Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Best Buy login server is down or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Sab669 posted:

It's really easy to just be like, "oh well, we're outnumbered but we tried". It's a lot less cool to be like "man we're getting creamed and I've got this loving idiot doing literally nothing. Not even worth spawning on him because he's so far away from anything".

If you wanna just stare down your scope all day long go play Sniper Elite and stop wasting spots for people who would actually try to contribute.

It's a team game, if you're not even going to pretend to try then go do something else.

Yeah, you telling people they can't play their way, despite the game catering to their style, just so your win/loss ratio can be higher is pretty cringe. On top of this, you saying snipers have no contribution to the team play aspect of the game shows your shallow knowledge of the combined arms aspect of Battlefield.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Sab669 posted:

It's really easy to just be like, "oh well, we're outnumbered but we tried". It's a lot less cool to be like "man we're getting creamed and I've got this loving idiot doing literally nothing. Not even worth spawning on him because he's so far away from anything".

If you wanna just stare down your scope all day long go play Sniper Elite and stop wasting spots for people who would actually try to contribute.

It's a team game, if you're not even going to pretend to try then go do something else.

The combination of people gleefully talking about trolling teammates with vehicles and people mad at snipers for not contributing "enough" is really interesting in this thread. I hope everyone gets to play how they like!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

Yeah, you telling people they can't play their way, despite the game catering to their style, just so your win/loss ratio can be higher is pretty cringe. On top of this, you saying snipers have no contribution to the team play aspect of the game shows your shallow knowledge of the combined arms aspect of Battlefield.

Useless sniper spotted

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
poo poo heads playing a team based objective Gamemode as lone wolf death match losers deserve what they get.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

DrBox posted:

The combination of people gleefully talking about trolling teammates with vehicles and people mad at snipers for not contributing "enough" is really interesting in this thread. I hope everyone gets to play how they like!

Is a lovely pubbie sniper with a sub-1kd really that much worse of a team player than a goon trying to get kills with a spotting scope (<3 U JEREMY)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
BF is barely team based, so if people want to be worthless and prone all match, I don't really care, I find that I never really notice since it's battlefield and not some super deep team game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Charles 1998 posted:

I'm bad at Battlefield and I have a fraction of the hours logged a lot of people ITT have --- I really don't care if I win or lose. I just want people to try. I don't have patience for people who do nothing but staring down their barrel for 50 minutes straight. I didn't say snipers contribute nothing, I said Snipers who AFK for the entire match doing nothing but spotting and occasionally landing shots from 2000m away contribute nothing.

RCarr posted:

Useless sniper spotted

Skyarb posted:

poo poo heads playing a team based objective Gamemode as lone wolf death match losers deserve what they get.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

RCarr posted:

Useless sniper spotted

Nah, I barely used sniper rifles. I just understand how roles work in the overall setting.

Sab669 posted:

I'm bad at Battlefield and I have a fraction of the hours logged a lot of people ITT have --- I really don't care if I win or lose. I just want people to try. I don't have patience for people who do nothing but staring down their barrel for 50 minutes straight. I didn't say snipers contribute nothing, I said Snipers who AFK for the entire match doing nothing but spotting and occasionally landing shots from 2000m away contribute nothing.

Snipers are trying, and they're contributing. You just don't understand how they contribute, so you're think they're useless. It's no different than thinking medics are useless because people auto heal and respawn. Or support is useless because everyone spawns with full ammo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well then please explain what invaluable service these map-edge AFKers are providing that a Recon player who takes a more active role on the actual map aren't providing, since you clearly know so much.

Your comparisons to Medic Bags and Ammo Boxes is stupid, dude. It's obvious why being able to heal almost immediately in the thick of things is valuable. It's obvious why being able to ressurect a dead person on an objective is valuable. It's obvious why being able to refill your ammo is valuable.

Sitting there spotting enemies and occasionally even shooting someone over a 30 minute game isn't valuable in a meaningful way as to justify the absolute lack of action you've taken for the other 29 minutes of the game.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 1, 2021

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Charles 1998 posted:

lol

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I like to take explosives, put them on a vehicle, then run that vehicle into other, stronger vehicles. I think it's fun.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Enemy submarine spotted

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Battlefield, like its players, is a land of contrasts.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I had a 70% win rate in BF1. The goon horde was actually pretty useful in capturing points when we decided which ones were priority as well as making sure we got the vehicles into competent hands. We also had some schemes for liquefying the juggernauts in minutes.

We also saw that most snipers could be completely nullified in terms of contribution by a single medic with a smoke grenade, regardless of said snipers actual ability.

