Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

So, tell us more about this "psy-corps"...

probably thought the fake commerical was a good idea

Is it a true story that JMS had to actually get it cleared to air even as a joke, and the subliminal message still had to last a certain number of frames or it was illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep! I put some spoilers around that, please take care in this thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pentyne posted:

Is it a true story that JMS had to actually get it cleared to air even as a joke, and the subliminal message still had to last a certain number of frames or it was illegal?

He didn't have to clear it, but it is true that the "subliminal" message is exactly one frame longer than the mandated legal minimum display time. Images need to be at least three frames long, and the one in the Psi Corps ad is four.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

probably thought the fake commerical was a good idea

Hate to be the party pooper, but this is the blind watch thread. Most folks, from their posting, haven't gotten to that episode yet. And it's such a funny bit I wouldn't want it spoiled for me if I could prevent it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Hollismason posted:

Goddamn I'm at Season 1 Episode 23 Goddamn what a episode I don't remember any of this its so loving good goddamn

That's the right goddamn quotient for a Babylon 5 season-ender.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah I'm watching it through HBO Max The Gathering was the first episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Not a lot of activity in this thread but I'm now all the way to season 2 Episode 18 and its totally loving addictive now. drat is it good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So good. What did you think about the shift in commanders?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought it was done pretty well. I like Sheridan but Sinclair had his own charm. Not sure why they changed it like they did and then having Sinclair show up again and in charge of the Rangers.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hollismason posted:

I thought it was done pretty well. I like Sheridan but Sinclair had his own charm. Not sure why they changed it like they did and then having Sinclair show up again and in charge of the Rangers.

The short answer is, at the time it was never explained and many people assumed network fuckery. In truth, the actor playing Sinclair, Michael O'Hare, was struggling with Paranoid Schizophrenia, which was apparently exacerbated by the stress of working on a TV Series, and, especially, a TV Series in which he was on set with people in monster suits and poo poo all the time. He literally just could not handle the job in his condition, and was lashing out at people and hallucinating at inopportune moments. Very few people knew the truth, and it only came out after his death, in keeping with his own wishes on the matter. :/

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 26, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's depressing. I just got to episode 21 Season 2

Thoughts so far

I kind of got the impression Ivanova and Lyta were romantically involved kind of sucks to see Lyta go because I really liked that character and its kind of a bummer ending. Londo is a different story dude just kind of made a deal with the devil which was kind of depressing as well .

This show really really doesn't mind doing downer episodes. Very rarely are there episodes where its like " Oh there's a good outcome". No its most all just death and more death.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 26, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

I kind of got the impression Ivanova and Lyta were romantically involved kind of sucks to see Lyta go because I really liked that character and its kind of a bummer ending.

Talia, and the show isn't subtle with it for the 90s

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh right yeah dunno why I kept thinking Lyta

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Chevy Slyme posted:

The short answer is, at the time it was never explained and many people assumed network fuckery. In truth, the actor playing Sinclair, Michael O'Hare, was struggling with Paranoid Schizophrenia, which was apparently exacerbated by the stress of working on a TV Series, and, especially, a TV Series in which he was on set with people in monster suits and poo poo all the time. He literally just could not handle the job in his condition, and was lashing out at people and hallucinating at inopportune moments. Very few people knew the truth, and it only came out after his death, in keeping with his own wishes on the matter. :/

I really appreciate how O'Hare handled it, according to JMS.

JMS: "Look, I think you're having problems, and I know they're deeply personal so I will keep this secret until I die."
O'Hare: "No, keep this secret until I die, and then tell people about it. I don't want to deal with people's reactions, but if telling my story can help other people please do that."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's kind of depressing. I'm now on Season 3 Episode 1! Holy poo poo that ender for Season 2 I totally forgot that. I'm surprised so far with what I don't remember. Really sucks to see that guy who was going looking for Shadows die , but drat dude you kind of got what you came for

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

there's a funny story about that guy i'll tell it in the other thread

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

sebmojo posted:

there's a funny story about that guy i'll tell it in the other thread

Love to hear it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Start watching again when I can, or wait for the reboot?

:thunk:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You might be waiting a very long time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In development means probably not going to happen, started filming is when you start your expectation engines.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Even if it goes forward it's going to be a few years. And it's not guaranteed to actually go forward so I'd say keep watching.

Besides, if you don't finish before new B5 comes out then you're going to miss out on pointing out all the changes!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“You see, the Centauri didn’t have glowing horns in the original…”

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The_Doctor posted:

I've heard the reboot/continuation song before. There was supposed to be a movie at one point, a new spin off show another time, and who knows what else that I may have missed over the years. If they actually get to the point of filming something, then maybe I'll believe it, and maybe not even then.

For that matter, since the reboot is supposed to be a "ground up" complete re-do, who knows how much or little of the original B5 will even be in the new show....if it ever even gets off the ground. And even if it does somehow materialize, it won't be for years and even with JMS doing some of the writing, no guarantee that it'll be any good! One need look no further than Discovery or Picard to see what might happen when you reboot a beloved science fiction TV show, after all.

