Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Fair enough reasoning for me. Surface level comparison looks like CT went more in depth, yeah. Having a hard time figuring out an approach for solo, personally, but maybe that's just the rules overhead talking. I did jokingly propose play-by-post to my regular group though.

As it turns out the charts & tables for asteroid mining in Beltstrike! became the MgT2 asteroid mining rules set, but I just used them out of the box and got pretty good results. Played a few sessions doing Bowman belter stuff, including three of the four folio adventures, and ended up with a decent enough haul to leave the system with a profit and only a couple of enemies; glad I decided my ship captain wouldn't space the pilot, because her skill levels saved the crew's bacon a couple of months later evading a laser-armed seeker ship with their still laser-less scout/courier long enough to get close to the local Scout base and call for help. Overall there are enough mechanistic/solo-play aspects of the CT Beltstrike set (between the folio adventures, prospecting/mining system and encounter/event charts) to run things entertainingly for a while. The Solo supplement helps keep things character-focused and has pretty good random encounter tables for events and ships, plus some useful tools for provoking inter-party drama. And that drama definitely took some turns: the fight was largely due to the pilot's boyfriend/ship's gunner, who turns out to be an escaped prisoner from an Imperial prison planet, meaning they're harboring a wanted fugitive. After jumping outsystem, I introduced a new character, the captain's husband, a burly, recently-mustered Marine (they met when she rescued him from a wrecked ship years earlier.) After some initial tension and some bonding experiences with Double Adventure 6, the Marine and the boyfriend are becoming fast friends, even offering the gunner laser rifle lessons--but the pilot hasn't yet let them know that her boyfriend was in prison for a crime she actually committed, he confessed to the crime to save her. In the meantime, after a few gunfights I decided they needed a medic in the party, and developed a doctor who has medical and scientific skills but also a long list of people who hate him.

Of course, a lot of the exchanges above are mixtures of random die rolls and daydreaming, but it's pretty fun, and good exercise for semi-improvisational gamemastering, which I used to be pretty good at a long time ago. I also like the mechanic of writing an adventure log/journal, both for record-keeping and turning the game into something resembling a narrative, and may make it a standard part of gaming from this point on, if only because it's so much easier to keep things organized, and able to tell boring-rear end in-character stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jetrock posted:

I have an Azhanti High Lightning box set but never really played; the impression I get is that it's basically a further development of Snapshot rules (as is Striker, in a way)?

The man-to-man combat part of AHL was Snapshot-ish: from memory, it was based in action points and was slightly less detailed on an individual level so you could handle more figures/pieces with less individual variation. Unlike that DEX 12 character in Snapshot who runs into the bridge, shoots twice and then runs out, closing the door.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I've got, and have run before, Mongoose Traveller 1e - is 2e worth updating to? What are the major differences?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

xiw posted:

I've got, and have run before, Mongoose Traveller 1e - is 2e worth updating to? What are the major differences?

it's p subtle, not sure i know about any noticeable differences.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

it's p subtle, not sure i know about any noticeable differences.

oh, they have a 'boon and bane' dice mechanic, like dis/advantage.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

SkyeAuroline posted:

Send help, Hardspace Shipbreaker has me eyeing working-class scifi again, including Traveller. Not in a state to run anything currently, unfortunately, so I'll have to live it vicariously through you guys. How did your groups get their start on the journey to riches (or failure while trying)? Official module, something homebrew?

A couple of weeks late but a few buddies of mine started streaming their long running traveller game as they couldn't meet up in person due to covid - so if you want more traveller related stuff but aren't able to play feel free to check them out: https://twitch.tv/boysfromthebalticstar/

I know bugger all about traveller but have been watching them and really enjoying it.

E: sorry if this comes across as shilling for some friends of mine - if it does let me know and I'll delete it

Fake Name fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 6, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Fake Name posted:

A couple of weeks late but a few buddies of mine started streaming their long running traveller game as they couldn't meet up in person due to covid - so if you want more traveller related stuff but aren't able to play feel free to check them out: https://twitch.tv/boysfromthebalticstar/

I know bugger all about traveller but have been watching them and really enjoying it.

