Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Relentless posted:

Good, gently caress 'em! Go celebrate/mourn. A wake for your relationship with your stepdad.

A wake is usually to celebrate people, isn’t it? Why would they want to celebrate a who by his account sounds like an absolute blithering poo poo bag waste of air and space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

life is killing me posted:

A wake is usually to celebrate people, isn’t it? Why would they want to celebrate a who by his account sounds like an absolute blithering poo poo bag waste of air and space?

I thought "wake" was another word for "funeral", you learn something new every day! but yeah, maybe a "good riddance" party would be more fitting

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Barudak posted:

Hey, congrats on standing up for your child and bettering their life.

bee posted:

This, plus standing up for yourself and bettering yours. I think you're very brave.

All of these things here.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I thought "wake" was another word for "funeral", you learn something new every day! but yeah, maybe a "good riddance" party would be more fitting

Eh I could be wrong, too. I guess it’s subjective to the people holding/attending the wake but now that I think of it I’ve rarely been to a wake that wasn’t mostly somber and sorrowful

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
A wake is a meeting after a funeral in the UK, before a funeral in other places. People sending out the funeral-and-wake invitations are apt to tell you they want it to be a celebration of the deceased's life, but I don't think that makes any difference to what actually happens

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
The visceral part of me thinks "should've exacted the same pain he inflicted on your daughter" when your shitbag of a stepfather told you to kiss his rear end, telling your mom "I thought he said to KICK his rear end, so I complied :haw:" but forgetting about them and living your best life will be all the revenge these assholes deserve. Good for you!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Really happy for you and your family Ghostnuke.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have an aunt and uncle who are about to enter this thread's exalted ranks, and I think everyone's seen it coming but them.

Problem is, I have two cousins. Aged 23 and... 4. The oops baby has some kind of neurological disorder, I don't know the details if it's autism, down's, or something else. As far as I know, it's the kind where he'll probably never be capable of living independently. So my aunt and uncle have made it very clear for years that they expect his big sister to take care of him. She's made it very clear that she will not, she hates how much her parents have tried to warp her life around her little brother. She has just announced that she got a job offer in her fiance's home country overseas, so she and her fiance are now planning to move [back] to the fiance's home country. When my aunt and uncle get around to responding... this is gonna be a shitshow.

I'm turning off all my social media in advance.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I have an aunt and uncle who are about to enter this thread's exalted ranks, and I think everyone's seen it coming but them.

Problem is, I have two cousins. Aged 23 and... 4. The oops baby has some kind of neurological disorder, I don't know the details if it's autism, down's, or something else. As far as I know, it's the kind where he'll probably never be capable of living independently. So my aunt and uncle have made it very clear for years that they expect his big sister to take care of him. She's made it very clear that she will not, she hates how much her parents have tried to warp her life around her little brother. She has just announced that she got a job offer in her fiance's home country overseas, so she and her fiance are now planning to move [back] to the fiance's home country. When my aunt and uncle get around to responding... this is gonna be a shitshow.

I'm turning off all my social media in advance.

gently caress that, leave it on and support your cousin drat the consequences, the family that will be offended by it is poo poo anyway.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oops looks like y'all made... what are they called, *choices*? Oh nooooo here comes the personal responsibility fairy how tragic

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

gently caress that, leave it on and support your cousin drat the consequences, the family that will be offended by it is poo poo anyway.

Seconding this. There'll be a dogpile on your cousin that they may not be able to deal with. Support them by making sure they won't have to deal with it alone.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

shame on an IGA posted:

oops looks like y'all made... what are they called, *choices*? Oh nooooo here comes the personal responsibility fairy how tragic
Yeah, like, I believed every disabled person should have the support they need but part of why I'm so adamant on that being a governmentally provided thing is because an insane amount of people try to rope their other kids into life-long bondage. That's not even healthy for the disabled relative! Caretaking is a full time job and being thrust into it without support leads to worse outcomes!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, like, I believed every disabled person should have the support they need but part of why I'm so adamant on that being a governmentally provided thing is because an insane amount of people try to rope their other kids into life-long bondage. That's not even healthy for the disabled relative! Caretaking is a full time job and being thrust into it without support leads to worse outcomes!

ayyyyo from direct experience

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PetraCore posted:

My dad caretaking his parents full time for 5 years basically destroyed him as a person physically and mentally.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

My older sister is going to need full-time care for the rest of her life and I love her very much, but one of the best parenting decisions my parents ever made was taking full advantage of government services up to and including group homes we pay a lot of attention to as a family, because my sister needs full-time care for the rest of her life.

