Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

My prediction is that the main story will only vaguely touch upon Gaster as an important character in the backstory (probably as the one who put certain pieces into play) - similar to how Undertale would have treated him if the Fun stuff wasn't RNG - but collecting all the dark crystals by fighting the secret bosses will let you truly dig into his lore and involvement in the story.

ikanreed posted:

Randomly: we know the prophecy is that 2 lightners and a prince of the dark save everyone, but that's totally not our main 3 is it? It's lancer, Susie and someone, right?

Ralsei claims the lightners are specifically supposed to be a human and a monster, and there aren't a lot of options for the former unless they're all locked in the bunker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Katsuma posted:

I can't think of a narratively satisfying explanation that includes Gaster.

That is on you.

It's very clear now that Gaster was always meant to be tied into Deltarune, with the elements that character introduced to the narrative literally being sequel hooks. Complaining that a character meant to foreshadow an upcoming story is involved in that story is dumb, but you do you.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Dr Pepper posted:

To answer your question
Before monsters die of natural causes they "Fall Down" and essentially slip into comatose state before passing.

Plus he might just be in a coma.

Hm, yeah that makes sense. I like the notion that he's locked in a state worse than death now that the dark world is gone, and maybe that has something to do with what happened when Kris and co. were kids

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Dr Pepper posted:

That is on you.

Never claimed otherwise, friendo.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

dyzzy posted:

So monsters turn to dust when they die right?

What's up with Berdly then?

Also I didn't get into Undertale until way too late and it's been a blast catching up. Can't get the soundtrack out of my head

Monster biology doesn't seem the same in Undertale and Deltarune. There's a cemetery, we see at least two toilets, and there's no evidence that monsters can shoot bullets in the Light World anymore than they can manifest laser halberds.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I thought I read somewhere that the graves just contain an object of sentimental value, though that might have been speculation in the thread and not in game

Either way the impact of the scene where Berdly just doesn't wake up and Noelle does her best to ignore him and book it out of there is good so it's good the way it is

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Abyssal Squid posted:

Monster biology doesn't seem the same in Undertale and Deltarune. There's a cemetery, we see at least two toilets, and there's no evidence that monsters can shoot bullets in the Light World anymore than they can manifest laser halberds.

The cemetery doesn't have the bodies buried in it, just an item tied to the monster and the only toilet we see is in the house with a human living there.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

dyzzy posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the graves just contain an object of sentimental value, though that might have been speculation in the thread and not in game

Either way the impact of the scene where Berdly just doesn't wake up and Noelle does her best to ignore him and book it out of there is good so it's good the way it is

We know Gerson's grave might only have a hammer in, but there's no indication that the other graves only have an object of sentimental value in, at least not that I can remember. It might be tradition to bury someone with a treasured memento.

Dr Pepper posted:

The cemetery doesn't have the bodies buried in it, just an item tied to the monster and the only toilet we see is in the house with a human living there.

That is where you are wrong, my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7AH-q6_i9I&t=250s

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
the other human is the vessel

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Katsuma posted:

I can't think of a narratively satisfying explanation that includes Gaster. It's fine if other people wanna see that mystery explored, or are crossing their fingers for his inclusion. It's just that, personally, I just think it'd be a step backwards, which would be a real shame considering how great the steps DeltaRune has put forward have been.

Here’s one: Gaster made a vessel for the player, the player somehow got hijacked to Kris’ soul, which was already being removed at night as a way for Kris to act selfishly without the guilt that comes from retaining empathy and compassion. Gaster has been contacting the secret bosses to try to fix this mess, unintentionally breaking their brains after they experience true freedom by chatting with him and end up as normal game characters again when he’s gone, ala someone communing with the mind of Cthulhu and going back to being human.

He’s not evil, he’s not the antagonist, and he’s not the Roaring Knight or the like, but his attempts to help are just making everything worse after another experiment of his blew up in an entirely different way.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
e: ^^^ It just doesn’t make a lot of sense to dismiss Gaster’s role in the story. There’s too much of him and a bunch of other Undertale junk to dismiss it as “just easter eggs”; the story goes out of its way to rub your nose in the Undertaleness. Unlike Anno, Ryukishi07, or Nomura, though, he’s doing something a lot more clever than pretending to do a remake, and I haven’t figured it out yet.

RareAcumen posted:

This game rules, it's my favorite isekai now.

It's really cool how Toby looked at Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and said 'Wow, I could do that way better!' and then did. Even if he had to make cutscenes out of IF statements to prove it.

Isn’t it wild? I’ve been thinking about this exact thing a lot, and an unironic “Actually getting isekai’d rules and I’m going to keep doing it, mom/dad(s)” plot is absolutely good.

The way Susie and Berdly talk about the Dark World in their last few scenes in particular make me wonder where Toby will ultimately land on this. It’s obvious we’re headed for something more nuanced and interesting than FFTA and other similar things, just wonder what that’ll be.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, at first I assumed it was Kris, Susie, and Ralsei but now I’m starting to think that might not be entirely true (though as mentioned above, there aren’t really any other humans around that we’ve seen and Kris is the main character).

