Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Hughmoris posted:

I haven't seen much on the game's economy. Is there an economy similar to WoW? Auction-houses, selling crap to vendors, selling crap to players etc?

Yes lots of crafting and gathering resources and the auction house is just like most MMOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

I haven't seen much on the game's economy. Is there an economy similar to WoW? Auction-houses, selling crap to vendors, selling crap to players etc?

Yes. The player economy is much more of a deal here though, since there's no vendors to sell your old junk to.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Got deluxe edition for 15 buckaroos because i live in a country with brightly colored highly unstable monopoly money. Aint I lucky.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

err posted:

Yes lots of crafting and gathering resources and the auction house is just like most MMOs

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yes. The player economy is much more of a deal here though, since there's no vendors to sell your old junk to.

Thanks. I'm not too in to pvp griefing these days but fleecing our opponents and taking their lunch money could be fun.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

ehhhh this isn't completely true anymore

gear can be salvaged in backpack for repair parts + gold now so in a way you're always your own junk vendor

(it used to be repair parts + raw mats until they realized this completely undercut gathering since companies would just locust through mobs in areas -> salvage all the gear -> hand the mats to a single crafter to powerlevel)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hmm, okay, might try this out. Worst case scenario I play less than 2 hours and get a refund.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Hellioning posted:

Hmm, okay, might try this out. Worst case scenario I play less than 2 hours and get a refund.

This is where I am too on the game. I plan to wait out this first week so I can make the most out of my 2 hours.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
There are buy and sell orders for the trading post, so the trading post is your vendor for everything but junk loot (which you salvage into coins and repair points).

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

idiotsavant posted:

Honestly I’m just gonna try and get $40 out of busted content for a month or two before the game implodes. Even then worst case scenario is it’s just a mellow pve tree-chopping fishing sim. Anything past that is basically a bonus

There’s weed in the game, and you can pick it. That’s worth $40 for me.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Did they fix the thing that was killing people video cards?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Lysandus posted:

Did they fix the thing that was killing people video cards?

this was technically EVGA 3090s having hardware defects, or so EVGA admitted to the public

https://www.pcgamesn.com/new-world/evga-explains-nvidia-rtx-3090-gpu-issue

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Konec Hry posted:

There’s weed in the game, and you can pick it. That’s worth $40 for me.

Holy poo poo I can be a weed dealer in New World???????

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

Holy poo poo I can be a weed dealer in New World???????

Well, I mean... kind of!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I think I might have just got this game for free? I pre-ordered it back when it was free, years(?) ago, and they just emailed me a steam key for the Deluxe Edition. I rather assumed that they wouldn't be honoring those once they announced it was going to be buy to play. This happen to anyone else?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hellioning posted:

If I am a coward who does not like MMO PvP combat will this have enough fake dragons to fight to interest me or is this more about PvP?

I'm not a big PvPer and got 50 hours out of the closed beta without getting bored. The quests are quite rudimentary, but the world is cool, the crafting and gathering is cool, and I enjoyed the combat.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.

ChickenMedium posted:

I think I might have just got this game for free? I pre-ordered it back when it was free, years(?) ago, and they just emailed me a steam key for the Deluxe Edition. I rather assumed that they wouldn't be honoring those once they announced it was going to be buy to play. This happen to anyone else?

If it redeems in Steam then :getin:

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Wreckus posted:

If it redeems in Steam then :getin:

I bought the standard edition and noticed they immediately sent me an email to redeem the deluxe edition.. so I did and everything looks good. About 2 minutes later I get an email thanking me for my purchase of the standard edition and another redeem code. Not sure if I now have 2 copies of the game or what? :shrug:

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Is there any stupid, OP gear combos that I can relentlessly abuse to be as annoying as possible in PVP?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
If you ordered it while it was FTP, they announced like 2 years ago that they would honor it and you'd get the full version for free. The fact that it's the deluxe edition is a nice bonus!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Yup, how it went for me as well. First got an email saying it was available for purchase. And then a follow up email shortly afterwards thanking me for my purchase with a key to the deluxe edition. I'm actually surprised because I had assumed I was only going to get the standard edition for "purchasing" it for free back then as well. I knew it would be honored because I was able to retrieve a key for closed beta play through thanks to it.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
As a sucker for potentially doomed MMOs, I'm all over this.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

causticBeet posted:

Is there any stupid, OP gear combos that I can relentlessly abuse to be as annoying as possible in PVP?

Great Axe and Hatchet or Life Staff, Medium load armor. Plenty of CON.

Potions are on a short cooldown, heal for a flat amount and a percentage amount. 50 CON gives you +20% more healing from potions. Great Axe has Mobility (Charge), AoE (everything) and CC (Gravity Well, Reap).

Hatchet gives death invulnerability, a runspeed buff, berserk which is just a flat damage bonus and a skill that roots if you hit a target in the back.