E: sorry if this comes across as shilling for some friends of mine - if it does let me know and I'll delete it

I'm definitely going to watch these later so thanks. I started running a Traveller game with a bunch of friends just as the pandemic hit and we've been on hiatus since so I'm trying to refamiliarize myself with all the mechanics before we start back up. Watching people play is way better than reading the rulebook.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fake Name posted:

Pretty sure that's fine as long as you're not spamming all over the place.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I’m going to be playing some solo Traveller soon, and while I’m mostly interested in a sandbox in a custom setting, I’m curious if any of the official adventures are workable solo. I assume they have a ton of unavoidable spoilers for the referee, but just thought I’d check if that’s actually the case before I completely dismissed them as an option.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

chglcu posted:

I’m going to be playing some solo Traveller soon, and while I’m mostly interested in a sandbox in a custom setting, I’m curious if any of the official adventures are workable solo. I assume they have a ton of unavoidable spoilers for the referee, but just thought I’d check if that’s actually the case before I completely dismissed them as an option.

Classic Traveller Double Adventure 4 Marooned/Marooned Alone is a survival adventure that has a solo, GM-less option in the latter part. That could be a starting point.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

Traveller starships are based on two physics-violating principles: jump drive and gravitic plates. Interstellar travel is done with a jump drive, which turns a big tank of hydrogen into a rip in spacetime where you hang out for a week in a hyper-spatial bubble called "jumpspace" and pop out 1-6 parsecs away; this week is also useful for post-adventure healing, study, skill improvement, or "orient express on a starship" passenger adventures. Grav plates are used to provide thrust in real space of up to about 6 G acceleration, and artificial gravity within a starship. As a result, ship hulls tend to run tangent to the direction of travel, but gravitic inertial compensators don't toss you around too much.

The basic ship in Traveller is the scout/courier, 100 displacement tons, which is the minimum possible size for a starship. They are used by the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service, a kind of combination exploration, survey, and postal service in the Third Imperium. The ship can thrust at 2G and jump 2 parsecs, nothing compared to a military ship but better than most civilian craft. It's big enough for four staterooms (4 people, or 8 people who had better get along really well and will still get on each other's nerves) and an air/raft (basically a grav jeep, slow and open-topped but handy and cheap.) The Scout Service sometimes provides surplus scout/couriers to retired Scouts, including some maintenance at Scout bases, in return for remaining on "detached duty" which means they may get assigned military or security tasks by the Scouts if needed, but are generally free to roam about. It's basically a perfect roleplaying-murderhobo ship: free, cheap to maintain, enough to hold a small crew but can be operated by one person, plus built-in excuses to get the characters into trouble or advance a plot line by having the Scouts assign them a hazardous task/adventure. Others buy surplus Scouts with no strings attached, for use as adventuring ships (they're too small to carry enough cargo to be profitable, unless the cargo is very small and very expensive, which means it's somewhat likely to be very illegal) and others increase cargo space by reducing jump capacity, converting them into "seeker" mining ships. The wedge shape immediately registered as a Star Destroyer, and wedge designs were popular for Traveller, but this is basically the A-Team van of starships: enough to get you around, but not something you want to fly into space battles.

The Free Trader, at 200 tons, is still a small ship, but focused on maximizing cargo and passenger space. Its grav and jump drives are minimal, pushing just 1-G and 1 parsec, but about 40% of the hull is a big cargo bay. The ship has a regular crew of four, but ten staterooms, so generally six paying passengers can be carried, plus a bank of cryo-sleep tubes, known as "low passage," cheap but with a small chance of dying in transit (there's a common tradition of betting on how many Low Passage passengers survive the trip.) Enterprising free traders run along densely-s
paced clusters of stars called mains, since they don't have the range to jump farther, and are used to carry cargo from world to world. Profits from the cargo are used to pay off the 40 year mortgage. Older used ships are cheaper to buy but come with more maintenance problems; there's a rumor that Firefly was inspired by a Traveller game involving a Free Trader. So many stereotypes about scrappy crews of murderhoboes-in-space just barely scraping enough profit from cargoes and odd jobs (and crimes) to pay the ship's mortgage and keep it maintained applies to a Free Trader campaign, enough to fill the Free Trader's cargo hold. It can also hold two turrets of missiles, lasers, or sandcasters (used to reduce the effects of lasers through ablation), but the Free Trader is no pirate ship, since it's too slow to catch anything that tries to run except maybe another Free Trader with worse engine damage. Basically it answers the question, "What if the Millennium Falcon was slow and gutless?"

