Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the breakdown, I’m intrigued by it so plan to give it a shot at some point while not watching every week.

And yes, Ten Year Old Tom is great so far which makes me so happy after a crappy day. It really is Tim but with new characters, and I’d be mad if it was anything else. (There better be a new Keith).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah John's new show is every other week. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though parts were hard to watch.

I wonder if Oliver is now like, gently caress now we can't talk about the VA.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can only watch so much of John Oliver's show because I get in a weird spiral of anger and disappointment. Like, it's generally good reporting on some serious thing and the jokes with it are good and don't generally make light of anyone's important problems, just feels harder to laugh at the state of the world and a lot of heightened parody of things have a way of just becoming the reality. Trying to watch old SNL and Daily Show is a weird trip because sometimes their nightmare joke of how things could be comedically worse would be a viable improvement from how poo poo turned out decades later. I don't think that old style could be pulled off today, and the newer more thoughtful and investigative approach feels more appropriate, even if I personally sometimes have trouble needing to call a lovely representative to leave an angry futile message.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been watching Banshee for the first time and started season 3 and I cant believe they went full incest

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
A decade or so ago, when I was in medical school, I had to do a case report on a patient for my Internal Medicine rotation. I had been working at the VA and picked a nice fellow who sadly passed. He had three primary carcinomas, verified by multiple pathologists. When I presented it I got cut off, laughed out of the room and was basically told I was an idiot. Now, this wasn't even my evaluation, this was the evaluation of several other doctors, 3rd year med students don't make those kinds of diagnoses. Anyway, samsh cut to like 4 years ago and the cover of the Journal of the American Medical Association (which is up there next to the New England Journal of Medicine in terms of prestige and popularity) has the question "Why are soany veterans being diagnosed with multiple (3+) primary carcinomas. Its a systemic thing, a lot of doctors simply cant or won't entertain that new materials and exposures will lead to new diseases. The VA is entrenched in it even more because it means liability in a way for the armed services. The VA has a lot of problems, but most of them are an exacerbation of already existing problems in medicine, in both the US and abroad.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DaveKap posted:

If you can find some cast interviews on YouTube, you'll hear every once in a while that they'd work 18 hour days. Unions kinda make TNG an impossibility nowadays.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

And IATSE was founded in the 19th century. Check out @ia_stories on IG if you want to know why I laughed so hard. An 18 hour day is very unusual for an actor though, unless you have 3 hours of prosthetic MU pre call and an hour and a half of removal after wrap

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 1, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oliver’s show is a hundred times better than anything Stewart ever did and him coming back now seems like Leno-style sour grapes.
:colbert:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'll never forgive Stewart and Colbert for the Rally To Restore Sanity. Hope the new show goes well for him but I'm gonna pass.

A whole lot of stuff on TDS didn't age well at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the first episode of Steve Dildarian's new show "10 Year Old Tom" and it is completely hilarious.

"Soft Pretzels (Drugs)"

Also John Malkovich is in it for some reason.

Really liked the first episode and will definitely watch the rest. Also I’ve never seen Life & Times of Tim so I should really get on that!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I made an IATSE thread

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Really liked the first episode and will definitely watch the rest. Also I’ve never seen Life & Times of Tim so I should really get on that!

The Life and Times of Tim is incredible, I haven't watched it in years but this is a good excuse to go back. From the looks of the Tom trailer it's the same tone and style so it's definitely worth your time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I guarantee you this thread is worth reading through.

https://twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1443729354324779008?s=19

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I just finished watching Midnight Mass, but I can't help but feeling that in an alternate timeline it was made as a comedy show entirely about A vampire preacher who doesn't want any of its congregation to know that they're a vampire.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 1, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DrVenkman posted:

Marine veteran here (no combat, I served in 90's). Part of me wants to get pissed at her for doing this, but that whole situation is so absurd that I was laughing by the end of the thread. Also I have seen YouTube videos of other veterans confronting stolen valor people at places like a mall (some idiot wearing a uniform with medals and ribbons which they didn't earn). In most of the videos I ended up feeling slightly sorry for the person, because they need some mental help big time. I do wonder what the Venn diagram is between Trump supporters and stolen valor pretenders. That was well worth the read. People are insane.

