Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just get rid of the rival system. I become aware of 99% of my rivals at the moment of their death. Also I'm kicking everyones rear end, I don't have any rivals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Trevor Hale posted:

Was playing a William the Conqueror game. 8 years into his reign, I say gently caress it why not when a tiny count level ally in Central Europe asks for help in a war. I send men at arms only to go deal with it, have a large army sprung on me, get captured, and waste away in his du vein for four years before going insane of dying of a seizure. He wouldn’t ransom me because the war was ongoing, and I had an internal war to deal with.

But. But as soon as that was put down….my next king rolled in with army’s and mercs I spent money on just to prove a point and I killed every goddamn captive I could grab. In a stroke of good luck, the dude had converted to something before I got there so every execution was above board and blessed.

This once happened to me as a shah in Baluchistan when I was captured by a duke level player in Sindh. I can back as my heir and killed him, all of his siblings, all of his children. gently caress that person and their whole godamn line. I think he had one remaining great granddaughter alive in that game that ended up somewhere in Tibet, out of my reach.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

This once happened to me as a shah in Baluchistan when I was captured by a duke level player in Sindh. I can back as my heir and killed him, all of his siblings, all of his children. gently caress that person and their whole godamn line. I think he had one remaining great granddaughter alive in that game that ended up somewhere in Tibet, out of my reach.

It is very satisfying

To prove I am not a monster, I also like to keep an eye on the descendants of minor characters I enjoyed. Give someone a barony and make sure their kids get good marriages. Maybe build money producing buildings for them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So I kind of have a backwards inheritance problem: I've managed to murder and marry my way onto the Byzantium throne from a nobody-count in one generation, and my very last child born is a boy and will inherit the Emperor's crown but still be of my Dynasty. All in all, a win. But! I want to play as that boy when my PC dies, but he's got a half dozen older brothers that I just don't (and probably -won't-) have the currency to burn disinheriting them all. Can't murder the kids as I'm lacking traits so I'm struggling to think of ways to get the player character to control the Emperor-to-be.

Just typing this it occurred to me to abduct them all and make them Eunichs (lol?), but that's very slow and rather prone to backfiring. Other ideas?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Serephina posted:

So I kind of have a backwards inheritance problem: I've managed to murder and marry my way onto the Byzantium throne from a nobody-count in one generation, and my very last child born is a boy and will inherit the Emperor's crown but still be of my Dynasty. All in all, a win. But! I want to play as that boy when my PC dies, but he's got a half dozen older brothers that I just don't (and probably -won't-) have the currency to burn disinheriting them all. Can't murder the kids as I'm lacking traits so I'm struggling to think of ways to get the player character to control the Emperor-to-be.

Just typing this it occurred to me to abduct them all and make them Eunichs (lol?), but that's very slow and rather prone to backfiring. Other ideas?

If you don't mind waiting a generation, you could have your eldest son marry your youngest's first child to your firstborn grandchild, or even your firstborn granddaughter to their uncle?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Serephina posted:

If you're not playing ironman (this is why you shouldn't play ironman), then you can just tag-switch over.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

If you're not playing ironman (this is why you shouldn't play ironman), then you can just tag-switch over.

Good grief, there are ingame ways to accomplish this. No need to go straight for capitulation.

If you put an elective succession on your primary title, you can elect the child. If you have access to absolute CA, you can designate them your heir.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Can you force all the other kids into desperate attempts to fight terrible battles with only levies at their backs?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Absolute CA + designate heir would be your best choice, if available

Other than that, arrest/abduct all of them and than execute they and eat the tyranny malus

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

scaterry posted:

Good grief, there are ingame ways to accomplish this. No need to go straight for capitulation.

The best in-game way to accomplish this is the button in the menu to change characters. You only need to use Designate Heir or Elective if you want to also pass on other titles to the kid

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I would love having a straightforward "player's next character" choice being very different from the dynastic succession. Just a simple who you want to play as next, any valid descendant. Then have the inheritance mechanics become more hands-off issue with the possibility of clusterfucks that muddle up succession, like, one county was supposed to go to one brother but the bishop of another claims that the father promised the county to the one he serves because the kid survived pneumonia

and also to change and mix the situations, particularly in case of a kid having the possibility of inheriting a far away duchy or kingdom. A story of the third son coming back from a totally distant place to depose his tyrannical brother? hell yeah gimme that

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ironman is the absolute way to go, for me. It feels like there's no weight to the decisions I make if I could just save scum and choose a better outcome.

