Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CPL593H posted:

I don't really think Dave Chapelle even took it that seriously. He was obviously not on R. Kelly's side but the whole thing was just "lol, he pee peed on girl." rather than going hard on him for being a monster.

Considering Chapelle made a follow up sketch about how he'd never vote to convict and it wasn't that serious and put Rick James back in the public eye after the rape/kidnapping/torture charges, he doesn't seem to take anything done to women that seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Considering Chapelle made a follow up sketch about how he'd never vote to convict and it wasn't that serious and put Rick James back in the public eye after the rape/kidnapping/torture charges, he doesn't seem to take anything done to women that seriously.

Chapelle was also one of the big voices pushing the “how recognizable is one guy’s penis from another, anyway? I don’t think I could even pick my own out from a lineup” response to one of the prosecution’s key pieces of evidence in the Michael Jackson trial, which was an accurate drawing of the vitiligo markings on said penis by one of the accusers.

Like, just on its face, without the element of the unique skin condition that Jackson had, that’s a such loving ludicrous thing to say, and speaks to some real “no homo” posturing

Like some I’m so straight I can’t even recognize my own dick bullshit, wtf are you talking about

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Alhazred posted:

The Boondocks also had an entire episode dedicated to the court case.

Man that episode is a trip 15 years later. Iirc didn't one of the defense lawyer's key points boil down to "sure he probably did but it's R. Kelly, if we send him to jail he won't be able to make amazing music anymore"?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The late 90s/early 00s just comes off as insanely misogynistic in retrospect and especially so when race was involved, but not necessarily. Look at the treatment of... pretty much every female celebrity of the time.

Also, ignoring that Princess Diana was basically murdered.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I don't really think Dave Chapelle even took it that seriously. He was obviously not on R. Kelly's side but the whole thing was just "lol, he pee peed on girl." rather than going hard on him for being a monster.

Underrated part of that bit: Dave was doing stand-up between sketches as he did for that show, and he was talking about how he ran into Kelly after the first bit he did on him was aired.

According to Dave, the conversation went thus:

R.Kelly: How you gonna make a video 'bout me pissing on people?

Dave: How are you gonna make a video about you pissing on people?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Aces High posted:

Man that episode is a trip 15 years later. Iirc didn't one of the defense lawyer's key points boil down to "sure he probably did but it's R. Kelly, if we send him to jail he won't be able to make amazing music anymore"?

You want to see some Boondocks that aged poorly (I could not find these in better resolution)?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CPL593H posted:

You want to see some Boondocks that aged poorly (I could not find these in better resolution)?

isn't that pretty critical of Cosby? When he was going on his pound cake rants he wasn't really getting anything across beyond "pull up your pants and act right" as if that was the only source of black inequality in America. The joke is even "uh, don't take what he says seriously, but philosophically there's something kind of there?"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I tried watching Chappelle's show a few years back and holy poo poo the misogyny. There's a few points of pretty dedicated misogyny, but its more that women in the sketches are never anything but props for gags about their tits or asses. You could basically teach the concept of 'objectification' without much more than his show. The only women in his sketches are hos, or girls who he thought were nice but were actually hos and thus worthless.

I don't even think you can call it a blindspot, it ends up coming across as a pretty sincere belief.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That just reads as the kid trying to tell his Cosby loving grandpa that Cosby is full of poo poo without offending him

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm reminded of when Cosby criticized the Cincinnati Police Riots. Opinions on that had a heavy generational divide in the city.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In retrospect, had Bill Cosby not finally gotten caught on all some of his rapes, he's be a featured guest on Fox News on the regular to talk about how all these angry black kids only have themselves to blame and all these protests and riots are just troublemakers who should be in school or working a hard minimum wage job like the "right" people did.

Just looking back on it, how the gently caress was a girl getting shot in the back of the head for stealing $2 worth of food ever made into a thing about how it's black people's fault for not raising their kids right? Like, the idea of legalized murder in defense of an insignificant amount of property should've been way more important then "well, does she have two parents?"

Man, glad this gave me another chance to look back at Cosby's whole life and work and realize the rot was there from the start and that affable America's Dad thing was literally just a character he put on, and when the camera's stopped he took off that mask and returned to being a monster.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pentyne posted:

isn't that pretty critical of Cosby? When he was going on his pound cake rants he wasn't really getting anything across beyond "pull up your pants and act right" as if that was the only source of black inequality in America. The joke is even "uh, don't take what he says seriously, but philosophically there's something kind of there?"

Well yeah, I just posted it because repeating "I respect Bill Cosby" multiple times is one of those things that aged very, very, very poorly.

Snowman_McK posted:

I tried watching Chappelle's show a few years back and holy poo poo the misogyny. There's a few points of pretty dedicated misogyny, but its more that women in the sketches are never anything but props for gags about their tits or asses. You could basically teach the concept of 'objectification' without much more than his show. The only women in his sketches are hos, or girls who he thought were nice but were actually hos and thus worthless.

I don't even think you can call it a blindspot, it ends up coming across as a pretty sincere belief.

Comedy is one of those things that ages poorly but Chapelle and other comics of his age/generation thrived on edgelord bullshit, slurs, and stereotypes. That's not to say he was never funny. His standup and Chapelle's Show were often funny but he's one of the comics in his age group that's dug his heels in the sand on getting with the times and whines about cancel culture and these drat kids with their pronouns and being offended all the time killing comedy. It's just the mark of someone with not much left to say who refuses to acknowledge that a lot of what he did have to say was pretty hosed up. I can't even imagine how insufferable Bill Hicks would be by now if he'd lived.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I’m surprised denis Leary hasn’t gotten on that train

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Well yeah, I just posted it because repeating "I respect Bill Cosby" multiple times is one of those things that aged very, very, very poorly.

