Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah breen explicitly calls this out in hl2 when he's scolding the overwatch for not being able to stop gordon.

How could one man have slipped through your force's fingers time and time again? How is it possible? This is not some agent provocateur or highly trained assassin we are discussing. Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist who had hardly earned the distinction of his Ph.D. at the time of the Black Mesa Incident.

and in one of the follow up episodes barney teases gordon about that phd really coming in handy for pushing a cart into a beam

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
me @ friday PM quittin' time:
https://twitter.com/mastronomers/status/1443359019238895619?s=21

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not quite what I expected from a live action Battle Toads but okay.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

kenny froggins’

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It's Friday my duuuudes

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

President Beep posted:

kenny froggins’

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the celebrated warping frog of calaveras quadrant

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Funny because over here until about five or ten years ago, pedestrians had right of way explicitly laid out in the highway code

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/humorandanimals/status/1442593882777260033

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

kenny froggins’

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

haveblue posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/madradhu/status/1443949033391755269?s=21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had that realization playing half life. when it came out I was a babby teenager and a 31 year old Gordon Freeman (as it announces on the tram ride) seemed like an adult with an adult job to me

last time I played through and was like what is he the intern there?

given his super important job of “pushing a cart” I suspect he might be

I always assumed he was a postdoc. So yeah, the lowest rung among the full time science staff.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

as a kid it seemed so dumb and unrealistic that they'd have a phd doing cart-pushing

then i went through the whole process and no, yeah, that absolutely tracks

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

as a kid it seemed so dumb and unrealistic that they'd have a phd doing cart-pushing

then i went through the whole process and no, yeah, that absolutely tracks

they’re waiting for you, gordon. in the undergraduate lecture hall.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Didn't the guards call him Mr Freeman too? As a newly minted phd he'd be sputtering and correcting them if he could talk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

idk. i’ve never played halflife :smug:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Armitag3 posted:

he'd be sputtering and correcting them if he could talk

nah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Armitag3 posted:

Didn't the guards call him Mr Freeman too? As a newly minted phd he'd be sputtering and correcting them if he could talk

I think only the g-man calls him mister, others call him doctor

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

more like gordumb peeman

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

President Beep posted:

more like gordumb peeman

what a MIThead

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/andymoney69/status/1443713378791403525?s=21

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

I always assumed he was a postdoc. So yeah, the lowest rung among the full time science staff.

i remember one of the postdocs at work was very excited they had interviewed and got a new job a couple states over as a t1 desker

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

graph posted:

i remember one of the postdocs at work was very excited they had interviewed and got a new job a couple states over as a t1 desker

:stare:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

yeah. better money too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

very glad my job doesn’t require an advanced degree

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

god

drat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its NOS

quote:

guy was the original buyer back in the day, and apparently put it in a storage unit and left it unplayed for a couple of decades until he just decided to sell it recently.

that lever on the headstock is a hipshot style lever to switch the low between E and D

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had that realization playing half life. when it came out I was a babby teenager and a 31 year old Gordon Freeman (as it announces on the tram ride) seemed like an adult with an adult job to me

last time I played through and was like what is he the intern there?

given his super important job of “pushing a cart” I suspect he might be
many years ago, when i was still an undergrad myself, i joked on another forum that gordon isn't really a big-brain scientist, but just a mute, murderous idiot employed to push a stupid loving cart whose only solution to any problem is to either shoot it or beat it into a pulp with his crowbar

some other poster got really cross at that and angrily argued that gordon is in fact a silent protagonist and not at all a dumb psycho

still gives me a decent lol remembering that

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

they’re waiting for you, gordon. in the undergraduate lecture hall.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I was a postdoc. never been so depressed and miserable :(

the whole system for a career scientists is terrible. you either have to be a loner without friends or children, ready to move every few years for most of your early 30s, or have a spouse willing to move with you and do all of the child care.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

its NOS

that lever on the headstock is a hipshot style lever to switch the low between E and D

:gowron:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Jonny 290 posted:

its NOS

ok, i wasn't sold on it at first, but this lil tidbit makes me want it now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

President Beep posted:

very glad my job doesn’t require an advanced degree

all those years in clown school wasted Beep!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it’s about the prestige anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ah a fellow Dartmouth man very good