Isn’t it interesting how the Dark Fountain works just like the Barrier in Undertale? A human and a monster are needed to pass—though that doesn’t really explain how Berdly and Noelle managed to get into the library world.

Also to be fair we don’t actually know whether Dess or Asriel are human, as far as I know. I’ve been trying to find an example of Asriel being described as a fluffy goat boy and coming up empty, and I think the same is true for Dess. I kinda doubt it (Asriel coming home and looking just like Frisk or something is probably too cheesy for Toby Fox), but I also feel like we’re definitely being made to overlook something in that list.

FWIW, I think it’s interesting how Ralsei always gives these very ambiguous plotdumps with the Undertale-style sepia illustrations. Unless I’m mistaken, it’s only when he’s doing expostulation than we see ‘em.

rko fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 28, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope Gaster doesn't make an actual appearance in the game itself and keeps the meta framing from the original deltarune survey and all that of just seemingly being "the guy who is making the videogame".

If only because I really enjoy that the first actual appearance of the character outside of some creepypasta cut content commentary from Undertale is that he's in charge of the Twitter account.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

1) Objects are buried in a lot of human graves, too. 2) There's also the toilet in Queen's Mansion (which granted is Dark World) (also the giant toilet which same), and in any case it's the food you eat that determines whether you need to use a toilet, not whether you're human or monster.

Like yeah it's not explicitly stated that monster biology works differently in DR, but there's enough differences that I don't think exposition from UT is stuff "we know for a fact."

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Katsuma posted:

We know Gerson's grave might only have a hammer in, but there's no indication that the other graves only have an object of sentimental value in, at least not that I can remember. It might be tradition to bury someone with a treasured memento.

It’s worth pointing out that all of the graves are decorated with large symbols relevant to the deceased, rather than any kind of religious symbol, not that we really know what the deal is with that. Personally, I find it easy to believe that monsters still get dusted, but we’ll have to see it to be sure, and I get the feeling that in a Toby Fox game we’re not gonna be left wanting.

There is also no grave for Dess.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

rko posted:

It’s worth pointing out that all of the graves are decorated with large symbols relevant to the deceased, rather than any kind of religious symbol, not that we really know what the deal is with that. Personally, I find it easy to believe that monsters still get dusted, but we’ll have to see it to be sure, and I get the feeling that in a Toby Fox game we’re not gonna be left wanting.

There is also no grave for Dess.

I like the Dess is Missing theory. It makes sense to my brain that she wouldn't have a grave if she didn't leave a body, and that only really works if leaving behind a body is something monsters can be expected to do.

Abyssal Squid posted:

1) Objects are buried in a lot of human graves, too. 2) There's also the toilet in Queen's Mansion (which granted is Dark World) (also the giant toilet which same), and in any case it's the food you eat that determines whether you need to use a toilet, not whether you're human or monster.

Like yeah it's not explicitly stated that monster biology works differently in DR, but there's enough differences that I don't think exposition from UT is stuff "we know for a fact."

Agreed. We know Toriel cooks using a stove, not fire magic, and with actual ingredients like cinnamon and flour. I think a layer of abstraction is expected in games, so the fact that we don't see the bathroom in the librarby or hospital doesn't necessarily mean that Monsters Don't Poop.

Deltarune inherits a lot from Undertale, but is never beholden to it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

so where's the toilet eraser...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Could be the food thing is the same between Deltarune and Undertale, but the monsters living in the human world like eating human food so they need toilets now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They have inherited our blessing, and our curse

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hope Gaster doesn't make an actual appearance in the game itself and keeps the meta framing from the original deltarune survey and all that of just seemingly being "the guy who is making the videogame".

If only because I really enjoy that the first actual appearance of the character outside of some creepypasta cut content commentary from Undertale is that he's in charge of the Twitter account.

Yeah, after so long hanging around the edges of the plot and existing through implication a direct 'it's me, your favourite creepypasta' encounter would have to try very hard not to be an anti-climax

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

dyzzy posted:

They have inherited our blessing, and our curse

soon you will learn the true meaning of gasterblaster

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

kaleedity posted:

i don't think gaster's the angel. he doesn't seem angel-y.

BE NOT AFRAID

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Could be the food thing is the same between Deltarune and Undertale, but the monsters living in the human world like eating human food so they need toilets now.

Susie comments in chapter 1 that dark world food doesn’t seem to actually nourish her, so there might be something to this

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Katsuma posted:

so the fact that we don't see the bathroom in the librarby or hospital doesn't necessarily mean that Monsters Don't Poop.

The toilets in chapter 2 cyberworld prove that Monsters Do Shitpost

Rhodo Dendron
Sep 20, 2021

by sebmojo

Amppelix posted:

Something that just came to me and may or may not hold any significance whatsoever is that the real world does not have any save points at all (and, indeed, it's impossible to save your game in the real world) while the dark world is full of them.