Comedy is one of those things that ages poorly but Chapelle and other comics of his age/generation thrived on edgelord bullshit, slurs, and stereotypes. That's not to say he was never funny. His standup and Chapelle's Show were often funny but he's one of the comics in his age group that's dug his heels in the sand on getting with the times and whines about cancel culture and these drat kids with their pronouns and being offended all the time killing comedy. It's just the mark of someone with not much left to say who refuses to acknowledge that a lot of what he did have to say was pretty hosed up. I can't even imagine how insufferable Bill Hicks would be by now if he'd lived.

I think he was pretty loving sexist at the time, the difference I was 18 at the time and, thus, a moron.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m surprised denis Leary hasn’t gotten on that train

He's got Rescue Me residuals, so he doesn't have to care.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/F8yV8xUorQ8

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Leary's always been a right wing piece of poo poo, but yeah I guess he's ok with just being on network sitcoms

e: it's pretty sad how relevant that Carlin interview still is

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I didn’t know Leary was right wing. I thought the worst he got was that cornball/cringetacular “I’m an rear end in a top hat” song from the 90s

But Carlin was too good for this loving country

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The late 90s and entirety of the 00s has an undercurrent of frothing misogyny that is kinda all the worse for the assumption that Sexism Is Over.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Let's bring this fulllllll circleeeeeee!!!!!

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1442957307172638720

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

pentyne posted:

Man, glad this gave me another chance to look back at Cosby's whole life and work and realize the rot was there from the start and that affable America's Dad thing was literally just a character he put on, and when the camera's stopped he took off that mask and returned to being a monster.

I mean one of his early comedy albums had a whole bit about drugging women at a party with Spanish fly. It was always there but society as a whole is very very misogynistic so no one cared. And he was known for doing "clean comedy" so yeah...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RevKrule posted:

The victory lap he is taking after his win on a technicality is so utterly infuriating

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This illustrates my feelings on Cosby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZlQaE4GDUY
Of course that special also had some bonkers offensive stuff on homosexuality so…

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The late 90s and entirety of the 00s has an undercurrent of frothing misogyny that is kinda all the worse for the assumption that Sexism Is Over.
Every year before the 90's had an undercurrent (overcurrent) of frothing misogyny.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vincent posted:

Every year before the 90's had an undercurrent (overcurrent) of frothing misogyny.

This. The 90s and 2000s are just notable because 1) most of us lived through them 2) there was a collective backlash in entertainment/media culture to the unholy alliance between the Tipper Gore Dems and Nancy Reagan GOP, specifically in the media that appealed to people like us and youth/mainly males

The worst decision a powerful, visible subset of mainstream second-wavers did in the 80s and early 90s was to hitch feminism and anti-misogyny to “family values” and social neoconservatism, but I guess that’s one of the many evils of the Third Way Dems

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RevKrule posted:

"Those are rookie numbers, son."

Coffee And Pie posted:

This illustrates my feelings on Cosby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZlQaE4GDUY
Of course that special also had some bonkers offensive stuff on homosexuality so…

One of the bits from that album is simply titled "Faggots". And for some reason there was a special Record Store Day limited edition reissue of this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

"Those are rookie numbers, son."

One of the bits from that album is simply titled "Faggots". And for some reason there was a special Record Store Day limited edition reissue of this.

of just that bit?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I'm not surprised there's a limited edition reproduction of Eddie Murphy's Raw. Opinions on the content aside it's one of the most famous stand-up concerts in existence.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Can't miss

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1443320176355676160?s=19

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

of just that bit?

No, it's the whole album. But one would think that the people who decide these things would see that and think "Maybe we don't need to put out more of these.".

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Jamie Spears, Britney Spears's father ousted from conservatorship.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

This. The 90s and 2000s are just notable because 1) most of us lived through them 2) there was a collective backlash in entertainment/media culture to the unholy alliance between the Tipper Gore Dems and Nancy Reagan GOP, specifically in the media that appealed to people like us and youth/mainly males

The worst decision a powerful, visible subset of mainstream second-wavers did in the 80s and early 90s was to hitch feminism and anti-misogyny to “family values” and social neoconservatism, but I guess that’s one of the many evils of the Third Way Dems

For a moment that was apparently a natural alliance, and you still see it in British TERFs. A big part of the whole progressive realignment has basically been just climbing out of the hole made by feminism being monopolised by well-off white women and increasingly turned exclusively against their personal bugbears.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

:smug:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tarantino posted:

Like, before me, the person foot fetishism was defined by was Luis Buñuel, another film director. And Hitchcock was accused of it, and Sofia Coppola has been accused of it.

I don't know about Buñuel and Coppola, but referring to Hitchcock was not the best defense here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

always associated Buñuel with eyes but that's just me

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's less obvious but PTA too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

always associated Buñuel with eyes but that's just me

Feet can be just as expressive, they are 'the gateway to the sole'.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this thread just can’t stop trippin’ over feet

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1443294419596320779

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I’m shocked that a judge in Arkansas didn’t roll over for the Duggars. Their relevance and clout must be waning in the Trump era