Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I died the first time due to poor timing with letting people get staggered on phase 4, and then had to restart a few times cause of the dumb first part.

didn't help that I popped EGO too early and Gebura staggered out of it due to the wolf's immune phase. Next time I waited until mountain, and so I could instantly kill all the bats with the AoE slice, and by then Gebura literally couldn't lose clashes due to what, +15 power for everything? Mimic was tedious though, only she could hurt it thanks to the defensive buff.

e: mechanics question - when a card says 'unaffected by power gain or loss', does that apply to ALL sources, like passives and so on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Razakai posted:

I died the first time due to poor timing with letting people get staggered on phase 4, and then had to restart a few times cause of the dumb first part.

didn't help that I popped EGO too early and Gebura staggered out of it due to the wolf's immune phase. Next time I waited until mountain, and so I could instantly kill all the bats with the AoE slice, and by then Gebura literally couldn't lose clashes due to what, +15 power for everything? Mimic was tedious though, only she could hurt it thanks to the defensive buff.

e: mechanics question - when a card says 'unaffected by power gain or loss', does that apply to ALL sources, like passives and so on?

All sources. It does not apply to effects that raise the minimum or maximum bounds of a roll however.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Razakai posted:

The realization immediately after that though? That one can gently caress right off.

I’m with you here, because I think the mods I was using caused it to go haywire and lose two attempts that would have been successful if not for stopping me from following through.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

ZeroCount posted:

All sources. It does not apply to effects that raise the minimum or maximum bounds of a roll however.

So, that means the cards with inherent power loss like Scratch That become stronger.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RoboCicero posted:

By the way, I almost completed the game before I realized that if you click on an enemy die that could potentially clash with multiple targets (multiple of your dudes are targetting it with higher speed) a little prompt pops up and you can use tab to cycle between clash targets. I had just been laboriously making sure the last input was the one I wanted to trigger the clash with the entire game :negative:

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Chesed Realization:

Am I missing a mechanic with Scaredy Cat? For some reason he's getting a massive strength bonus on his attacks and mulching my librarians, despite there not being any buff listed.

e: found it, for some reason the ability icon wasn't showing up. I also lost in a hilarious manner where I tried to counter the instakill using the free 10 damage blunt card you get... with a character with Stilleto.

Razakai fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 26, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Razakai posted:

Chesed Realization:
I also lost in a hilarious manner where I tried to counter the instakill using the free 10 damage blunt card you get... with a character with Stilleto.

Hahaha, that's a new one. The usual cause of deaths in that phase is bringing Yujin and having them target the broken speed die. Deflect Assault really is just the worst passive in the game, huh.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Arcvasti posted:

Hahaha, that's a new one. The usual cause of deaths in that phase is bringing Yujin and having them target the broken speed die. Deflect Assault really is just the worst passive in the game, huh.

Deflect assault actually doesn't have a drawback, you're thinking of Overbreathing. And yes, it's a crippling downside, and yet Yujin's key page still manages to be awesome, which is... really thematic. If only Boundary of Death weren't a meme.

My best Yujin drawback story is from The Price of Silence. I was winning handily and wanted to be very sure that I didn't mess it up at the end, so I paused time. Should have read the card closer, it does a percent of max hp, and I lost and had to replay the whole long fight. Whoops!

Qrr fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 26, 2021

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Well, that took about 2 hours thanks to the retries. Even the successful run was like an hour of playtime. It does feel like the game becomes absurdly time consuming at higher levels, as you have so much maths to do in each turn.
I'm guessing it's only going to get worse though, judging from comments I've seen.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Ruina is good as is, but the Update Friday dynamic during early access really helped with pacing the game :v:

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Having a week to really chew on each new battle and cards and their implications for deckbuilding eased the pacing of the game a bunch, yeah

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Qrr posted:

Deflect assault actually doesn't have a drawback, you're thinking of Overbreathing. And yes, it's a crippling downside, and yet Yujin's key page still manages to be awesome, which is... really thematic. If only Boundary of Death weren't a meme.

No I was 100% talking about Deflect Assault. The drawback of Deflect Assault is that you have a lovely block die that will often get you deflected, and goes in front of your counter dice. In the example of Chesed realization, this means that you can't use a counter die to block the ranged attack, because it will hit and effortlessly penetrate your 3-7 block die first.

