Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Silvio looks like Season 7 Pete Campbell.

a shameful snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

one of the many odd turns this movie took was to have frank lucas
Sopranos already referenced guys like Gotti so it's not outta left field

banned from Starbucks posted:

So anyway yeah
This movie was a mess. Sil is an ageless vampire caricature. Johnny boy is pretty nonexistent. Every other character is just kinda...there. Vera Farmiga is on ok Livia who half the time seems to be doing more of a Carmella impression, but ok Tony getting with someone like his mother isn't new. Not sure what Chase intended with the Newark riots part because it was barely a backdrop. Same with Dickies relationship with Harold I guess to just throw off the Junior thing? The references were so many and distracting it took me out of the movie. I kept trying to think where in the series each of the 20ish call backs were from and if they were important or not (especially the names). 2 hours and Dickie has like 4 scenes with Tony. We're supposed to question if the prison visits are real or imaginary but...why? Theres nothing there that changes anything if it was all made up. This thing really needed more of the actual Sopranos writers in there to polish this up. Its Things That Kinda Happen: The Movie.

The whole Newark riots thing goes back to what Tony was saying in Sopranos about coming in at the end of things. The world is changing faster than the Mafia can keep up. You see this with Harold, The Riots, and Giuseppina. Back in the day A guy like Harold would never have tried to get his own slice of the numbers, but with the increased social consciousness and proof that it could be done with a guy like Lucas he strikes out instead of just taking the scraps left by Moltisanti. Giuseppina as well leaves Italy as she desires her own version of the American dream, one where she can be independent and live her own life. That's why she tries to play Dickie and Harlod off eachother, willing to play both of them to try and get a slice for herself. Unfortunately for herself, while dickie himself is part of these changing times, literally killing his father and supplanting him in the organization, he's also incapable of moving past the way he was raised and lashes out killing her.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I didn’t hate it, but It would of been a great seven or eight episode series.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This movie is creamin' for me

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I loved the Sopranos, but I felt like this seemed like a fanfiction to me. Down to the lines they make sure to squeeze in certain characters saying in a 2 hour film. I know it's written by Chase and all but, it just didn't click for me. Glad some people enjoyed it.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Yeah this was pretty whatever

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The end credits scene was odd. I’m not sure what exactly it meant.
I liked the movie, it wasn’t great but it was definitely enjoyable.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I loved the Sopranos, but I felt like this seemed like a fanfiction to me. Down to the lines they make sure to squeeze in certain characters saying in a 2 hour film. I know it's written by Chase and all but, it just didn't click for me. Glad some people enjoyed it.

Yeah, this felt like the solo a star wars story of the sopranos to me. The actors did what they could I suppose but mostly I feel embarrassed for everyone else involved

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 2, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A For Effort posted:

Where was the loving comedy?

What this?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Lmao loving Junior.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Lmao loving Junior.

You couldn't even if you wanted to

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Super meh.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
got a chortle out of "neil young"

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Hopefully the next one will be a miniseries, if it gets made

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loving love the Sopranos and my family got together at 6 AM to watch a violent mob movie and anyways. . . Here's my piece:

- From what I gathered, Junior is kind of meh on women, so that's why he never got married. "always an excuse not to gently caress" seemed to indicate he's not very HIGH TESTOSTERONE AYY IM FUCKIN HERE' kinda Italian American bonafide mobster. In the show he makes references to his first handjob, broad in the car waiting to tongue his balls, the whole cunnilingus debacle, but not sex itself. So could Junior just have a very low sex drive and he's kind of insecure about it? The movie portrayed him as cagey, insecure, and whiny.

-Silvio-Uhh...Okay so they retconned him to be bald and wearing a wig the whole time and everybody on the Sopranos knew he had a wig on and just went with it??? Whatever I guess. It would make sense because these guys are HIGHLY SENSITIVE and that's why it would never be brought up on the show, but you would think Paulie/Tony would bring it up when they get in little pissy fights. Who knows.

-I think them showing promo shots and hyping the movie up like oh man you get to see Paulie/Big Pussy/Silvio when they are younger, but you really didn't. It seems like the movie went through a lot of changes and different directions as time went on, which would explain why the movie is kind of a choppy mess. Yeah it's literally called the Many Saints of Newark, but at the beginning it didn't seem like this movie was promoted as the Dickie Moltisanti story, but the "many saints" being a reference to the Guys in general.

-The references to the show felt FORCED. Get it? Making of a varsity athlete? GET IT!? Oh look, Junior fell, like he did on the show! The band is playing Baubles, bangles and beads, like on the boat! Livia is saying the thing, she's doing it, like the show! Meh. . .

-It felt like the focus was the Riots, but then .. .Wasn't the focus at all, and then bam here's Frank Lucas. Just disjointed and messy.