Life Staff heals, which people find incredibly annoying to deal with.

Beach Party posted:

I bought the standard edition and noticed they immediately sent me an email to redeem the deluxe edition.. so I did and everything looks good. About 2 minutes later I get an email thanking me for my purchase of the standard edition and another redeem code. Not sure if I now have 2 copies of the game or what? :shrug:

I'd say you're good. If you can log in on release just give that junk to a friend or, if you're a standard goon and don't have friends, a poor goon.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I'll buy a spare key if anyone wants to sell it.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Mr. Humalong posted:

I skimmed the OP so maybe I missed it, but what is it looking like this game will have for endgame content? Is it just the 20v20 Ashran/moba thing? Are there any dungeons, raids, and/or world bosses planned/designed/being tested? How are they planning to retain a playerbase once everyone has leveled to the cap?

I want to stress that I'm asking this sincerely. I have a group of friends talking about playing this but when I asked them these questions the answers I got ranged from "I haven't heard about anything" to "the raids in this game are going to change the MMO landscape as we know it" so I'm a bit confused.

So this game was originally a sandbox PVP game but they listened to their testers and changed it to a standard PvE MMO with strong PvP elements. The issue is that that was about 2 years ago so they've been playing catch up on the PvE side and it shows. There is a decent mix of dungeons(called 'expeditions", there were six at last count) and various flavors of outdoor encounters/invasions but it's definitely a work in progress. The good news is they've actually made an insane amount of progress even from May and I expect content to keep rolling out heavily into the spring. IMO you will definitely get your $40 worth even if you don't PvP in the slightest.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Last three games I bought before release were Star Citizen, Cyberpunk and this, we're all fuckin doomed!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Last three games I bought before release were Star Citizen, Cyberpunk and this, we're all fuckin doomed!

This is a beautiful track record and now I can see clearly now where this game is heading.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I love this game so far, and down with everyone saying that it sucks. For those of you considering playing, it has the feel of the MMO's of our childhoods but with a modern active combat system. It's fun. Come play.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

counterpoint: it's a terrible game, but new mmos at release are a spectacle and fun as hell even with horrific bugs and limited content

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah I wouldn't say it's terrible but I feel like this has a high probability of running out of fun/content when you get to max level. They seem to be relying on PvP to fill the gap and that seems like a crapshoot at best.

However the combat is fun as hell, the world is beautiful and immersive, and imo you'll get more than your money's worth out of leveling through it once even if the endgame is a giant stinker.

Edit: And Bezos has infinity bucks and this is Amazon's first game that has a hint of success around it. IMO they'll spend the GDP of a small nation to fix it up as they go. Whether they succeed with their fixes is another story but I wouldn't worry about this becoming abandonware anytime soon!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 28, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
PVP is really only good at sustaining an end game when it has player controlled territories and such systems to support the sort of nationalism-role play that comes out of games like eve and Albion - would be cool if this gets there eventually. Barring that, neat sandbox-lite mmo to poo poo around in with friends for a few weeks sounds alright too!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

They do seem to have some fun systems from the start and the game is set to be extremely popular out of the gate. I wonder how they’ll choose to support it going forward.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

To me this game is like if Guild Wars 2 and Conan Exiles had an illegitimate love child that was adopted and raised by a nouveau riche uncle. I love both of those games so it's extremely my jam but YMMV.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

How deep is the crafting/gathering and most importantly fishing aspect?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

ChickenMedium posted:

This just happened to me too. I can't even remember when I did that, it must have been years ago.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Hakarne posted:

To me this game is like if Guild Wars 2 and Conan Exiles had an illegitimate love child that was adopted and raised by a nouveau riche uncle. I love both of those games so it's extremely my jam but YMMV.
that's funny because i have an embarrassing amount of time in conan yet i barely made it to max level in GW2 before completely losing interest in it

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I had the same thing, checked my Amazon digital library and apparently signed up in 2017 for it.

Wasnt gonna buy it, cuz I've been so into GW2 lately, and I didn't love the alpha, but free is the perfect price to pay to check it out.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

causticBeet posted:

PVP is really only good at sustaining an end game when it has player controlled territories and such systems to support the sort of nationalism-role play that comes out of games like eve and Albion - would be cool if this gets there eventually. Barring that, neat sandbox-lite mmo to poo poo around in with friends for a few weeks sounds alright too!

They already have that, my dude. It's the central focus of the game.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
im in for launch tomorrow - east server.

Should be good but I wonder if they will fail like every other MMO launch (server wise) on the first day. Daddy Bezos where you at ?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I love me some doomed MMO's. I'm preinstalled and waiting for tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ceramics posted:

How deep is the crafting/gathering and most importantly fishing aspect?

It's fairly deep. More so than the average mmo that has them.