Or am I really a Marine veteran? Maybe I just learn how to be a Marine by watching Generation Kill.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 1, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Seinfeld on Netflix day, goons :)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nate fisher posted:

I do wonder what the Venn diagram is between Trump supporters and stolen valor pretenders.

I don't know about all Trump supporters, but a core aspect of QAnon is that an actual lieutenant general explicitly deputized all of them to become "digital soldiers" doing "digital warfare" on behalf of Trump, which is pretty stolen-valory.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Happy Seinfeld on Netflix day, goons :)

I posted in the Seinfeld thread but it's in 4k and Dolby Vision and I feel like this watching it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo. Do I sit and watch Seinfeld all day or go and see many saints of Newark.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really liked Many Saints, so I gotta recommend that. Just stay up all night watching Seinfeld afterwards

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What aspect ratio is Seinfeld in on NF?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
EDIT: ^^^^^ the call is coming from inside the thread

Aspect ratio pedants on Twitter are complaining about Seinfeld being in 16:9 on Netflix instead of the original 4:3.

Generally, I'm as big an aspect ratio pedant as they come. I thought the Simpsons 16:9 issue was a tragedy until they fixed it. But for some reason I don't care as much about it with Seinfeld, even though they are probably my #1 and #2 all time tv comedies.

However, this is pretty bad:

https://twitter.com/thatoneguy64/status/1443961536079450117?s=21

Granted it's still the same from the last time we got a 16:9 Seinfeld release (on Hulu probably?). But I guess people were hoping it would be OAR on Netflix.

Color grade seems super weird to me too, most likely a side effect of the Dolby Vision trim pass that was done:

https://twitter.com/seincast/status/1443882301381820420?s=21

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 1, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oof some of those are really bad

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blah, yeah that's a shame. I don't mind so much for a show like Friends where they can put out a 16:9 print even with some issues to the left/right of the frame, but cropping to 16:9 is just a no for me. It's a real shame that it's had a few HD releases now and not one has been in the right AR.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’m not really hung up on aspect ratio for Seinfeld. It makes it feel a little claustrophobic, but it’s not like an action or sci-fi drama that’s all about a director’s precise framing.

I think I’d prefer it looking high-resolution and cropped than blurry SD and 4:3.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Shig like Buffy and Malcom in the Middle pretty definitively showed to leave the loving AR alone, lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t care at all about the aspect ratio, last time I watched it was in 16:9 anyway, but the colour on some of these scenes, yuck!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

1.33:1 is the format god intended.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrVenkman posted:

what was the original tweet he was responding to?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

what was the original tweet he was responding to?

It was just referencing the same story without elaborating. Not sure why it got deleted

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's the deal with the new CSI Vegas starting next week? This a reboot? Petersen is supposedly back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Regy Rusty posted:

It was just referencing the same story without elaborating. Not sure why it got deleted

Think she had people IRL texting her asking for the name and it was annoying her.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reboot Homicide Life on the Street

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mu Zeta posted:

Reboot Homicide Life on the Street

Now I want to see Dot Matrix and Frank Pembleton take down a murderer together.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon also made a fancy Sandman audiobook with a bunch of movie stars last year.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Sandman/dp/B086WQ7J62

Thanks for this! I just finished part 1 and it was great. Really liked it. Going to start part 2 in a bit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the deal with the new CSI Vegas starting next week? This a reboot? Petersen is supposedly back.

I think it's a continuation, based on the trailer it looks like there's some sort of scandal involving the crime lab and Grissom and Sara have to come back to clear their reputations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Conners season 4 started and the first episode was shown live which is kinda cool but also weird. So you get to see people running between sets.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 1, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s not the first live episode they’ve done

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I’ve watched all of them and I guess I haven’t noticed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first was the one that aired during the Democratic primary, during season 2 I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just remembered the 30 Rock live episodes. shame about the blackface