Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think at this point Nate is irredeemable, he’s going to crash and burn or find a place his attitude is rewarded (like whatever club Rupert’s involved with now). I think he’s going to leave Richmond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m sure by the end of season 3 Nate will be redeemed but yeah it ain’t gonna happen in this season’s finale I don’t think

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah redemption arcs for abusers suck. Being an abuse-victim is a reason, not an excuse.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Nate is such an easy character to hate because everyone else around Ted has seemed to improve and develop for the better around his encouragement and endless positivity. Nate just became more of an rear end in a top hat despite being given such a huge opportunity.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Does anyone else think Akufo is suspicious? Wouldn’t shake hands with Ted but would with Sam, says he doesn’t believe in billionaires but flaunts all the money he’s spending to court Sam. Feels like he wants Sam for good press to cancel out skeletons in his closet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He wouldn’t shake hands with Ted because Ted is a despicable cracker

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Yes he did a bad thing because he really respects Ted, that was on-screen.

Don't know about legality in the UK but it is definitely unethical as poo poo and potentially criminal in some parts of the world. Protecting anonymous sources is journalism 101.

Sports journalism is not real.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Sports journalism is not real.

It is though. Journalism makes no distinction.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sick of Nate. This season has turned him into a shitlord. I hope he fucks off to another team or gets fired or something. I don't see how he can be redeemed, he betrayed the team. I also think that Roy would be better off with that teacher, but that would probably be weird for Phoebe. Also, that billionaire guy seems like he's going to be some sort of supervillain or something. Getting some Hank Scorpio vibes from him.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

njsykora posted:

I think at this point Nate is irredeemable, he’s going to crash and burn or find a place his attitude is rewarded (like whatever club Rupert’s involved with now). I think he’s going to leave Richmond.

He's going to end up being the manager of Rupert's new team next season but I assume he'll get fired by mid season and Ted will forgive him and let him back into the fold.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

ihatepants posted:

Does anyone else think Akufo is suspicious? Wouldn’t shake hands with Ted but would with Sam, says he doesn’t believe in billionaires but flaunts all the money he’s spending to court Sam. Feels like he wants Sam for good press to cancel out skeletons in his closet.

Yup! But the fact that he's played by Sam Richardson means I will be on that character's side forever. That dude is a fantastic actor, funny as hell, and from the few interviews and podcasts I've heard him on seems like a genuinely nice person.

Edit:
Everyone should watch The Detroiters. Very different kinds of humor, but he's hilarious in it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Uggg. gently caress Nate. The story isn’t even that great. He just wanted to be a bully.

Great episode though. I’m glad Keeley told Roy but wow was that awkward. I was worried Roy was going to do something stupid with the teacher but he continues to be an honest person.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Nate sucks but the other thing that sucks is Jon Stewart's new show. I really wanted to like it and the issue they tackled in the first episode is one that definitely needs more attention but the presentation was absolutely dire. Its heart is in the right place but it's just not good television at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

Nate sucks but the other thing that sucks is Jon Stewart's new show. I really wanted to like it and the issue they tackled in the first episode is one that definitely needs more attention but the presentation was absolutely dire. Its heart is in the right place but it's just not good television at all.

I haven't watched it yet but from what I've read he's trying to use the same structure as The Daily Show but with the episode long deep dive format of Last Week Tonight which seems like a bad idea at its core.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Robobot posted:

Yup! But the fact that he's played by Sam Richardson means I will be on that character's side forever.

I haven’t watched the new episode, but I’m marking out already. Amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

I haven't watched it yet but from what I've read he's trying to use the same structure as The Daily Show but with the episode long deep dive format of Last Week Tonight which seems like a bad idea at its core.

The only part that really worked for me was him interviewing someone from the VA and making them squirm. Otherwise yeah, a worthy topic but not great TV

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

You really don’t understand English football journalism if you think this is true.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Ted Lasso chat:

Was getting worked up just watching Ted read the letter. Absolutely no need to write anything there, just let Jason Sudeikis take it away.

Sam's adventure was only slightly less fantastical than Beard's was.

I loved the tiny touch of Ted and Trent's brand new text conversation saying "Maybe: Trent Crimm" in the header. Whoever Apple's paying to ensure every iOS feature appears on screen is doing great.

I'm not a UK legal expert but lol at the idea that it's illegal to burn a source. Also at "off the record" being a thing any more than "I'll buy the next round".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is Nate using an Android phone

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Azhais posted:

So is Nate using an Android phone

He was using an iPhone during his Twitter scrolling earlier in the series.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The iPhone rule seems to not be hard and fast -- certainly on their own shows, e.g. Servant -- but villains on Legends of Tomorrow, etc. have totally used Apple products before.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I don’t expect apples own shows to have any competitor products. Hell if Ted lasso went to the nfl you better believe those surfaces on the sidelines will be iPads.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only complaint with the episode is I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pinball machine in that kind of place. Loved the episode from start to end.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The scene where Ted read the letter was brilliant nonverbal acting by Sudekis and Sarah Niles. Who cares what the letter said, their faces told you the story. I also enjoyed the Good Will Hunting reference at the end where Ted stole Sharon's move.

