Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The plan for Act 1 isn't much different on Defect. You need to add upfront offense, preferably in the form of attacks that either generate orbs or draw cards since those will stay relevant later in the run. Sunder is also a good card to take (and upgrade). Obviously you still need to highly regard focus and frost. And if you see Genetic Algorithm in Act 1 you should almost always take it.

On floor 0, relic swap is a valid option since your starter relic isnt worth much later in runs, although losing it makes you weaker in the short term so consider that in your pathing. I also like taking a rare card; there are only a few duds and a lot of upside in Defect's rare pool. I don't think upgrading a card (Zap) is a very good option since it's pretty low impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

teethgrinder posted:

The Android thread has had a lot of fun with Slice & Dice. It's on itch.io too.

It distracted me from Slay the Spire for a while and was very fun, just not 400+ hours fun.

OK this caused me to stay up later than I should've.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Wouldnt you want to path through shops at that point to maximize your chance of block and possibly get more than one?

Edit: Also share the seed that sounds fun

8RRMZ3FJT3H3

Ironclad NEOW swaped relic.

Slain on floor 23 by book of stabbing.

Bludgeon+ did a lot of work.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 29, 2021

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Murgos posted:

8RRMZ3FJT3H3

Hmm watcha playing on? Trying on pc and i get runic cube

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Dyz posted:

Im in the same boat. Most of my wins with Defect up to A19 have involved some combination of meteor strike(s) and either snecko or some sort of energy generation. Which isn't something you can rely on getting everytime.

Even if I get good focus and frost orbs I still struggle with defect in A2.

Most of mine come when i get a mummified hand or other power synergies and just take every power offered except for hello world. Once you get a storm and electrodynamics out, it just goes.

I did win with claws one time just to do it. Never actually tried the meteor thing, but it sounds fun.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I've completed Into the Breach and sunk hundreds of hours into FTL too, but they are great recs.

Into the Breach is actually a good call regardless and I'd be down to dive back in, but last time I tried to install it on my laptop it wouldn't run due to some awful graphical glitch. I'm gonna try again.

I'll also check out Slice and Dice though, thanks!

I've also had my eye on Gordian Quest but I've been waiting for it to exit early access before I jump in.

Re: ascension chat, I think it works really well in Spire because it accentuates other strategies and the value of plainer cards the higher you go. Like how you go from thinking Clash is awesome to thinking it sucks, and actually Rupture and Combust are awesome as you play more and adapt to the higher difficulties.

But I agree that most other games I've played that try to elongate in this style just end up revealing that the game beneath is not built for this kind of replayability.

The worst offender for me was Roguebook's Epilogues, which all fundamentally changed game rules in ways that mostly just made things more tedious and fiddly. Weird game. Also really disliked how grindy Griftlands post-game stuff felt.

edit: and re: high ascension defect, I actually feel like defect has the most win conditions of any character probably, because the extra damage from the starter relic helps you chunk through the first floor. Focus/orb decks are really reliable - defect has access to tons of good block options (Equilibrium, frost orbs, buffer, early genetic alg + calipers etc.). And unlike most characters who need to emphasize offense early, with Defect you can selectively pick good longterm defense cards early and rely on upgrading dual cast early to clear the 1st floor and find your game plan victory condition from the first boss or a big shop on the second floor.

Just be loose with it and don't be so afraid of early claws either! If you get two early, you can definitely run with it, though it can require some other pieces to accelerate it (like Hologram and All for One of course), but it's actually not such a bad offense strategy imo. Dark orb cycling is also a pretty solid way to win.

90s Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 29, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, 2x claw can be pretty decent even at high ascension. It helps that hologram is already a very good card.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cheeseboy58 posted:

Hmm watcha playing on? Trying on pc and i get runic cube

iPad. Didn't think it was different. Sorry.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Murgos posted:

8RRMZ3FJT3H3

Holy poo poo this is a fun seed, thank you! I see now why the shops didn't help you, they're all at the beginning and none of them offer blocks. But hey, having demon form, upgraded enflame ad spot weaknesses by the first treasure is still very nice, when you start with a pummel and a sword boomerang and then get offered a heavy sword right after. Combined with the Feed you start with and I'm just gonna pray to god I get a Reaper and then who loving needs block lol.

Also apparently Ipad and Android version are the same, lucky me.

Edit: My first chest relic was a question card, plus an event frozen egg, and I keep getting more pummels. I LOVE THIS SEED.
Edit 2: Ooh, second shop on a question mark, and they have a metallicize! Nice, some passive ongoing block.
Edit 3: Why yes, I would love to kill a Goblin Nob on turn three and be rewarded with a Bottled Flame so I can start every battle off with an upgraded Bludgeon if I so choose...
Edit 4: Next two card rewards are an Impervious and a Rage. I think those will work fine, that's enough defense for this deck right?
Edit 5: First boss funking dunked on.
Edit 6: I'm assuming this is the book of stabbing that killed you. I'm at only 35hp, so time to do or die! Lets loving go!
Edit 7: And I died, but boy what a loving run that was. I shouldn't have gone for the elite, I didn't have to, I just wanted to try my luck and I was punished for it but GOD drat so much fun.