Overbreathing's drawback is pretty bad of course but you also get Speed II alongside it and the benefit is really good. Deflect Assault is just irredeemable.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

By the way, I almost completed the game before I realized that if you click on an enemy die that could potentially clash with multiple targets (multiple of your dudes are targetting it with higher speed) a little prompt pops up and you can use tab to cycle between clash targets. I had just been laboriously making sure the last input was the one I wanted to trigger the clash with the entire game :negative:

missed this and holy poo poo, i never even realized this was a thing

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MetaMeme posted:

Having a week to really chew on each new battle and cards and their implications for deckbuilding eased the pacing of the game a bunch, yeah

I think the positives can outweigh it but yeah that's the main flaw when you design a game in segments like that

that and power creep, the fun weeks where we just got fuckin murdered

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Yinlock posted:

I think the positives can outweigh it but yeah that's the main flaw when you design a game in segments like that

that and power creep, the fun weeks where we just got fuckin murdered

I... cannot think of any weeks like that.

It probably helped that I played at the end of the week after the bugs had been worked out. I feel like Dawn Office 1.0 would have murdered me.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Lobotomy Corp is definitely not my kind of game, but after reading TeeQueue's amazing LP i bought Ruina immediately and am now like 1/3rd through Star of the City. Any deckbuilding (or floorbuilding) tips or resources y'all would recommend?

My biggest help so far was https://aeonmoon.herokuapp.com/lor/. I am generally going with Singleton decks like a evade-focused yujin and charge-focused Rose.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

I... cannot think of any weeks like that.

It probably helped that I played at the end of the week after the bugs had been worked out. I feel like Dawn Office 1.0 would have murdered me.

i'm mostly thinking of all the sudden difficulty spikes in SoTC rather than pre and post-patch

though i do remember enlxmfflsdis was actually patched to be harder, like an rear end in a top hat

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Yinlock posted:

i'm mostly thinking of all the sudden difficulty spikes in SoTC rather than pre and post-patch

though i do remember enlxmfflsdis was actually patched to be harder, like an rear end in a top hat

oh yeeeah, I do remember my first try against them involved me taking advantage of the evade dice to force out Tiphxodia.

Then I realized the problem with using Tiphxodia against a dood who negates power gain/loss.

I got 'em the next try, though! :v:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

KoldPT posted:

Lobotomy Corp is definitely not my kind of game, but after reading TeeQueue's amazing LP i bought Ruina immediately and am now like 1/3rd through Star of the City. Any deckbuilding (or floorbuilding) tips or resources y'all would recommend?

My biggest help so far was https://aeonmoon.herokuapp.com/lor/. I am generally going with Singleton decks like a evade-focused yujin and charge-focused Rose.

As a deranged man who decided he should play through Lobotomy Corp before diving into Ruina, I think you have made the right decision. I look forward to joining you in another...hold on, let me consult howlongtobeat and subtract my current steam play time...uh, somewhere between 25 and 80 hours??? how the gently caress

Actually it makes sense if that includes all the time you spend on failed days before restarting them, things really went from 0-200 or so on day 22 when I started tackling the "suppress 4 different abnormalities" mission at the same time I equipped someone with a shiny new rifle (my first WAW gear) and taking care of a new magical girl. It took me entirely too long to figure out that the escaping abnormalities really were respecting their listed stats and were not the culprit behind my entire suppression team taking huge amounts of damage accompanied by a loud gunshot. loving Wagner-rear end rifle.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

As a deranged man who decided he should play through Lobotomy Corp before diving into Ruina, I think you have made the right decision. I look forward to joining you in another...hold on, let me consult howlongtobeat and subtract my current steam play time...uh, somewhere between 25 and 80 hours??? how the gently caress

Actually it makes sense if that includes all the time you spend on failed days before restarting them, things really went from 0-200 or so on day 22 when I started tackling the "suppress 4 different abnormalities" mission at the same time I equipped someone with a shiny new rifle (my first WAW gear) and taking care of a new magical girl. It took me entirely too long to figure out that the escaping abnormalities really were respecting their listed stats and were not the culprit behind my entire suppression team taking huge amounts of damage accompanied by a loud gunshot. loving Wagner-rear end rifle.

I cannot think of any player with that abno that hasn't had a team wipe to that fuckin gun

"Oh boy! A powerful ranged weapon from the abnormality that's all about making a faustian bargain for a gun that will kill it's loved ones! There can't be any downside to this!" every single player(including me) says, big brainishly

e: though it's a fantastic weapon for the early-game if you can remember it exists and who has it equipped(I can't)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 27, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razakai posted:

I am tempted to install a no grind mod. Spending 10 minutes on a long and tricky fight only to not receive the keypage you're after is getting a bit tedious.

There's really nothing wrong the no grind mod and I'd encourage people to use it, though I'm not sure if Basemod got fixed or not.

Arcvasti posted:

Quick someone find a 9/11 update of 6 speed die yujin. :v:

close enough

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 28, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

real neat custom reception (late star of the city spoilers). well i can't speak to the mechanics because it's all in korean but the art sure is great. coming to the workshop soon apparently

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope he goes back and puts the Ravens mod on the workshop, I could never get it to work.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Have any of y'all watched Squidgame on Netflix? It's a korean anti-capitalist show that could mesh beautifully with the dystopian world of Lob Corp, I could easily see it being S corp.

