Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is just big budget live action superhero trash but for losers who grew up too cool for that sort of thing

Uhhh, since when is anime considered cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

its cool that they got yoko kanno for the soundtrack so at the very least there should be some good music which is one of the main reasons to watch bebop in the first place

john cho could really be a good spike who knows

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I think he's a big part of why it got made so I'm cool with it but my fan casting will always be LaKeith Stanfield

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm cautiously optimistic!!!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is just big budget live action superhero trash but for losers who grew up too cool for that sort of thing

The 90s, when liking mainstream anime made you a cool guy.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm him, the super cool guy from the 90s who is too cool for regular Anime but still watches Cowboy Beebop and Akira and poo poo.

Still a huge loving nerd by normal standards.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I was a sci fi kid and naturally gravitated towards poo poo like Ghost in the Shell and Neuromancer.

Then they started with the pillows and the 2000 year old dragons and what not.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fart in the rear end

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm him, the super cool guy from the 90s who is too cool for regular Anime but still watches Cowboy Beebop and Akira and poo poo.

Oh hi, there are probably many of us.

As for the trailer, it neither scared me away nor hooked me in - it's mostly a confirmation that they're actually going ahead with it. And yeah, the music may end up being the best part.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Treecko posted:

I thought Keanu Reeves wanted to be Spike?

What ever happened to Beetlejuice 2?

Where the gently caress am I?

That was back in the mid 2000's when they were kicking around the idea of an americanized live action movie, keanu was supposedly going to be spike

Anyway, it looks horrible.

(Live action anime usually is.)

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
There also seems to be a missing character

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anyone else think the characters were too young for their ~tragic backstories~? Spike was supposed to be 27 or something when it would have made more sense if he was mid-late 30s and Jett was mid-30s and his entire persona and backstory suggest someone who's about 50. I always wondered why they made them those ages.

Bula Vinaka posted:

There also seems to be a missing character

Maybe not.

https://youtu.be/Yq2N-9EmedA?t=64

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 27, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone else think the characters were too young for their ~tragic backstories~? Spike was supposed to be 27 or something when it would have made more sense if he was mid-late 30s and Jett was mid-30s and his entire persona and backstory suggest someone who's about 50. I always wondered why they made them those ages.

For an anime they're ancient. Maybe them being young adds to the tragedy of not being able to let go when they have most of their lives ahead of them. But probably it's because anime.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I bet it's gonna be fine. Not awful but not good. And you can quote that in the Sunday papers.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

this'll come and go and then bebop will just be bebop again

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/b_K_fu-mPNU

Long as we get this scene it should be good.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I saw the cowboy bebop movie in 2001. Thanks netflix

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Cartoon Man posted:

https://youtu.be/b_K_fu-mPNU

Long as we get this scene it should be good.

when she eats the first bite and Ein has that like “Yo, what the gently caress?!”look. It’s good lmao

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I can't believe that Pierrot clown guy is in the intro lol

Still I'm hype. Ein reveal was good.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
As long as they have the campy over-the-top bosozoku space truckers in it, I’ll watch it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Sgt. Politeness posted:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

He's farting to drive her away because he knows he could never fit his normal sized dick into that tiny, tiny mouth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Poohs Packin posted:

Live action Akira would be a shitshow.

Taika waititi was going to direct a live action Akira based off the manga but wanted an all Asian cast and the studio said no

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Obviously no remake would ever make me feel the same way as seeing Akira on VHS did at age 13 in some friends basement, it would just suck to see it reduced to an angsty buddy teen movie with DC style action scenes. Considering most films are written by committee these days it probably would be :shrug:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
This thread keeps reminding me of the cool art direction of the live action Ghost in the Shell movie and how it was wasted on a live action Ghost in the Shell movie.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Everyone is too scared to mention the fact that they really want the thigh licking scene from ninja scroll.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

The 90s, when liking mainstream anime made you a cool guy.

My wife & hit a few bars last night and one place a dude was on a date while wearing a my hero academia shirt. His date seemed into him and he was far from the worst dressed guy there.

:shrug:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Why is spike a grampy

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/_JDWm1f6-M0

A new teaser dropped. It’s certainly a thing!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Why is Faye wearing clothes?

Where's the thigh licking scene from Ninja Scroll?

:confused:

Mark it zero, dude.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Faye's outfit is fine and cool, and I love the campy vibes of this trailer. Chemistry between the core cast seems good too

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

itry posted:

For an anime they're ancient. Maybe them being young adds to the tragedy of not being able to let go when they have most of their lives ahead of them. But probably it's because anime.

yeah, 19 is middle aged in anime. Auron in Final Fantasy X is supposed to be 35. They either don't know how ages work in Japan or assign them out of a hat. It's better to leave the cartoon characters without a specific age but then what would you put next to blood type on the trading card?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Revins posted:

Faye's outfit is fine and cool, and I love the campy vibes of this trailer. Chemistry between the core cast seems good too

yeh ima gonna watch it and have some fun and maybe be somehow annoyed by some decisions but ultimately be glad those actors got work and the crew tried their best and hope for the future

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

yeh ima gonna watch it and have some fun and maybe be somehow annoyed by some decisions but ultimately be glad those actors got work and the crew tried their best and hope for the future

:same:

But I’m sure there’ll be plenty of Goons to tell us how wrong we are to feel that way and how crap this show will be.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I think he's a big part of why it got made so I'm cool with it but my fan casting will always be LaKeith Stanfield

I think Jon Cho will do well but now that you’ve said this I think LaKeith would have been ideal

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

sudonim posted:

My wife & hit a few bars last night and one place a dude was on a date while wearing a my hero academia shirt. His date seemed into him and he was far from the worst dressed guy there.

:shrug:

Yeah but you know they can never go back to his place or the jig is up.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Why LaKeith Stanfield? Has he shown interest in the show?

kntfkr posted:

yeah, 19 is middle aged in anime. Auron in Final Fantasy X is supposed to be 35. They either don't know how ages work in Japan or assign them out of a hat. It's better to leave the cartoon characters without a specific age but then what would you put next to blood type on the trading card?

Ah, yes. Blood type as a personality trait. Spike is a type O! :pseudo:

Cartoon Man posted:

:same:

But I’m sure there’ll be plenty of Goons to tell us how wrong we are to feel that way and how crap this show will be.

This was obviously a stylistic teaser. After the way the witcher teaser was recieved, I'm surprised they decided to release another teaser that isn't just a clip from the show.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: New trailer! :siren:

https://youtu.be/ULCIHP5dc44

Ok that’s starting to look amazing and is getting me hype!

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

This looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Faye still seems a bit off to me but that can be easily overlooked if the show owns. I’m getting a lot more cautiously excited but I’ve been down this Netflix road before and it’s turned out to be trash. The visuals in the trailer looked great, hopefully they didn’t cherry pick the few awesome scenes and the rest is awful.