It was a loving mess. Chase could make little miniseries and milk this thing forever, he has to focus tho. The film lacked focus. A 20 minute episode of how Bobby Bacala SR became the Terminator. Junior running around with Murf and Beppy before they were old. Johnny Sack and Carmine, etc etc. You could do SO MUCH with the Sopranos if Chase really wanted. It's ultimately up to him.

night slime
May 14, 2014

AFewBricksShy posted:

The end credits scene was odd. I’m not sure what exactly it meant.
I liked the movie, it wasn’t great but it was definitely enjoyable.

Harold moving up in the world (he's getting stared at by the white guy with a broom) like Tony's dad was freaking out about in the car.

This article answers a lot of questions I keep seeing here pretty well and has some info about deleted scenes: https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/many-saints-newark-recap-spoilers-1232129/

I do agree that the movie should have been longer or a series...stuff like people talking about Johnny Soprano's personality seemed mostly contextless. It's too bad the Sopranos apparently really blew up on streaming right after they finished most of the movie, they seem like they're champing at the bit for a new TV show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Chase was insistent not just that this be a movie but that it be 2 hours or less, which…..might have worked better had he not made it so sprawling lol

e: lol I literally posted that article not that many posts ago

night slime
May 14, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently Chase was insistent not just that this be a movie but that it be 2 hours or less, which…..might have worked better had he not made it so sprawling lol

e: lol I literally posted that article not that many posts ago

Lol yeah that's probably where I found it, sorry/thanks.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

-Silvio-Uhh...Okay so they retconned him to be bald and wearing a wig the whole time and everybody on the Sopranos knew he had a wig on and just went with it??? Whatever I guess. It would make sense because these guys are HIGHLY SENSITIVE and that's why it would never be brought up on the show, but you would think Paulie/Tony would bring it up when they get in little pissy fights. Who knows.

I think they are extremely sensitive and know not to go there...they never talk about Ralphie's hair until he's dead. If they razzed them about it in front of women it probably would send them over the edge. Remember that he immediately shoots a guy right afterwards...probably the same insecurity territory that ends up with Fat Dom getting stabbed.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

night slime posted:

Lol yeah that's probably where I found it, sorry/thanks.

I think they are extremely sensitive and know not to go there...they never talk about Ralphie's hair until he's dead. If they razzed them about it in front of women it probably would send them over the edge. Remember that he immediately shoots a guy right afterwards...probably the same insecurity territory that ends up with Fat Dom getting stabbed.

Yeah this makes sense. Like Tony being reallll sensitive about his weight.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

mmmmmboyy are you bald!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Peter Daou Zen posted:

This part was actually pretty funny since little steven is clearly bald irl and has basically never been seen without some sort of hat or bandana or wig. I always wondered if they were trying to pass his wig off as actual hair in the show, or if it was supposed to be a hairpiece. So seeing him young with a combover felt like a pretty ace move imo. They jumped the shark with having him actually get "the" Silvio hair later on and doing a gag with it though. it was more fun to put 2+2 together.

It almost felt like sort of a burn lol. Like this is the only picture I've ever seen of him without a hat. 1975

Oh wait and I guess this much more recent one with very real hair

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 2, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Movie was fine, I enjoyed watching it and there were parts I adored. Agree with a lot of the observations though that it felt overstuffed and tried just a little too hard to fit just a few too many nods and winks in. I also feel like it very deliberately left things open for a follow-up movie, and to be honest while there are plotlines and characters I wouldn't mind seeing more of, I'd much rather see this as a limited tv series or something than a movie.

Corey Stoll did not work for me as Junior at all, which is a shame since I really like him as an actor. That said, I do think it's kinda perfect that ultimately all those little teases of the people who wanted to kill Dickie for doing so many horrible things were red herrings and what got Dickie killed was bruising Junior's ego by laughing at him when he slipped in public. When you think about all the crazy poo poo that ended up spinning out of that and being felt for DECADES to come it's a great reveal.

Michael Gandolfini did a great job. It was a huge set of shoes to step into, even moreso considering it was his dad, but I think he really comes across as a person slowly forming into what we know will become the Tony Soprano of the show. In addition to that, I'm glad I didn't know ahead of time that the movie would open and close with narration by a dead Christopher - on paper it sounds like an awful idea but I actually ended up really liking how it worked out, and it makes for a hell of a closing line to the film.

My absolute, absolute favorite scenes though were (surprise surprise) between Tony and Livia. Vera Farmiga is great, I love that she's not just echoing Nancy Marchand but Edie Falco as well, you can really see obvious similarities between a younger Livia and an older Carmela. Melfi would have had a field day if she could have been a fly on the wall during some of those scenes. The scene where Livia remembers reading the story to Tony is heartbreaking, and the scene shortly after that where she tries to do something nice for him but can't help herself from going off on one of her tirades were absolutely the high watermarks of the film and would have made the film worth watching even if the rest of the film was garbage... which thankfully it was not!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 2, 2021

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

veni veni veni posted:

This part was actually pretty funny since little steven is clearly bald irl and has basically never been seen without some sort of hat or bandana or wig. I always wondered if they were trying to pass his wig off as actual hair in the show, or if it was supposed to be a hairpiece. So seeing him young with a combover felt like a pretty ace move imo. They jumped the shark with having him actually get "the" Silvio hair later on and doing a gag with it though. it was more fun to put 2+2 together.