Anyways, I haven't played in a week because I've been psyching myself out about the (Impuritas) Binah Realization. I haven't lost a realization yet, but I've heard it's notoriously difficult. It seems like the individual bird battles require diffirent things, making it v. difficult. Any advice before I start it?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

IAmThatIs posted:

Have any of y'all watched Squidgame on Netflix? It's a korean anti-capitalist show that could mesh beautifully with the dystopian world of Lob Corp, I could easily see it being S corp.

Anyways, I haven't played in a week because I've been psyching myself out about the (Impuritas) Binah Realization. I haven't lost a realization yet, but I've heard it's notoriously difficult. It seems like the individual bird battles require diffirent things, making it v. difficult. Any advice before I start it?

The realization is a marathon so you want a good Light and draw engines on every nugget rather than settling for only good enough. Bringing stuff that scales along with the fight like Smoke is also a good idea; also a bunch of stuff has weaknesses to different damage types so Identify Weakpoint is a good card there.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

IAmThatIs posted:

Have any of y'all watched Squidgame on Netflix? It's a korean anti-capitalist show

the ending Blew rear end and threw away all goodwill the competence beforehand had setup, I dunno if it reads better in the english translation but I was shocked it got so popular.

IAmThatIs posted:

about the (Impuritas) Binah Realization. Any advice before I start it?

The Usual Suspects for boss battles come to mind (Nikolai for her teamwide +1 power, 50% damage buff and Battle Command, Xiao for her 3 mass attacks and strong burn, a strong Smoker / Kalos for more damage)
but if you've cleared the first 2 Impurity receptions, Olivier Discard to abuse Weight of Sin with Best Choice for sustain works wonders. A lot easier to win the damage race with +16 power, and it's fairly sustainable, too.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

bring a bit more light restore than normal. The last phase of that is a colossal marathon where light management is your biggest problem

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MetaMeme posted:

the ending Blew rear end and threw away all goodwill the competence beforehand had setup, I dunno if it reads better in the english translation but I was shocked it got so popular.

The Usual Suspects for boss battles come to mind (Nikolai for her teamwide +1 power, 50% damage buff and Battle Command, Xiao for her 3 mass attacks and strong burn, a strong Smoker / Kalos for more damage)
but if you've cleared the first 2 Impurity receptions, Olivier Discard to abuse Weight of Sin with Best Choice for sustain works wonders. A lot easier to win the damage race with +16 power, and it's fairly sustainable, too.

Why do you say that?

IAmThatIs posted:

Frankly there's no real tricks left at this point in the game, just continue killing things until they die. The realization versions are toned down, just use some combination of 4 light pages.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 30, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

IAmThatIs posted:

Just kill the poo poo out of Judgement Bird, focus it down and don't even bother playing into it's gimmick

also, make sure you have all 3 damage types and bring some copies of Identify Weakpoint

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Damage over time like Fairy and Bleed works wonders against the inevitable final fight of the Realization, if you can take out the Judgement Bird egg as soon as possible of course. This also synergizes really well with what you need to take out the Judgement Bird EGO itself - pierce basically destroys it and Purple Tear's pierce stance doubles status infliction. Building PT and Allen up with bleed-pierce decks will be invaluable, as will attributing Sayo to Binah for the +1 slash power and bleed infliction upon slash.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 30, 2021

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat (mid-SotC) Red Mist!? Her dice are huge! I can do extremely well until she goes into EGO form and then she just annihilates my entire floor with her mass attack!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Infinity Gaia posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat (mid-SotC) Red Mist!? Her dice are huge! I can do extremely well until she goes into EGO form and then she just annihilates my entire floor with her mass attack!

Turn off the boss' engine. If you play defensive, block-heavy decks (Walter's passive rides again!) and never allow Level Slash or Upstanding Slash to activate their cost reduction effects, the boss will run out of Light eventually and just not be able to play cards. You have to hold out for a quite a few turns like this because the boss will get free Light refills every emotion level, but if you can push them to Emotion V while continuing to deny Light restoration you've won:

Your new floor is also tailored specifically for this fight. Binah's deck hard counters the boss' mechanics, since dice seals affect the fastest speed dice first and preventing large melee dice from recycling is equivalent to just canceling them.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The easy strat is to use two teams. Load your first team with the Full Stop passives that give a one turn boost and Overcharge (whatever that big three die attack that stuns you is), second gets normal builds.

First team blitzes Red Mist down to half HP on turn one, bringing her into EGO, then just has to stall until she's capped out on emotion levels.

Second team then just has to survive the first turn, then she'll be out of Light for her big cards, so all you have to do is make sure you don't let her Light regen card hit 0 cost.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

The easy strat is to use two teams. Load your first team with the Full Stop passives that give a one turn boost and Overcharge (whatever that big three die attack that stuns you is), second gets normal builds.

