Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I got a new Appletv and I cannot figure out how to get the remote to work. My old remote works fine but the new one does nothing.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

It could need pairing with the ATV and/or the battery is dead.

If after charging it and it doesn't pair, or still doesn't work after pairing, it could be a dud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Okay I got it paired. It took me a minute to figure out which remote was which since the serial number isn't printed on the old remote.

This new remote is pretty decent. I like how thicc it is.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Okay I got it paired. It took me a minute to figure out which remote was which since the serial number isn't printed on the old remote.

This new remote is pretty decent. I like how thicc it is.

It’s an upgrade for sure , the true test is when my non tech in laws use it this weekend . Having the Siri button to the side is a good idea .

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The swipe motion in the NBC Sports app is horrible. I never really noticed it before, but with the olympics there's lots of swiping involved and boy is it just bad. Having to do the 'tap the direction' thing instead to make it bearable.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

EL BROMANCE posted:

The swipe motion in the NBC Sports app is horrible. I never really noticed it before, but with the olympics there's lots of swiping involved and boy is it just bad. Having to do the 'tap the direction' thing instead to make it bearable.

Same. It’s like they tried to make it bad. Thankfully the outer ring makes it easier.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I downloaded the Sling TV app and I guess they somehow marked it as requiring the old remote so it warns you that “your game may not work with your Apple TV”. Nice job all around there.

I haven’t seen anything that doesn’t work of course.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Are there any indications that the newest 4K Apple TV will get 120hz support? I totally missed checking this before buying, and am really enjoying it otherwise. Just feels like a it of a waste on a 120hz TV.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Probably, but likely not until the next big OS release https://www.engadget.com/apple-tv-4k-120hz-thread-033604038.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The hardware is capable of it but there's not really any content above 60fps unless you count being able to play Alto's Oddysey at silky smooth framerates.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Folks still happy with HomePod mini as a sound bar replacement? Does having two HomePod mini's paired make an appreciable difference for movies over just one?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Violator posted:

Folks still happy with HomePod mini as a sound bar replacement? Does having two HomePod mini's paired make an appreciable difference for movies over just one?

I have multiples of each type. I would not recommend even a pair of minis as a replacement to a competent sound bar. If you can get ahold of the full sized ones, they would be good but probably not the best use of the money for exclusive use as tv audio.

Violator
May 15, 2003

buffbus posted:

I have multiples of each type. I would not recommend even a pair of minis as a replacement to a competent sound bar. If you can get ahold of the full sized ones, they would be good but probably not the best use of the money for exclusive use as tv audio.

Ah, good info. I’m using a garbage TCL hand me down sound bar, but it randomly turns off after a while and has a hard time connecting at start up so I was looking for a replacement and hoped the minis would be an easy replacement that was guaranteed to work with the ATV and would have AirPlay as a bonus. My hearing is smashed dog poo poo now for some reason and I literally can’t make out the TV speakers any more.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

And until iOS 15 you can’t set the mini as default speakers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kri kri posted:

And until iOS 15 you can’t set the mini as default speakers

I dunno if it was this thread or the Homepod one (or iphone one ffs) but someone claimed that you can do it now. I haven't tried it yet as I still need to get another mini but they claimed it works.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Despite owning every ATV since a second gen (bar the newest one), I’ve finally managed to kill a battery in one of the remotes. Kinda impressed, both that it’s taken this long and that it’s something that actually can happen before feeling compelled to upgrade. I guess it’s an excuse to buy the new style remote at some point, I get a few days per charge right now and there’s a cable next to my chair so not the end of the world quite yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is audio cutting out sporadically in YouTube for people? Running 4K with Homepods.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sometimes I turn on “reduce loud sounds” using the pull down menu at the top of the screen while watching Netflix or something, and then the next day I remember it’s still on. But often times when I remember it’s still on, it’s when I’m watching Disney plus or YouTube or some other app that doesn’t use the native player.

Is there a shortcut to turning off “reduce loud sounds”? Usually I’ll just jump into a random Netflix movie to turn it off. I assume there’s a way to turn it off buried in the settings app too, but both of those are clunky methods when I’m in the middle of watching something.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I discovered that AppleTV+ won't broadcast to Chromecast (unexpected but understandable since Apple gotta be Apple). If I buy the Apple TV 4K would it add the three-months of free Apple TV+ subscription on my current sub (it came with my Mac) or won't?