The 200 ton Safari Ship has a built-in 20 ton launch with its own small cargo bay, and two storage tanks with separate environmental controls, allowing live capture of exotic animals, even if they have to be kept at radically different temperatures or atmospheres, or even filled with liquid. Because they have a large, comfortable luxury stateroom and lounge with a big wall-filling window on the bow under the bridge, they are popular as noble's yachts, partially because the Traveller standard yacht looks like garbage and the Safari Ship looks like a cool flying wing. Plus, it has, no poo poo, a back porch that can be lowered from the main hull so the hunting party can have outdoor barbecues beneath the ship when it's planetbound on a hunting trip.

Here's a rear view of the Safari Ship, with the launch preparing for (heh heh) docking into the ship's (huh huh) aft docking port

The 200 ton Far Trader trades slightly longer range (2 parsecs) than the Free Trader in return for a smaller cargo hold, but it can go places the Free Trader can't. Also has extra Millennium Falcon looking cockpit.

The 400 ton Laboratory Ship is relatively rare but well known, a ring shaped design with a built-in ship's boat at the hub of the ring. While artificial gravity is common in Traveller, gravitic drives apparently interfere with some types of sensors, so the Lab Ship is designed to spin in order to simulate gravity via spin. When not doing experiments that require it, the Lab Ship uses its regular grav plates, but of course retains its spin-ring configuration, which is unusual for Traveller ships.

The extremely pointy 400 ton Patrol Cruiser (later retconned the Patrol Corvette when cruiser-class ships in Traveller were more clearly defined as ships in the 30-90,000 ton range) was voted "ship most likely to hail your ship demanding you prepare to be boarded for inspection" in its high school yearbook. Fast, well-armed, and extremely pointy, this ship was generally too expensive for Travellers and too hard to operate profitably (shooty guns and fast drives don't pay the bills unless a planetary government is paying them to regulate some space) but were often coveted for their insouciant pointiness and utility for dispatching/becoming pirate craft.

The largest ship in the basic/original Traveller rules is the Mercenary Cruiser, again not an actual cruiser, but an 800 ton flying barracks and transport ship for a platoon of mercenaries. Campaigns of small mercenary units were very common in Traveller, as the Imperium was a very light and barely noticeable government, unless one started messing around with nuclear weapons or psychic powers (long story.) Worlds without their own military forces or low tech but sufficient cash often hired mercenary teams as strike forces, security troops, or just a military force with plausible deniability. The MC is reasonably fast and long-legged, with enough firepower to keep small ships at bay and provide some orbital fire support artillery for its troops. The soldiers travel from orbit to ground in a pair of modular cutters, which also have enough room for a vehicle or two. The cutters can swap out special-purpose modules for troops, bulk cargo, fuel, or special vehicle cradles for ATVs or fighters. While the ship isn't very streamlined, it can land on a planet's surface, very slowly, using its "legs" as both thrusters and landing surfaces. It is also a relatively rare "tail sitter" design, with decks oriented in the direction of travel.

Traveller's alien races (the Third Imperium was mostly human, but with a lot of relatively minor alien species) had their own ship designs, with their own design peculiarities. The Vargr, a species of intelligent, uplifed Terran wolves (very long story) liked ships with spiky bits all over, and loud, contrasting colors.

The Aslan, a "warrior race" species something like a blend of Kzinti and Klingons, are vaguely lion-like, which along with the Vargr may lead some to assume Traveller players are furries. Only a few are, I think. There are also other species, like the Hivers, who are basically intelligent starfish. Anyhow, the Aslan prefer these swoopy, lumpy looking ships.

