Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Catching up on the thread.

Muscle Tracer posted:

thank you for posting this. i am watching this right now and it is loving sick!

:hai:

Simone Magus posted:

god i really hate this stupid Rabbid avatar lmao

what should i avatar next

Go back to the somersaulting kitty, it was adorable. :3:

Also I swear someone posted a link to T Square - Traveler as a point about game music inspiration/plagiarism and I thought it was in this thread but I can't find it anywhere so now I feel like I'm going insane. Anyway, if it WAS someone in this thread thank you because I hadn't heard T Square before and now I'm listening to them to get through my work day and it owns.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

drat, I need this framed on my wall. So cool and inspiring.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys should watch better call Saul if you haven't. Really good show. Better than breaking bad, and more interesting thematically.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

real gamers watch squid game. just kidding real gamers watch kaiji

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
squid game more like squid lame!!!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Them putting so much time into the Pachinko game was a mistake I believe. The ending however was loving amazing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

squid game more like squid lame!!!!!
well, maybe if youre talking about episodes 7 or 9

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Netflix keeps reccing me Squid game but It looks lame as poo poo?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"booyah"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Netflix keeps reccing me Squid game but It looks lame as poo poo?
it has some good moments but if youve ever read/watched basically any gambling/death game manga or anime its nothing youve never seen before. especially kaiji or as the gods will. very dramatic though

netflix as always will go out of its way to make anything seem way lamer than it really is though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But I already played Octodad

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I keep googling Squid Game, but it keeps showing me trailers for Battle Royale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jBLyIQvNf0

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

it has some good moments but if youve ever read/watched basically any gambling/death game manga or anime its nothing youve never seen before. especially kaiji or as the gods will. very dramatic though

netflix as always will go out of its way to make anything seem way lamer than it really is though

I'll stick it on the long list, but I dunno if I'll ever get around to it. I like that kind of tension you get when you see someone really grind themselves to dust, barely scrapping by, powered by sheer determination. But I doubt the show could hit that the way Akagi or Kaiji could. Seems more like a "that show that had the cute girls gambling in highschool that had a cool themesong" show but without the cute girls or cool theme

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you want some legitimate real life gambling check out The Genius Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQem4x_JGIg

Do a bit of googling to find the :filez: sub version of it.
First season is incredible, particularly the payoff.

Other seasons are very very solid, but the first season knocks the concept out of the park.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Splatoon 3 is the squid game for me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why would I do something that isn’t playing video games :confused:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Infinitum posted:

Sangmin is my spirit animal :allears:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Do a bit of googling to find the :filez: sub version of it.

Other seasons are very very solid, but the first season knocks the concept out of the park.

The Genius is pretty swag, but it isn't a gambling game. You either leave the show in the money or losing nothing but the value of your time True gambling requires the risk of loss. Of your money, your health, or your life.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Why would I do something that isn’t playing video games :confused:

But you can watch Breaking Bad to see Jesse play RAGE with a lightgun

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its definitely not as successful or tense as anything fkmt does even though, one of the games they play is just straight up ripped off of kaiji (human derby). biggest problem with it is just it being a streaming show, completely removed of structural constraints so it ballooned into a 9 hour long monster when itd probably work way better as a tight feature length thing. the last episode is almost the length of battle royale but, they spend a 45 minute long monologue hammering on the same themes battle royale gets across in like 5, after also spending an entire other episode with a morbidly obese billionaire that makes like 5 69 jokes to demonstrate the immorality of capitalism. but that marbles episode is real good so the world is full of contrasts

its definitely more kaiji than kakegurui though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's a super-campy Japanese drama called Liar Game which is full of game theory shenanigans. It's a really good watch if you're able to not take your TV mega serious

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's also based on a manga which is a looooot better

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the marbles episode is kinda masterful because they loudly announce to the viewers at the beginning of the episode that they're gonna kill half the cast, and the way it is structured there is zero doubt about which ones will live and which ones will die, but you have to sit and squirm uncomfortably until the characters themselves realize what's happening, and then accept their complicity in it, and thats where the drama comes from. its very effective. but thats just one hour out of nine, and most of them don't have such high aspirations

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the Genius took some of the Liar Game rounds and used them in their games right?

Infinitum posted:

Yeah the first season had most of the highlights (extreme ways are back again) but I also really enjoyed the final season tournament of champions stuff, also the poo poo that [redacted] pulled off in the final duel was literally the most "genius" stuff in the entire series

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Three Houses Maddening Difficulty trip report: it should’ve been called Frustrating Difficulty hehe

Some of what it does:
- experience point gain for all your guys is halved. This means you’ll have to focus on your core team from the very start of the game because xp is now in extremely limited supply
- enemies get inflated stats and some extra powerful passive abilities on top of what they had on Hard Difficulty. This means you have to micromanage your guys’ inventory because too much encumbrance means enemies will out-speed you and hit you twice with every attack
- new ambushes and reinforcements in missions. This means you have to do every mission at least twice, as not knowing where and when new enemies will spawn in guarantees that you ARE going to lose
- ambushes and reinforcements are now able to move and attack the same turn they spawn in. This means, see above

Here’s what I want: the option to turn some of the difficulty adjustments stuff off, Darkest Dungeon-style. Get on it, Switch modding community. Save this game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah the Genius took some of the Liar Game rounds and used them in their games right?
if theres a gambling manga chances are good the genius has ripped them off at least once. theres some kaiji in there too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Git Gud

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

so it ballooned into a 9 hour long monster when itd probably work way better as a tight feature length thing.
This is a huge problem with Movies nowadays, I watch a lot of "Classic" movies and I'm always impressed at how effectively they manage their time, especially given the contraints of the Studio system of the tiem. The new Bond movie is almost 3 hours long, does it need all that time? Certainly not, but people have accepted this overly long, nonsense so it's become acceptable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've come to revoke your Gamer card, please comply promptly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fire Emblem hard difficulties were at their best in the DS era imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gamer cards should definitely have driving license-style demerit points

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess mmo raiders do that already

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would like a game that captures the energy of The Genius.

Specifically in the "Extreme Ways" moments

Kind of like the Witness or Outer Wilds but with other people (NPCs are fine) involved

Edit: Same energy, when Yugi reveals his secret Dark Magician Girl stratagem

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't need to git gud, I was always gud

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Three Houses Maddening Difficulty trip report: it should’ve been called Frustrating Difficulty hehe

Some of what it does:
- experience point gain for all your guys is halved. This means you’ll have to focus on your core team from the very start of the game because xp is now in extremely limited supply
- enemies get inflated stats and some extra powerful passive abilities on top of what they had on Hard Difficulty. This means you have to micromanage your guys’ inventory because too much encumbrance means enemies will out-speed you and hit you twice with every attack
- new ambushes and reinforcements in missions. This means you have to do every mission at least twice, as not knowing where and when new enemies will spawn in guarantees that you ARE going to lose
- ambushes and reinforcements are now able to move and attack the same turn they spawn in. This means, see above

Here’s what I want: the option to turn some of the difficulty adjustments stuff off, Darkest Dungeon-style. Get on it, Switch modding community. Save this game

I’m not trying to champion Fire Emblem difficulties cause a lot of the higher ones are kinda jank and sometimes just bad but can’t you use the ingame save states for this until you run out? Except I think the mock battle which is really hard but even on Classic no one permadies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah ambush reinforcements have always kind of sucked but divine pulse will mitigate it a lot. You don't get it until a map or two in, though, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017