Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw0YnQtNx8g&t=135s

I am Aethewin, the god of clumsy and obvious allegory, and I will not be vaccinated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the new elder scrolls has better faces i guess, but the writing is still terrible

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kagon posted:

I've been trying to figure out how much we're seeing is actually real. There's been a lot of things such as character spoiler Lexis' tail which I'm like this can't be what's actually happening here. I think most importantly, they've set up the show in such a way that I don't care what's real and what isn't- I'm absolutely along for the ride.

Evil spoilers- Lexis' tail was the best drat depiction of what body dysmorphia is like that I've ever seen on film and it's where it all clicked for me. That poo poo is so real when you're going through it, and even when you're getting better, you still see the old things that you used to see, like how she still sees the tail at the end, it's just... somehow, you don't think those things are "evil" anymore, and you can start to accept them. drat that actress loving killed it in that role, the ending where she's all "aww my cute devil tail, it's unique". :laffo:

By making it a monster tail, it brings to mind all the weird religious demon poo poo we've seen so far, and it really lets you see how issues like that are just as irrational and just as real and powerful to the people who have them as beliefs that people have in god and jesus and the devil. And a lot of other mental health issues are the same way. Like, does Krysten think she's possessed by demons, or does she have an irrational fixation on her womb being evil and corrupt that she needs to burn out and purify with crosses? Either way of looking at it works.

It doesn't matter whether it's real or not, it's all just metaphor, like the whole "psychiatry is the new religion" thing. Except I don't think they're trying to be dismissive of psychiatry. Or religion, for that matter. The point is that "evil" is a real thing that exists, and our personal lenses and frameworks will determine if we see Leland as literally being under a satanic influence, or just really emotionally unstable, but it kind of doesn't matter. They're really starting to dig into what exactly "Evil" is and where it comes from and what defines it and that's dope af.

If anyone can make an avatar gif of that scene where she's frustratedly slapping the tail at around 23:00 I would be ever loving grateful.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Looks like Archer coming back again, I thought this was the last season especially without Jessica Walter. I assuming that will be a storyline in the way the actor who played Woodhouse was.

https://twitter.com/HJBenjamin/status/1442989791478308869?s=19

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bring McCoy back you schmucks.
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1442966434108215303

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hahaha wtf?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
B5 reboot means they might actually get those FanMod HD remaster on BluStreams!!!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Halfway through rewatching season 2 of Doom Patrol to remember what happened and I forgot how batshit crazy this show is. I love it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

swickles posted:

Halfway through rewatching season 2 of Doom Patrol to remember what happened and I forgot how batshit crazy this show is. I love it.

The episode where everyone gets stupid is so amazing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The episode where everyone gets stupid is so amazing.

I am on the party episode now and the idea to have a party is so trite (but from like 80s movies) but also bizarre and crazy and now cliff gets ecstacy so yay for him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wha

wow

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

swickles posted:

I am on the party episode now and the idea to have a party is so trite (but from like 80s movies) but also bizarre and crazy and now cliff gets ecstacy so yay for him.

And the Sex Men just showed up

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:doink:

Hell yea let's go

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Looks like the real Law and Order president... was Biden!!!!!

*everyone throws things at me*

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Looks like the real Law and Order president... was Biden!!!!!

*everyone throws things at me*

wrong, I will Lol

lol

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of JMS

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202?s=21

Click link for entire thread. Answers a few questions I had.

That's the sort of attitude I was hoping for. I too want to see what 2020s B5 looks like.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

He's still the DA as of a few seasons ago in SVU.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
La Brea is bad in a number of ways. A large number of ways.

One of the characters says 'We could be in an episode of Lost!'

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
With the way the Supreme Court has been ruling, they could bring back Ben Stone!

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Unkempt posted:

La Brea is bad in a number of ways. A large number of ways.