The basic Traveller game focused on small ships like these; what Traveller grognards call "small-ship universe" ships. But one of the early Traveller supplements, High Guard, allowed players to design ships that were much larger. I'll add some more about the big Traveller ships, and maybe the small craft too, in a future post.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Lots of very evocative art there, bringing up old memories. I recollect that the original trading rules could be pretty tough - early on in your career if you made a bad trade or the market was against you, you could very easily lot end up unable to pay your bills.

There was also the original inertial combat, taken from Mayday I think, that used vectors. If you weren't careful, you'd end up careening off the side of the board/table at high speed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If anyone has done a lot of mongtrav space combat I'd love an example, I find it very awkward

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sebmojo posted:

If anyone has done a lot of mongtrav space combat I'd love an example, I find it very awkward

I've found it to be not too bad if you don't get too into the high guard stuff and you make sure every NPC ship has an appropriate skill pool for its crew. Much like with everything else, it's almost all skill checks, but it's not obvious that it's all skill checks. It's also very abstract.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Well, 2300 AD for the second edition of Mongoose Traveller is out. They've put more effort into it this time, and it at least looks better. The problem with 2300 AD is that its a setting that I really want to play in and don't think I'll get the chance to.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 25, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I always liked that setting too. Low-key SF, lots of national character, only the one alien that was quite alien. I can remember very little about the actual systems used by the game.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

What kind of visuals do people use for traveller energy weapons when describing things while GMing? I'm going back and forth a bit on realism vs visual effectiveness, and I do definitely want to differentiate particle weapons like the one you're handed in PoD from lasers but i'm going in circles a little with whether I want to treat them all as just straight speed of light pulses or whether I want to come up with specific visuals for each kind of weapon.

Basically I can run fantasy combat all day but it turns out I have to think a little more when describing what people see when particle weapons are being fired or laser rifles light up a room - are they noisy, can you see the flash, etc. I'm assuming most of these weapons are charge-up-then-fire-a-pulse rather than targetted cutting beams by default.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

xiw posted:

What kind of visuals do people use for traveller energy weapons when describing things while GMing? I'm going back and forth a bit on realism vs visual effectiveness, and I do definitely want to differentiate particle weapons like the one you're handed in PoD from lasers but i'm going in circles a little with whether I want to treat them all as just straight speed of light pulses or whether I want to come up with specific visuals for each kind of weapon.

Basically I can run fantasy combat all day but it turns out I have to think a little more when describing what people see when particle weapons are being fired or laser rifles light up a room - are they noisy, can you see the flash, etc. I'm assuming most of these weapons are charge-up-then-fire-a-pulse rather than targetted cutting beams by default.

Just spitballing, but particle weapons might be largely invisible but the beam could ionize the air, so you might arguably describe them as having a crackling or sparkling effect, leaving a smell of ozone. Or maybe talk about them having the appearance of lightning.

Of course, they could have any effect you want but this is trying to reason a way into a description.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

nonathlon posted:

Just spitballing, but particle weapons might be largely invisible but the beam could ionize the air, so you might arguably describe them as having a crackling or sparkling effect, leaving a smell of ozone. Or maybe talk about them having the appearance of lightning.

Of course, they could have any effect you want but this is trying to reason a way into a description.

Yeah totally - i'm happy to reverse-engineer myself justification for cool visuals that work better at the table.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

xiw posted:

Some potential ideas that are afaik more or less plausible.

Lasers: in real life probably invisible, but maybe theoretically if they were powerful enough they'd superheat the air along the way and be visible as a flash of beam. They may sound like the crack of air superheating, and/or you might hear the sound of capacitators discharging or the sound of armor ablating. If it hit anything with a lot of moisture (like a body) then there'd be an explosive pop/crack of steam superheating and blowing up.