Obviously the amount of support available varies, and even now the government is moving my sister's home to a completely different caretaking contractor because it's cheaper and gently caress letting the people who have a history with those specific disabled adults keep caring for them, right? So like, yeah, sometimes sacrifices have to be made, but somehow in these monstrous family stories it's never about finding the money to hire people to help, it's about using a relative as unpaid labor for the rest of their life.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's worse when, upon finding out that their child is going to need care for life, have a second kid to take care of the first.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welp, the estranged parents train is leaving the station, judging by my cousin's public post this morning.

quote:

Mom, Dad:

Stop acting like this is a split second decision I've made because of [fiance]. I've been telling you from the moment you told me that you were pregnant that I don't intend to take care of [brother] forever.

It was your decision to bring a child into this world who you knew from the doctors had a high risk of developmental disability. Your decision. Not mine.

You were the ones who decided I couldn't play soccer at school, or join the debate team, or get a part-time job, or any number of things I wanted to do, because it was my responsibility as the older sister to rush home from school every day to take over caring for [brother]. I earned an almost full ride scholarship to [major university], but you decided that I would attend [community college] instead, so I could stay at home and take care of [brother].

I doubt you remember it that way, of course. After all, 'we make all decisions as a family.'

Stop blaming [fiance] for controlling me, or abusing me, or leading me astray. This is my decision. Not hers, and not yours. I'm willing to provide financial support for [brother]'s needs, if an unbiased source can demonstrate a clear need that you can't provide and proof that any such money I would send is being used for that purpose.

What I will not allow is to be chained to [brother] for the rest of my life, and your suggestion that [fiance] and I should think of it as our child since we're women and can't have one of our own easily is simply gross.

We've already started the paperwork, and I'll be buying the plane ticket as soon as my visa arrives.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Your cousin is a napalm laying motherfucker and awesome.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Your cousin is a napalm laying motherfucker and awesome.

hell yeah, scorch that earth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Welp, the estranged parents train is leaving the station, judging by my cousin's public post this morning.

Thats a real "I did it 35 minutes ago" energy

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That message owns.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cythereal posted:

Emotional / intellectual flying elbow, right off the top turnbuckle
https://imgur.com/gallery/FANo3

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On a personal aside, has 'we make all decisions as a family' ever not been a huge red flag?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

On a personal aside, has 'we make all decisions as a family' ever not been a huge red flag?

Works pretty good for the Torettos

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

quote:

[...] your suggestion that [fiance] and I should think of it as our child since we're women and can't have one of our own easily is simply gross.

:wtc:

Good on your cousin for not getting drawn into a spiral of bullshit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

YAY for the cousin, and her badarse message. She is doing everything right.
BOO to the parents, with an extra BOO for the misogyny and homophobia added on. ("You are a lesbian couple, so you cant have kids the normal way. Hows about you take care of our kid and pretend its yours. You're both women so obviously you love little kids.")

But some thought should also be there for the kid himself. His parents have proven they don't want him, and consider him a burden that they tried to foist off on to his elder sister. An elder sister that, even though she lives overseas, is still prepared to send back the money to pay for his care. Care his actual parents can't seem to be arsed to give him.

That's got to be tough .

And agreeing. "We all make decisions as a family" is code for "you will do what I say or I will shame/bully you for daring to go against me". gently caress that. My dad still tries to do that to me sometimes, and I am a grown arse man.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Thats a real "I did it 35 minutes ago" energy

yea i wouldn't announce the plan like that unless it's already well underway. maybe it's a smokescreen so they can say "i already left bitches" when called out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Light Gun Man posted:

yea i wouldn't announce the plan like that unless it's already well underway. maybe it's a smokescreen so they can say "i already left bitches" when called out.

From what I know - understand that these are people I only see in person on Thanksgiving and Christmas - the timeline is that she's been talking about doing this ever since she got engaged, and announced yesterday that she got the actual letter of acceptance from the company and has started on the paperwork to get the visa.