Which is to say, you should probably continue this watch through. Babylon 5 (1993) is a classic. Babylon 5 (202?) is a mystery at best.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jng2058 posted:

One need look no further than Discovery or Picard to see what might happen when you reboot a beloved science fiction TV show, after all.

They're not reboots though, not even to the extent that Voyager is a TNG reboot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm all the way to Season 3 Episode 10 Was not expecting a full out totalitarian regime from Earth. Things are getting really good I dont know where this is heading

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

at the time it seemed entertaining but laughably over the top lol :smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It totally took me by surprise I don't remember any of this. It's so loving good. I'm really addicted and I haven't been skipping episodes!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sebmojo posted:

at the time it seemed entertaining but laughably over the top lol :smith:

The way ISN news operates is depressingly familiar

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

McCloud posted:

The way ISN news operates is depressingly familiar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fwsLvfmn_Y

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 29, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They really should have cut S03e08-10 into a movie and maybe added a couple of scenes. I've shown that to people as a standalone movie and they loved it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The United States posted:

[Video of a TV]
This is still the blind watch thread.

mllaneza posted:

They really should have cut S03e08-10 into a movie and maybe added a couple of scenes. I've shown that to people as a standalone movie and they loved it.
I should try that sometime. It sounds like a cool idea. Need the right mix of "friend who hasn't seen Babylon 5" and "friend who doesn't mind mid-S3 spoilers for Babylon 5."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I apparently fell asleep to B5 last night and now I don't know what episode I'm on. Dammit.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Time to start from the beginning again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think I left off at S3 Episode 14 , doesn't seem familiar before that I remember watching "King Arthur" comes back

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just chiming in again to say that I made it to Season 3 E16 War Without end PART 1. Oh poo poo A part 1 means there is going to be a part 2. Last episode Super loving depressing, Kosh died, Londo went back to working with the Shadows after being manipulated by Morgan. drat. The Doctor just loving QUIT because he was addicted to Stim, goddamn this episode had so much poo poo going on and its just like a mid season episode

I continue to not remember any of this which is good. I know of some stuff that is going to happen FUTURE SPOILERS I know at some point Sheridan is captured by Earthcore? And given a poisoned corn beef sandwich I think? I know he goes to Zah Ha Doom. Uh I know Morden gets his come uppance , G Kar Loses his eye. I remember that

Anyway that's all I remember right now.

Super loving addictive and I've still got like 44 to I guess like 55 episodes to go which is pretty sweet. Kind of I feel at the half way mark of the series.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 30, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hollismason posted:

Just chiming in again to say that I made it to Season 3 E16 War Without end PART 1. Oh poo poo A part 1 means there is going to be a part 2. Last episode Super loving depressing, Kosh died, Londo went back to working with the Shadows after being manipulated by Morgan. drat. The Doctor just loving QUIT because he was addicted to Stim, goddamn this episode had so much poo poo going on and its just like a mid season episode

I continue to not remember any of this which is good. I know of some stuff that is going to happen FUTURE SPOILERS I know at some point Sheridan is captured by Earthcore? And given a poisoned corn beef sandwich I think? I know he goes to Zah Ha Doom. Uh I know Morden gets his come uppance , G Kar Loses his eye. I remember that

Anyway that's all I remember right now.

Super loving addictive and I've still got like 44 to I guess like 55 episodes to go which is pretty sweet. Kind of I feel at the half way mark of the series.

You are literally at the halfway mark of the series.

(Actually, like 3-4 episodes past it by episode count, but if you include In The Beginning/Thirdspace, you’re right about there by actual runtime)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Hollismason posted:

Just chiming in again to say that I made it to Season 3 E16 War Without end PART 1. Oh poo poo A part 1 means there is going to be a part 2.

I don't know about you but I'd be pretty livid if a war "without end" would end with a single episode in this context :V

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Erulisse posted:

I don't know about you but I'd be pretty livid if a war "without end" would end with a single episode in this context :V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL_pRiXov7Q

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh drat got to Season 3 Episode 20 And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place. I don't know where this is going I've gotten about half way through and I need to finish it later , but drat G'Kar what the gently caress are you doing going back to Narn homeworld you crazy fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well I made it Season 4 Episode 7 Lots of things! I had forgotten Vir killing the emperor. I did remember Mr. Morden's fate but it was still good to see. G'Kar! I wonder whats going to happen to him? The Vorlon Shadow conflict is over! What now? What's left? Earth? I have no idea. Sheridan only getting 20 years to live was interesting I'd forgotten that. Londo's fate from the future looks like it's probably going to come true maybe? I dunno if that future has changed.

Well this has been quite the wild ride. I have no idea whats going to happen next though. This is as far as I remember. I know of some stuff that happens. Also apparently there's a whole nother season? WTF.