Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

I think pics were requested…

unfortunately it panics on startup attempting to find console hardware, because I suspect the 37900D’s display hardware for the EL is slightly different than what NetBSD’s drivers expect

NICE!

what was the stock os?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the stock “OS” is the HP BASIC/Pascal Workstation system which is extremely primitive, dating from the early 1980s and adapted from HP’s earlier instrumentation systems

one reason I’m so eager to get NetBSD booted is so I can dd the hard disk to my server, both to preserve it and see just how it’s all implemented

it includes the software modules for setting up and using TCP/IP from BASIC and Pascal, which are hard to find otherwise, so I’d love to get those imaged and maybe use them with some other HP gear (like my adorable little 9816 aka 9000-216, for which I have a LAN card)

(oops, wrong pic, edited the right one in)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
neat.

i think the weirdest i've ever had to work on was an early 90s embedded os written for an industrial control system, unix like but not unix, and entirely in german. i think a lot of the knowledge of that stuff is just lost to time at this point.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

eschaton posted:

the stock “OS” is the HP BASIC/Pascal Workstation system which is extremely primitive, dating from the early 1980s and adapted from HP’s earlier instrumentation systems

one reason I’m so eager to get NetBSD booted is so I can dd the hard disk to my server, both to preserve it and see just how it’s all implemented

it includes the software modules for setting up and using TCP/IP from BASIC and Pascal, which are hard to find otherwise, so I’d love to get those imaged and maybe use them with some other HP gear (like my adorable little 9816 aka 9000-216, for which I have a LAN card)

owns
amberpos ftw

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

eschaton posted:

just put ubuntu server on it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Olivil posted:

owns
amberpos ftw

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty sure btrfs is now cool and good now that arstechnicas zfs correspondent has written 5000 words about how it is bad and dumb https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/examining-btrfs-linuxs-perpetually-half-finished-filesystem/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's cool and good if you only ever use it as a single disk file system, just lmao at everything else.

I knew about a lot of its deficiencies, but the article showed me a few additional horrors, so that's certainly something…

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh no a filesystem is not perfect if you use it on random scrounged disks to cobble together an array and expect enterprise-grade reliability who would have thought it?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

yeah you need ZFS for that

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

pretty sure btrfs is now cool and good now that arstechnicas zfs correspondent has written 5000 words about how it is bad and dumb https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/examining-btrfs-linuxs-perpetually-half-finished-filesystem/

the whole article is a diatribe against raid56, but it's framed like btrfs is in shambles

the other issue which is mentioned is already fixed if i recall correctly

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ars technica is weirdly (but also, not surprisingly) wrong about a lot of very technical stuff

at any rate, I'm still of the mind that a dedicated raid layer is better than delegating that stuff to a file system

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
yeah, as the article states, btrfs is a perfectly cromulent single-disk filesystem to replace xfs or ext4, and the additional features like atomic snapshots or reflink file copies can be really nice in that situation

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I would go so far as to say that snapshots are an absolutely mandatory feature of a modern filesystem unless for a USB drive or something, so that basically means btrfs or ZFS.

I use btrfs RAID1 for an array of various size disks, and it works great. I know the possible risks and do regular backups (which you should do no matter which setup you have).

Neslepaks posted:

yeah you need ZFS for that

ZFS doesn't let you cobble together random disks into an array, which is a downside for people on a budget or with hand-me-down hardware, but it also means your disks are going to be new to be of the same size, and hence less likely to fail.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 1, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

ZFS doesn't let you cobble together random disks into an array, which is a downside for people on a budget or with hand-me-down hardware, but it also means your disks are going to be new to be of the same size, and hence less likely to fail.

you also can't expand vdevs yet, which makes trying to add a bit of storage to an array a real pain. there is finally a pull request to add support for it, but realistically it's still a year or more out from being in a production release

if zfs were able to overcome the licensing bullshit and be merged into the kernel, btrfs would have no reason to exist

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

sb hermit posted:

ars technica is weirdly (but also, not surprisingly) wrong about a lot of very technical stuff

at any rate, I'm still of the mind that a dedicated raid layer is better than delegating that stuff to a file system

The article is completely correct though.

