Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

Ours had containers of raw tuna poke regularly two years ago. Spicy and regular.

I used to grab a couple avocados and make sushi rice and it was a great dinner.

Must not have sold well here.

I haven't seen the Korean seaweed salad in like two months here. Is it seasonal or something?

Also the CostCo in Kalispel had packages of tritip. Not diced up bullshit tritip but actual, raw, whole multipound tritip. The local midwest CostCo has the lovely prepacked preseasoned tritip that's maybe a lb or two and overseasoned and overpriced. WTF CostCo? Not only the west coast can do tritip! C'MON SON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Soul Dentist posted:

Where on earth is out of bourbon?

Also, I tried to make a bunch of actual fermented pickles out of the mini cukes and got a super musty aftertaste. Is that a product of not washing enough or just poor methods?

Pretty sure there's some tricks to get them crispy

Try the pickling thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skipdogg posted:

Yep, we're doing this again. It's transportation bottlenecks now, not manufacturing from what I've heard. Not enough trucks to get the product out.

Between Covid, and Texas snowpocalypse earlier this year I now stockpile the poo poo out of things now.

Well gently caress

What sucks is that I haven't gone to Costco in like 2-3 months because I haven't needed anything, and I chose today because our TP was getting low. I don't keep very clued into what's hard to get and why but thinking back on my trip, it was kinda odd that I couldn't get certain things that I normally take for granted.

And the price of beef is outrageous. I dropped $70 on 4 filet mignon steaks. It's a birthday dinner for my wife so it's okay but she better loving enjoy it because I'm not buying them again for a while.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Soul Dentist posted:

Where on earth is out of bourbon?

Also, I tried to make a bunch of actual fermented pickles out of the mini cukes and got a super musty aftertaste. Is that a product of not washing enough or just poor methods?

The one by my work just outside of St. Louis. Zero bourbon. It's fuckin weird.

Also on the cukes, if you did a fermented pickle, it could be the variety that is making them taste off. I get really good results with a traditional fermentation cycle with Straight 8s but never with the minis.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

norp posted:

Pretty sure there's some tricks to get them crispy

Try the pickling thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Dope. Thanks!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

The one by my work just outside of St. Louis. Zero bourbon. It's fuckin weird.

Also on the cukes, if you did a fermented pickle, it could be the variety that is making them taste off. I get really good results with a traditional fermentation cycle with Straight 8s but never with the minis.

I just like gherkins and Costco so much lol. I buy the Vlasic Simply two pack and it's my jam, but I feel I could do better (read: garlickier). I don't do chips or slices as much. It could very well be the process as I let them go a loooong time, so I'll try again before switching varieties.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Soul Dentist posted:

I just like gherkins and Costco so much lol. I buy the Vlasic Simply two pack and it's my jam, but I feel I could do better (read: garlickier). I don't do chips or slices as much. It could very well be the process as I let them go a loooong time, so I'll try again before switching varieties.

Legit, I have just been stuffing entire cloves of garlic in the jar with the Vlasics and shoving them in the back of the fridge. Might not do anything much but I'll have pickley garlic eventually maybe.

Have you had the pink pickled turnips from the cold cases? They fuckin slap. Also they have just-ok danmuji.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also broken down, after being picked over by a couple hungry people, I got almost 2lb of meat off of a god damned rotisserie chicken. Maybe I'll make a tray of enchiladas and freeze it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also broken down, after being picked over by a couple hungry people, I got almost 2lb of meat off of a god damned rotisserie chicken. Maybe I'll make a tray of enchiladas and freeze it.

After eating all the limbs the night of getting one, I cool it in the fridge overnight, then use my hands to tear the rest of the meat off and put in sealed containers.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

Legit, I have just been stuffing entire cloves of garlic in the jar with the Vlasics and shoving them in the back of the fridge. Might not do anything much but I'll have pickley garlic eventually maybe.

Have you had the pink pickled turnips from the cold cases? They fuckin slap. Also they have just-ok danmuji.

Ooh not a bad idea. Could be a reason to buy the jar of whole peeled cloves instead of the minced garlic

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Soul Dentist posted:

Ooh not a bad idea. Could be a reason to buy the jar of whole peeled cloves instead of the minced garlic

It's really easy to just peel it yourself rather than relying on Chinese slave/prison/genocide labor to peel it for you. Not trying to get all CSPAM up in here, but the stuff comes from a pretty disgusting source.

If you aren't comfortable smashing with a knife use a bench scraper. If you don't have a bench scraper (why not?) just squish it with the meat of your palm.

Costco bagged garlic is kind of lovely, really. They brag about the high Brix, aka sugar. That makes it burn fast. Some onion+garlic recipes have you start the garlic in the pan first: not a good idea with the high-sugar Costco garlic. You really want to sweat the onions with some salt and oil before adding Costco garlic.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chinatown posted:

After eating all the limbs the night of getting one, I cool it in the fridge overnight, then use my hands to tear the rest of the meat off and put in sealed containers.

