Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Boxleitner isn't and you can be sure he's going to demand a piece of this.

Hell, he could play President Clark since he already played an evil cryptofascist POTUS on Supergirl.

And he’s a right wing major chud so it’s not even really acting for him. He and Mr. Garibaldi would regularly show up on the Michael savage show. Garibaldi even ended up guest hosting for Michael savage at one point before becoming a talk show host on his own right.

Stoked about b 5 though. JMS is legit an awesome writer/geek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

The Klowner posted:

hasn't he been trying to get this greeenlit for the last twenty years or something? good for him that he's finally getting the ball rolling

There was apparently some executive who personally hated JMS and B5. That person has now retired, which is why it is suddenly on HBO in HD and now getting a reboot!

JMS is on Twitter all the time and very responsive, for better or worse.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There was apparently some executive who personally hated JMS and B5. That person has now retired, which is why it is suddenly on HBO in HD and now getting a reboot!

JMS is on Twitter all the time and very responsive, for better or worse.

He hasn’t left his house in like 2 years because of COVID and is just an On the spectrum writer nerd. He’s kinda awesome honestly.

He also didn’t get nearly enough credit for writing strong women they were multi dimensional in the 90s when everybody was fawning over josh Wedons writing of women

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

On the other hand I was sure that season 2 of Ted lasso would be great and the writers are solidly loving it up, so….

lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I mean, it’s still good. But season 1 is lightening in a bottle great. Season 2 already has a half a dozen major flaws including a borderline (or just straight is ) a racist stereotype, a hugely problematic romance that is so tone deaf I can’t believe they didn’t see it’s lovely, and when that wasn’t enough they just threw in a boring love triangle because they don’t know what to do with two or three of the characters.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Azhais posted:

If it's a full reboot he could even play something like Sinclair

This is the 2020s he could play Delenn.

I'm curious how they try to recapture the magic with a new Londo and G'Kar. Everyone else ranged from "there" to "pretty good" with some real highs and lows but those two were on another level and willing to do it all with weirdass alien hair and makeup.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

LionArcher posted:

I mean, it’s still good. But season 1 is lightening in a bottle great. Season 2 already has a half a dozen major flaws including a borderline (or just straight is ) a racist stereotype, a hugely problematic romance that is so tone deaf I can’t believe they didn’t see it’s lovely, and when that wasn’t enough they just threw in a boring love triangle because they don’t know what to do with two or three of the characters.

Are you talking about the Dutch guy?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Are you talking about the Dutch guy?

The psychologist. She’s great, but there’s a common trope that poc teachers in media refer to as “magic n word character”. I was not worried about the trope too much, but as the show has gone on she’s getting closer and closer to that, here to help everyone who’s white/main characters and then ride off into the sunset on her magically/umbrella-bike.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Evil is a fuckin weird rear end show

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mostly because you watch it and you think "Ah, ok, this is a scam. Wait, now it's real? Oh, it really was just a scam. Wait, wtf it's real again?"

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Medullah posted:

The Kings really are good at writing lead women who are truly unlikable. By the end of the Good wife she was the worst, and it only took two seasons to do the same with Evil.

Edit. This is not a criticism. It's actually impressive, and the actors are doing a killer job with weird as poo poo material.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Good Wife has a jaw dropping scene where the protagonist admits that she doesn't think she loves her children. And it's actually built up pretty well and doesn't come out of nowhere. She also knows her husband is a piece of poo poo but keeps the political marriage alive for the benefits.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Speaking of JMS

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202?s=21

Click link for entire thread. Answers a few questions I had.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The first show I'm super psyched about other than Wheel of Time. I know we're years off if he's writing the pilot but drat.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I still haven't seen past S2 of B5, but this sounds awesome.

Can we do a Farscape reboot next please?

just kidding. don't kill me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know what gets me?

The positivity in that thread from fans. So so rare to get that these days.