The whole point of having a simple mirror of two devices is to protect against one of those devices dying. Having to go through a rescue shell just because one drive dropped off is insane and it was the deciding factor why none of our system drive pairs are btrfs. I didn't know btrfs would even gently caress up when the lost drive comes back. The whole bloody point of that entire exercise is that I don't have to janitor this poo poo.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I would go so far as to say that snapshots are an absolutely mandatory feature of a modern filesystem unless for a USB drive or something, so that basically means btrfs or ZFS.

this is a completely deranged opinion

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is btrfs still pig slow with mounted container volumes?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Is btrfs still pig slow

yes

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nomnom Cookie posted:

this is a completely deranged opinion

Checksumming, too. Don't use an FS that doesn't have it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Excellent to know!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

if zfs were able to overcome the licensing bullshit and be merged into the kernel, btrfs would have no reason to exist

why should it ever be merged into the kernel? why does anything need to be?

as long as the kernel exposes a stable set interfaces, projects like ZFS can and should be able to exist outside it, be built independently, and still just work

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the zen kernel on your laptop — yes? no?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Is btrfs still pig slow with mounted container volumes?

not if you remember to chattr +C it

btrfs needs janitoring for db and containers, but it's not slow

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

eschaton posted:

why should it ever be merged into the kernel? why does anything need to be?

as long as the kernel exposes a stable set interfaces, projects like ZFS can and should be able to exist outside it, be built independently, and still just work

because it will hold it to a higher standard of scrutiny and compatibility

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Turning off COW on a COW fs is some insane hacky poo poo.

Having COW in the fs means you can guarantee atomicity, which means you can jettison a ton of extra work an rdbms is doing to keep a consistent state despite other file systems being unreliable.

Turning off COW turns off checksumming for fucks sake.

Btrfs really is a joke file system for any serious usage beyond a single disk.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i lost all respect for btrfs and its advocates with that chattr +C poo poo. admit that your approach has tradeoffs and own it. if you can't do that then you've got no business claiming that you're making software for grownups

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

as long as the kernel exposes a stable set interfaces

this will never happen and you know it and you know why lmao

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
btrfs chat is timely and has reminded me that i will not try to use it when i build a nas

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs is fine and of course you should turn off CoW when using it with a db or large vms

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i lost all respect for btrfs and its advocates with that chattr +C poo poo. admit that your approach has tradeoffs and own it. if you can't do that then you've got no business claiming that you're making software for grownups

wow

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's illegal to tweak your system for your workload

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Btrfs really is a joke file system for any serious usage beyond a single disk.

if you have an nvme drive, you are leaving performance on the table by not using xfs, especially as more software takes advantage of io_uring

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also don't forget to set the "make it go fast" options on dm-crypt in case your distro's setup program doesn't set them for you automatically (no-read-workqueue, no-write-workqueue)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

it's illegal to tweak your system for your workload

it explains a lot about your posting if this is sincere

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

never change, linux thread

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

btrfs is fine and of course you should turn off CoW when using it with a db or large vms

to be honest, I'll probably switch back to btrfs once rhel makes it standard in its out-of-the-box kernels, at least for my file servers

which may come soon, if desktop btrfs continues to gain traction

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
In a non-trolly fashion I don't understand how with the backing of Facebook and RHEL the RAID5/6 issues are still a thing. Is it just fundamentally broken?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

because it will hold it to a higher standard of scrutiny and compatibility

I’d think having stable binary interfaces would provide a much higher standard of compatibility since their behavior can’t really change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

eschaton posted:

I’d think having stable binary interfaces would provide a much higher standard of compatibility since their behavior can’t really change

never change