Particle projectors: I believe some of the theories about how to build them involve shooting an ionized pulse (so basically a lightning bolt) that the energy beam follows. So it might involve the zap/crack of lightning and would probably completely flash light up a room.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

Particle beams are generally shipboard weapons, and the kind that are usable in space are useless in atmosphere and vice versa (neutral particle accelerators vs. charged particle accelerators) and in fact I'm not sure if there are statistics for C-PAWS weapons in the game (vehicular weapons in MT or Striker basically go from plasma/fusion guns to meson guns) so they're unlikely to be encountered. Meson guns are based on the idea that mesons pass through solid matter, and "deep site" meson guns buried deep within a planet are the ultimate in air defense weapons that can't be targeted by weapons signature, so assume that in the Traveller universe it's safe to say that meson guns don't produce a visible beam, you know you're under meson attack when things start exploding inside your capital ships. Presumably if one was to integrate a charged particle accelerator into a game (the smallest application at Traveller tech levels would be a particle barbette, necessitating either a fixed defense or a grav vehicle on the order of a shuttle or small starship that doesn't need to leave atmosphere (since the particle beam wouldn't work in vacuum.)

Plasma and fusion guns are the closest thing to the stereotypical bolt of energy from a sci-fi weapon, in both cases an incredibly bright and loud gout of superheated deathstuff with the legendary recoil of Traveller plasma weapons.

Gauss rifles give a supersonic crack, so not too dissimilar from a CPR firearm, and the VRF Gauss Gun goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt. Presumably they solved the problem of arcing that eats up modern mass driver weapons' acceleration rails so quickly, but it seems appropriate for an electrical muzzle flash to be a part of the gauss gun's firing.

TL8-9 lasers are visible light & produce ionizing effects, while TL13 lasers are X-ray and thus perhaps don't have a visible signature except where they strike--although presumably, like their low-tech equivalents, can also fire with a visible beam for use as a laser designator for guiding in tac missiles or laser-guided artillery strikes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've actually got somewhere in my files an ancient (probably 15+ years old) post saved by someone from the old Citizens of the Imperium forum that paints a good picture of what space combat would be like. Its pretty drat long, lol.

Here is a copy I had saved to my google drive files.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What are the mining/prospecting rules/minigames?

Classic Traveller had Beltstrike. Mongoose 1e had Beltstrike too. Hostile (Cepheus-based) has Roughnecks, which is a more Alien take with a crew of about a dozen running surveys and drilling cores rather than one or two prospectors in a janky ex-scout.

I'm sure I've seen other sets, though. Am I just imagining things?

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What are the mining/prospecting rules/minigames?

Classic Traveller had Beltstrike. Mongoose 1e had Beltstrike too. Hostile (Cepheus-based) has Roughnecks, which is a more Alien take with a crew of about a dozen running surveys and drilling cores rather than one or two prospectors in a janky ex-scout.

I'm sure I've seen other sets, though. Am I just imagining things?

MgT2 included the Beltstrike mining rules in the core rules system, which I realized after running Beltstrike as a solo game from the box set rules, then realizing they're right there in the core rulebook. So it's pretty much all Beltstrike, unless d20 did something different.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

nonathlon posted:

I played a lot of Twilight 2000. We had a great time. I can't say the system was good, more functional, but we liked the setting - a bunch of tooled veterans, running low on supplies, food everything, rolling around a devastated Poland as everything falls apart.

Whoa big time flashback here. I used to have a couple of friends that played, same experience - had fun rolling into places we couldn't pronounce to scrounge for ammmo/fuel/food.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

Whoa big time flashback here. I used to have a couple of friends that played, same experience - had fun rolling into places we couldn't pronounce to scrounge for ammmo/fuel/food.

The setting had a lot going for it: gritty, in a culture and place that doesn't get used in RPGs, even if you have a tank your power is throttled by fuel and ammo availability. Some of the more conventional settings they came up with (Afghanistan) were a bit bland by contrast.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I got to play two sessions of the Drinax campaign as part of an off run game while two players from the regular campaign were out having a kid. The DM was testing the waters for a future campaign and we tried out a few systems. We spent the entire two sessions dicking around on the floating palace and getting into entirely ad-libbed shenanigans with a rotating cast of overeducated, overtitled dinguses floating around up there. Meaningless revenge plots were attempted, thefts were completed and we basically acted like bulls in a china shop in that hothouse of bottled intrigue.