It almost felt like sort of a burn lol. Like this is the only picture I've ever seen of him without a hat. 1975

Oh wait and I guess this much more recent one with very real hair

little stevie doesn't wear bandanas because he's bald, he got in a car accident as a kid that scarred his head.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sure he would love to hear that you believe that.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Though many productions do, this had a big series of reshoots about a year ago if I remember correctly. I wonder what/why the changed up what they did.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

davecrazy posted:

I didn’t hate it, but It would of been a great seven or eight episode series.

That's where I'm at. I'm wondering why I saw it in a cinema rather than over the course of a miniseries. It didn't have the pacing of a film at all, and it felt like it needed a lot more time to do what it was trying to achieve.

I do want to rewatch it when it's out on streaming services to try and work out who every character is meant to be, especially Tony's friends. Most of them got named but they went way too fast and it was only the caricatures like Sil that were really obvious.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

TheBuilder posted:

Though many productions do, this had a big series of reshoots about a year ago if I remember correctly. I wonder what/why the changed up what they did.

Probably a larger refocus on the riots and young tony if I had to guess

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't read the prison scenes with Sally as all in Dickie's head because Dickie doesn't know they had Jews in the Middle Ages but Sally gives him a basic outline on Buddhism. Hard to think that Dickie doesn't even know super basic poo poo about his own religion but would have an understanding of a religion he'd likely never have come into contact with

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PostNouveau posted:

I don't read the prison scenes with Sally as all in Dickie's head because Dickie doesn't know they had Jews in the Middle Ages but Sally gives him a basic outline on Buddhism. Hard to think that Dickie doesn't even know super basic poo poo about his own religion but would have an understanding of a religion he'd likely never have come into contact with

Wait what? There's people who think this? There's literally nothing in the movie to even remotely indicate it's in his head.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never underestimate Sopranos fan's ability to have completely off the charts theories.

SO DA WHOLE THING WITH DA THING? YEAH, A DREAM!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait what? There's people who think this? There's literally nothing in the movie to even remotely indicate it's in his head.

A couple posters on the last couple pages. I mean it's all open to interpretation of course but I didn't really feel it and I don't think the film even welcomes the question. Dickie is just too fundamentally incurious to cook up an angel on his shoulder foil to his father.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I assumed it was because of the scene where Dickie has a flashback/fantasy and is then suddenly sitting at an empty table.

But I doubt many prisons let people visit no one and sit on their own for hours.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Slightly inquisitive goomba* Buddhism? Da gently caress is dat?

*Silviolishly* You know. . .Guy sits under a tree. . . Maybe he knows something, maybe he doesn't *shrugs* You know, the known and the unknown*

*Big moron in the back* I know somethin', ya wife's got an rear end I'd like to bury my braciole in!

*Buncha guys together* Hooooo hooooo!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

stev posted:

That's where I'm at. I'm wondering why I saw it in a cinema rather than over the course of a miniseries. It didn't have the pacing of a film at all, and it felt like it needed a lot more time to do what it was trying to achieve.

I do want to rewatch it when it's out on streaming services to try and work out who every character is meant to be, especially Tony's friends. Most of them got named but they went way too fast and it was only the caricatures like Sil that were really obvious.

I think the kid he starts the betting thing at elementary school with is Artie. Artie also drives the ice cream truck while Jackie and Tony take out the guy driving it. Wasn't sure who the guy Tony got in a fight with in front of Carmella was

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

stev posted:

I assumed it was because of the scene where Dickie has a flashback/fantasy and is then suddenly sitting at an empty table.

But I doubt many prisons let people visit no one and sit on their own for hours.

I just assumed Dickie got so lost in thought that the guy just got up and left.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think the kid he starts the betting thing at elementary school with is Artie. Artie also drives the ice cream truck while Jackie and Tony take out the guy driving it. Wasn't sure who the guy Tony got in a fight with in front of Carmella was

More spoilers sorry.
Tony at the phone booth fights Jackie Aprile

stev posted:

It's definitely that scene that makes people think that. I don't doubt that he was really visiting him , but that scene made me question exactly how much of those discussions actually took place.

I loved the Joe Pesci cameo One of the records that Dickie gives to Sally was Joe Pesci's record

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 2, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a838Bv-UsMU

Quite the toe-tapper.

Yes, I know, not that one.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joe Pesci's new album is fantastic and I like putting it on while cooking :).

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Davy! The Many Saints of Newark, I liked it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It should’ve been longer, but also, it being longer would’ve just been self indulgent. I was a little blind sided when I noticed the TV dinner trays and I had to pause it to see what the runtime was and how much time was left.

Junior telling Dickie they’re brothers at his fathers funeral then having him murdered was some dark poo poo