Plus combat sniper was the best when they put a flare in the bunker entrance so anyone coming out was automatically 80 health left or under

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

it sucks when youre team is getting creamed and is pushed back to their spawn so you check the scoreboard and, what do you know, 14 out of the 32 player spots on the team are snipers with k/ds like 1-12. This happens to me relatively often

this is not getting mad at ppl playing a game differently than me, its that the way they play is completely worthless to everyone else in the server except themselves. The 1-12 snipers do not use gadgets, they dont push objectives, and they dont contribute anything to the team. Id much much rather those spots be taken by medics or supports with the exact same k/ds, but they at least use their gadgets and try to stay near objectives

most ppl ITT arent mad at the recon class in general. A good recon player will stay near pushes and use flares/wookie balls to spot objectives. They can also countersnipe and do other generally useful things if they stay near their squad, making themselves incredibly useful to the team. The problem is that the vast majority of recon players refuse to play like this and would much rather stay at the edge of the map takin a shot every 45 seconds that will miss 99% of the time and when it does hit, it kills some random nobody that wasnt even on the objective

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Their time would be better spent playing Sniper: Ghost Warrior

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Sab669 posted:

Well then please explain what invaluable service these map-edge AFKers are providing that a Recon player who takes a more active role on the actual map aren't providing, since you clearly know so much.

Sniper fire puts pressure on enemies since they usually can't engage back, and have change their method of attack. They can also engage at unique angles at longer ranges that makes it more difficult for infantry to seek refuge. Sniper harassment can get to a point where an entire squad or vehicle will redirect their efforts to engage lone sniper, while the rest of the snipers team can engage the objectives. Half of points in a conquest game from kills, and snipers typically have a higher K/D ratio. There's also counter sniping, too.

Having less diversity means it's easier for the enemy team to counter you. If they're being engaged by snipers, assault, and support classes, it becomes more of a challenge than just assault and support.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
When I play Halo CTF I like to take the enemy flag and just run out of bounds with it, sometimes I even intentionally take it away from my teammates who are trying to capture it and deliver it back to the enemy. Because I'm allowed to play how I like and how dare anyone get mad at me for doing so.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Charles 1998 posted:

Half of points in a conquest game from kills, and snipers typically have a higher K/D ratio.

:laffo: what series are you playing cause its def not the one ive been playing

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Skyarb posted:

When I play Halo CTF I like to take the enemy flag and just run out of bounds with it, sometimes I even intentionally take it away from my teammates who are trying to capture it and deliver it back to the enemy. Because I'm allowed to play how I like and how dare anyone get mad at me for doing so.

I mean thats basically what the gameplay sabotage report function that worked up half the thread and started this sniper bickering would be for.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

:laffo: what series are you playing cause its def not the one ive been playing

Like I said, it's pretty cringe that people are getting upset over someone not being good at a casual game. The class has little to do with it. If you forced them to play assault, they would probably get an even worse score, and be unhappy because they can't play the way they want to.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Useless recon players are pretty benign tbh. Its not like they'd suddenly become team players if they were forced to pick another class. At least they arent taking up a useful team asset. Like a camping arty truck as an attacker in BF1 operations, players who use aircraft as taxis, pilots who ignore enemy planes, players who give a vehicle to a streamer on the other team, or support players who dont drop ammo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Snipers aren't bad because of their utility or lack thereof, they're bad because snipers in multiplayer shooters are just plain bad game design. :colbert:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Charles 1998 posted:

Like I said, it's pretty cringe that people are getting upset over someone not being good at a casual game. The class has little to do with it. If you forced them to play assault, they would probably get an even worse score, and be unhappy because they can't play the way they want to.

this is less getting mad at lovely players in general and more getting mad at a specific subset of lovely players that play the game in a way that actively makes the game unfun for everyone else in the server

at the end of the day tho, i will never report these players for "gameplay sabotage" or whatever stupid bullshit because they will always exist in this series as long as there are long-range weapons. Instead I will continue to shoot smoke at them and generally gently caress with them to provide myself catharsis

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

this is less getting mad at lovely players in general and more getting mad at a specific subset of lovely players that play the game in a way that actively makes the game unfun for everyone else in the server

at the end of the day tho, i will never report these players for "gameplay sabotage" or whatever stupid bullshit because they will always exist in this series as long as there are long-range weapons. Instead I will continue to shoot smoke at them and generally gently caress with them to provide myself catharsis

You should try a game called Call of Duty. It would suite your playstyle more.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Inner Light posted:

God drat my fault for not picking up a console pre-COVID.

