Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
...more correctly, my fiancee found it in the basement of the office building at her new job. She didn't tell me what it was but said, "You need to see this". I am not sure what I expected but i was not prepared. What I found was some insane rich person's(?) car collection that has been mothballed and is quite literally collecting dust and tire rot. A great deal of the cars appear to be wrapped in cling film which is distressing at best but good god. The entire floor of the parking garage is taken up with this collection.

Without further ado, I present the Potomac Maryland treasure trove of what in the actual gently caress:

Whoa, ferraris right? Neat. Wait that green one looks odd. What exactly is that. Let's have a closer look:

Righthand drive - that's odd. This sure does look fami...oh good lord:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-415034/1967-bailey-p-34/

Yep, that's the car.

More Ferrari goodness:

My personal favorite - a pristine Pantera de Tomaso. I love this thing so much:

Gorgeous Gulf livery Aston:

Beautiful 'Vette. Really is something for everyone here. Don't mind my daughter poking around in the background.

Here's a bunch more presented without comment. There were more cars than I could take pictures of but the security guard (who was definitely giving us the side-eye) decided to let us be after my excited geeking out made him laugh a bit. I didn't want to wear out our welcome though.

...and finally, may I present the lamest Indy 500 pace car in existence:

(It has the Indy badging on the side)

Anyway, I plan on going back at some point in the near future but I figured I'd share it with you folks. I browse here a lot but never had anything worth sharing before.
Hope you enjoy!

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
great find!

must be nice to be so rich to abandon an entire fleet of exotic supercars without a care in the world.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Holy poo poo.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I was so jazzed when I got home last night I PM’ed Cat Interceptor with a preview and asked if I could make a thread and they said “yeah dude, go nuts”. I’m glad y’all get to enjoy them too.

I will go back and take more pictures.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Some Guy From NY posted:

great find!

must be nice to be so rich to abandon an entire fleet of exotic supercars without a care in the world.

Look, I’m willing to overlook the atrocity if the owner gifts me that Pantera.

Edit: on my local car nerd FB group, someone ID’ed the owner and he is 71 years old and is indeed rich. I am not going to post that information here but it’s not super hard to figure out given that one of the cars is literally a one-of.

When I was asking “who the hell owns this”, my speed shop guy said “haha I can’t give you details but I know exactly where you are”. I’m swinging by the shop tomorrow for details because I want to know what he knows.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 28, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Yeah fine to post a find like this but absolutly no identifying info or speculation pls.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Yeah sorry. I'm trying to walk the line here but lemme know if I need to redact anything above.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I hope you or anyone you know did not take the covers off because that is not cool. The cars are insane and awesome

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

if you were that loaded why would you just leave your collection in a public garage and not have your own building?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Tomarse posted:

if you were that loaded why would you just leave your collection in a public garage and not have your own building?

Yeah it’s a mystery. Most were very dusty and clearly hadn’t moved in a long time. Some had visible tire rot.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's the kind of thing you do when you own the building and are cheap enough to use it as overflow storage.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

LloydDobler posted:

That's the kind of thing you do when you own the building and are cheap enough to use it as overflow storage.

That is our theory as well but it is unsubstantiated and mostly unfounded

The only reason I’m not sure on this is that at least one of those cars is a “one-of” and probably belongs in a showroom somewhere. Why would anyone go out of their way to buy it otherwise?

Our other theory is that something bad happened to the original storage space and this is a temporary move but that does not explain the dust and tire rot.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 29, 2021

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Also yeah, I will own that I did move the soft car covers on my own with the caveat being that I was incredibly respectful, removed them in such a way that the cars would not in any way be harmed (the soft covers had microfiber-esque interiors and I only pulled them back far enough to take pictures) and I put them all back the way they were after I took pics.

I own a car I care about more than I probably should and I was 100% respectful of the owner’s vehicles and know how to do those sorts of things without being reckless.

Didn’t want to just breeze by that. If I’m a dickhead for doing that, so be it (and I would be happy to tell the owner of the cars the same).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey I am in no way a good person…just when it comes to cars no matter the circumstances best to leave peoples stuff alone even if it seems insane that they can’t be seen. All good man…it’s just one of those things. All good

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Update: Swung by my speed shop today and talked to the owner. The origin story of the collection is pretty boring but he did say it has been sitting there untouched for ~8 years or so. He also said there are others in the area that put it to shame (the number he threw out was "valued at 800m") but wouldn't say where or who owned it. I would ask more questions but rich Potomac people are gonna be rich Potomac people.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 30, 2021

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
I’m unsurprised that collection is still sitting there, albeit in worse shape than when I last saw it. My guess was that these would be stuck in place until the owner passed away. Not sure why I’m surprised to see this here, but I am.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

pr0craztinazn posted:

I’m unsurprised that collection is still sitting there, albeit in worse shape than when I last saw it. My guess was that these would be stuck in place until the owner passed away. Not sure why I’m surprised to see this here, but I am.

I think you’re probably right but hi fellow MoCo person. Some of those cars have cling film wrapped so tightly on them I would be shocked if there wasn’t clearcoat/paint damage.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 1, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
years ago a friend of mine who wasn't in to cars told me about a stash similar to this one underneath the retirement home his grandma lived at - turns out this is a pretty common thing people do to store cars - buildings lease spots to people for pretty reasonable prices - chances are they are not abandoned, but Rich E. Rich probably just needs a place to put his B-String cars while his new mancave is being constructed.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Wild. Well if you make friends with the old guy that owns these, please tell him I’d be more than willing to buy that Pantera off him for about half of what it’s worth.
Edit: Upon discovering what a pristine GT-5 goes for, I'm going to have to lower my offer to about 33% of what it's worth.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Also some digging, I realized that the Pantera I'm obsessed with is not just any car but a motherfucking GT-5 (the wing gives it away) and it's just sitting there lonely dying on its own. I would drive that mofo every day just for people to point and incorrectly go "hey look at that Countach"

I think that vented hood is custom though because none of the factory models I see have it. Also the flared fenders might also be custom. Not sure there.

Edit: Nope, those flared fenders were a thing on the 89 GT-5 with that crazy wide stance.

Still don't care. I would drive the poo poo out of that thing.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 1, 2021