Nate's a poo poo, you hate to see it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really should have been posting Film Crit Hulk’s reviews every week as he nails the psychology of this season in a way some of the angriest complainers really could have done with comprehending. Here’s this week’s https://www.patreon.com/posts/ted-lasso-s2-ep-56886865

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat, Mr. Corman got cancelled :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

drat, Mr. Corman got cancelled :(

Yeah, feels like they were just waiting for it to end so they could announce the news and move on. Very sad.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I want Roy to hook up with the teacher mostly because his relationship with Keeley is so utterly dull, both characters have suffered from the show being watered down this season.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Does the Big Book of Journalism Ethics say "if a single source with obvious ulterior motives tells you something and can offer no corroborating evidence for it, smash that PUBLISH button"?

Ungratek posted:

You really don’t understand English football journalism if you think this is true.

Yeah football journalism, or really most entertainment journalism, is just stenography for people within clubs or agents. There's no ethics to it.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 2, 2021

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ted Lasso: the meanest show on television, where good-looking, confident, successful, tall white people learn it was a mistake to show compassion to sad, bullied, short, socially awkward ethnic minorities.

This might be an uncharitable reading of the text, I'll admit.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Wow, did you steal that from somewhere?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Does the Big Book of Journalism Ethics say "if a single source with obvious ulterior motives tells you something and can offer no corroborating evidence for it, smash that PUBLISH button"?

Yes and no? It's really just classic yellow journalism (which is why that distinction gets made). :shrug:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Finally Nate made his move. Good god that should’ve happened 3 episodes ago. So glad he’s finally showing his colors. What a little bastard. I hope Sam leaves so I don’t have to see anymore of the Sam/Rebecca dynamic.

Based on how they described this as the Empire Strikes Back season I’m guessing Sam leaves, Nate burns all the bridges before going to whatever Ruperts doing, and Keeley/Roy breakup. Oh and the team gets promoted.

I genuinely hate the weekly release format. It’s a thing Disney does as well to stretch out the cultural relevancy of the show but what ends up happening is all the pacing flaws are painfully exposed. Releasing it all at once to binge helps smooth over a lot of weaknesses like how long they took to do the Nate reveal. It’s just compounded bc they added two extra episodes for padding. I hope they stop doing it but next season I’m going to wait until there’s at least 9 eps out before starting to watch.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 2, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I like a weekly release schedule because it helps drive discussion. Having the entire season out at once hurts online discussion because you basically have to watch a whole season before you can discuss it anywhere or it might get spoiled. It also helps individual episodes stand out.

I can def understand disliking the weekly release schedule though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

EL BROMANCE posted:

My only complaint with the episode is I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pinball machine in that kind of place. Loved the episode from start to end.

amusement machines are pretty common in pubs/bars

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I dunno about ethics, but it might feel worse because the media were told a lie about why Ted left the match, and this new info makes more sense. Though come to think of it, that lie got to the media via Nate.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Finally Nate made his move. Good god that should’ve happened 3 episodes ago. So glad he’s finally showing his colors. What a little bastard. I hope Sam leaves so I don’t have to see anymore of the Sam/Rebecca dynamic.

Based on how they described this as the Empire Strikes Back season I’m guessing Sam leaves, Nate burns all the bridges before going to whatever Ruperts doing, and Keeley/Roy breakup. Oh and the team gets promoted.

This is my guess too (and feeling about Sam/Rebecca).

quote:

I genuinely hate the weekly release format.

I hate it for the first couple weeks, then I love it for having another thing to look forward to for the next two months. Goes both ways though like you said, if an episode leaves a bitter taste you're stuck with it all week.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The pacing this season has been horrible.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
the show has managed to convince me they should break up keeley and roy now that two of my favorite characters no longer get interesting plots bc they're stuck in dumb dating plots every episode since mid season, so i guess well done writers. i just want more roy plots that dont center on him being a good boyfriend. the beginning of the season stuff with him doing commenting and then joining the coaching staff were all so good. and god idk how they're going to fix keeley but she kinda sucks now, let her be fun again please.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I really should have been posting Film Crit Hulk’s reviews every week as he nails the psychology of this season in a way some of the angriest complainers really could have done with comprehending. Here’s this week’s https://www.patreon.com/posts/ted-lasso-s2-ep-56886865

It doesn’t address the issue that I’ve stated like half a dozen times. It’s tone deaf with power dynamics to have Rebecca and Sam to be together or put any emotional stakes in it because she’s his boss. Any justification of this is just insanely tone deaf. Even if the show played it as morally questionable but “true love” it would work better than them just saying “it’s fine!” Also, older men dating too young and being raked over the coals for this, but Sam’s supposed to be what? 23? 24? And Rebekah is supposed to be what? 50’s? That’s a huge age gap. If the genders were flipped it would be “gross”.

I want Roy and the teacher to be together because Keely has become a shell of her former character.

The drop off in quality here is worse than the last two seasons of Game of Thrones. At least there everyone acting like idiots fit with what we had seen prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

the show has managed to convince me they should break up keeley and roy now that two of my favorite characters no longer get interesting plots bc they're stuck in dumb dating plots every episode since mid season, so i guess well done writers. i just want more roy plots that dont center on him being a good boyfriend. the beginning of the season stuff with him doing commenting and then joining the coaching staff were all so good. and god idk how they're going to fix keeley but she kinda sucks now, let her be fun again please.

Her and Ted not hanging out hugely hurt. They had a great friendship and it really helped flesh out both of them.