It was a lot of fun and we never even got to the harrier. It was a bit of emergent gameplay since I later bought the Drinax books and found out all that setting is basically supposed to just be a mildly interesting backdrop before flying off into space.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

EverettLO posted:

I got to play two sessions of the Drinax campaign as part of an off run game while two players from the regular campaign were out having a kid. The DM was testing the waters for a future campaign and we tried out a few systems. We spent the entire two sessions dicking around on the floating palace and getting into entirely ad-libbed shenanigans with a rotating cast of overeducated, overtitled dinguses floating around up there. Meaningless revenge plots were attempted, thefts were completed and we basically acted like bulls in a china shop in that hothouse of bottled intrigue.

It was a lot of fun and we never even got to the harrier. It was a bit of emergent gameplay since I later bought the Drinax books and found out all that setting is basically supposed to just be a mildly interesting backdrop before flying off into space.

it's a bit more than that, (the later stages of the campaign involve a fair bit of palace stuff) but yeah. Pirates of Drinax is huuuuge. Such a good campaign, i ran the first and second (of ten) and that took a year and a half.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Just popping into say that Traveller is awesome and I love the thread title!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What Traveller should I buy in 2022? My FLGS said Cepheus, but what say you, Traveller Nerds.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CitizenKeen posted:

What Traveller should I buy in 2022? My FLGS said Cepheus, but what say you, Traveller Nerds.

mongoose v2 imo, and poirats of droinax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4u7vvsMiAU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CitizenKeen posted:

The 2022 new core is good.

Also playing an Aslan with melee(natural) 3 feels like an absolute badass in close quarters, you just parry everything effortlessly and hack your way through.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panzeh posted:

Also playing an Aslan with melee(natural) 3 feels like an absolute badass in close quarters, you just parry everything effortlessly and hack your way through.

tbf i haven't played cepheus, i don't actually have strong views on whether it's better than mongoose. mongtrav is good, but i wouldn't call it perfect.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sebmojo posted:

tbf i haven't played cepheus, i don't actually have strong views on whether it's better than mongoose. mongtrav is good, but i wouldn't call it perfect.

cepheus is fine, but it's kinda bare bones for what you get

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panzeh posted:

Does it do anything about things scaling towards "endgame" any better? Its been a few years since I played and I'm dealing with crippling sleep deprivation right now so its hard to remember details (I'd have to ask the guy that did all the ref'ing for better details) but we had some issues with things getting too easy and combat being super killy once we stacked up some skillpoints and good equipment with a prior version of Mongoose.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Does it do anything about things scaling towards "endgame" any better? Its been a few years since I played and I'm dealing with crippling sleep deprivation right now so its hard to remember details (I'd have to ask the guy that did all the ref'ing for better details) but we had some issues with things getting too easy and combat being super killy once we stacked up some skillpoints and good equipment with a prior version of Mongoose.

Not particularly- you do kinda have to be careful about letting people have high skills, especially with +2 attribute bonuses. I kinda see it with the melee beast character I have, where you're so far up on the 2d6 curve you barely ever miss.

If you let the chargen work normally and you don't let people go nuts with anagathics you shouldn't have this problem, but yeah, a skill point or attribute bonus ends up being worth quite a bit and it is very possible to get stacked up enough that 8+ checks are trivial.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I tried to run 2300 AD. It didn't go well. T ried to do space combat and it completely fell apart.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Was Taveller5 any good? The slipcase set form factor is cute.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Siivola posted:

Was Taveller5 any good? The slipcase set form factor is cute.

Unplayable. Interesting in a ‘I can’t believe someone published this’ kind of way.

Mongoose 2e is pretty good and has the best production quality so if you’re just getting into it that’s what I’d go with. Cepheus is fine and probably better if you’re planning on adapting the system onto a different type of game (like barbaric or sword of cepheus).

If you’re a rules-light kind of table there’s nothing really wrong with classic traveller tbh, there’s a reprint pdf for a buck on drivethru that is worth picking up regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lord Yod posted:

Unplayable. Interesting in a ‘I can’t believe someone published this’ kind of way.
Wow, what happened?