I have to say, I'm pumped myself. I was putting off watching the remastered B5 on HBO Max because it hasn't been that long since I went through the series, but I think it's time to go through it again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Amiga fans gonna be pissed if they don’t use Lightwave.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of JMS

He probably knows that trying to capture the same magic as B5 is a doomed effort, and he mentions Westworld and Battlestar probably because he plans to do something completely new with the basic concept. I'd expect at best a lot of casual references to the original, some original cast in new roles, but otherwise something very different.

Wonder if they'll let him do a 5 year start to finish planned ending if it gets that far. Supernatural was originally like that but was too successful for them to let go of. Plus, he's not even written the pilot yet, so it's like 2 years out unless the CW is going to throw money at it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm excited, not gonna lie. Hoping we get some good stuff out of this explosion of Sandman/RTD Who/Babylon 5 /Wheel Of Time/Witcher/Game Of Thrones. But I'm worried that most of these shows won't have momentum, because of large gaps between seasons/long development times/lack of IT factor energy.

Makes me happy that smaller shows, like The Other Two, exists. Just got renewed for season 3.

Medullah posted:

The opening music video this episode was so good. Following it up by the regular cast doing a bunch of "what the gently caress is even going on" reactions, was the chef's kiss though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Other Two s2 was so so loving good and Doc Sharon isn’t a racial stereotype at all what the hell, is my response to the posts made while I was asleep that I actually care about (someone make a Babylon 5 thread, quick!!)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pentyne posted:

Wonder if they'll let him do a 5 year start to finish planned ending if it gets that far. Supernatural was originally like that but was too successful for them to let go of. Plus, he's not even written the pilot yet, so it's like 2 years out unless the CW is going to throw money at it.

If I remember correctly he always planned for four seasons, and that is why the fifth one feels so out of place.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Super happy about The Other Two being renewed. It seems so unlikely that this show is surviving, but it's great that it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oasx posted:

If I remember correctly he always planned for four seasons, and that is why the fifth one feels so out of place.

It was planned for 5, but it looked like it was going to be cancelled after 4 so JMS rushed plots to try to wrap up as much as possible which then left things thin for the 5th season.

A lot of stuff with the rogue telepaths would have been better plotted had he not thought the 4th season was going to be the end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If the reboot is 5x13 episodes that could be a big improvement since the writers don't need to take cocaine to finish their work

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

bull3964 posted:

It was planned for 5, but it looked like it was going to be cancelled after 4 so JMS rushed plots to try to wrap up as much as possible which then left things thin for the 5th season.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

bull3964 posted:

Super happy about The Other Two being renewed. It seems so unlikely that this show is surviving, but it's great that it is.

As soon as I finished watching season 2 I still wanted more so I started rewatching some of 1.

A big highlight of the show is there are no characters or character combinations that I don't enjoy. Everyone in that cast is killing it and it's just a joy to watch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of JMS

Woohoo?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I read that a Quantum Leap revival/reboot has entered into serious 'talks' or negotiations or whatever you wanna call it when money starts being secured. (Talking out my rear end about the money part, I assume thats what 'serious' means though)

*edit* I read it from here! https://twitter.com/THR/status/1440071422525673474

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LionArcher posted:

And he’s a right wing major chud so it’s not even really acting for him. He and Mr. Garibaldi would regularly show up on the Michael savage show. Garibaldi even ended up guest hosting for Michael savage at one point before becoming a talk show host on his own right.

Stoked about b 5 though. JMS is legit an awesome writer/geek.

Jerry Doyle had a fascinatingly weird professional life. He got a BS in Aeronautics at Embry-Riddle (possibly the top aviation university in the world) and a pilot license, went on to become a private jet pilot and stockbroker until suddenly he dropped everything at the age of 35 to become an actor. After B5 he pivoted again into chud talk show host. It’s insane.

