Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FAUXTON posted:

I wonder if VR means something else for them then. Anyone have any ideas what VR might mean for a stadia?

Very Rudimentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Voluntary Redundancies

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I canceled my stupid Stadia subscription I never used.

Like it was kinda neat when I was using the GPD Win max which was kinda under powered but with the newer devices that can actually run the games decently the Stadia option becomes kinda worthless.

I've still got my $5 GFN sub till the end of time so its even more worthless to have paid for Stadia.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Stream VR games without equipment with this one weird trick that Facebook and Google hate!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
the best use you'll get out of that stadia box

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The United States posted:

Great place to hide drugs, too. It's not often you see a box absolutely nobody has any reason to open.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I canceled my stupid Stadia subscription I never used.

Like it was kinda neat when I was using the GPD Win max which was kinda under powered but with the newer devices that can actually run the games decently the Stadia option becomes kinda worthless.

I've still got my $5 GFN sub till the end of time so its even more worthless to have paid for Stadia.

thisl. when you spend $5000 oin fail handheld pcs it really shows you: This stadia product is a dud. of course for bringing this up on reddit i was targetted with icbms :rolleyes: would think these folks would appreciate a device to hide from their wives. but i guess for saying this ill be blown apart with a warhead.

TheScott2K posted:

Great place to hide drugs, too. It's not often you see a box absolutely nobody has any reason to open.

aboslutely. incredible to think falia users dont open empty boxes and look at the inside ever. the sign of a complete cluster fuckwomble of a product by google.

The United States posted:

this. however for telling them to put their projectors on a box i was of course stripped bare in the street and pelted with tomatos. real mature.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My point is that VR is literally not listed on any of those job descriptions. There's nothing from Google linking Stadia to VR at all, at least not here.

well its not like reading comprehehension is their strong point. for exmaple bear mace canisters all say not to aim at my face and spray and yet for telling the truth this is what i muse endure day after day.

FAUXTON posted:

I wonder if VR means something else for them then. Anyone have any ideas what VR might mean for a stadia?

yup. they dont know hat the word means, and frankly its hilarious. if i had to guess they would probably say its for "very red" which is what my backside became after i was hoisted up a flag pole and smacked with the end of a crane.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The core problem is you need a VR device at the end to be streamed to though, there's no getting around that. And for what you're spending to get that VR device... you can just have a VR device that works locally and makes the concept moot.

Streamed gaming works because you can throw it at literally any device with a wi-fi connection, a screen, and whatever inputs will translate to its API (hell you can overlay points on the screen itself to poke and stroke at. It won't be great, but it's been done before). VR's a whole other kettle of fish, especially now we're kinda-sorta seeing a standardized framework with OpenXR get agreed-upon and adopted and a relatively-standardized set of inputs due to Oculus establishing a pretty decent one (two tracked controllers, each with a thumbstick, two buttons, a menu button, grip button and trigger). So to stream VR you need to match that, and you can't really fudge that with a phone and a plastic frame anymore.

Facebook's (almost certainly) eating a loss on the hardware to make money back on software and being Facebook in VR. It still tethers to PC for SteamVR but you need a Facebook account to do anything with it. If you're on a budget and don't care/have a Facebook account, the Quest 2's what you're after. It'll also work wirelessly if your router's decent. Lighthouse hardware's (Vive, Index, etc) is also just more expensive because it's got more involved due to external base station for better tracking and sensors in the devices to calculate their own positions and send that on to your PC.

[office guy gif] Thank you! This. but the morons on the reddit would nt know about any of this and frankly, i dont think they care. theyre more obsessed with their bastardwaffling mole wifes and hiding inside the dry wall of the basement. of course when confronted with FACTS i was of course beaten repeatedly in the nose with a boxing glove full of cement and no one will od anything about it.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
They wanted stux but they didn't know that in a cruel twist of fate they would get stux

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
lol and some of you fools wanted to ban this guy. stux rules.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Freedom Trails posted:

lol and some of you fools wanted to ban this guy. stux rules.

:hmmwrong:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
stux writing is better than stux jpg

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Stuxholm syndrome itt

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

limaCAT posted:

Stuxholm syndrome itt

https://twitter.com/sezmohammed/status/1252500993972948992

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

:iceburn:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

That's new. I didn't know Stockholm Syndrome was weaponized like that...

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

rt4 posted:

Get Judgment

If he had judgment, he wouldn't have gotten Stadia.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

FAUXTON posted:

Very Regrettable

edit: Violent Regurgitation

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 21, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Time_pants posted:

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Time_pants posted:

lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Time_pants posted:

:golfclap:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Finally stadia is now on the xbox.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1441323654571122695

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
cool, it's like game pass limited

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Take that.. now you dont have to buy a console to enjoy... wait...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cloks posted:

yeah you can pass on it due to the limited number of games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Somewhere, out there, theoretically could exist a person who has a series X/S console and uses it to play Stadia but isn't subscribed to gamepass.

If real I will pay :tenbux: to find out what the gently caress

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cloks posted:

It's like a curated selection of wines, being limited to a smaller number is better

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Somewhere, out there, theoretically could exist a person who has a series X/S console and uses it to play Stadia but isn't subscribed to gamepass.

