Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh yeah, that mission specifically is really bad and there’s slowdown, you’re right. But like, 99% of the time if there are issues the framerate gets choppy but there’s no slowdown. It sucks but it’s not like it makes the game unplayable.

what :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s one mission that’s really bad but otherwise the framerate is fine most of the time, and when it gets a little bit choppy there’s no slowdown, so it doesn’t actually affect the gameplay…? I don’t understand where your confusion is. It’s not like the game is unplayable or the framerate is constantly tanking or anything. I barely noticed it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the stages that have weather effects get really bad lol. I was doing a mission in the zora stage and was just standing still with some lizalfos on the screen and the game was chugging hard.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

and when it gets a little bit choppy there’s no slowdown, so it doesn’t actually affect the gameplay…?

the game doesn’t have to literally be going in slow motion for it to affect the gameplay. if frames are being skipped that means inputs are being skipped which means your character isn’t controlling as well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Those stupid electric Lizalfos doing their attack fucks up the framerate if there’s a bunch of other stuff going on, for whatever reason that effect causes the game to chug a little. But, again, I’ve never felt like it caused my inputs not to register or made the game unplayable anything, it just mainly looks lovely.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Given the trailer showing them together, and the Direct text saying "Purah & Robbie" it looks like they'll count as one character for gameplay purposes. It says there's only one other aside from that, and I would wager it's Soogah given that he makes an appearance in the trailer, so Astor is probably out. Which makes sense, he didn't look like he had a moveset that would really be playable.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

We should have gotten Sooga and Astor as free dlc like the villains in the first Hyrule Warriors game were. They have battle models and move animations already. The fact that they didn't add them right away, and the first dlc pack came with the Guardian as a total surprise makes me think Sooga and Astor are scrapped as playable.

We also know those 2 plus robbie and purah had voice lines for switching characters, which meant at some point they were planning it. They must have decided they had better ideas though, so I think the last character will be a genuine surprise.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Now that I think about it given his appearance in the trailer and Revali probably talking to him in another scene, it might be Kid Sidon that's the other playable character.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Look at this scene of Link showing Zelda how to ride the Master Cycle :3:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Now that I think about it given his appearance in the trailer and Revali probably talking to him in another scene, it might be Kid Sidon that's the other playable character.

I hope not but its possible. I was hoping revali saying "kid" was referring to Link as a sort of snide remark.

I mean I say that but kid sidon might actually be super fun and funny so whatever. Only thing I actually want is Kass

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Given the trailer showing them together, and the Direct text saying "Purah & Robbie" it looks like they'll count as one character for gameplay purposes. It says there's only one other aside from that, and I would wager it's Soogah given that he makes an appearance in the trailer, so Astor is probably out. Which makes sense, he didn't look like he had a moveset that would really be playable.

If Astor ends up being playable I can see him operating similar to Lana but instead of using a book to fight he has his weird evil orb.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I hope not but its possible. I was hoping revali saying "kid" was referring to Link as a sort of snide remark.

Revali says "You're pretty good...for a little kid."

If it was just "kid" then yeah, I'd probably interpret it as him talking down to Link, but "little kid" is a bit different, especially when we see an actual little kid in the trailer. The only thing that makes me think it might not be Kid Sidon is that the text blurb says "one other playable character" and trying to hide the identity of the other playable character if he was shown in the trailer would be weird.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My money's on Sooga being the other character, given that he's highlighted in the trailer and has pre-existing voiceover recordings

mabels big day posted:

Only thing I actually want is Kass

:bisonyes:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Where Beedle?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm still deeply curious what "Added actions for existing characters" means. Extended combos? New unique action mechanics? New Sheikah rune?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Postman posted:

Where Beedle?

Beedle is in BotW so he hasn't been born yet, and Nintendo probably does not want to do the "This is Beedle's grandfather who happens to look exactly like him" thing.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Beedle is in BotW so he hasn't been born yet, and Nintendo probably does not want to do the "This is Beedle's grandfather who happens to look exactly like him" thing.

I feel like Nintendo doesn’t really give a gently caress, seeing as how Beedle is in both BotW - the last of the series, chronologically - and Skyward Sword - the first of the series, chronologically - without any sort of hint that they’re not the same Beedle

What I’m saying is, Beedle is immortal

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's already a bit of weirdness on that front, unless Kohga is supposed to be a wrinkly old dude underneath the suit when you fight him in BOTW, which... isn't impossible, I guess.

Maybe it's all the bananas.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Twelve by Pies posted:

I mean, there are characters in BotW that have either themselves or identical ancestors in AoC already. Including Kilton

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cattail Prophet posted:

There's already a bit of weirdness on that front, unless Kohga is supposed to be a wrinkly old dude underneath the suit when you fight him in BOTW, which... isn't impossible, I guess.

I was under the impression from early trailers that Sooga was past Kohga and Kohga had travelled through time like the Champions. Still think that would have been better.

Hell Impa shows ancient Shiekah lose like 3 feet of height.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

The Maroon Hawk posted:

What I’m saying is, Beedle is immortal

Beedle also appears simultaneously across over a dozen locations of Wind Waker's Great Sea, without the ability to fast travel in the way Link can. He is not simply immortal, he is a being that transcends both space and time, existing in a separate dimensional space to us and simply manifesting wherever we expect to find him

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Well Kohga can easily be explained by saying that its a name all the Yiga clan leaders are called.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If Kass gets dropped into a war and is expected to kill millions please change the thread title to "Kass will learn violence.'