One of the characters says 'We could be in an episode of Lost!'

i watched this because i was curious enough to see whether the premise would be like a hollow earth situation or something else. ”portal into prehistoric caveman times” is a fine consolation prize if only for the sabertooth tiger showing up at the end, though i wish the CGI was better because, lol

maybe i’ll stick with it but i dunno, can’t say i see it getting more interesting in a good way :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Has everyone forgotten just how thoroughly JMS has proven that he loves to get high off his own farts?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Philthy posted:

Wu-Tang Wednesdays are back! We're up to episode 5 now for this loving awesome show. The crew just got formed and cut their first recording together, but need to get it mastered before it can be played in the clubs. Looks like the show is about to hit full stride into the group blowing up any moment now after a season and a half.

Dude I think you and I are the only ones watching, which sucks since the show is great. I feel like Bobby's actor is overdoing his voice for some reason this season but I haven't rewatched the first season to compare so maybe I'm just imagining things.

Anyway if any of you have any interest at all in '90s rap at all you should watch this show. 1st season is definitely a slow burn if you're hoping for Wu Tang from the get go but it's all just setup for the 2nd season. Very very interested to see how far they take this. Maybe the final episode of the series can be them selling the only copy of an album to Skreli.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve watched up to 204. It’s good poo poo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love '80s and '90s hip hop and the Wu-Tang Clan, but I binged the first season and plan to binge the second. The first season was terrific, but it was definitely a slow burn, and I can't imagine watching it week to week.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
New B5 and now New L&O Classic??? My cup runneth over!

Timby posted:

Has everyone forgotten just how thoroughly JMS has proven that he loves to get high off his own farts?

they smell good i guess :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I get high off em too. Sign me up.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Timby posted:

You could argue that he only has one good story in him but, dude, this is literally that one story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
To me JMS will always be “that guy who wrote a comic where Superman weighs whether or not to expose a bunch of illegal immigrants but decides not to only after they prove their worth to the community”.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To me JMS will always be “that guy who wrote a comic where Superman weighs whether or not to expose a bunch of illegal immigrants but decides not to only after they prove their worth to the community”.

Counterpoint: that's actually great writing because Superman is an rear end in a top hat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is that the same story where he decides to walk across America and is insufferably smug whole doing so

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Counterpoint: that's actually great writing because Superman is an rear end in a top hat.

Very bad take

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never read or seen anything written by JMS I liked except for Sense8 and even then I never finished it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Never read or seen anything written by JMS I liked except for Sense8 and even then I never finished it

I remember thinking Changeling was decent enough, but also like the complete opposite of something I would have expected JMS to have written.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
This is just a general rant, but why do so many serialized programs get canceled after just one or two seasons, before they can even wrap up the story? Especially for something like a sci-fi series, with elaborate sets, costumes, and effects--it doesn't make sense to bail after one season after putting in the resources to get it off the ground. It seems to me like the streaming platforms, even more than traditional networks, just want the appearance of a lot of individual programs to choose from, and they don't care about actually producing any one series for a sustained run. They'd rather produce three different series lasting 10 episodes each, instead of one good series running for three seasons. (But poo poo reality shows with no artistic or creative merit get renewed year after year after year, seemingly without end.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Number_6 posted:

(But poo poo reality shows with no artistic or creative merit get renewed year after year after year, seemingly without end.)

Because they're cheap as hell to produce and can usually bang out an entire season in a month or so of production. This is why Fox has endless poo poo like Masked Singer, Crime Scene Kitchen, Gordon Ramsay shows out the wazoo, etc.: They cost almost nothing to make and they're reliable ratings generators. They already have another season of Hell's Kitchen wrapped and in the can and have been sitting on it for almost a year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
At this point I wish they'd call them "series" the way other countries do, because "season" just seems wrong when shows like Survivor started in 2000, but is on "season" 41 now.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's four seasons in a year!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like “seasons” because then you know that series always refers to the show and season refers to the….well, seasons

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know it makes me a bad person but I laughed at the opening of Midnight Mass episode 4. Like oh no, the baby ran away!

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
We should call them years instead of seasons or series