Given that there's some strangeness going on with kris's/your save file, i feel like this might just be an intentional hint at something.

There's also the fact that the Titans' faces/"eyes"/whatever in Ralsei's story are also the same shape as the Save Points.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

W.D Gaster did all this work to set you up on a playdate with new friends and yall call him a villain. Tsk tsk no good deed goes unpunished.

He even keeps giving you eggs for these trying times.

Tunicate posted:

I think it specifies human and monster, and pickin's are awfully thin for a different human

There is a really funny picture I can't find right now that is the prophesy picture but Noelle is the monster, Lancer is the Prince from the Dark, and the human is the Vessel collapsed in a heap on the ground because nothing is piloting it.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Whenever I’ve recommended Undertale to friends, I’ve done so with the caveat: Don’t let the game’s overexuberant fan base turn you off before you even start. I think we need to extend that to Deltarune and whatever direction it ends up going with its plot.

It’s possible that Gaster is a going to be significant in Deltarune, or that the Deltarune universe is essentially an AU of Undertale, or that Kris is a variant of Chara. If you’re rolling your eyes at those notions, that’s because those three aspects of Undertale have been completely done to death by the fandom, not because they were overused in Undertale itself. If Toby wants to explore those elements, he’s completely within his right. It would be unfair if we as an audience let an ocean of crappy third-party fanfiction taint our impressions.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

W.D Gaster did all this work to set you up on a playdate with new friends and yall call him a villain. Tsk tsk no good deed goes unpunished.

He even keeps giving you eggs for these trying times.

There is a really funny picture I can't find right now that is the prophesy picture but Noelle is the monster, Lancer is the Prince from the Dark, and the human is the Vessel collapsed in a heap on the ground because nothing is piloting it.

Gaster actually seems extremely jovial and polite in all your encounters with him. I think at worst he might be that amoral scientist type who is more concerned with finishing the experiment than anything else.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

sans is gonna start asking if you would like to meet his grandpa in chapter 3

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/jsheios/status/1438348608651231234

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Hell yeah who needs google when you have other posters. As a reward. have some complete nonsense to speculate on.

Check this out. Here is Susie Deltarune

But if your remember the Undertale teasers

That's a Suzy

Now, if you are a normal person with a normal brain. This means nothing, because its just a small spelling change, Toby coud of just changed his mind.

But if you are a crazy person with a tumblr blog you might end up bringing something to my attention

tl:dr Susie has a sister who's name is just a different spelling of Suzy because that's just a thing monster do. For a joke. Good luck finding out how THAT is relevant nerds.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I wouldn’t say it’s too out there. Suzy’s name was like that for years and the Switch port of Undertale that added new dialogue relating to her still kept it as Suzy even though Deltarune was going to drop very soon. There’s probably a reason the name is like that since Toby had plenty of time to correct it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

tl:dr Susie has a sister who's name is just a different spelling of Suzy because that's just a thing monster do. For a joke. Good luck finding out how THAT is relevant nerds.

I think monsters just suck at naming things in general.

Where did the monsters used to live in Undertale? Home. Where do they like now? New Home. Where do they live in Deltarune? Hometown.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

I think monsters just suck at naming things in general.

Where did the monsters used to live in Undertale? Home. Where do they like now? New Home. Where do they live in Deltarune? Hometown.

Well, in Undertale that's credited specifically to Asgore. Even his son was just his and his wife's names smashed together.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Okay, I solved it, I cracked the case. In chapter seven, sometime between Asrial getting off the bus and finally getting to hang out with Papyrus a tiny version of Susie is going to walk up with December and the kid will be all like "The weird doctor man I saw when I fell in a hole told me to bring her with me."

Can't fool me mister Fox I have so much yarn and thumbtacks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
read some speculation the other day that Kris’s name actually came from the Holiday family, who suggested it to save them from being subjected to Asgore’s “talent” for names

after all, what would Asgore have picked? probably something ridiculous, like Ralsei

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oxxidation posted:

read some speculation the other day that Kris’s name actually came from the Holiday family, who suggested it to save them from being subjected to Asgore’s “talent” for names

after all, what would Asgore have picked? probably something ridiculous, like Ralsei

Nah, that'd still be a bit of a stretch for him.

Kris would have been named Togore.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, it's possible that the reason no one comments that Ralsei looks like Asriel is because he doesn't. Sure, he's a goat monster, and would fit in with the Dreemurr family, but that doesn't mean all fluffy goat boys look alike.

But he might look exactly like the monster Kris would have wanted to be. Only they could know that, and they can't say it to us.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Krismas is extremely funny and cute. I don't care if it's just a nickname or the real full version of their name.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Rudy hears that Asgore has adopted a human kid and immediately thinks “I must save this child from my ex-boyfriend’s lameness”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Rudy saved Kris from being named Togore but cursed them in the process