There's something funny about imagining a beefy pacifist with a accordion being told to stop singing and team up with a egg to kill Ganon

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So the DLC drops sometime in the next day and a half, huh?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The date is 10/29 so it could be late tonight, it could be tomorrow, who knows!?

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1453496739999195155?s=21

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 28, 2021

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is japan gonna get the update earlier? I just wanna see the characters/movesets

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's very much looking like it's going to be the same release time as pack 1 unfortunately.

So Japan is probably getting it in a few hours, everyone else gets it 8 hours after them. Which, i'd honestly rather they'd claimed it as a Saturday release on the eshop if it's going to be out at like, 11pm Friday local time for me.

Edit: Oh hey this is up for AUS/NZ now. Was not expecting this reasonableness.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 29, 2021

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Why can't Nintendo just set things to unlock globally at midnight your time rather than having to guess the time in Japan and work from there.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Because the Nintendo servers don't actually check the physical location of your Switch, that's why you can get access to Japanese eshop stuff without actually being in Japan. So it'd be easy for people to get access to things before they're "supposed to" if they unlocked it based on where your account is set.

And I know your response is probably "Yeah but who cares?" and the answer is apparently Nintendo cares, because that's why they do it this way.

e: So hey it unlocked a little bit after 3 AM my time, neat. The EX sidequest that unlocks seems like it's just a way to get Monster Essence without having to trade for it. Nice I guess? The main EX quest that unlocks is where the real meat is.

So hey, people were complaining that there wasn't much Dynasty Warriors type strategy in this game, it looks like this DLC solves that. The big thing for the EX quests is "Memory Quests" which are special missions you need to fulfill in battles to unlock...something, dunno yet. At any rate, the first EX quest has three missions: one is to find a hidden monster and beat it (it's not that hidden, pretty easy), the second is to find three Hydromelons (kind of annoying but just break every crate and you'll be fine), and beat the level.

Where the interesting part comes in is, here's some of the Memory Quests from the next four levels:

- Keep the health of the Rito Captain protecting the Rito Child over 50%
- Don't allow monsters to break into the Kakariko Village outposts
- Don't let any Zora Captains flee

These are pretty interesting because one of the big complaints about the game was that enemies just kinda sat around and did nothing if you weren't around, and it was basically impossible for any allies to flee. Looks like this changes that, as well as a level where you have to prevent enemies from invading an area. I haven't played them quite yet so I don't know how they'll actually play out, but it looks like a good sign!

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 29, 2021

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Just finished all of the memory quests.

Most of the hidden third ones aren't too bad. One of them is storywise, really neat, but real dumb gameplay wise. It's something that contextually makes sense, but there's a really tiny window of opportunity to actually do it, and because hidden third memory quests remain as ??? until you either clear them or begin the process of clearing them, I forsee a bunch of people consulting a guide or something over it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Some of the new sidequests give you a new weapon for a character. So far the only one I've gotten is Sidon's. It doesn't seem like an ultimate weapon, though. It starts out with 36 base attack, and I get 60 base attack weapons for Sidon all the time. It does have an Attack Speed seal on it which is nice but unless it just gets massive attack gains on higher levels it seems kinda pointless.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The secret character is unsurprisngly, Sooga

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Those Lv 87 beatdown quests in the Coliseum would be tricky if I wasn't using a Lv 100 Mipha with a nearly 200 Attack Spear, as it stands they were an amusing but pretty simple distraction.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This certainly is more content, but some of the memory quests seem a little wonky. Nearly positive I scoured the entire Gerudo map and only came up with three berries, and what defines "an enemy invading" is clearly beyond me.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

There's definitely four berries because I found all four. I couldn't tell you where they all were but there's a crate you missed somewhere. They're only in single crates, if you find a stack of three crates, it won't be in that. One of them was on the wooden platforms you can jump down from on the left half of the stage.

That said the "keep an enemy from invading Kakariko" seems really difficult, yeah. Maybe it'll be easier to put it down on Easy difficulty? I'd hate to do that, but I'll probably give it one more try on Normal before I resort to that. I also haven't completed any of the hidden third missions aside from the Sidon/Mipha level.

It was kind of cool to get a tiny bit of backstory for Sooga and why he's so loyal to Kohga, and confirmation that yeah, he doesn't appear during the story because he sacrificed himself to let Kohga escape (at least seemingly, a later EX battle could show otherwise).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Astor's little cutscene was a lot funnier than it probably intended.

"Lord Ganon, show us a vision of the future!"

"Oh no, why are you killing us, noooo"

Of course Astor is the sole survivor, for some reason.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm a little unclear how Teba's son somehow ended up 100 years in the past.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm a little unclear how Teba's son somehow ended up 100 years in the past.

That mission seems to take place in the future, I think, which raises further questions?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's easy to miss Revali's line where he supposes the kid must have followed Teba into the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

How in the hell do you stop the Yiga Blademaster from sacrificing himself to fight the Silver Moblins when he closes the gates, do you just have to haul rear end to the end of the level beforehand?

Because I killed absolutely everything that appeared until the guy closed the gates before I could even react.