I would, however, totally love an option to disable Ironman in-game as long as you couldn't turn it on again. Once you hit that cheevo and are ready to gently caress around and switch characters it could be really fun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wish you could convert a game to IM if you haven't saved or reloaded. I missed al-Andalus and Last Count First King in games where I forgot to enable IM. It should allow you to make it default!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry for the double but: when you guys are giving out titles as you expand your empire and bump up against your domain limit, do you cherrypick the best counties or do you try to keep them near, or even within, your capital duchy

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You generally want to own your capital duchy personally.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I would love having a straightforward "player's next character" choice being very different from the dynastic succession. Just a simple who you want to play as next, any valid descendant. Then have the inheritance mechanics become more hands-off issue with the possibility of clusterfucks that muddle up succession...

Yeah this is my wish too.

zoux posted:

Sorry for the double but: when you guys are giving out titles as you expand your empire and bump up against your domain limit, do you cherrypick the best counties or do you try to keep them near, or even within, your capital duchy

It depends! You do generally want own your own capital duchy, but if those counties are farmland terrain I will absolutely hang onto distributed counties.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

farmland is royal land and gently caress you otherwise

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

How are u posted:

Ironman is the absolute way to go, for me. It feels like there's no weight to the decisions I make if I could just save scum and choose a better outcome.

I would, however, totally love an option to disable Ironman in-game as long as you couldn't turn it on again. Once you hit that cheevo and are ready to gently caress around and switch characters it could be really fun.

If you don't trust yourself not to save scum you can still play Ironman with achievements disabled.

Johnny Lee Wombat
Jan 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

Force your sons to be knights. Start a war you can easily win. Split your sons off from the main army one by one, then send them into the enemy's army alone. Once they're all dead, kill off the enemy's army and win the war.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Feudal elective was the obvious, easy answer, thanks for that! All the electors are my kids so they naturally want to vote for their buddy lil bro, no hooks needed. And yes I play Ironman nowadays as I couldn't resist the temptation to reload every time something went wrong. Adds some real weight to decisions imo.

Anways, the monkey's paw twist is that due to all my murdering, Byzantium has no allies and is weak as hell and is getting absolutely dogpiled by various Arabs schmucks. Not even emperors, just random vassal kings are kicking us around, the shame. They'll be nothing left by the time my kid takes the throne, even if I murder my husband I can't think of ways of getting my soon-to-be-liege child another ~5k worth of allies to hold the line.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Serephina posted:

Anways, the monkey's paw twist is that due to all my murdering, Byzantium has no allies and is weak as hell and is getting absolutely dogpiled by various Arabs schmucks. Not even emperors, just random vassal kings are kicking us around, the shame. They'll be nothing left by the time my kid takes the throne, even if I murder my husband I can't think of ways of getting my soon-to-be-liege child another ~5k worth of allies to hold the line.
/
:TheodoreIIsay:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
New dev diary. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/crusader-kings-3-dev-diary-75-in-the-event-of-court-events.1492792/

They're really embracing the 3D models. Court events seems flavorful, and I like the mise-en-scène. Release date doesn't seem any time soon.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
This is the best poem I've received.

Her name being Chat makes it even better.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

scaterry posted:

New dev diary. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/crusader-kings-3-dev-diary-75-in-the-event-of-court-events.1492792/

They're really embracing the 3D models. Court events seems flavorful, and I like the mise-en-scène. Release date doesn't seem any time soon.
That's nice, although probably along the lines of what I would expect. I agree, just give me RC already, I want to play this game again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought you maxed out at 5. This is with 3 on my council already

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
that doesn't stop others from wanting you to shitcan the current ones and put them on the council instead

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

zoux posted:

I thought you maxed out at 5. This is with 3 on my council already

Whoa, never seen that before. Eight powerful vassals would be a pain to please...
Are you playing with any mods? They might change the number of powerful vassals allowed.
Otherwise, I would file a bug report. That's way too many

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I thought it maxed out at (Appointable Council Positions)+1

Are the guys currently on your Council actually still rated as powerful?

E: VVVV oh yeah I guess it is, I was thinking you had six slots, but I guess you can't appoint your spouse...

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 29, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, but even if they weren't, seven is still too many! I had just invaded all of france, conquered it and immediately died so maybe all that together created some strange interactions.

