Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Horizon Burning posted:

the weird attitude of not wanting to turn a work of art into a franchise with several different types of adaptations that'll probably suck or mangle the source material, lunch boxes and a flamethrower lmao

yeah the only weird part of the equation is that the real threat was coming from inside the house :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah the only weird part of the equation is that the real threat was coming from inside the house :v:

So much for prescience! :haw:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

There is an incredibly cringeworthy rant about liberals that comes out of nowhere in one of the last two books
I recall some pretty straightforwardly on-point comments from Leto II basically saying liberalism leads to aristocracy and that there's something gross about hiding hatred as opposed to the "in your face" reactionary or whatever (not that the latter is better). I dunno it seemed surprisingly reasonable... maybe I haven't reached some weird part in Chapterhouse

The real cringe is Frank trying way too hard and in very weird ways to Figure Out The Gays

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 26, 2021

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Martman posted:

I recall some pretty straightforwardly on-point comments from Leto II basically saying liberalism leads to aristocracy and that there's something gross about hiding hatred as opposed to the "in your face" reactionary or whatever (not that the latter is better). I dunno it seemed surprisingly reasonable... maybe I haven't reached some weird part in Chapterhouse

The real cringe is Frank trying way too hard and in very weird ways to Figure Out The Gays

You could probably just extend that to his views on sexuality in general. It’s all pretty weird

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Drunkboxer posted:

You could probably just extend that to his views on sexuality in general. It’s all pretty weird

What old sci fi writer wasn't wierd about sex?

E: wasn't a Duncan Idaho clone made fun of for being a dumb old guy scared of gay in one of the books?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Also Iron Maiden were never good.

False. Though that song isn't one of their better ones. They don't know what the gom jabbar is! Paul wouldn't take it, that makes no sense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sean10mm posted:

Also Iron Maiden were never good.

*scoffs operatically*

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Mikojan posted:

My number one take-away from the movie that Warhammer 40k is basically DUNE and I love the everloving poo poo out of WH40k worldbuilding so yes, I think I'm gonna like this.

My boy, have you seen Dredd?

TLM3101 posted:

Melange can be translated as 'variety'. Hence, in Dune, Variety is literally the spice of life. And in oh so many ways!

Melange is also what we call a kind of coffee with milk in Vienna. No idea if Herbert ever visited, though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

IIRC, the critique of liberalism is one of the epigraphs, and those should be read with large helpings of salt. Really, any "wisdom" present in the novels should be read with skepticism because it's always stated by a character pursuing an agenda.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Nah, I believe it’s Taraza who goes on a rant about liberals. That said, you’re correct that every didactic statement or polemic has to be read in its context. Though Frank did seem fairly approving or the BG bureaucracy in Heretics and Chapterhouse

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ahh, right on. I'm not sure he approves of the BG in Heretics and Chapterhouse. They appear sympathetic by being familiar and providing perspective on the conflict with the HM. But a central point of those novels is how the BG has stagnated and must change or merge with the HM to survive.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sean10mm posted:

What old sci fi writer wasn't wierd about sex?

Honestly, it's just a relief when they're not obvious pedos,the bar is low

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't remember Clark or Asimov being that weird about sex. Asimov would talk about it occasionally and it would be weird, but not like in a concerning or obvious hangups kind of way, or even in the "jesus christ Stephen King, you didn't need to include all this" kinda way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

the weird attitude of not wanting to turn a work of art into a franchise with several different types of adaptations that'll probably suck or mangle the source material, lunch boxes and a flamethrower lmao

good thing dune never turned into a franchise that greatly cheapens the original work

Edit: I read zero tau recently and lemme tell you about 60s authors being weird about sex. All the women on the ship go crazy because of their lack of babies

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember Clark or Asimov being that weird about sex.

Except in real life, of course

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm sure they were but I'm gonna go ahead and just nor read any further into that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm sure they were but I'm gonna go ahead and just not read any further into that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neither of them have anything on Heinlein, and the less said about James Joyce the better.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember Clark or Asimov being that weird about sex.

Did Clarke even mention it at all?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

Neither of them have anything on Heinlein, and the less said about James Joyce the better.

To my knowledge Joyce was just a fart fetishist wifeguy. Not exactly the same thing as Clarke hunting for boys in Sri Lanka, or Asimov harassing everything that moved.

E: also it's more true to say that Asimov kept his creepiness out of his fiction writing only, since he wrote a book called The Sensuous Dirty Old Man :ohno:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My "Arthur C. Clarke Is Not A Paedophile" editorial in the Sri Lanka Times has people asking a lot of questions that were already answered by the article.

Seriously though were there any allegations, or is it just that he was a wealthy white man living in a notorious sex tourist city?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 26, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

“Do I presume that you need no explanation of sexual variations?” asked Sirafa.

“A safe assumption,” Lucilla said.

“Very good,” Sirafa said. “And you can administer vaginal pulsing?”

“I can.”

“From any position?”

“I can control any muscle in my body. And lest you get the wrong idea, the abilities I was taught are not usually marketed. They have another purpose.”

