize replacing my silenced SMG with it. It seems like a bad idea to take two guns that use the same ammo, and there are better options if I just want to do heavy damage. The silenced SMG is great though and the guy who mentioned it being better than the nail gun is correct.

Aether with the "doesn't drain when standing still" ability is amazing. It's very good for "getting a lay of the land," since you can go completely out of cover and just stand there and mark everyone. You can also freely hack while it's active (this apparently does not count as an attack and you can do it without the "stay in stealth while attacking" upgrade). It's also nice just for letting you efficiency use your energy, since you can move in short bursts in order to ensure that you end up wherever you're trying to go (and have enough energy for it). There's no feeling rushed (which is usually my problem with abilities like Aether or Havoc).

IMJack posted:

You started with Ether? I started with Nexus. What use is Nexus going to be for a Juliana player? Could you zap an Eternalist and hope Colt gets close enough to them that's he's linked when he kills them?

I was wondering this, too (though I haven't been able to actually play as Julianna yet since the match-making doesn't seem to work for me). Can Eternalists even be linked with Colt?

If they can, I can sort of understand the benefit of it. You could equip something with large spread (or that causes explosions, like using a grenade) and use it on Colt and linked Eternalists near him, which would presumably multiply the damage across all of them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I fitted the silent SMG with increased range (damage), increased range (accuracy), and hipshot accuracy. It's an unscoped sniping machine.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

veni veni veni posted:

Finding Fias paintings is one of the most garbage tier quests I have done in a game in a while.
I found it very funny that most "guides" for this that show up in google don't even realize it's randomized and there's actually at least a dozen of them.

Luckily there's at least one that lists them all if you truly get stuck.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I bet the one under the tank tread gets a lot of people.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I feel like the easily obtained silenced LIMP really ate the Spiker's lunch.

still gonna keep using it tho

Is there any point in using the Tribunál other than it looking cool?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Is the gear/weapons dropped by Visionaries fixed or random, outside of their slab of course? I’ve only killed a couple because life has been screwy and I just recently got time to play games again, but I’m tempted to do some hardcore loop farming to get slab upgrades for Shift at least and wanted to know what I could expect for drops.

Also I love the utter loving contempt Colt has for the Visionaries. His notes talk about them like the idiot broken people they really are.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Dang, I'm surprised it's possible to just glitch your way through so many doors and walls. A speedrun in a hypothetical version where they fix that would be very different and way longer.

This also features a much faster way of killing Harriet that doesn't technically exploit any glitches (at ~17:10) though I have no idea how you'd know how to do that without being a speedrunning nerd.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Bussamove posted:

Is the gear/weapons dropped by Visionaries fixed or random, outside of their slab of course? I’ve only killed a couple because life has been screwy and I just recently got time to play games again, but I’m tempted to do some hardcore loop farming to get slab upgrades for Shift at least and wanted to know what I could expect for drops.

Semi-random. Charlie drops Shift and its upgrades, but the order you get them is random (aside from getting the slab itself first). The various Gold Weapons are in fixed locations, but the special trait attached to each one is a die-roll, and if you don't like the one you get, you can just re-obtain another copy of that weapon in the next loop.

Except Julianna; her drops are based on whatever the other player had equipped (or fully random, if you're offline).

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just finished this without spoilers, I'm happy to say. Didn't realize there was a loving ship quest (I got all seven kills before and was disappointed / happy to see there was more) that needed doing before the final loop but had a satisfying time nonetheless figuring everything out.

Highlights was definitely fighting a player Julianna the very last night of my last loop. We cat & mouse'd around for half an hour with her getting me twice before I got the most satisfying and clean machete kill of my video game career from a hidden alley. Sweet christ it was amazing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh Moxie is supposed to be bullshit hard without hacking it right? I'm not sure it's even possible without Shift

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

tokenbrownguy posted:

Just finished this without spoilers, I'm happy to say. Didn't realize there was a loving ship quest (I got all seven kills before and was disappointed / happy to see there was more) that needed doing before the final loop but had a satisfying time nonetheless figuring everything out.

Highlights was definitely fighting a player Julianna the very last night of my last loop. We cat & mouse'd around for half an hour with her getting me twice before I got the most satisfying and clean machete kill of my video game career from a hidden alley. Sweet christ it was amazing.

Ship?!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I feel like the easily obtained silenced LIMP really ate the Spiker's lunch.

still gonna keep using it tho

Is there any point in using the Tribunál other than it looking cool?

The Spiker is introduced as stealth weapon but you can find a purple one that shoots nails that stick to your target, count to 3, and explode, and it becomes its own thing.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Man it feels real bad to slam a fully charged sniper shot into Juliana's head 3 times getting the drop on her every time but still somehow totally surviving. The sniper feels so bad for PvP, at least when I'm playing Colt.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

If you haven't yet followed the power station lead, seeing it to the end is necessary to have all the tools needed for the final loop.

Chev fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 25, 2021

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Chev posted:

If you haven't yet followed the power station lead, seeing it to the end is necessary to have all the tools needed for the final loop.

I think I'm being dumb because I've completed the loop and seen the ending, but I don't recall the ship. Do you mean in a Kirk/Spock sense? If you could spoiler it for me I'd be much obliged.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flint_Paper posted:

I think I'm being dumb because I've completed the loop and seen the ending, but I don't recall the ship. Do you mean in a Kirk/Spock sense? If you could spoiler it for me I'd be much obliged.

The rocketship

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Oh god yeah of course. Never mind me. I'm a dunce.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Found my way into a mysterious room in Karl's Bay and solved the Yherva's riddle machine. Yeah!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress! I just completed the last loop, did all the stuff, got all the people, julianna gets on the hunt, I spent like 15 minutes trying to find her and can't and I'm ready to move along so I exit the tunnels like normal.... oh whoops, literally just gotta repeat everything I just did since thats not how you end the level this time lol.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 25, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Found a "fun" bug in Nighttime Karl's Bay: I can't leave. Meaning I have to kill myself to progress. And I have new trinkets I wanted to save...Possibly related to turning on the Haul-a-quinn or killing Frank by sabotaging the fireworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but do the visionary quest objectives that you do "stick"? If I Sabotage the fireworks or reprogram the computer for access do those things carry forward through all the rest of the loops? The quests deactivate after doing them once but it doesn't make sense for them to not reset, so I don't know if I need to be writing things down.