Fun fact: that one time Garibaldi said that all of society’s problems could be solved with “electric bleachers” instead of electric chairs was something Doyle said in complete seriousness. JMS happened to overhear him and decided to gently caress with him by adding the line to the script.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 28, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621160529661952?s=21

The creative freedom is definitely great and it’s awesome that he’s being so supported but I can’t help but think of how he got screwed over by Hollywood Accounting last time around (“if a Warner Bros. set burns down in Botswana, they deduct it from B5’s profits”). Wonder if this time he’s getting a piece of the gross (I doubt it).

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 28, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sekhmnet posted:

I read that a Quantum Leap revival/reboot has entered into serious 'talks' or negotiations or whatever you wanna call it when money starts being secured. (Talking out my rear end about the money part, I assume thats what 'serious' means though)
I'm not sure how to react to this, as someone who watched every episode during the original run religiously.

Twenty-eight years later I still feel spited by that ending.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This was a fun video about getting a TV show made

https://twitter.com/saraschaefer1/status/1421622886574395393?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AceOfFlames posted:

Fun fact: that one time Garibaldi said that all of society’s problems could be solved with “electric bleachers” instead of electric chairs was something Doyle said in complete seriousness. JMS happened to overhear him and decided to gently caress with him by adding the line to the script.

So how did that own him

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This is kind of funny because I've been following JMS at a distance for years, just kind of poking my nose in and seeing what he was up to. He has always said that anything B5 related, remasters, sequels, prequels, reboots, even just basic upscaling to HD was all impossible. Now, suddenly, here we are and all of those things seem possible or are already happening!

Really wondering who the stick in the mud was for the last 20 years.

Oasx posted:

It was originally planned as 5, but I think there were cancellation fears during the production of 4, so they wrapped up a lot of the big war plots? Then some padding had to be added to S5 for the things they stole.

I might be wrong, but I think the second-to-last episode of S5 was the original S4 ending when they thought it was getting canned.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is kind of funny because I've been following JMS at a distance for years, just kind of poking my nose in and seeing what he was up to. He has always said that anything B5 related, remasters, sequels, prequels, reboots, even just basic upscaling to HD was all impossible. Now, suddenly, here we are and all of those things seem possible or are already happening!

Really wondering who the stick in the mud was for the last 20 years.

It was originally planned as 5, but I think there were cancellation fears during the production of 4, so they wrapped up a lot of the big war plots? Then some padding had to be added to S5 for the things they stole.

I might be wrong, but I think the second-to-last episode of S5 was the original S4 ending when they thought it was getting canned.

iirc JMS has said that there was some high up exec at WB that really really hated JMS and or B5 and would personally shoot down anything related to it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The S5 ending was always going to be the S4 ending, it was shot as part of S4 (and the replacement episode was shot as part of S5)
It'd be interesting to see if this time he does the original idea for B5 as he changed plans in between S1 and S2, partly because Michael O'Hare was really not dealing well with his schizophrenia - that had B5 as a 5 season series and then a sequel series also planned to run 5 years with a much smaller core cast.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/apbattman/status/1442614248459288582

Stellan Skarsgard accurately diagnosis what the "problem" with the film industry is today. (and why that's benefited TV)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

So how did that own him

This was still back in the halcyon days where people still thought chuds had the minimum amount of self-awareness and shame required to be owned.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Mostly because you watch it and you think "Ah, ok, this is a scam. Wait, now it's real? Oh, it really was just a scam. Wait, wtf it's real again?"

I've been trying to figure out how much we're seeing is actually real. There's been a lot of things such as character spoiler Lexis' tail which I'm like this can't be what's actually happening here. I think most importantly, they've set up the show in such a way that I don't care what's real and what isn't- I'm absolutely along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watched Squid Game and Alice in Borderland recently. Both pretty good deadly-gameshow shows. I think I liked the latter more since I hadn't guessed the twist at any point, or rather, the big reveal of what's behind it all wasn't revealed whatsoever. Unfortunately I looked it up and it's based on a manga and the manga ending is basically exactly the one thing I think would retroactively make sour on the whole thing. Dunno if the Netflix version will keep that ending, so I'll still check out season 2.