Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I don’t believe so, and a quick search doesn’t turn up any results.

It should say on the label if it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

I'm making up a milk washed punch in part thanks to this thread and I'd love some thoughts/feedback on what I got so far.

2 cups sugar
2 oranges
6 lemons + 2 for juice after
1 pineapple
1.5 Cup coffee liqueur
.5 Cup triple sec
3.75 Cups rum
10 oz cold brew

Process wise:

Oleo orange and lemon
Add pineapple + citrus juice + cinnamon, coffee liqueur, triple sec/Curacao white and dark rum
Let sit over night
Add cold brew
Strain
Add in some more lemon juice
Add to milk
Filter
Smile

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think you're over-thinking your order of operations here. It makes sense to do your first 2 steps as you are if you're trying to let the cinnamon infuse overnight, but the rest of it is over-complicated.

Just combine all your syrups/citrus/booze/modifiers together and get them cold.

Get your milk warm, then dump the milk into the cold punch for a nice curdle.

Use cold brew. Hot coffee gets bitter and flat if you chill it.

Yeah thanks for that, it was helpful, the order of ops was a bit broken just because it's how I was writing it down, but yeah kept it pretty simple.

I've actually found better success with colder milk than hot milk in terms of clarifying, so I went with that.

Over all the punch was pretty spectacular. I've made a lot of different ones and this was unique and pretty amazing. You got coffee, but it wasn't too dark and didn't dominate. The cinnamon was present, and man the fruit shone through as a beautiful supporting player. I might try modifying the base spirits next time a bit. I think a really citrusy gin actually might be fun in replacing maybe a cup of the rum, but have to try it. I've made up a few cocktails and things but I think this is something I'm proudest of pulling together.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Bandit posted:

I don’t believe so, and a quick search doesn’t turn up any results.

It should say on the label if it does

Lol that depends where you are. In Canada none of the alcohol with intense artificial colourants are labelled as such. I think there's a specific exception saying that liquor doesn't need to have its ingredients listed.

Edit: maybe they do? My Campari, Aperol and creme de violette all have ingredient lists, but not much else does.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 11, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

My (United States) bottle of cynar says "caramel color added." The liquor itself is definitely brown instead of bright candy red like campari

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Skipping 257 pages of this thread just to reply to theread title and suggest the best use of grappa is as a chaser for slivowitz

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

shame on an IGA posted:

Skipping 257 pages of this thread just to reply to theread title and suggest the best use of grappa is as a chaser for slivowitz

saying you need a chaser for slivovitz is *checks notes* anti-semitism

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Do not class the divine slivovica with the hated grappa.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I love both though I admit I only ever tried slivovitz after reading about it in The Yiddish Policemen’s Union.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol that depends where you are. In Canada none of the alcohol with intense artificial colourants are labelled as such. I think there's a specific exception saying that liquor doesn't need to have its ingredients listed.

Edit: maybe they do? My Campari, Aperol and creme de violette all have ingredient lists, but not much else does.

It can also be product and/or category specific, i.e. different classifications may only need to disclose coloring agents like caramel coloring if they contain an amount above a certain threshold

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Any St. Paul / msp goons want a good deal on a bottle of Pernod absinthe? I bought a bottle on a whim for cocktails and it’s…just not my thing. I’ve used like less than an ounce of it. Looking to clear out some of my bottles I’m not going to.

On a side note, anyone have recommendations for how to effectively translate a cocktail into a frozen version? Or does a frozen cocktail just need a whole different recipe? I was trying to figure out if you could make a frozen jungle bird, or something.

My uncle gave me his beast of a margaritaville machine, and it’s kind of the best and worst thing I’ve ever seen. On one hand, I can make like a batch of 6-8 pina coladas or daquiris, which is divine, but it takes up like a ridiculous amount of counter space and is kind of pain to clean up.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://jeffreymorgenthaler.com/how-to-use-a-slushie-machine/

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Serious eats has a list of frozen cocktails that would probably work in a slushie machine, including a jungle bird. I've made the the peach coconut one and it's really good, almost too easy to drink.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Man, every time I see those cool things that require specialized devices I look at my little NYC kitchen and just dream of having the storage space. Just not happening for me.

I went to a bar that had a really tasty drink that I want to try to replicate: buttered bourbon, guava puree, lemon juice, burnt orange and spice simple syrup. Gotta read about fat-washing liquor, I think Cocktail Codex had instructions. Hope it doesn't require special equipment.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

Man, every time I see those cool things that require specialized devices I look at my little NYC kitchen and just dream of having the storage space. Just not happening for me.

I went to a bar that had a really tasty drink that I want to try to replicate: buttered bourbon, guava puree, lemon juice, burnt orange and spice simple syrup. Gotta read about fat-washing liquor, I think Cocktail Codex had instructions. Hope it doesn't require special equipment.