Then you toss the rest in the instapot, cover with water, add your favorite herbs/spices, even more garlic, and let go for a few hours.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

It's really easy to just peel it yourself rather than relying on Chinese slave/prison/genocide labor to peel it for you. Not trying to get all CSPAM up in here, but the stuff comes from a pretty disgusting source.

If you aren't comfortable smashing with a knife use a bench scraper. If you don't have a bench scraper (why not?) just squish it with the meat of your palm.

Costco bagged garlic is kind of lovely, really. They brag about the high Brix, aka sugar. That makes it burn fast. Some onion+garlic recipes have you start the garlic in the pan first: not a good idea with the high-sugar Costco garlic. You really want to sweat the onions with some salt and oil before adding Costco garlic.

I cooked for a living for a decade, so knife skills aren't really a problem. Good point though about the sugar.

Also once again the church's supply chain is above reproach, unless they're using Chinese genocide labor in California:

https://www.costco.com/christopher-ranch-monviso-peeled-garlic%2C-3-lbs.product.100446625.html

(Yes I bet the California workers aren't treated great either, relatively speaking, but no ethical consumption in the Costco thread etc )

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Chinatown posted:

That's actually a good idea; I didn't let it cool enough and it was still pretty warm in the carcass.

I did make stock from the carcass tho and it's real nice. Def making enchiladas tonight for the freezer.

Re: garlic, just buy a shitload of the Gilroy Garlic from Costco, use the two bowl method to mostly peel it, finish with your fingers and stuff the cloves into your pickles. Add some mustard seed and Aleppo pepper too; very nice.

I'm also making additional pickled red onions and serranos tonight; I rely pretty heavily on them to make my sad bean bowl lunches less sad. Beans are great but when you eat a bowl of beans almost every day at lunch you gotta add stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The last time this happened, it was only at Costco. You could walk into any other store and by TP.

Also, last time is when Costco switched to the smaller rolls/packages of TP and Paper Towels so they wouldn't have these supply issues going forward.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Our store here has plenty of TP which was good because I needed to get more.

They also had stroopwafel ice cream sandwiches which I have never seen before. Going to give them a try.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My Costco must be weird.

Last week or the week before, no paper towels. Lots of TP.

Today, lots of paper towels, no TP.

I’m not even in a big pandemic-affected area.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

No one is hoarding things right now, they have a supply chain issue.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
literally everyone has supply chain issues right now. they were out of avocados at my local supermarket yesterday and i live in a region where they are grown and go for less than $1 each!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

But what happens when the supply chains to supply repair items to the supply chains have supply chain issues so the supply chain can't continue being an efficient supply chain

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

DoubleT2172 posted:

But what happens when the supply chains to supply repair items to the supply chains have supply chain issues so the supply chain can't continue being an efficient supply chain

Amazon drone TP right to my bhole

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

DoubleT2172 posted:

Bidet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FogHelmut posted:

The last time this happened, it was only at Costco. You could walk into any other store and by TP.

Not here. Sold out everywhere including all rice, most canned goods, and other staples.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Just had a grade A depression meal from Costco. Vegetarian yakisoba dressed up with dinner golden mountain sauce, sweet chili sauce, and furikake followed by a Red's microwaveable bean and cheese burrito with the 505 and Cholula on top

PBUC and frozen foods

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That sounds awesome compared to my last depression meal which was expired Kirkland Black Forest Ham and Kirkland Mexican cheese blend broiled over Keto-friendly bread. Obv all from Costco. The ham didn't even get warm.

(In before "when I was a kid we ate literal trash out of a shoe" sorry)

Still PBUC because where else would I get it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

dinner golden mountain sauce
This is the first time I've heard of this and after searching it I think I'm gonna have to get some.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man if y'all's lives are free of golden mountain sauce, you should remedy that immediately. It's the good poo poo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Just had a grade A depression meal from Costco. Vegetarian yakisoba dressed up with dinner golden mountain sauce, sweet chili sauce, and furikake followed by a Red's microwaveable bean and cheese burrito with the 505 and Cholula on top

PBUC and frozen foods

i had arbys today

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I didn't know Costco sold Arbys

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Arby's sells their curly fries frozen at the supermarket. Maybe some Costcos have that?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Costco gas is $0.48 cheaper than my corner gas station. How!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Costco gas is $0.48 cheaper than my corner gas station. How!

Ground up sea shells and water.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Same with shrimp lol

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Your local gas station sells shrimp?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gas station shrimp is a delicacy in Iowa, I'll have you know.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Mormon Nailer posted:

Gas station shrimp is a delicacy in Iowa, I'll have you know.

Costco: gas station shrimp is a delicacy in Iowa, I'll have you know

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Let the microwaveable butter packets wash over you.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The crunchy ones from the back of the rollers are the best

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

My favorite part is when you can't tell the shrimp from the hot dog because it all tastes like burnt rot by day 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Mormon Nailer posted:

My favorite part is when you can't tell the shrimp from the hot dog because it all tastes like burnt rot by day 3.

Wait, is this an actual thing and not ironic posts? I require proof.