Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

hot take: when the walls and guards on your border are mainly to keep your own people in, you might be an oppressive country

no no no you see it’s actually a fun place to live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

“labor camps aren’t that bad. probably just propaganda “

america's labor camps are terrible, yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

google angola

also, everybody shut up with the dprk vs usa slap fight *points to title*

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
someone start a war with china to get my mind off all this depressing poo poo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

google angola

After a protracted anti-colonial struggle, Angola achieved independence in 1975 as a Marxist–Leninist one-party Republic.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The_Franz posted:

hot take: when the walls and guards on your border are mainly to keep your own people in, you might be an oppressive country

I agree, but you think that the North Korean people can't leave the country? Bare in mind this is the same thing we hear about states like Cuba.

akadajet posted:

No one has said this.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

After a protracted anti-colonial struggle, Angola achieved independence in 1975 as a Marxist–Leninist one-party Republic.

that's too inspiring, they mean the state-run cotton plantation in arkansas

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'd give him a nice big smooch on the mouth.

i wanna pinch his fat cheeks and tell him he's a good little marxist

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I thought this was a pretty cool article
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/30/1040536017/afghanistan-withdrawal-russia-soviet-afghan-war-veterans
Russian veterans of their Afghan war are interviewed about how they see the American withdraw.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

angola prison is in Louisiana

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, I hosed that one up :negative:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

shoeberto posted:

I thought this was a pretty cool article
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/30/1040536017/afghanistan-withdrawal-russia-soviet-afghan-war-veterans
Russian veterans of their Afghan war are interviewed about how they see the American withdraw.
"blyat"

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

angola prison is in Louisiana

a prison where conditions are among the most oppressive in the world

https://www.aclu.org/blog/prisoners-rights/cruel-inhuman-and-degrading-conditions/louisianas-infamous-angola-prison-goes

not sure where the aclu case is now

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I agree, but you think that the North Korean people can't leave the country? Bare in mind this is the same thing we hear about states like Cuba.

obviously some people come and go from the country, but unless you are someone important traveling on official business or being sent to work as a logger over the russian border, your average north korean has a 0% chance of leaving the country without sneaking over the border and being branded a traitor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde
the border of the country they've been at war with for three generations? you know south korea doesn't let their people cross the other way too, right?

up until covid they had an regularass border with china (that they may have already reopened? idk) with migrant workers and restaurants in china and everything

i mean i certainly wouldn't want to live there or anything, but the korean war is still ongoing, we only have an armistice. lol the state department got so mad at trump for trying to broker a peace agreement

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only way the korean war will be allowed to end is the south taking it over and having it as a client state

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the border of the country they've been at war with for three generations? you know south korea doesn't let their people cross the other way too, right?

up until covid they had an regularass border with china (that they may have already reopened? idk) with migrant workers and restaurants in china and everything

i mean i certainly wouldn't want to live there or anything, but the korean war is still ongoing, we only have an armistice. lol the state department got so mad at trump for trying to broker a peace agreement

you, as the citizen of a country with few restrictions* on the free movement of it's citizens, can just decide to go to leave the country of your own accord without giving a reason for doing so. random north korean person can't just decide to go to china unless the government gives them permission, and that's only going to happen if there is an official reason for them doing so. the migrant workers in restaurants and logging operations outside of the country are there at the behest of the regime and most of their salary goes directly back to the north korean government

*restrictions in the sense that you have to, say, travel to cuba via canada instead of directly from the us

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

everyone except me is a liberal

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

three of them! drat.

those goddamn trade sanctions forcing them to build concentration camps and poo poo

i got a tankie avatar for doing what i will here demonstrate

the us doesn't have a justification for its massive incarceration and human rights abuse and if that's whataboutism it still doesn't give us the moral high ground

it's not a defense of mean old norks and they're laughable cold war style missile flexing propaganda

i'll leave that to the pros in c-spam

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

all canadians must stand with DPRK in northern solidarity

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

everyone to the left of me is a tankie and everyone to the right of me is a fascist

sorta like how everyone that drives slower than me is a wuss and everyone that drives faster than me is an rear end in a top hat

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

everyone to the left of me is a tankie and everyone to the right of me is a fascist

sorta like how everyone that drives slower than me is a wuss and everyone that drives faster than me is an rear end in a top hat

everyone who rides a goddamn bike in front of my truck needs to get off of the road

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

akadajet posted:

everyone who rides a goddamn bike in front of my truck needs to get off of the road

One weird trick etc.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the one weird trick Shaggar does want you to know!!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

Why don't you get off the road? You're driving a truck, aren't you?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"rolls down window"
"sir... sir in the spandex. mind scooching over a little so I can pass?"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

when I'm walking on the sidewalk I'm annoyed at bikes on the sidewalk, when I'm in a car I'm annoyed at bikes on the street. there's no winning

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s called “driving truck”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

when I'm walking on the sidewalk I'm annoyed at bikes on the sidewalk, when I'm in a car I'm annoyed at bikes on the street. there's no winning

just ride a bike then you can hate all cars and all pedestrians instead

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

just ride a bike then you can hate all cars and all pedestrians instead

sounds like a good idea. then I don't have to follow stupid traffic laws like stopping at red lights

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cyclists should be able to treat all red lights and stop signs as yield signs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is legal with stop signs in Idaho, hence it's called the "Idaho stop"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i don't have to yield on a bike. critical mass, bitch!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

in boston they do

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

Why don't you get off the road? You're driving a truck, aren't you?

haha

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1443773405988331522

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

right wing types think Justin Trudeau is Fidel Castro's son and therefore he's a secret communist