Nah. It's literally just melting whatever the fat is into the liquor and then freezing it, so that the fat solidifies and floats on the surface and you remove it. Straining it is important, which if you have a really fine sieve or a nut milk bag makes it a lot easier in higher quality and product

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Refrigerate fat washed spirits to help stop it from going rancid, especially if you're going to keep it around for awhile

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Good to know, thanks for the tips!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thinking about batching an old fashion, does anyone have a good reference on ratio of bitters to the other ingredients?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
People say bitters don’t scale the same, but to them I say who cares that makes it more complicated. If you want a perfect Old Fashioned, make it fresh. If you want a lot of delicious easy to make ones, batch em out.

Typical old fashioned recipe would be
2oz whiskey
.25oz syrup
3-5 dashes of angostura + orange

So I go with
750ml whiskey (25ish oz)
3oz syrup
2oz bitters (1.5oz ango + .5oz orange)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks that looks a lot better than what I was seeing. The serious eats recipe for instance called for 1 oz of simple for a whole bottle of bourbon, which seemed really suspect to me. The BA one called only for a 1/2 oz which didn't seem like enough. I discounted then the whole thing because it seemed built on such a shaky foundation.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I like to batch using an orange/demerera oleo for bourbon. Lemon for rye. Ounce of ango, half an ounce of peychauds

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For batching you might get away with bitters to serve, which adds to the feeling of hospitality

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Made a whiskey sour on my own for the first time today.

2 oz larceny
3/4 lemon juice
3/8 maple syrup
Egg white
Dry shake, Ice shake, pour
Add 4 drops peychauds bitters

Jesus it blew me away. I'd loved my old fashioneds and monte carlos, and was inching my way to more complex stuff. I just let the egg white convince me the sour was more bother than it was worth. I'm a dumb dumb.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Nice! Larceny and maple sounds like a real smooth and luscious whiskey sour; I like your style. Maybe next time try adding a couple dashes of Angostura to add some spice notes and round out the sweet, mellow wheated bourbon and maple syrup. Or modify with a quarter ounce of an amaro! Whiskey sours are fun to mess around with if you're into that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

my kinda ape posted:

Thank you all for your Pisco recommendations. Glad to know it's not garbage!

I made a Bijou tonight and while it was very interesting I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't particularly like sweet vermouth. Or at least I don't particularly like the Martini & Rossi Rosso I've been using. Are red/sweet vermouths generally pretty similar or should I give a different brand a chance?
Speaking subjectively:

I can't stand martini and Rossi, dry or sweet. It just tastes like crap. Sour, lifeless.

Dolin dry is fantastic for martinis, but I didn't care for the sweet in much of anything.

Carano Antica fits my palate so much better. It's got a nice vanilla depth that works super well in Manhattans, harmonizes with the rye, whereas dolin declared war on it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

prayer group posted:

Nice! Larceny and maple sounds like a real smooth and luscious whiskey sour; I like your style. Maybe next time try adding a couple dashes of Angostura to add some spice notes and round out the sweet, mellow wheated bourbon and maple syrup. Or modify with a quarter ounce of an amaro! Whiskey sours are fun to mess around with if you're into that.
It's not so much a style as I was too impatient to make more simple syrup and I have good maple syrup on hand. Something about making simple syrup is a chore to me, so most old fashioneds I make involve about 1/4 oz of maple syrup that I then microwave for 5 seconds to reduce viscosity before adding the other ingredients.

If it didn't work so well I'd be less lazy.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Maple syrup is great in cocktails! The microwaving isn't even necessary as long as you stir thoroughly.

People overcomplicate simple syrup, by the way. It's not called "complex syrup". Just combine two cups of sugar and one cup of water in a container and stir it thoroughly every so often for maybe ten minutes while you're doing something else. You don't need to heat it at all. In fact, applying heat breaks down the sucrose molecules into glucose and fructose molecules, and smaller sugar molecules mean a less luscious mouthfeel. Cold process 2:1 syrup is superior in every case in my experience, and this includes things like grenadine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I bought these from the taxfree shop on a ferry last weekend:

For irish coffee, egg nog, other stuf? Don't find it a good drinking whiskey.

Looked like a cool gin, mix with just about anything tonic-y I guess?

This one because it's a cool bottle. Drink as is I guess, or pour into coffee for a sorta irish coffee like drink.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pander posted:

Speaking subjectively:

I can't stand martini and Rossi, dry or sweet. It just tastes like crap. Sour, lifeless.

Dolin dry is fantastic for martinis, but I didn't care for the sweet in much of anything.

Carano Antica fits my palate so much better. It's got a nice vanilla depth that works super well in Manhattans, harmonizes with the rye, whereas dolin declared war on it.

We are vermouth buddies.

Though for a Manhattan, I've moved more to Cocci Torino vermouth. It's not as heavily sweet as Carpano and keeps my Manhattans lighter for summer drinking.

Dolin dry works great in a martini, especially with a nice botanical.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Last weekend I ended up botching some baked fruit, but ended up salvaging it into a nice apple and pear simple syrup. Any suggestions for what to do with it?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

QuasiQuack posted:

Last weekend I ended up botching some baked fruit, but ended up salvaging it into a nice apple and pear simple syrup. Any suggestions for what to do with it?