It, uh, ended up falling apart.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The number is hard-coded to top out at 5, so something is definitely weird there.

00_defines.txt posted:

# The number of vassals that are considered 'powerful' depending on the primary title tier (unlanded, baron, count, duke, king, emperor)
NUM_PER_TIER = { 0 0 3 4 5 5 }

I suspect your assumption of the France title transferred the associated powerful vassals of it directly to you on top of those of your existing realm, and they would have only lasted until whatever polling frequency is associated with the task of re-evaluating the Powerful Vassals list at an interval. Same way it often takes a month or so for you to regain the culture or house head title upon succession as your holdings aren't included in the most recent pre-succession check of the numbers.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have hit such a wall with this game. It is the first CK game that I have played, but I've done strategy games my entire life. I went with Sigurdr and went for a hyper-aggressive paint the map style from the beginning. My third generation set me back a bit because it broke up my conquest, but it was easy to recover after some advice from this thread. My fourth generation ruler has a tremendously large empire. He's 68 and will probably live a lot longer, because he has all sorts of health bonuses.

He has six kids that I've given equal portions. If he lives to 78, I'll finish researching the tech that leads to absolute crown authority, but I don't think he'll be able to implement it, because there are two steps there after the tech research is done to implement it. The entire empire may splinter when he dies. This basically happened in the previous generation, but stitching it back together was trivial.

If I keep waging war on my neighbors, I'm pretty sure that I can conquer enormous portions of the map before this emperor dies. It would make sense, my whole game has been about insane aggression. I just keep thinking about how it might all fall apart, that I ought to quit while I'm ahead. That makes it hard to keep playing.

I can invade West Francia. They're more or less an equal, but I'm pretty sure I can overwhelm them. But am I going to spend days grinding them down only for my lovely sons to lose it all? Why even bother? Maybe I should just build some farms. Or play Bannerlord. Ugh

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I agree with the "what even is the point, then?" sentiment, I definitely have felt that with the game. That's why I find the achievements to be so helpful. They give me a nice solid goal to play for, and when I hit it I can start a new game and go for another. Doesn't have to be cheevos, any concrete goal will do, but I find that my monkey brain loves the little pop-up and dopamine hit from being rewarded for my effort.

The fun of the game is in the striving, and if you don't have something to strive for it becomes less engaging.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah once you reach a certain level of strength you have to choose to be threatened by deliberately loving up succession to make things interesting, or conquer empires and hand them off to see what happens.

It's one of things people are hoping the Royal Court stuff will help with as far as extending the gameplay and stuff to do, and maybe even delaying how long it takes to get there?

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
Yes, this game is basically a disappointed parent simulator.

All your achievements mean nothing to your children, who will begin squabbling over the inheritance while your corpse is still warm. It's great.

The game is most fun to me when it throws curve balls at you, such as a costly inheritance division, but I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im really hoping that Royal Court and other expansions give us more opportunities for internal development. Its all well and good to be a King who unites the land and establishes a new Kingdom but after that I want to be the King who builds up institutions within the Realm that will outlast me, whether thats a professional army, a great library or a more efficient taxation system. Obviously in the medieval era internal development isnt as important as it becomes later in the 19th century but the seeds of modernity are planted here and it would be cool to take some part in planting them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Quick Q: Do all the traits gained through a martial lifestyle (say, Parthian Tactics which I'm considering) apply to all your troops at all time as long as you're the PC, or do you have to lead them personally?

E: Also, no matter what I do, I can't seem to sacrifice humans at a grand blót, nor find the 'set designated sacrifice' function. Do they have to be christian?

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 30, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Things that have a little symbol of a knight's helmet require you to lead the force yourself, likewise with anything called a 'commander trait'. Lifestyle perks (et al) works realm-wide if the character is the ruler.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Tias posted:

E: Also, no matter what I do, I can't seem to sacrifice humans at a grand blót, nor find the 'set designated sacrifice' function. Do they have to be christian?

Did you take the decision and have prisoners you can sacrifice?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tias posted:

Quick Q: Do all the traits gained through a martial lifestyle (say, Parthian Tactics which I'm considering) apply to all your troops at all time as long as you're the PC, or do you have to lead them personally?

Its on the diplomacy menu, for any prisioner, after you triggered the blot

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Between triggering the blót and the sacrifice event? Gotcha! Seems a little confusing, but I don't think I've tried that.