Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i filled out the best game ever bracket but i knew the winner from the start so i worked backwards. and also i couldn't be bothered to actually do it so i just put games i like on it. :)

not definitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

oddium posted:

so it's an isekai

That's 4, not 4A/4F.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

oddium posted:

i filled out the best game ever bracket but i knew the winner from the start so i worked backwards. and also i couldn't be bothered to actually do it so i just put games i like on it. :)

not definitive

trolling me

Weedle
May 31, 2006

more like shitman

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I filled out my own bracket too but it's just a gif of Raiden dual wielding swords with his feet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I also filled out a bracket for best Games poster and it turns out it's me. Wow I'm honoured

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh yeah put metal gear rising on there

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

By the end of Nocturne I was pretty bored with it, some of the later dungeons are pretty annoying and trial-and-error-y, and being unable to avoid random encounters meant that every dead-end became extra tedious

So it’s only gonna be like #5 on my GotY list this year

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

oddium posted:

not definitive

FTL was robbed

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

oddium posted:

not definitive

I respect this list far more than the other one

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think there was some drama when undertale won the prestigious gamefaqs best game ever contest

Remember that this is the same website where the L Block from Tetris won Best Videogame Character of All Time

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ok nerds let's see you do better

https://challonge.com/tournaments/bracket_generator?ref=qJiZhrwje0

e: if you want to re-randomize the seeds here's the list in plaintext, just go back to the bracket generator https://pastebin.com/TEkDhi93

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The bracket is cursed from the start, no good results can come from that list of games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Have I played 64 games in my life that I would put into an all-time bracket? Don't think I'd even get that far.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

The bracket is cursed from the start, no good results can come from that list of games

idk I think I can put Persona 5 Royal on top. that's pretty good

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wuggles posted:

ok nerds let's see you do better

https://challonge.com/tournaments/bracket_generator?ref=qJiZhrwje0

e: if you want to re-randomize the seeds here's the list in plaintext, just go back to the bracket generator https://pastebin.com/TEkDhi93

I don't want to do my own I want to laugh at the lovely one

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cheetah7071 posted:

burnout 3 is in there though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I don't want to do my own I want to laugh at the lovely one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I’ve already run the numbers and The Witcher 3 falls every single time in the first bracket to Super Monkey Ball 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
regarding JRPG franchises how many of them actually have like a consistent plot through the series where each game is a direct sequel rather than the SMT/FF/DQ route

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

regarding JRPG franchises how many of them actually have like a consistent plot through the series where each game is a direct sequel rather than the SMT/FF/DQ route

I think Trails is like that, though I haven't played it

Atelier does trilogies before moving to a new setting (and recently have been going back to old trilogies to add fourth games).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tbh not even a lot of WRPGs are like that, there's Baldurs Gate, Mass Effect, and uhhhhh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tbh not even a lot of WRPGs are like that, there's Baldurs Gate, Mass Effect, and uhhhhh

Elder Scrolls

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I defy anyone to correctly guess the chronological order of Divinity releases with no prior knowledge.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cheetah7071 posted:

Elder Scrolls

nah that's a consistent setting but not a direct sequel, i mean like specifically in the ME/BG sense where it's supposed to be directly after the last game with the same characters

Witcher sort of counts there

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
RPGs are about the journey to lowly scrub to worldbeating god, I think that's why you don't get many direct sequels. It's too hard to scale back from the end of the previous game

Saying that, aren't Xenosaga Eps 1-3 a direct story?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I think Trails is like that, though I haven't played it

Yep. 9 games running so far all with a continuous story and recurring characters. They do have mini-series that hop between countries but they still all tie together and reference events from earlier games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yakuza

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

That's like 85% not a JRPG

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rarity posted:

What would you call it then? Genuinely curious.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zil posted:

What would you call it then? Genuinely curious.

I mean until Yakuza 7 they were action based games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But you PLAY the ROLE of a Yakuza guy in every game !!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

But you PLAY the ROLE of a Yakuza guy in every game !!

:blastu:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rarity posted:

they count as ARPGs imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're called ARPGs because they make me go ARPG!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regy Rusty posted:

I mean until Yakuza 7 they were action based games

RPGs can be action games too since at least 1984

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

RPGs can be action games too since at least 1984

Yeah yeah

Still I don't consider Yakuza to be that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm not sure what'd you call Yakuza if not an ARPG. it's not even like, borderline, it has a skill/leveling system, quest system, and inventory system.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bracket Talk: Shining Force 2 is a 3 seed and Tetris is the winner. Also 2 out of 3 SNES Final Fantasies are mandatory to win the Quarter Finals, but I won't tell you which ones are correct.

JRPG Talk: Aren't the SMT games technically all related since every game starts from the assumption that one of the endings of the previous game occurred, or is that only 4 and 4A?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yakuza is like 75% speeches about friendship and determination plus 15% titty hijinx, if that's not a JRPG then what is