“Oh, I’m sure they do,” Sirafa said. “But sexual agility is a –”

“Agility!” Lucilla allowed her tone to convey the full weight of a Reverend Mother’s outrage. No matter that this might be what Sirafa hoped to achieve, she had to be put in her place. “Agility, you say? I can control genital temperature. I know and can arouse the fifty-one excitation points. I –”

“Fifty-one? But there are only –”

“Fifty-one!” Lucilla snapped. “And the sequencing plus the combinations number two thousand eight. Furthermore, in combination with the two hundred and five sexual positions –”

“Two hundred and five?” Sirafa was clearly startled. “Surely you don’t mean –”

“More, actually, if you count minor variations. I am an Imprinter, which means I have mastered the three hundred steps of orgasmic amplification!”

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 27, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

My "Arthur C. Clarke Is Not A Paedophile" editorial in the Sri Lanka Times has people asking a lot of questions that were already answered by the article.

Seriously though were there any allegations, or is it just that he was a wealthy white man living in a notorious sex tourist city?

The story by Peter Troyer in this Vice piece is about Clarke but doesn't name him:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bjxp5m/we-asked-people-what-childhood-moment-shaped-them-the-most

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The story by Peter Troyer in this Vice piece is about Clarke but doesn't name him:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bjxp5m/we-asked-people-what-childhood-moment-shaped-them-the-most

That is dark.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I remember the wikipedia article used to have a whole section about it but its since been scrubbed since the sri lankan police dropped the investigation and the allegations were only made in british tabloids so it doesnt meet their standards. theres a huge argument about it in the talk page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Arthur_C._Clarke#Recent,_validly_sourced_content_about_Clark%27s_alleged_pedophilia

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

stratdax posted:

“Do I presume that you need no explanation of sexual variations?” asked Sirafa.

“A safe assumption,” Lucilla said.

“Very good,” Sirafa said. “And you can administer vaginal pulsing?”

“I can.”

“From any position?”

“I can control any muscle in my body. And lest you get the wrong idea, the abilities I was taught are not usually marketed. They have another purpose.”

“Oh, I’m sure they do,” Sirafa said. “But sexual agility is a –”

“Agility!” Lucilla allowed her tone to convey the full weight of a Reverend Mother’s outrage. No matter that this might be what Sirafa hoped to achieve, she had to be put in her place. “Agility, you say? I can control genital temperature. I know and can arouse the fifty-one excitation points. I –”

“Fifty-one? But there are only –”

“Fifty-one!” Lucilla snapped. “And the sequencing plus the combinations number two thousand eight. Furthermore, in combination with the two hundred and five sexual positions –”

“Two hundred and five?” Sirafa was clearly startled. “Surely you don’t mean –”

“More, actually, if you count minor variations. I am an Imprinter, which means I have mastered the three hundred steps of orgasmic amplification!”

You don't even really have to post quotes like this to illustrate how horny the last three Dune books are, the plot of the last two books involves the Bene Gesserit going to war with an exiled splinter group of their order that has returned and mastered the ability to gently caress so good that they mind control the men they have sex with.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Very horny.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I want to see ⊃∪∩⊂ again

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

What sticks out to me was when Maiden wrote a song about Dune and contacted his estate about using the name, the response was something like "my father hated rock and roll, but the kind of rock and roll he hated most was heavy metal. And of all the heavy metal, the kind he hated the most was Iron Maiden."

Jokes on his dead rear end, I am grooving to a Dune inspired bongmetal playlist

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Missed opportunity with this movie to not have SUNN O))) perform the soundtrack. They could get like 4 or 5 notes out before the movie was done.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Missed opportunity with this movie to not have SUNN O))) perform the soundtrack. They could get like 4 or 5 notes out before the movie was done.

Loved the score in Mandy

I think O'Malley did it

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mandy's score was from Johann Johannsson. I'm a bit peeved we may never hear his Blade Runner 2049 score.

Edit: added extra "n"'s

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Cacator posted:

Mandy's score was from Johann Johannsson. I'm a bit peeved we may never hear his Blade Runner 2049 score.

Edit: added extra "n"'s

Ah good point, O'Malley (Sunn) was featured

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Wiki synopsis of the failson books gave me an aneurysm, they sound worse than bottom barrell Star Wars EU

Having long ago read the first five books I picked up Legends of Dune out of curiosity a few years back. Got to "Battle of Corrin" and decided that I did not give a poo poo about any of the characters or outcomes and just dropped the series as water under the bridge even though I only had half a book left.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

All the prequels apparently exist to set up two grumpy robots to reveal as the real Daniel and Marty when they finally got around to writing followups to Heretics and Chapterhouse.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m watching Lynch’s Dune right now and this is a hard to follow slog

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

PeterWeller posted:

All the prequels apparently exist to set up two grumpy robots to reveal as the real Daniel and Marty when they finally got around to writing followups to Heretics and Chapterhouse.

loving lol, I don't even know why you would need a followup to Heretics and Chapterhouse. They ended in a pretty conclusive place with Duncan finally whole, free from control and able to make his own destiny again. There are some loose ends but there are always some loose ends if you are writing history, and including that in your fake history just makes it all the more believable.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sponges posted:

I’m watching Lynch’s Dune right now and this is a hard to follow slog

The Spicediver fan cut is probably the best you can do with what was shot for that movie but there are still rough parts. If I’ve seen the theatrical cut it’s been at least two decades but I can imagine it’s very hard to follow given how much shorter it is.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Saw it in a empty theater (just me) and loved it. I'd always been pretty indifferent to the Lynch movie and the early 2000s miniseries. Denis Villeneuve can do no wrong with me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Except in real life, of course

At least Bradbury got out clean