Note: I'm running A20 right now, and this is still absurd. I'm absolutely gonna die in act 2 but I'm gonna love every second of getting there.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 29, 2021

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I have not tried the seed, but that seems like a lot of sources of strength to pick up. Demon form and spot weakness in the same deck and act 1 seems like a way to die with a lot of strength

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

90s Shoes posted:

I've also had my eye on Gordian Quest but I've been waiting for it to exit early access before I jump in.

Yeah, it's not ready yet. I like it but the balance is way off, and I've been saying this through the last three major updates (like 18 months, I think).

Actual StS question: does Rupture fire off Regret?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It does I'm pretty sure. It definitely does for other curses. I had a curse-based rupture deck once I absolutely loved. (pain, necronomicurse, and blue candle combined with reapers is absolutely beautiful)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 29, 2021

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yes, I went ahead and bought it (was sitting at a store), it definitely works! Probably not the best way to scale strength, but it's all I've got right now. Or it was at the time until the next fight which gave me an upgraded version. Gonna bleed myself dry

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Murgos posted:

iPad. Didn't think it was different. Sorry.

Tried on android. Pretty crazy run! Got to the Reptomancer but unfortunately no aoe to take care of swordies. Had 2 power throughs and a couple true grits to help with block. Just goes to show demon form is not the move at times lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OzFactor posted:

Actual StS question: does Rupture fire off Regret?

Yes, it does. Any card that deals self-damage either as an effect or a cost will proc Rupture. Blue Candle works by giving Curses an ability with a cost, so it works too. And while I've never tried it, I think using Blue Candle with Pain triggers two procs - one for the cost of exhausting it and one from the effect of playing a card with Pain in hand.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Shandalar is a really old MTG game that I had fun with for a while. It's abandonware at this point so free if you can put up with the jank.

Oh gently caress, you made me want to go play Shandalar again

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jetz0r posted:

Oh gently caress, you made me want to go play Shandalar again

ditto, with a side of "oh gently caress you reminded me that someone was working on a reverse engineered Shandalar adding thousands of new cards from later expansions including mechanics that did not exist at the time Shandalar was released and the entire project got dumpstered because some shithead was threatening to doxx the guy working on it over not updating fast enough"

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I looked into Shandalar and it looks cool, but being someone who has only cursorily played Commander with friends like ... 6? times in my life, it seemed not for me, sadly.

Feel like it sort of requires the intake knowledge of that MtG set, which I simply don't have. Plus it's old and fiddly and the playthrough I watched basically didn't explain anything.

So I'll admit I gave up kinda quickly but still. I'd be very game if some more modern iteration came out with the kinds of things we expect in modern games like card tooltips and such, though.

Seems like WotC is not interested in poo poo like that though, as far as I can tell.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tried that seed again and got to act 3 this time. It really is a fun seed and, spoiler alert, Act 2 boss let me pick between a reaper and a limit break, so its definitely winnable on A20 I feel

Just a fun fun seed. Anyone else have any seeds they really enjoyed recently?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Murgos posted:

8RRMZ3FJT3H3

I'm only on asc2 on mobile bc I mostly do dailies at work but holy poo poo this seed was so much fun thanks

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I just died on the second act 3 boss with all three keys on A20. I'm going to give it one more shot this afternoon

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I just died on the second act 3 boss with all three keys on A20. I'm going to give it one more shot this afternoon

I just did the same. Think that'll be my last go at it, but I'm looking forward to someone else getting a victory.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I just did the same. Think that'll be my last go at it, but I'm looking forward to someone else getting a victory.

GlyphGryph posted:

Just a fun fun seed. Anyone else have any seeds they really enjoyed recently?

Senerio posted:

I'm only on asc2 on mobile bc I mostly do dailies at work but holy poo poo this seed was so much fun thanks

I'm glad everyone is having a good time with it!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

What ascension is that seed for? I tried on A20 and it swaps into runic cube and honestly there's nothing that synergizes with it early on. It just doesn't seem noteworthy or exceptionally fun.

edit - Never mind. On my third run I found a path that gave me the pain curse followed by Rupture and Reaper. 1st boss was insanely easy. Will report back.

edit 2 - And I just beat it. Might try again for a heart kill.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 1, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

deedee megadoodoo posted:

What ascension is that seed for? I tried on A20 and it swaps into runic cube and honestly there's nothing that synergizes with it early on. It just doesn't seem noteworthy or exceptionally fun.
Sometimes people post seeds to see if anyone else can beat it/for the thread to play together.