First team blitzes Red Mist down to half HP on turn one, bringing her into EGO, then just has to stall until she's capped out on emotion levels.

Second team then just has to survive the first turn, then she'll be out of Light for her big cards, so all you have to do is make sure you don't let her Light regen card hit 0 cost.

Variation on the strat:
Use three floors, first one a normal one to beat the first phase legitimately and die horribly once she transforms,

second one equipped with blunt-boosting keypages, loaded up with the aforementioned Full Stop passives, fourth librarian (you only get 3 copies of Liwei') running the passive that gives a random enemy paralysis at the start of the Act, all running Oppo Spotted

And third one on Binah's floor to finish what little hp Red Mist might still have if floor 2 didn't murder her outright.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Geez, I guess the times in which I could just shuffle the same five keypages to every floor are over? It was bound to happen eventually, I suppose.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

Geez, I guess the times in which I could just shuffle the same five keypages to every floor are over? It was bound to happen eventually, I suppose.

But not yet. Binah really is designed for this exact fight.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I was struggling a bit with (SotC final row): Distorted Yan. The first time I encountered him, despite having Gebura, Purple Tear and a bunch of singleton decks which felt pretty good, I'd inevitably take too many mass attacks and get ground down. So I gave a go with Nikolai and another guy running Kalo with smoke, for lack of any better Speed III keypages. Absolutely annihilated him on the turn he used his first Distorted Blade thanks to mark+smoke damage stacking. Absolute game changer. Although I'm still unsure how I managed to beat Purple Tear with my previous janky setup, she feels a lot tougher on repeated farms so I guess I got lucky.

e: holy poo poo xiao is terrifying

Razakai fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 30, 2021

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I find it immensely amusing that (SOTC) Binah is so mad about jobbing to Gebura in the Outskirts lab that she overspecialized her new deck to dunk on the Red Mist to the point where it really isn't very good against anything else. Imagining her sitting in a dark room playing the VCR footage over and over, trying to figure out what went wrong.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Reiterpallasch posted:

I find it immensely amusing that (SOTC) Binah is so mad about jobbing to Gebura in the Outskirts lab that she overspecialized her new deck to dunk on the Red Mist to the point where it really isn't very good against anything else. Imagining her sitting in a dark room playing the VCR footage over and over, trying to figure out what went wrong.
What are you talking about? Binah is one of the strongest units in the entire game. Through the sheer strength of having un-nerfed Bleed the Fairy status effect she makes an otherwise "okay" floor (by which I mean outside of her Exodia setup her abno pages are nothing to write home about) into a top tier one. Any enemy that rolls a lot of dice - and there are a LOT of those since three hit combat pages coupled with a fuckton of speed dice are very popular in the endgame - is extremely vulnerable to her. She absolutely devastates two of the hardest bosses in the game, for example. And if you get that Exodia setup going on her she absolutely wrecks face. Also, Pillar takes a lot of very dangerous enemy pages and makes them stop being a problem.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I've had this argument before and I think it basically boils down both to playstyle differences and actual real-world time differences.

On playstyle: I have a pretty boring "fundamentals" playstyle based around winning clashes and wearing down stagger bars, then going for a one-turn kill, which you could probably guess because my advice for Red Mist is to just win all the clashes and everyone else was offering Full Stop type strategies. Binah's deck is generally terrible at clashing against things which are not giant single hit melee pages and suffers quite badly from light issues until high emotion levels, mostly because Fairy is cost-1-restore-2 instead of cost-0-restore-1 (you can see a little bit of this in the final fight when Binah becomes like 10x more useful just from un-degraded Fairy). As for the Fairy debuff itself...man, I get that it's really good damage value for your Light, but it can't stagger and all the endgame bosses vaporize in a single turn once you have them staggered anyway. If you need damage over time to cheese something Binah still ain't poo poo compared to a built out Burn librarian because Burn actually has passive attribution and key page support. Did we mention that Burn damage can inflict stagger?

On real-world-time: I think a lot of people who value Binah highly are people who have been playing during early access and are used to the progression track set out by the weekly content drops. Binah has the opportunity cost of preventing you from using a librarian you designed yourself. That wasn't a huge deal when she came out because the state of the art in deckbuilding was just boring singleton liu decks and losing out on your fifth will of the prescript/frontal assault/multislash attacker wasn't a huge deal. But these days the early SOTC general invitations offer you absolute degeneracy very early into SOTC, before you can even have Binah's key page. Now using Binah's key page is preventing you from using something like protection spam Udjat or burning flash Kim or support Irina. I just don't think it's worth it.

Yes, my favorite Briah floor is Chesed. How did you know?