Just consider that the S will give you better graphics and latency than you will ever see on Stadia, but I am sure the dadiads will just come out with a "lens of truth" style blog comparing Stadia to the 3rd Xbox.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

HA gonna slide into the thread now to collect their winnings. Mostly because Google stopped allowing them to eat at the cafeteria because of Stadia's performance!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finally!!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PowerBeard posted:

HA gonna slide into the thread now to collect their winnings. Mostly because Google stopped allowing them to eat at the cafeteria because of Stadia's performance!

I assumed they were the one who stocked the cafeteria vending machines and just liked to hang around the Stadia devs during theit lunch break.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I assumed they were the one who stocked the cafeteria vending machines and just liked to hang around the Stadia devs during theit lunch break.

Hostile Apostle : Google Soda Stream Expert.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stadia being playable on everything would be a win for Stadia, but a loss for humanity

It fronted on this notion that it was a free and open platform that would be super handy and practical, with YouTube integration. I'm sure the idea that it was ever going to be a 'cheaper' option was just pro-Google press hype looking back. They have suites of free products, but they're compromised by ads and farming your info. Anything that's cheap or free about Stadia is just more of that in some capacity

If you feel compelled to play suck-rear end cloud-based games, Stadia being an app on consoles makes total sense, particularly with Switch which does not have the capacity to play these games natively. You have the controllers/Joy-Con on your system already, you don't need to buy Google's

I just don't want anything to do with their ecosystem of games for non-Stadia reasons. And I don't think cloud is There yet

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GeForce now is good enough for cloud. If I want to chill and play a casual game upstairs instead of the nerd den it works. If I wanna crush some skulls on a laptop it works well enough. I probably wouldn't touch it if it made me rebuy my games. This is where stadia fails mediocre platform and performance at higher than market prices (or you can join the $10/month club and get discounts similar to buying on the open market).

Stadia the financial advisor of gaming. Pay fees to do what others can for free regardless of performance.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Does this new version of Edge for Xbox support extensions? How else am I gonna run my sharpening filters for Stadia? Gotta obliterate all edges and make everything aliased.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spellman posted:

Stadia being playable on everything would be a win for Stadia, but a loss for humanity

It fronted on this notion that it was a free and open platform that would be super handy and practical, with YouTube integration. I'm sure the idea that it was ever going to be a 'cheaper' option was just pro-Google press hype looking back. They have suites of free products, but they're compromised by ads and farming your info. Anything that's cheap or free about Stadia is just more of that in some capacity

If you feel compelled to play suck-rear end cloud-based games, Stadia being an app on consoles makes total sense, particularly with Switch which does not have the capacity to play these games natively. You have the controllers/Joy-Con on your system already, you don't need to buy Google's

I just don't want anything to do with their ecosystem of games for non-Stadia reasons. And I don't think cloud is There yet

But I already have Gamepass on my Xbox, why the gently caress would I waste my time with an inferior experience when I can just download and play the games that Stadia offers in better resolution, locally.

Like a normal person who owns a console.

This isn't going to help Stadia at all. Just lol.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

But I already have Gamepass on my Xbox, why the gently caress would I waste my time with an inferior experience when I can just download and play the games that Stadia offers in better resolution, locally.

Like a normal person who owns a console.

This isn't going to help Stadia at all. Just lol.

If you already have a library on Stadia for whatever reason, having that library accessible on as many devices, especially devices with controllers, would help. A bit like already having a library of iTunes movies, it would be convenient to have them playable on non-Apple devices. I hate iTunes, am frustrated that I bought movies on it, but, having only 9 reasons to hate iTunes instead of 10 helps iTunes

Cloud-based gaming would be better across the board if it were flexible. Xbox Cloud should also be on every console for the same reason

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Spellman posted:

If you already have a library on Stadia for whatever reason, having that library accessible on as many devices, especially devices with controllers, would help. A bit like already having a library of iTunes movies, it would be convenient to have them playable on non-Apple devices. I hate iTunes, am frustrated that I bought movies on it, but, having only 9 reasons to hate iTunes instead of 10 helps iTunes

It’s not clear from your post if you’re wishing that iTunes option existed or if you already know about it. But just in case you don’t, you can link your Apple account to Movies Anywhere and then your movies will show up in your library on other linked accounts (Amazon, Play Store, etc.). I use this pretty often, except the opposite way. I watch stuff from my Amazon library through iTunes or Apple TV because their stream quality is usually better than Amazon’s.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Solid username for this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

It’s not clear from your post if you’re wishing that iTunes option existed or if you already know about it. But just in case you don’t, you can link your Apple account to Movies Anywhere and then your movies will show up in your library on other linked accounts (Amazon, Play Store, etc.). I use this pretty often, except the opposite way. I watch stuff from my Amazon library through iTunes or Apple TV because their stream quality is usually better than Amazon’s.

I didn't think of Movies Anywhere when I was writing the post but ya, that's a good example of consumer-friendliness in streaming