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I believe seeds aren't the same across different platforms.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Seeds don't differ based on ascension, they do differ based on PC/mobile. That's a mobile seed.

Also I tried it again but went and picked up an early Brimstone this time as well because I didn't have enough strength scaling I decided. Took me all the way to the second boss of Act 3, which was cool!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I think some platforms get the same seeds but I couldn't tell you which at this point lol

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I did it on switch. I still haven't tried again but I think I have another one in me

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

the holy poopacy posted:

ditto, with a side of "oh gently caress you reminded me that someone was working on a reverse engineered Shandalar adding thousands of new cards from later expansions including mechanics that did not exist at the time Shandalar was released and the entire project got dumpstered because some shithead was threatening to doxx the guy working on it over not updating fast enough"

This makes me pretty sad, too.

90s Shoes posted:

I looked into Shandalar and it looks cool, but being someone who has only cursorily played Commander with friends like ... 6? times in my life, it seemed not for me, sadly.

Feel like it sort of requires the intake knowledge of that MtG set, which I simply don't have. Plus it's old and fiddly and the playthrough I watched basically didn't explain anything.

So I'll admit I gave up kinda quickly but still. I'd be very game if some more modern iteration came out with the kinds of things we expect in modern games like card tooltips and such, though.

Seems like WotC is not interested in poo poo like that though, as far as I can tell.

The MTG rules used in Shandalar are also noticeably different from current magic rules, so it doesn't work as expected for newer players. And it's certainly a bit janky. But the overall gameplay of using MTG duels as combat to collect cards as loot to improve your deck and take over a map is a lot of fun if you've got a deep enough understanding of MTG already.

GlyphGryph posted:

Seeds don't differ based on ascension, they do differ based on PC/mobile. That's a mobile seed.
Newbie seeds are also pretty worthless, because you have to have matching unlocks to get the same card choices and relics. Can't get an Akabeko from the first chest if you haven't unlocked Watcher yet, right?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've also heard that modified Spire has a different RNG so the same seed is different on an unmodified/console version.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Ok, after going on a long losing streak, the game has now just offered me a fourth Impervious. It must be feeling really bad for me.

Edit: oh ok actually a fifth

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 2, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Akabeko+bag of marbles+necronomicon+jarred immolate+ = free ticket to the act three boss.

Fight starts, throw out immolate, does 54 and then another 54 to all and onto next floor. EZ.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

That combination of relics, plus Pen Nib, plus strength scaling and energy generation shenanigans is how I got the achievement for killing a boss on turn 1. Donu & Deca got Whirlwinded to the land of wind and ghosts.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Of course the easy way to kill a boss turn one is dropkick

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 2, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I just had an A20 defect run that started with such good power based cards and relics that it was almost invulnerable in early act 1 and pretty much all of the damage I took was from events. Had a 6th floor Lagavulin where it lost 1 hp and for the second half of act 1 the most damage I took was 14 damage from Nob, then 0 from Sentries with 2 hp left, then took 0 damage all of act 2, act 3, and act 4 ( a tiny bit of damage from playing cards against the heart but it did no damage itself).

Seed: 4LWME5U3ACQJE, took rare relic at the beginning which was thread and needle.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 2, 2021

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I managed to get A1 done on Watcher finally, putting me at 1 on everyone. A1 felt great in the end because when you can confidently slam elites the extra relics own. A2 is making me realize I need to up my game on normal encounters though, taking too much drat damage!

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
One Step From Eden is fun, and I really enjoyed Dicey Dungeons. I'm still pretty new to StS, but it was playing those two and seeing them compared to it which made me want to play StS in the first place.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Which character is easiest to go infinite with? I want to get the 25 cards in a turn and kill a boss in one turn achievements. Ironclad has dropkicks + a source of vulnerable, silent has heel hooks + a source of weak, defect has fusion + coolheaded with a small number of orb slots. Each of these seems like you need a really small deck.

Defect seems like it might be easiest to put together because you don't need multiple uncommon cards and you can use claws, hologram and recursion. But ironclad has a lot of exhaust options to slim down a deck.

ploots fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Electoral Surgery posted:

Which character is easiest to go infinite with? I want to get the 25 cards in a turn and kill a boss in one turn achievements. Ironclad has dropkicks + a source of vulnerable, silent has heel hooks + a source of weak, defect has fusion + coolheaded with a small number of orb slots. Each of these seems like you need a really small deck.

Defect seems like it might be easiest to put together because you don't need multiple uncommon cards and you can use claws, hologram and recursion. But ironclad has a lot of exhaust options to slim down a deck.

Ironclad is definitely the easiest just because of the massive power to exhaust even a large deck down to nothing.