Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

carry on then posted:

it was a joke dude jesus

If you're going to nerd out, some goon will nerd out twice as hard, it's a law of nature no less than "there's a cliff racer there just as you think you've got a moment of peace".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's going to be (already is, I'm sure) a real weird dichotomy where the people in blue states don't personally know anyone who died of covid, or like just one friend's old grandma, and everyone in Florida and Arkansas and poo poo are going to have a dozen deaths in their extended family alone.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i don’t personally know anyone who’s died of covid. i barely know anyone who’s even had it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

etc etc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Same. The closest person I know who has died of covid is a student's father, and that was in Italy at the beginning. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who've had it, and three of those are my relatives in North Carolina.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 2, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

i don’t personally know anyone who’s died of covid. i barely know anyone who’s even had it

we're over a half dozen extended family who've gotten it (and recovered)

all but one lives in texas lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_1PXfatWA

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

loving doomsayers talking about 1kilodeath per day

lol indeed, they were way off

in the before times my irl friend group was part of a larger discord that had a few chuds in it that we tolerated. when this was first breaking out in china i did some basic napkin math and figured that we could easily be looking at millions dead here if we didn't take dramatic measures to curb it. they all made fun of me and said i had no idea what i was talking about. even the doctor in the group who 100% understood the mortality rate and r0 of covid, he even would pause and go, 'no it's gonna die off in a couple of months'

i still think about that a lot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

even the doctor in the group who 100% understood the mortality rate and r0 of covid, he even would pause and go, 'no it's gonna die off in a couple of months'

i mean the crisis had been nipped in the bud with other sars variants, playing the odds said this one would go that way too

except this time respirator crew was right

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

idk what jan 22nd is and also we're already over a million deaths

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean the crisis had been nipped in the bud with other sars variants, playing the odds said this one would go that way too

except this time respirator crew was right

now that you mention it i'd like to see what the other sars outbreaks looked like at the very beginning and if this one actually did look the same or if we really should have known better

my gut is telling me the latter but i genuinely don't know

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

considering how hard florida's cooked the books I bet the actual number is already rapidly approaching if not over a million

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

in the before times my irl friend group was part of a larger discord that had a few chuds in it that we tolerated. when this was first breaking out in china i did some basic napkin math and figured that we could easily be looking at millions dead here if we didn't take dramatic measures to curb it. they all made fun of me and said i had no idea what i was talking about. even the doctor in the group who 100% understood the mortality rate and r0 of covid, he even would pause and go, 'no it's gonna die off in a couple of months'

i had to get on FB for an account i admin and saw my personal feed

someone i've known a long time, medical professional linking to NORWAY GENIUSES DECLARE COVID A MILD FLU

debunked by the crappiest source that popped up from google phew

and yeah the county coroners ^^^^ saying every dead senior had pneumonia or w/e

only 40 somethings can make it to the hospital to be turned down

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Kazinsal posted:

considering how hard florida's cooked the books I bet the actual number is already rapidly approaching if not over a million

excess mortality is already well over a million. sure a good chunk of those are people not being able to get access to a hospital for other reasons but at this point what's the difference?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this but hey boy hey girl

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

the only person I’ve known personally who died of covid was my grandmother, who died in the days before the vaccine. she lived in Florida and didn’t wear a mask and my chud-rear end uncle had her taking collodial silver as a prophylactic. unfortunately, my uncle has not died of covid yet.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
two of my cousins have gotten it twice

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
it killed two of my grandparents. They got it and died a few weeks before vaccines were available.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/papa_rosh/status/1362069645482729474

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

it killed two of my grandparents. They got it and died a few weeks before vaccines were available.

i'm sorry to hear that :(

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
my chinese tutor (who is also a professor who teaches classes) and her boyfriend both survived covid but her ~50 year old colleague died. my tutor had to take over two of the dead teacher's classes. also, the last communication they had was the dead teacher saying she didn't want to get vaccinated.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

are the CHUDs dead?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it really is incredible what an aberration post wwii u.s.a. is. flying high for a few decades thanks to being one of the only major powers left standing in the wreckage before eventually succumbing to its base instincts and utterly canabilizing itself

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

graph posted:

i'm sorry to hear that :(

thank you, i appreciate it.

my grandpa was a pretty incredible person, like objectively. he was a us marine, an anti-racist who objected to the racist military propaganda while he was serving against the japanese but not the germans, got in poo poo and lost a good job for disobeying an order to disallow black soldiers from taking leave (he was in charge of inspecting soldiers leaving base). he later worked as a journalist for a union newspaper, then organized for a few decades. i googled his name after he died and found it in some HUAC records too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

thank you, i appreciate it.

my grandpa was a pretty incredible person, like objectively. he was a us marine, an anti-racist who objected to the racist military propaganda while he was serving against the japanese but not the germans, got in poo poo and lost a good job for disobeying an order to disallow black soldiers from taking leave (he was in charge of inspecting soldiers leaving base). he later worked as a journalist for a union newspaper, then organized for a few decades. i googled his name after he died and found it in some HUAC records too.

sorry to hear that, but also awesome

(lost one coworker temporarily, asymptomatic, not a good person, still came back dgaf)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

PIZZA.BAT posted:

idk what jan 22nd is and also we're already over a million deaths

january 2022

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

eschaton posted:

are the CHUDs dead?

i very much doubt it they were all in their 20s and except for one were all in pretty good health. i also don't really care they were all really terrible people for different reasons

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

oh

ooohhh

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

maybe it will go away. like magic

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:cmon:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i keep forgetting that it's not only 2021 but we're almost through it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It's twenty-twenty. Twenty-twenty part two is about to begin.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's confusticating because fiscal year 2021 will go on and then it will blend and one day you will endorse a physical check or sign a doc and the year will be wildly inappropriate

and so it goes

https://time.is/Unix

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've hosed up the date on like half my rent checks this year

still feels this way https://i.imgur.com/LS60WhI.mp4

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Oneiros posted:

i've hosed up the date on like half my rent checks this year

still feels this way https://i.imgur.com/LS60WhI.mp4

lmfao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

now that you mention it i'd like to see what the other sars outbreaks looked like at the very beginning and if this one actually did look the same or if we really should have known better

my gut is telling me the latter but i genuinely don't know

SARS 1 was different because it didn't spread a- or presymptomatically, and it had a 30% case fatality rate. So it was fairly easy to isolate cases once they started getting symptoms, you could be pretty sure they hadn't infected anyone before they got symptomatic. And most of them had to go to hospital anyway because it's so much more virulent so there weren't very many people going around in the population infecting people.

I think this is why public health experts were initially a bit dismissive of SARS-CoV-2 because if it hadn't spread pre- or asymptomatically like it does it would have been a lot easier to nip it in the bud using testing, contact tracing and isolation, and travel restrictions.

MERS doesn't really spread from person to person iirc, so it's mostly limited to the Middle East where most of the animal reservoir is cultivated (camels).

MERS is still going on btw, there are a handful of cases each year. 40% fatality rate.

We also have a vaccine for camels that could stop it but camel owners don't want to give it to them because they feel it makes the camel impure or some dumb poo poo like that and it makes them worth less money.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 2, 2021

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1444011612021657603?s=21
https://twitter.com/70ceeks/status/1444135559962705924?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/antlerantler/status/1440342363918852105?s=21

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

all cops ate burrito

edit gently caress Albuquerque cop ate burrito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lmao