The only Good Consoles (PS5 / Xbox Series X) are backordered to hell. Series X supply may not be able to meet demand until 2023.

https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-series-x-restock-issues-will-continue-to-be-a-challenge-for-quite-a-while

Ughhhh I don't want to spend $2k on this (https://www.microcenter.com/product/636485/powerspec-g438-gaming-pc) but it is at this point my only option. I could lie to myself and say it is helping me get my pilot's license faster if I get Flight Simulator on it too, which could save some money.

Follow Matt Swider

https://twitter.com/mattswider

He announced Series X would be physically in stock at GS, I showed up when gamestop opened, had no problem getting one. There were actually 4 left over when the line was done.

RCarr posted:

Useless sniper spotted

Snipers don't need to be smoked. Just drive a jeep over to them, and hop out right before it runs them over, so that they now have a vehicle they can use at their leisure.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 1, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Charles 1998 posted:

Sniper fire puts pressure on enemies since they usually can't engage back, and have change their method of attack. They can also engage at unique angles at longer ranges that makes it more difficult for infantry to seek refuge. Sniper harassment can get to a point where an entire squad or vehicle will redirect their efforts to engage lone sniper, while the rest of the snipers team can engage the objectives. Half of points in a conquest game from kills, and snipers typically have a higher K/D ratio. There's also counter sniping, too.

Having less diversity means it's easier for the enemy team to counter you. If they're being engaged by snipers, assault, and support classes, it becomes more of a challenge than just assault and support.

I don't know if you know this or not, but you can actually Suppress enemies with your fire without being on the absolute edge of the map. In fact if you're not 2000 meters away you might even actually hit them too :monocle: Similarly, Spotting can also be performed anywhere on the map.

Hope this helps.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Sab669 posted:

I don't know if you know this or not, but you can actually Suppress enemies with your fire without being on the absolute edge of the map. In fact if you're not 2000 meters away you might even actually hit them too :monocle: Similarly, Spotting can also be performed anywhere on the map.

Hope this helps.

And you can stand in capture points without dying 20 times and getting 0 kills.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Charles 1998 posted:

A recon/sniper that uses the class gadgets effectively is far better and more effective for the team than some useless wookie hiding in a bush taking occasional potshots at dudes for sick long distance headshots. In bf4 running a tugs, spawn beacon, a 3.5-4x scope on a bolt action rifle, and an automatic pistol backup was a super effective loadout. It's far more helpful to your squad and team than someone just sitting at the edge of the map.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dog nougat posted:

A recon/sniper that uses the class gadgets effectively is far better and more effective for the team than some useless wookie hiding in a bush taking occasional potshots at dudes for sick long distance headshots. In bf4 running a tugs, spawn beacon, a 3.5-4x scope on a bolt action rifle, and an automatic pistol backup was a super effective loadout. It's far more helpful to your squad and team than someone just sitting at the edge of the map.

I 100% agree. Just like an assault who uses none of his abilities and plays like Call of Duty and never goes near control points is also useless. But for some reason people get their panties in a bunch over snipers.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

We’ve been having this argument about useless snipers for close to 20 years now..

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

toggle posted:

We’ve been having this argument about useless snipers for close to 20 years now..

It's reassuring that DICE has been able to successfully ignore these complaints for that long.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if battlefield ever had a ranked mode you could have snipers that rise to your level of incompetence

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Charles 1998 posted:

I 100% agree. Just like an assault who uses none of his abilities and plays like Call of Duty and never goes near control points is also useless. But for some reason people get their panties in a bunch over snipers.

because the design of the class heavily incentivizes that behavior in a way it doesn't for other classes

it's really not players faults tbh, it's a game design thing - sniping is "cool" and the existence of a class itself says "yes, this is a legitimate use of your time, on a par with anything else you could be doing," and then they give recons bolt actions that unlock 12x+ zooms well before getting access to weapons more suited to aggressive recon/being in a place to actually PTFO and use your gadgets effectively

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Charles 1998 posted:

If nothing else, you can spawn on lovely Medics because they're not on the edge of the map.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's totally justified you're going to have tons of people in your games that don't care about winning via objectives because the game has no ranked mode

so they're going to pad their completely meaningless k/d to boost their e-peen instead

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

Nah, I barely used sniper rifles. I just understand how roles work in the overall setting.

Snipers are trying, and they're contributing. You just don't understand how they contribute, so you're think they're useless. It's no different than thinking medics are useless because people auto heal and respawn. Or support is useless because everyone spawns with full ammo.

No you’re wrong. 99% of snipers are useless.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

toggle posted:

Is it really an argument if everybody agrees and then somebody rolls in to try gaslighting them into thinking that the hill campers are useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

i hope the new battlefield is fun