Maybe it’s low brow, but an apple- out peartini?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

prayer group posted:

Maple syrup is great in cocktails! The microwaving isn't even necessary as long as you stir thoroughly.

People overcomplicate simple syrup, by the way. It's not called "complex syrup". Just combine two cups of sugar and one cup of water in a container and stir it thoroughly every so often for maybe ten minutes while you're doing something else. You don't need to heat it at all. In fact, applying heat breaks down the sucrose molecules into glucose and fructose molecules, and smaller sugar molecules mean a less luscious mouthfeel. Cold process 2:1 syrup is superior in every case in my experience, and this includes things like grenadine.

Is 2:1 standard? I always thought 1:1 was until recently when I started using Difford’s. 2:1 seems so sweet to me.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
You use half as much 2:1, with the idea being you're adding the same amount of sugar and less water, resulting in a slightly less watered-down drink. In my experience it's a pretty minor difference unless you're making something with like an ounce of syrup in it.

Edit: with that said, it's no more work than making 1:1 syrup, so I do it anyway

Toebone fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 27, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
2:1 also has the advantage of being shelf stable, for simple syrup anyways.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I think the Cliff old fashioned recipe page in Liquid Intelligence might be the most photographed object in our apartment. Such a crowd pleaser, it's one of 2 drinks, the other being a carpano antica rye Manhattan, that I can give to anyone and know that they'll want another.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Booties posted:

Is 2:1 standard? I always thought 1:1 was until recently when I started using Difford’s. 2:1 seems so sweet to me.

You use less 2:1 than 1:1 in a drink, with the idea being that by doing so you're also adding less water to your drink. Also, if you're making a flavored syrup, 2:1 works better because sugar does a better job of extracting flavor from ingredients than water does, in my experience at least (and I bet Liquid Intelligence has something to say about that but I don't recall at the moment).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's also worth noting that because ~reasons~ a 2:1 syrup only tastes about 30% sweeter than a 1:1

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 28, 2021

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's also worth noting that because ~reasons~ a 2:1 syrup is only tastes about 30% sweeter than a 1:1

Yeah I could never get the answer to that question right on the GRE

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ooh I never thought of it but yeah it actually contains only 32% additional sugar!

For 1 oz of 1:1, you have 0.5 oz sugar
For 1 oz of 2:1, you have 0.66 oz sugar

66/50 = 1.32

This is related to one of my favorite math paradoxes*. If you do a slow warm-up lap around a track and your average speed is 1 mph, how fast do you need to go on your second lap to have an overall average of 2 mph for both laps? A: it is impossible. Your two laps combined would need to be twice the distance in the same amount of time. Twice the distance is two laps, but the same amount of time was already spent on the first lap only! The math only works out if your second lap takes 0 seconds.

* not actually a paradox, just seems impossible.

If a recipe calls for simple syrup, if it was a bartender you can probably assume they meant 2:1 unless the book says otherwise yeah? And a chef including just one or two cocktails in a normal recipe book, can probably assume 1:1 yeah?

In any case you should always taste and adjust but good to know starting points.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 28, 2021

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I would always assume 1:1 because that’s “simple.” I also never use 2:1 because then the recipes would change for everybody and only for those specific drinks that have rich syrup in them. So if a drink calls for .5oz simple syrup, is that equivalent to .5/1.32 = .37oz of rich syrup? I don’t have a jigger for .37oz. And one of the benefits is adding less water to the drink? Is .13oz that noticeable? Aren’t we adding a couple oz of water when we dilute anyways?
I could see using it in Old Fashioned style drinks where it’s .25oz or a splash of syrup, or in sours or longer drinks where the amount of simple approaches a full oz meaning it’s close to an even .75oz of rich.

I get the “richness” or mouthfeel factor. I don’t know that it’s enough to sway me, but I’ve never done side by sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Maestro posted:

I would always assume 1:1 because that’s “simple.” I also never use 2:1 because then the recipes would change for everybody and only for those specific drinks that have rich syrup in them. So if a drink calls for .5oz simple syrup, is that equivalent to .5/1.32 = .37oz of rich syrup? I don’t have a jigger for .37oz. And one of the benefits is adding less water to the drink? Is .13oz that noticeable? Aren’t we adding a couple oz of water when we dilute anyways?
I could see using it in Old Fashioned style drinks where it’s .25oz or a splash of syrup, or in sours or longer drinks where the amount of simple approaches a full oz meaning it’s close to an even .75oz of rich.

I get the “richness” or mouthfeel factor. I don’t know that it’s enough to sway me, but I’ve never done side by sides.

My house recipes are all calibrated for 2:1. If I'm reading a new recipe I want to try I can either figure out whether they're using 1:1 or 2:1, or just do it with 2:1 and adjust accordingly based on what the recipe looks like. I think you're overthinking this. And if you're adding a couple ounces of water when you shake/stir you are dramatically overshaking/stirring. About half an ounce of water is the norm.