Personally, I suspect that she didn't publicly say anything until she was 100% certain that this would work.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Good for her and gently caress them parents. I feel bad for the kid but he's not her responsibility.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

From what I know - understand that these are people I only see in person on Thanksgiving and Christmas - the timeline is that she's been talking about doing this ever since she got engaged, and announced yesterday that she got the actual letter of acceptance from the company and has started on the paperwork to get the visa.

Personally, I suspect that she didn't publicly say anything until she was 100% certain that this would work.

I hope it all goes well!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Cousin rules.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Crossposting from r/relationships thread:

AITA for telling my daughter that she traumatized me?

quote:

As much as it pains me to say this, before my daughter turned 17, I didn’t feel any love for her. I didn’t even like her, really. She certainly thought I did, but on the inside I just couldn’t feel anything but annoyance towards her. She was very manipulative and needy and needed constant attention; I know this is a common feeling in parents, but I feel so ashamed to actually say it out loud.

Two particularly traumatic instances for me were 1) I was going through an extremely tough time, and she wasn’t there for me. She never gave me support or comfort that I needed, and there is no worse feeling than being betrayed by family. She was a teenager and old enough to know better and 2) there was a period when she was really pestering me to take her to a psychologist, and one time I caught her forcing herself to throw up. I didn’t know what to do and felt completely helpless.

She’s 18 now and lots better. She almost never complains about anything and is always there when I need a shoulder to cry on. My two older children were visiting last night and we were discussing family memories, and while we were joking I mentioned in passing to her “you really hosed me up good”. She asked what I meant, and I told her about the two incidents I mentioned before. She got quiet and eventually said “you know, I really needed your help back then. And you just… wouldn’t.”

I told her that I needed her help too, but she came back with “I’m your DAUGHTER”. I told her “yes, and I’m your mother. What’s your point?” She ended up going home with her older sister and she won’t return any of my calls. Her older sister called me and said that I had really hurt her last night, and that I needed to apologize.

I, personally, don’t feel like I owe my daughter anything. She’s abused me her whole life, AITA for not being “understanding”?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Light Gun Man posted:

I hope it all goes well!

It sounds like it is. I'm not privy to some of what's been going on, but I think my cousin dropped the "if we go NC that means you won't see your grandchildren" line and that's done wonders to make her parents more cooperative. :v:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Daughter hated being an emotional support dog for her extremely selfish and narcissistic mother, who’da thunk it

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Crossposting from r/relationships thread:

AITA for telling my daughter that she traumatized me?

I see so much of my mom in this one it's incredibly infuriating.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

As much as it pains me to say this, before my daughter turned 17, I didn’t feel any love for her. I didn’t even like her, really. She certainly thought I did, but on the inside I just couldn’t feel anything but annoyance towards her. She was very manipulative and needy and needed constant attention; I know this is a common feeling in parents, but I feel so ashamed to actually say it out loud.

What the gently caress, according to who? Do these loving lunatics seriously think it's 100% normal to not love your children and all the other parents are just pretending? Jesus christ. I feel nothing but burning hatred for this woman.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Lasca fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 8, 2022

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

What the gently caress, according to who? Do these loving lunatics seriously think it's 100% normal to not love your children and all the other parents are just pretending? Jesus christ. I feel nothing but burning hatred for this woman.

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes, she seriously believes it. One thing I've noticed with almost all the stories in this thread is that these people really do believe that they know what everyone else is thinking (and it's always something twisted and horrible).

They know that their estranged children are just pretending, and are disobeying solely to hurt the parents. It makes sense. If they are narcissists, then everything they think must be the best opinion ever, so of course everyone agrees with them. And anyone who doesn't is deliberately thinking the wrong way just to offend.

It's partial solipsism I guess. They don't believe that they are the only person who exists, but like small children they just can't imagine other people having independent thoughts.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

quote:

She was very manipulative and needy and needed constant attention

Must have been difficult, giving birth to a mirror.

Or as the kids say, turn on your monitor lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thing is I guarantee her daughter was not manipulative and needy, but just a normal child.
Why have kids if you begrudge them being a child and having needs? If you don't want to give to them?

I don't understand. My mom is like this and it's so insanely hurtful. I just had a daughter of my own and it's really hammered home that holy poo poo I can't imagine treating her the way my family treated me.