I use Amazon Prime a lot and chromecast is too finicky for my taste.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No it wouldn't, the free subs are new accounts only.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sometimes I turn on “reduce loud sounds” using the pull down menu at the top of the screen while watching Netflix or something, and then the next day I remember it’s still on. But often times when I remember it’s still on, it’s when I’m watching Disney plus or YouTube or some other app that doesn’t use the native player.

Is there a shortcut to turning off “reduce loud sounds”? Usually I’ll just jump into a random Netflix movie to turn it off. I assume there’s a way to turn it off buried in the settings app too, but both of those are clunky methods when I’m in the middle of watching something.

You used to be able to tell Siri to turn loud sounds on/off. Been awhile since I tried that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wish there was an option to reduce loud sounds further

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Even with it on, I'm constantly having to gently caress with my volume. It doesn't work that well using ARC to my Sonos system.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Even with it on, I'm constantly having to gently caress with my volume. It doesn't work that well using ARC to my Sonos system.

I miss the “night mode” feature from when I had Sonos. Felt it worked a lot better than the ATV one to reduce noise

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just checked and asking Siri to do it indeed works. Thanks!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got a few months of this in a free trial. As far as I can tell, there's no search bar, and there's no way to view my Up Next list. They don't put For All Mankind on the main page, so I have to go through google if I want to watch it. Am I missing something?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Kazzah posted:

I got a few months of this in a free trial. As far as I can tell, there's no search bar, and there's no way to view my Up Next list. They don't put For All Mankind on the main page, so I have to go through google if I want to watch it. Am I missing something?

By “this” do you mean AppleTV+? This thread is more about AppleTV hardware, than the subscription service. What device are you using? If it’s an AppleTV, Up Next is normally right on the front page, but I think that can be changed in settings, so you might want to check there. For All Mankind isn’t currently “airing” so it isn’t being promoted right now.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Today's tvOS 15 playback UI update for movies etc looks great btw.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FYI, the update turns the touch pad swiping back on if you previously had it set to 'click' only on the newer remotes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

FYI, the update turns the touch pad swiping back on if you previously had it set to 'click' only on the newer remotes.

Wow thanks for letting us know. I think the appletvs here are the only thing that haven’t updated.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
A lovely feature of the Apple TV 4K: it can be force a stereo downmix to the TV, so it won't loving the central audio channel and send voices into the void. Living in an apartment complex I loving love this since I don't have anymore to raise the TV audio anymore and end up fighting with Ms limaCAT.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Huh? Is that new? A setting you flip? I’ll check it out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stereo downmix has been there forever, any proper Dolby source or decoder is supposed to support it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

limaCAT posted:

A lovely feature of the Apple TV 4K: it can be force a stereo downmix to the TV, so it won't loving the central audio channel and send voices into the void. Living in an apartment complex I loving love this since I don't have anymore to raise the TV audio anymore and end up fighting with Ms limaCAT.

LOL you just changed my life. This should be a setting they ask you during setup.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are the screen savers even 4K? I’m often very underwhelmed by the image quality.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does anyone have a problem where the video (but not audio) of a show on Peacock just doesn't show up on their Apple TV? The program works on my laptop, so it's not Comcast's fault.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s probably still Comcast’s fault. Generally if the error is sequestered to only one app, it’s because they hosed something up on their end.

Does anyone have a workaround for why AppleTV is insisting I download and use Peacock to watch The Office, even when I bought the entire show on iTunes? I tried removing peacock content but it still persists.

Deeply, deeply annoying.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Update: I unplugged and replugged my Apple TV, and it worked. Hooray!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

jokes posted:

It’s probably still Comcast’s fault. Generally if the error is sequestered to only one app, it’s because they hosed something up on their end.

Does anyone have a workaround for why AppleTV is insisting I download and use Peacock to watch The Office, even when I bought the entire show on iTunes? I tried removing peacock content but it still persists.

Deeply, deeply annoying.

Go into your settings and stop Peacock from hooking into the TV or Channels app (I can't remember the names and it's all confusing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Holy poo poo, spatial audio with AirPods Pro and the Apple TV is loving magic.

I totally forgot that it existed, so I just put my AirPods in and started browsing around for something to watch like I’ve done many times before. But when the show started (the opening happens to be pretty loud) I FREAKED out because it sounded like the sound was coming from the TV and it was LOUD.

Took me a few seconds to realize what was actually going on, and this thing works way better than I would have thought. It’s pretty spooky actually.